Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Why would anyone want give sky cancer more options to be even more sky cancer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Play 7 matches in T8s, 6 of them are T10 games. WG thinks the MM is fine. So much fun realizing there's only so much you can do as bottom tier when your team's T10s are utter retards. Repeatedly.

So nice of them to completely gently caress over T5/6 and T8 with those changes to it a few patches ago.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The only time I feel like I've got nothing to contribute in a Tier 10 game is if there's a Hakuryuu on their team, our carrier is a dipshit, and I'm in a battleship. You only exist to die in that scenario, even an AA-specced North Carolina can't do much.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I said nothing about not contributing, but you can't carry a T10 match in a loving Akizuki. Finish #1 with 70k damage? Sure, but it's too slow with only so-so concealment to actually carry if all your BBs are utter morons. Especially since you're basically relying on either RNG for fires, or ships actually going broadside to you, to do anything.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Lord Koth posted:

Play 7 matches in T8s, 6 of them are T10 games. WG thinks the MM is fine. So much fun realizing there's only so much you can do as bottom tier when your team's T10s are utter retards. Repeatedly.

So nice of them to completely gently caress over T5/6 and T8 with those changes to it a few patches ago.

The current campaign stuff with decent rewards being T8-10 just means that that range has gotten far more populated lately, I think. It's not really a MM change as much as just a "That's what people are playing" change.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

I dare say this ship would be strong as a tier 5. But somehow, it's a tier 4.

EDIT:

I'm starting to get a bit of a taste for Jap carriers too. Before it just felt awkward to even try and hit a battleship with a torp while Langleys are hawking you, but focusing on air superiority has really upped my game.

Often the Langley captain gets cocky and sends his planes right towards your fighters, in range of cruisers and battleships. Opening up with an alt-barrage and watching his planes evaporate is very satisfying, and then it becomes very easy to hit even destroyers with unopposed double-torp bombers.

Going for torp runs on Wyomings and New Yorks while they very awkwardly try to turn away from your planes, only to eat two-three torps from each squad while they can't do anything back to you is pure bliss.

OSad fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 15, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

The current campaign stuff with decent rewards being T8-10 just means that that range has gotten far more populated lately, I think. It's not really a MM change as much as just a "That's what people are playing" change.

You'd be wrong. This stuff was noted months ago after they changed T3/4 to only be able to uptier one tier. It completely hosed over T5/6, and the large numbers of T7s being drawn down to fill in those games hosed over T8. It might currently be even worse due to the campaigns, but the issue has been present for a while now.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Lord Koth posted:

I said nothing about not contributing, but you can't carry a T10 match in a loving Akizuki. Finish #1 with 70k damage? Sure, but it's too slow with only so-so concealment to actually carry if all your BBs are utter morons. Especially since you're basically relying on either RNG for fires, or ships actually going broadside to you, to do anything.

Why would you expect to carry a game when you're bottom-tier? You're only expected to contribute, not win the thing on your own.

Just focus on doing the most you can, and if you lose, c'est la vie.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
yeah who cares about carrying, you're in an uptiered akizuki. just be a bitch and farm damage and what happens to objectives happens. it's what your ship is made to do

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Lord Koth posted:

You'd be wrong. This stuff was noted months ago after they changed T3/4 to only be able to uptier one tier. It completely hosed over T5/6, and the large numbers of T7s being drawn down to fill in those games hosed over T8. It might currently be even worse due to the campaigns, but the issue has been present for a while now.

I know, I've been playing almost exclusively t6-8 since the MM change, with a bit of T5 (Zuiho or Gremyaschy for the most part). T10 matches for T8 were much more rare before the current campaign event started. Sure you saw them once in a while, but T9 was much more common.

T5 had it far far worse than T8 did.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Hey y'all, had a quick question about game assets--I've been doing family research and my great-granddad was on the USS Raleigh, an omaha-class cruiser at Pearl Harbor. Is there some way I can extract the model files from the game so I can try getting a 3d printing job done? I'm hoping to make a neat thing to gift to my dad.

This is a pretty chill game so far, I just unlocked the third-tier American cruiser.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So, was a mediocre at best night tonight overall, but I think my last game made up for it. At the very least a new highest damage amount for me.

Checking the post-game stats, I apparently did at least some damage to 10/12 ships on the enemy team.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Screw high tier battleship games. In fact screw high tier games in general. I understand why some BB players are driven to 20km sniping, because 1/3rd of the map at any given time can house super stealth DDs that can fire torps twice as far as their detection ranges.

So I decided to start playing DDs and I have found my true calling in life. Mid tier DD games.

No more dealing with stealth torping, no more machinegun HE cruiser spam. Just bite down on your mouth piece, close the 3kms and and launch a full spread into BBs.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Don't try that against a Nagato :madmax:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Clemson is low tier. :ssh:

The rest of the line is largely the same, but Clemson really shines. It does everything relatively well.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

MikeC posted:

Screw high tier battleship games. In fact screw high tier games in general. I understand why some BB players are driven to 20km sniping, because 1/3rd of the map at any given time can house super stealth DDs that can fire torps twice as far as their detection ranges.

