Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
You can do Arrival before the end of ME2 too. Arrival is pretty dumb on its own, and it gets even sillier if you do it as early as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Aveline should have killed them all.

http://i.imgur.com/yRRfqTU.gifv

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

exquisite tea posted:

I always do Shadow Broker after returning to Ilium for Miranda's loyalty mission, so like about 2/3rds of the way through the game. Though it's amusing how you can just initiate it right away even without completing Liara's little sidequests, "Shepard help me track down the Shadow Broker whom I've been stalking for y-- actually nvm let's just go now."
I'm wondering if this is kind of a callback to 1 where you can recruit Liara after killing her mother and all that. "Yeah, the Protheans vanished due to ancient robots, your mom is dead and you missed everything" or just oversight. SB is known from 1 as being incredibly secretive, nobody knows who he/she is etc and then Cerberus, one of the most incompetent organizations in the galaxy somehow finds this big secret that STG/Spectres couldn't figure out?

Although the "This will take years to figure out" "No actually I have the info right here ps good to see you after 2 years" is funny either way.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cerberus has a very specific form of incompetence where all of their insane science projects work flawlessly but then murder everyone involved shortly after activation.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Shadow Broker can be played after the suicide mission, though. Liara even mentions your success if you do so.

Shadow Broker is my favorite piece of BioWare DLC (though I haven't played Inquisition's DLCs). Good dialog between Shepard and Liara, both if you're friends and if you romanced her. A fun boss fight against an enemy with the Vanguard class. It was good stuff.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
Shadowbroker also had an interactive space car chase and probably my favorite renegade option: 'Wound the hostage.' It was a great cowboy cop adventure.

In a lot of games the DLC/expansion packs make more sense as post game adventures/something the protagonist did between sequels, but they have to always give you the option to do them any time. Arrival in the middle of the events of ME2 is especially nonsensical. It's really obvious that it's meant as a bridge between ME2 and 3.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Ahhh gently caress me...I finsihed my ME2 run and while the Space Baby Terminator Reaper is hilariously malexplained and out of place, the thing that really messed me up is that I only saved half of my non-essential crew from the Collectors.

I went and played Shadowbroker right after they got taken - because I wanted to see if Legion had interesting things to say during it (lol, nope!) -, thinking that the crew being saved was all or nothing (and that you had 2 missions of leeway before you had to save them) but NOOOOOOPE. :sigh:

I don't like having that secretary chick be dead. She was so nice. I didn't want to go back and re play all that DLC and missions and poo poo, so she's just dead forever. Bugger.

Also, I finally played Arrival for the first time and the beginning of ME3 makes a fuckton more sense. Still dumb, but makes sense.

There are way too many team characters in ME2 - like, just give me six and flesh them out more, don't give me 14 and make them shallow(er). Blergh.

Anyway, Vanguard is hard when I'm surrounded. I've died a lot to husks dogpiling me. I hate that when I'm getting shot at I stagger and can't make it to cover. I've gotten the hang of Vanguard however. Looking forward to going back to playing an Adept in ME4.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Drifter posted:

I don't like having that secretary chick be dead. She was so nice. I didn't want to go back and re play all that DLC and missions and poo poo, so she's just dead forever. Bugger.

She's scarred forever if she lives, so it's a wash morally.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Mike the TV posted:

She's scarred forever if she lives, so it's a wash morally.

LOL And even if you romanced her and are pretty much the sole remaining spot of light in the blackness, you go and fuckin' die. :smith:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blastedhellscape posted:

Shadowbroker also had an interactive space car chase and probably my favorite renegade option: 'Wound the hostage.' It was a great cowboy cop adventure.

In a lot of games the DLC/expansion packs make more sense as post game adventures/something the protagonist did between sequels, but they have to always give you the option to do them any time. Arrival in the middle of the events of ME2 is especially nonsensical. It's really obvious that it's meant as a bridge between ME2 and 3.

Fun fact? The Speed option was originally meant to be the high renegade bonus, with the default renegade getting the hostage killed but some of the other writers went "Wait. Why do you need to be an ultra-feared hardass to just shoot someone in the leg", to which the first writer went, basically "Because it's the cooler thing to do, and the coolest options are generally a reward."

It's why the intimidate option is so much less satisfying for that choice.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

chiasaur11 posted:

"Wait. Why do you need to be an ultra-feared hardass to just.."

Kind of the problem with the entire Paragon/Renegade system.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

Bioware

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
So I'm guessing any future DLC or sequels where they want to bring in other Milky Way races would involve additional arks arriving. It's not like they couldn't have thrown together a couple during the Catalyst construction given how massive that thing was and how relatively small they arks seem in comparison. To be perfectly honest I want my geth bros and fellow employees at Vorcha HVAC to survive so I can relive my favorite classes in multiplayer. Robots and insane worm dudes with flamethrowers? Sign me up!

"Ryder! We just had two arks drop out of hyperspace! One is covered in broken fans and the other doesn't have a single window!"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blastedhellscape posted:

The Paragon option there is great, too. it's the best Paragon option in the whole series that I know of, because it's the only one that's loving cold as ice. Shepard lists off all the insane poo poo he/she has done through ME1 and 2 while aiming a gun at the enemy Specter and then finishes it off with, "And you really think I won't shoot a hostage?" The Specter enemy is rattled enough that Liara can ambush her with biotics and the hostage escapes.

