Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

MikeCrotch posted:

Does anyone have that picture of the Thirty Years War soldier in short shorts sitting down on a stump or something, where the artist has clearly lovingly depicted this dudes juicy thighs and bulging calves?

Asking for a friend

it was posted by rodrigo in the medhist thread

art posts start here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529788&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=99#post455443914

e:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Early modern slashfiction is weird

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

JcDent posted:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Chillyrabbit posted:

Someone talked about rebellion against the government somewhere mostly in the context of america. Rebelling against the government is really hard, you have to legitimately be in such desperate straits that going up against a strong government is preferable to the alternative (starvation, genocide, poverty. etc.). On the other hand if the government is so weak it topples with a push then rebellion is a very viable prospect.

For organizing rebels there are always some leaders people that other people flock to naturally for leadership. Community leaders, a local union head, religious leaders, professor at the local university, . People that already are looked up to at the community at large which makes them rallying points for rebels.

This holds even in the ACW if you contextualize it within the socioeconomic structure of the South - Land-owning slaveholders were basically the pinnacle of social and economic society there, because of how dependent on agriculture the entire southern economy was. The planter mythos meant they were seen as the heirs, in spirit, of the founders and their physical presence (big plantations, shipments of crops, huge houses) in Southern geography meant you couldn't really go without seeing their influence unless you were basically on the frontier. The growing abolitionist sentiment in the country at large meant that those socioeconomic underpinnings were put at risk, since slave labor was the reason those plantations were capable of the agricultural output driving the livelihood of the average southerner regardless of whether they owned slaves. Slaveowners already had the status, so when they started rallying people to their cause, it was by raising the spectre of poverty, of social upheaval, the idea that freeing slaves would result in something approaching genocide since freedom was talked about as a zero-sum affair where even the poor white sharecropper could feel like a stakeholder in that structure because even when they couldn't make ends meet they still had someone beneath them. The desperation was undoubtedly a sham and a massive public relations coup, but it wasn't like the slaveowning upper crust driving those fears were just rich folks in the modern sense - they were the societal pillars of their day so when they said things it carried weight.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SeanBeansShako posted:

Soldiers Of The Past: THIGHS, CALVES AND BOOTY EDITION.

in hindsight, Cosmopolitan would have made a better template...

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
oh my loving god

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Dude, you should really credit Enormous Hats Monthly when you rip off their covers, not cool

actually very cool

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 14, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Nenonen posted:

:five:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

JcDent posted:

Nenonen posted:

I love this page

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Nenonen posted:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I will never not laugh at a windows joke in this thread

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

PittTheElder posted:

I love this page

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I think this is probably the thread that I have enjoyed the most.
:five:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

PittTheElder posted:

I love this page

who are we to judge?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ainsley McTree posted:

I will never not laugh at a windows joke in this thread

agreed, Hey Gal, is it somehow possible to link your original description of the window shooting incident.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I love this thread.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Nenonen posted:

:perfect:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I can't believe you didn't go with "Windows Troubleshooting"

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

FAUXTON posted:

I can't believe you didn't go with "Windows Troubleshooting"

No, it's perfect as is.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

agreed, Hey Gal, is it somehow possible to link your original description of the window shooting incident.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585027&pagenumber=219&perpage=40#post434333206

Like a fine wine, it only improves with age

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

FAUXTON posted:

This holds even in the ACW if you contextualize it within the socioeconomic structure of the South - Land-owning slaveholders were basically the pinnacle of social and economic society there, because of how dependent on agriculture the entire southern economy was. The planter mythos meant they were seen as the heirs, in spirit, of the founders and their physical presence (big plantations, shipments of crops, huge houses) in Southern geography meant you couldn't really go without seeing their influence unless you were basically on the frontier. The growing abolitionist sentiment in the country at large meant that those socioeconomic underpinnings were put at risk, since slave labor was the reason those plantations were capable of the agricultural output driving the livelihood of the average southerner regardless of whether they owned slaves. Slaveowners already had the status, so when they started rallying people to their cause, it was by raising the spectre of poverty, of social upheaval, the idea that freeing slaves would result in something approaching genocide since freedom was talked about as a zero-sum affair where even the poor white sharecropper could feel like a stakeholder in that structure because even when they couldn't make ends meet they still had someone beneath them. The desperation was undoubtedly a sham and a massive public relations coup, but it wasn't like the slaveowning upper crust driving those fears were just rich folks in the modern sense - they were the societal pillars of their day so when they said things it carried weight.

Ah ha, I took a course about the ACW and it slipped out of my grasp the reasoning behind the poor white southerns joining in the rebellion, I remember discussing it mainly in the context of sources that there were not going to have too many literate southern sharecroppers with their letters or thoughts that they wrote down (if they could) surviving until now.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

I'd like to point out that this guy is not a 30 years war soldier, but a soldier of the Italian Wars, a vastly more interesting set of conflicts with better outfits.