Seems like T8 is where my consistent enjoyment of matches stops. T9/T10 feels like a chore and is a lot less consistent for me (probably because I'm not terribly good), I end up with either really good games, or games where I eat torps early after having only dealt 30k damage and not a lot in between. High tier might be better with a smaller ship or division, I normally just roll solo. I should just hang out in the T6-T8 range of ships but I have an incessant need to unlock things all the way up the line.

:negative:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I do consistently better when divisioned up, especially high tier. When solo, my high tier play tends to be inconsistent. I'm starting to move beyond dying in the first minute, but I'll often be middle of the pack.

Hazdoc posted:

AFT/MAA, actually. I don't take Concealment Expert. I may go 3x4 with my 18th point once I get there, tbh, since having demo expert would be nice too, but I can also go BFT + Vigilance instead.

That's interesting. I have AFT + CE. I swapped out aiming modifications systems 1 for the aa range mod and may switch AFT to DE, but that will kill the chance of using this captain on the Atlanta since that needs AFT. I haven't played my Atlanta very much recently so maybe I'll make the switch when I unlock the Baltimore.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 15, 2016

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Always play with goons.

I'm about 100k from the Izumo, can't wait. I might blow some or all of my Free XP bum-rushing the Yamato so I can have one ship from every tier for platooning purposes.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

The izumo is great and fun. Do not skip it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Always play with goons.

This, it doesn't massively affect my WR but does help get over those suicidal teams.

There have been as many as 4 Eurogoon on at one time recently.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Tried the test server out last night, they did a neat thing by limiting it a max of tier 8, and actually put in a few tier 8 premium ships to test with. I will say that I need to dump the Hatsuharu right away and the get the Shiratsuyu. Using the torp reload feature to vomit 16 torpedoes at some sad bastards is incredible. Although I really didn't get a lot of hits, I did cause two BB's to beach themselves dodging them. One of which instantly ate a full broadside from one of our BB's. The Akizuki is pretty fun too, I had better luck with its HE then I'd think too, not much for outright damage, but I got 2 fires going on a ship really fast. Also, managed to murder the poo poo out of planes coming my direction.

Also, I need to by an Atago. That ship is fun.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Thundercakes posted:

Seems like T8 is where my consistent enjoyment of matches stops.

It's not so much the tier itself but the meta up there seems brutal. 4-5 DDs all the time. Everyone except he DDs are playing hide and seek to make sure they don't get torped.

At least in mid tier you could spot the DDs when they launch or they had to use smoke. In my Bismarck games now, you have guys with 9 or 10 km torp range with 6km detection. If your DDs win, it's a face roll because your opponents twist themselves into a pretzel trying to avoid torpedo's real or imagined. If your DDs lose, god help you

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Bismarck has awesome german hydro though. And you can mount Target Acquisition Mod 1 for extra torpedo-sensing.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

MikeC posted:

It's not so much the tier itself but the meta up there seems brutal. 4-5 DDs all the time. Everyone except he DDs are playing hide and seek to make sure they don't get torped.

At least in mid tier you could spot the DDs when they launch or they had to use smoke. In my Bismarck games now, you have guys with 9 or 10 km torp range with 6km detection. If your DDs win, it's a face roll because your opponents twist themselves into a pretzel trying to avoid torpedo's real or imagined. If your DDs lose, god help you

I may have just been getting a good roll of the dice with that but after I got the NC and Bis elited it seemed like the MM stopped being so brutal. 2 or 3 DD has been the norm for me since the first few days with the IJN DD split, and far fewer T10 uptiers. Although if I have 3 or 4 solid games and wins in a row, it seems like the MM will plunk me down on some absolute stinker teams for the next few games. I honestly have no idea how their MM works, but these are just my anecdotal observations and I could be completely off-base.

Thundercakes fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 15, 2016

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Vengarr posted:

I feel like Kaga's gimmick should either be fighters that get a bonus to dogfighting or planes that aren't panicked by Defensive Fire.

Not sure why you feel another premium carrier should come before making carriers fun though. It doesn't make sense to make a new premium when you might be changing the whole system dramatically and upending everything.

Because I play carriers from time-to-time and it seems manifestly unfair to have a carrier trainer for one line and not the other, and then to make the people who do play Japanese carriers wait until you've completely redesigned, tested, and implemented carrier game play before you then start thinking about giving them a premium crew trainer.

Gwaihir posted:

This does make it worse, but I've been seeing this (and complaining about it) since Wargming implemented the repair cost/xp/credits changes. It's made tier X affordable and had the effect of doing what Wargaming said they were trying to avoid in the first place.

Essentially since you can break even and profit with premium in a IX or X, some people who have these ships are now only playing these ships.

Fair enough, but they should really adjust MM as a result. I'm not saying VIIIs should never be uptiered, but if you play 5 matches in a tier 8 a night, being one of a total of 6 people at your tier in the match, and having everyone else being tier X, for the majority of those matches is frustrating and unfun.

This isn't such a big deal when it comes to Tier VI because Tiers VI through VIII are actually balanced well. Tiers IX and X (mostly X) suffer from the same lack of balance, especially vis-a-vis lower tiers that you see in Tanks.

