Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

X-O posted:

Yup. It's still the best comic book movie ever made.

Mystery Men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Jamesman posted:

Mystery Men

Please direct me to the Mystery Men comic book. I'll buy two copies.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

If Wonder Woman is the DCEU film that breaks the mold by being a critical darling AND is loved by fans... I will be so loving happy :unsmith:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

Please direct me to the Mystery Men comic book. I'll buy two copies.

Weren't they side characters from The Flaming Carrot? I think I remember that from reading the Wikipedia once.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Weren't they side characters from The Flaming Carrot? I think I remember that from reading the Wikipedia once.

Indeed.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah, it was incredibly loosely based on a concepts from Flaming Carrot, but that's good enough for me to call it the best comic book movie ever.

If you wanna call it a superhero movie though, that's fine. Then it's just the second-best superhero movie (first is Blankman).

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Holy poo poo, they're She's All Thating MJ.

They're going to Love Don't Cost A Thing her?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

glitchwraith posted:

So, to you, the phrase "The director showed great respect to the source material," is nonsensical?

Irrelevant, more like.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jamesman posted:

Yeah, it was incredibly loosely based on a concepts from Flaming Carrot, but that's good enough for me to call it the best comic book movie ever.

If you wanna call it a superhero movie though, that's fine. Then it's just the second-best superhero movie (first is Blankman).

My pick for best comic book movie is Dredd. :v:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Rhyno posted:

There's also a SS sequel almost certainly happening and talk of a Deadshot spinoff as well.

But LOL Suicide Squad was a flop right?

Not a flop, but it still doesn't make it a good movie. I personally thought even Robbie and Smith's performances were poor.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
There absolutely was a Mystery Men comic, there's one in my attic somewhere. It was either a one-off or limited series though. (And yes, it was a Flaming Carrot spin-off.)

edit: it looks like the Internet has forgotten this existed, so just to prove I'm not crazy:

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 14, 2016

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I didn't know there was an Adam West Batman movie...

I'm pretty stoked for Lego Batman next year, though.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Schneider Heim posted:

I'm pretty stoked for Lego Batman next year, though.

oh my god are you in for a treat

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Schneider Heim posted:

What the gently caress

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Schneider Heim posted:

Watch this immediately

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Schneider Heim posted:

HOW

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Cythereal posted:

My pick for best comic book movie is Dredd. :v:

American Splendour or Akira for me.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I would sooner expect to hear "I didn't know there was a TV show based on the Adam West Batman movie" than to not be aware of the movie. Surely you've seen jokes about Shark-Repellant Bat Spray and getting rid of a bomb?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Electromax posted:

I would sooner expect to hear "I didn't know there was a TV show based on the Adam West Batman movie" than to not be aware of the movie. Surely you've seen jokes about Shark-Repellant Bat Spray and getting rid of a bomb?

Best guess would be someone thought those were from the show.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

To be fair, they very well could have been.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

X-O posted:

Yup. It's still the best comic book movie ever made.
I'd say it's the best movie reflective of that point in the character's history.

My personal favorite for comic-book-turn-movie would be Ang Lee's Hulk, but I'm sure the style hasn't aged well in the Marvel age.

No love for Sin City?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the movie is pretty much exactly the show so I could understand people not knowing it was a separate film thing and not just like a long episode.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Also the movie is chopped up into regular episodes for repeats. That's how I originally saw it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As far as translating the aesthetic of the comic book directly to the screen is concerned, I think the Dick Tracy movie with Warren Beatty actually ranks pretty highly, because it looks like a live-action cartoon.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

FilthyImp posted:

I'd say it's the best movie reflective of that point in the character's history.

My personal favorite for comic-book-turn-movie would be Ang Lee's Hulk, but I'm sure the style hasn't aged well in the Marvel age.

No love for Sin City?

I thought Ang Lee's Hulk was terrible, even as a dumb kid.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Any lee's Hulk just confuses me, maybe because I've only ever watched it on cable

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The only part of Ang Lee's Hulk I remember is Talbot being killed by a freeze-frame. :shrug:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I tried watching the ang lee hulk like a month or two back and it was real bad. The only good parts were the comic frame transitions

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Unkempt posted:

There absolutely was a Mystery Men comic, there's one in my attic somewhere. It was either a one-off or limited series though. (And yes, it was a Flaming Carrot spin-off.)

edit: it looks like the Internet has forgotten this existed, so just to prove I'm not crazy:

I'm glad they cut the Japanese klan member out of the movie.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wheat Loaf posted:

The only part of Ang Lee's Hulk I remember is Talbot being killed by a freeze-frame. :shrug:
You forgot the Hulk dogs?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FlamingLiberal posted:

You forgot the Hulk dogs?
Or the climactic fight against a... giant energy-sucking jellyfish... thing?

Or all the lichens?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Ang Lee's Hulk made the terrible mistake of making the Hulk boring.

Also calling it now that Lego Batman will be one of the best Batman movies ever.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Madkal posted:

Ang Lee's Hulk made the terrible mistake of making the Hulk boring.

Also calling it now that Lego Batman will be one of the best Batman movies ever.

Lee's Hulk isn't good. But even Norton's Hulk, while much better, still feels a bit off.

I think Norton Hulk suffers from not wanting to make the Hulk a flat out monster/force of nature. You even see this in the later Avengers movies where he just can control his anger and it is no big deal which really just sucks the tension out of the character of The Hulk.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

Lee's Hulk isn't good. But even Norton's Hulk, while much better, still feels a bit off.

I think Norton Hulk suffers from not wanting to make the Hulk a flat out monster/force of nature. You even see this in the later Avengers movies where he just can control his anger and it is no big deal which really just sucks the tension out of the character of The Hulk.

Yeah, i think the major problem with The Hulk is the Hulk, as a concept, is not really friendly to superheroics. He is pure rage manifest and intentionally evokes a Jekyll/Hyde thing, but since he's a major comic superhero they kinda have to walk that back to the point it is remotely plausible he is a hero. (lol, math in his head, nobody ever got hurt.) Which is fine but... doesn't really make for a good stand-alone story where the concept begs for the Hulk to be something more. Ang Lee's comes closest I think but all of them are crippled by the need for the Hulk to be, in some degree, 'the good guy.'

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

In both Avengers movies he's clearly not completely in control though? In the first one Loki tricks him, and in the second he flips out in that African city and Tony has to get out the Hulkbuster suit. He can sometimes control his rage but definitely not all the time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's in control in the second movie mostly. The Hulkbuster fight happens because of Wanda.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

In both Avengers movies he's clearly not completely in control though? In the first one Loki tricks him, and in the second he flips out in that African city and Tony has to get out the Hulkbuster suit. He can sometimes control his rage but definitely not all the time.

Wasn't the first because of Loki and the second because of Wanda?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Ang Lee's Hulk is good as hell.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yup. I actually remember parts of it.
The Norton one, all I've got is the memory of him closing a laptop because of it's general use as a gif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The comic-panel editing didn't quite work in Ang Lee's movie, but I think it would have been better for them to have said "why didn't this work and how can we tweak it" than to have just thrown it out as a failed experiment. It was a clever idea.

• Locked thread