Another soldier with huge thighs has appeared.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Real mercenaries don't skip leg day.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Something to remember about the ACW is that non slave owning farmers benefited in ways beyond just being up a notch on the totem poll. Slaves got rented. A guy who couldn't afford slaves of his own could frequently afford to hire s few for the labor intensive part of his season as long as the agricultural calendar of his crops didn't overlap with that of the slave owner. A local plantation was a labor boon for the whole region.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Something to remember about the ACW is that non slave owning farmers benefited in ways beyond just being up a notch on the totem poll. Slaves got rented. A guy who couldn't afford slaves of his own could frequently afford to hire s few for the labor intensive part of his season as long as the agricultural calendar of his crops didn't overlap with that of the slave owner. A local plantation was a labor boon for the whole region.

And even if your particular profession had no need for cheap labor, you were likely still working for or selling things to the plantations, or buying cheap crops and products built with slave labor, etc. It wasn't just a regular economy with a bit of slavery added to the mix, it was a slave economy through and through.

In the hill country that was poor and disconnected from the slave economy Unionism held out.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

The wealthy plantation owners also used plain 'ol racism to get the poor whites on their side: they spread horror stories of how letting the negroes go free would let them all rape your women, kill your children, and steal your stuff! By viewing free blacks as a dangerous threat, they willingly fought to keep them enslaved.

In general, the whole reason poor whites support the modern Republican party despite it working directly against their interests almost 100% of the time is because the wealthy whites at the top of the heap directed their fears and anger at blacks and immigrants instead. It's not the rich people keeping you down! It's those dirty dark-skinned people taking your jobs and robbing your stores! Vote for us to get rid of them and live your life!

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

chitoryu12 posted:

The wealthy plantation owners also used plain 'ol racism to get the poor whites on their side: they spread horror stories of how letting the negroes go free would let them all rape your women, kill your children, and steal your stuff! By viewing free blacks as a dangerous threat, they willingly fought to keep them enslaved.

In general, the whole reason poor whites support the modern Republican party despite it working directly against their interests almost 100% of the time is because the wealthy whites at the top of the heap directed their fears and anger at blacks and immigrants instead. It's not the rich people keeping you down! It's those dirty dark-skinned people taking your jobs and robbing your stores! Vote for us to get rid of them and live your life!

still pretty much the discourse today

JcDent
May 13, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

all rape your women, kill your children, and steal your stuff!

Liberated slaves turn into 30yw mercenaries overnight.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

JcDent posted:

Liberated slaves turn into 30yw mercenaries overnight.

Have you SEEN how many windows are in a plantation house?!?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Do they also naturally develop pikes and poofy pants?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

I'd like to point out that this guy is not a 30 years war soldier, but a soldier of the Italian Wars, a vastly more interesting set of conflicts with better outfits.

drat the girl is seriously thicc too.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gohuskies posted:

The cherub's the most :stonk: part. Like dear woodblock artist, you ain't fooling anyone with that, drat cherub looks like a first round O-Line pick.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Chillyrabbit posted:

Ah ha, I took a course about the ACW and it slipped out of my grasp the reasoning behind the poor white southerns joining in the rebellion, I remember discussing it mainly in the context of sources that there were not going to have too many literate southern sharecroppers with their letters or thoughts that they wrote down (if they could) surviving until now.

My landowning but too poor for slave-owning ancestor sent letters back during the war. I don't recall any self-reflection, but it's been a long time since I went through the (non-original) copies. He volunteered at the outset.

Keep in mind that at least parts of the south instituted a draft, too. You could buy your way out it by convincing some poor sap to take your place.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

RC and Moon Pie posted:

My landowning but too poor for slave-owning ancestor sent letters back during the war. I don't recall any self-reflection, but it's been a long time since I went through the (non-original) copies. He volunteered at the outset.

Keep in mind that at least parts of the south instituted a draft, too. You could buy your way out it by convincing some poor sap to take your place.

Oh right, the ransom policy was what made the whole affair so drat cynical. Let's you and him go fight the Yankees, I'll pay y'all when yins get back.

You're drat right I had a slaver say yins.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fun fact: if you owned 20 slaves, you were exempt from the draft for some reason!

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Fun fact: if you owned 20 slaves, you were exempt from the draft for some reason!

C'mon CSA, at least pretend it's about states' rights.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

gohuskies posted:

FAUXTON posted:

The cherub's the most :stonk: part. Like dear woodblock artist, you ain't fooling anyone with that, drat cherub looks like a first round O-Line pick.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Ah, but you see, without someone there supervising, the slaves would get out of control!

(The North also let rich people buy out of the draft.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Someone needs to keep those slaves from sprouting pikes and puffy pants