In other words, if I'm Tier VI facing tier VIII, I know that I am still dangerous to those Tier VIIIs and can substantially contribute to the match. If I'm in an VIII facing a X, my usefulness totally depends on the Tier VIII I'm in, and hoping the people in the Xs play like poo poo.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 15, 2016

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
i dont think an IJN CV training ship is as necessary as you think, as until the CV economy is fixed, its likely faster to accumulate XP on your IJN CV captain on the Atago than it would be on even a T8 IJN premium CV. Or you could just traing up another CA captain, then once you hit 15, respec it.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I found a way to make the Cleveland work. It can't carry for poo poo. Actually that might be true for most cruisers. In BBs you can slap fucktards and in DDs you can stealth torp. CAs not so much. You have to be on your toes constantly. Granted the Furutaka and Kirov seem to be able to do the slapping thing. So maybe it's a US problem.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 15, 2016

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Hazdoc posted:

i dont think an IJN CV training ship is as necessary as you think, as until the CV economy is fixed, its likely faster to accumulate XP on your IJN CV captain on the Atago than it would be on even a T8 IJN premium CV. Or you could just traing up another CA captain, then once you hit 15, respec it.

I agree, I mean I've been training my IJN carrier captain on a Fujin; however, I also have an American carrier captain that I train on a Saipan, even though I will generate way more XP using my Atlanta or Indianapolis. The thing is, at least in my brain, I hate using captains on ships where the skills are not complimentary.

So even though I use a Fujin to train my IJN carrier captain, which might be faster than a theoretical IJN premium carrier (an Atago would certainly be faster), if I had the option I'd still use the premium carrier I would.

My issue is that "training" a captain is a complex interplay of efficiency and fun. If it will take me 20 more games to get to 15 points training a character on a premium carrier, I'm fine with that. This is because the captains carrier skills mean that I will be doing better (and having more fun) training in a carrier than I would be just grinding a carrier captain on a cruiser, but doing it faster.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Are you guys using an in game channel still or how do I find goons to division up with?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Wolfy posted:

Are you guys using an in game channel still or how do I find goons to division up with?

Discord.

Just Dunk'ed fools for 110k. No one shot at me, but they were kind enough to broadside at 6km. Hitting a New Mex for 2 cits is hilarious.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Sometimes you get NC games where your dispersion is just perfect. I just had one with 9x hits, 4x Citadels, and 3 kills on full hp ships between just those shots.

...Then I ate a full torp spread and died because I didn't notice the screening DD had hosed off and died, but that's life.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Vengarr posted:

Bismarck has awesome german hydro though. And you can mount Target Acquisition Mod 1 for extra torpedo-sensing.

It's not the torpedoes alone, even if you have hydro and target acquisition like I do, the things required to still ensure you don't eat a full spread like big course corrections means putting yourself at huge risk to other things....like the enemy BBs camped at range who now only have you as a good target to shoot at.

So it's no wonder all the high tier BB gameplay is so terribly lame. No one trusts random teammates to succeed and check the enemy DD threat. Anyone who is brave and equipped with hydro have to inevitably show broadside while dodging stealth torps will be the focus of every other camping enemy BB with no prospect of support.

Edit some of it is map design. There are actually some maps where this doesn't happen. They are the small island spam ones where there are plenty of islands but they are short enough not to block cannon fire. Those are great. Then there are the big island ones which make it even worse, you funnel ships into channels AND they block line of sight so there could be a wall of death around every corner

MikeC fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 15, 2016

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011
Give me muh premium WG! :bahgawd:

:patriot:

I don't particularly care about the Alabama being exclusive for ST personally, but there's so much salt on the NA forums you could give Carthage another layer.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

It's like they don't realise it's highly unlikely WG are going to go to the length of modeling the South Dakota in game, and then do nothing further with it than hand out limited numbers of the Alabama.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Alabama holds no interest for me, but I suppose I'd be annoyed if they did that with Svenner or Scirocco. It is funny to run into random players in game complaining loudly about it, however.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

NTRabbit posted:

It's like they don't realise it's highly unlikely WG are going to go to the length of modeling the South Dakota in game, and then do nothing further with it than hand out limited numbers of the Alabama.

"I can't stand the idea of someone having something I can't have. I would rather kick down everyone's sandcastle than live in a world where I'm denied something in my Internet Boats game. Even if they make a version for 'us,' it won't be the same as what THEY have."

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Great ANOTHER 250 fire/flood chance flags. Why game, why.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011
Do you guys normally run premium repair party and/or damage control on your higher tier ships and premiums, or do you just use the basic ones?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Thundercakes posted:

Do you guys normally run premium repair party and/or damage control on your higher tier ships and premiums, or do you just use the basic ones?

If you don't run premium repair on everything I dunno what to tell you. It's non-negotiable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Thundercakes posted:

I use all premium parts for everything but spotting plane and sometimes hydro. I had too many games lost by a damage control not being available, or smoke not being ready. I figure I can almost always make up the price difference by surviving longer and doing more damage.