EDIT: Found it, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mduuwdnzXw0&t=609s

I found that boss fight really fun, too, because I was playing a Vanguard, and Vanguard vs. Vanguard is hilarious. I'm really glad that the Andromeda gameplay showed us that Vanguards will be back in all their glory.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 15, 2016

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The Vanguard boss was loving hilarious in my run. I was playing as an Adept, and the moment her barriers were gone I sent her flying off the side of the building.

Kinda ruined the moment when she magically reappeared for the cutscene. :downs:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Not really.

The point of intimidate and persuade is that your reputation does half the work. Like, your intimidate managed to get someone to stand down half because you're good at talking, and half because, wait, wasn't there a news story about this loving psycho eating a baby? I should NEVER get in her way/ he's saying I'll get out alive if I trust him, and didn't he save that entire orphanage of kittens once with one hand tied behind his back? He can probably make it so I don't die.

There's problems with the system, but that part makes sense.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Drifter posted:

Space Baby Terminator Reaper is hilariously malexplained and out of place

No loving kidding. Like, I remember thinking while playing through the first time that the Collectors were clearly abducting humans to indoctrinate them en-mass and release them later to cause havoc when the reapers arrive. But nope, bio-goo --> reaper babby

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The collectors being a sort of collection crew who'd start to make this cycles reaper before the invasion, so the reapers could go full cleansing mode during their re-entry to the galaxy made sense to me

The presentation of the human reaper was real bad though. I remember in the ME2 thread at launch people came up with a hundred better ways to introduce the concept to the player...

To me personally it was just confusing because the Reapers had been presented as these squid shaped things and suddenly we had a skeleton shaped reaper... It just made me think of a huge metal skeleton man flying around in space and shooting at its foes with eyelasers

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

chiasaur11 posted:

Not really.

The point of intimidate and persuade is that your reputation does half the work. Like, your intimidate managed to get someone to stand down half because you're good at talking, and half because, wait, wasn't there a news story about this loving psycho eating a baby? I should NEVER get in her way/ he's saying I'll get out alive if I trust him, and didn't he save that entire orphanage of kittens once with one hand tied behind his back? He can probably make it so I don't die.

There's problems with the system, but that part makes sense.

There are better ways to do this than a straight binary ideology split, though, Pillars of Eternity and Fallout: New Vegas both have better ways of representing someone having a specific reputation as a result of their actions that doesn't require as much extrapolating and abstraction on the part of the player.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Zzulu posted:

It just made me think of a huge metal skeleton man flying around in space and shooting at its foes with eyelasers

I don't understand what the problem is?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
People who are like 'this half finished Reaper was OBVIOUSLY going to be a skeleton shooting eyelasers' are like the poster child for why so much poo poo is just mountains of exposition pointing out basic facts.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Milky Moor posted:

People who are like 'this half finished Reaper was OBVIOUSLY going to be a skeleton shooting eyelasers' are like the poster child for why so much poo poo is just mountains of exposition pointing out basic facts.

But that's literally what I wanted. ME2 final boss fight was amazingly and hilariously over the top.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Milky Moor posted:

Please don't roast our laser skeleton enthusiasts.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
i'm the laser skeleton

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Moola posted:

i'm the laser skeleton

I thought you were powered by a machine spirit not lasers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Someone find the Babylon 5 scene where the lady is flying through space shooting hand and feet lasers and then put the reaper baby head on her

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Hiveminded posted:

But that's literally what I wanted. ME2 final boss fight was amazingly and hilariously over the top.

I liked it, too!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Trast posted:

I thought you were powered by a machine spirit not lasers.

no i'm a ghost skeleton powered by homosexuality

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTgFtxHhCQ0&t=95s

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Reclaimer posted:

LOL And even if you romanced her and are pretty much the sole remaining spot of light in the blackness, you go and fuckin' die. :smith:

Kelly should be a bonus easter egg in ME:A. You'd find her cargo container somehow intact in the wreckage of some crashed exploration spaceship after it was accidentally loaded as cargo. She is the only survivor on an otherwise unpopulated barren world.

You find her rocking back and forth in her tiny cargo box hovel lit only by a small flickering fire, talking to herself about how "Shepard will come. Shepard will come", completely broken by despair and isolation. Occasionally sobbing.

Shepard never comes.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I always found it really weird how Kelly stood with her back to everyone just staring into a completely empty shipping container. No interactions with anyone around her, just the rest of her life looking at that blank wall. Until you come and talk to her. Then back to the wall.
"Hello wall"
:smith:
At least Jacob looked like he was having a conversation with the receptionist at Huerta memorial while he stood there for the rest of the war.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I find it hard to believe that a giant naked Terminator floating through space shooting lasers from every orifice wouldn't have completely ruled.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Really thought he was going to do something different with that bone.

ABGD told me the one on the ground has a cloaca.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
You're cloachin' me horny

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Android Blues posted:

I find it hard to believe that a giant naked Terminator floating through space shooting lasers from every orifice wouldn't have completely ruled.

It gives the Reapers a much more compelling argument tbh

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Moola posted:

no i'm a ghost skeleton powered by homosexuality

Stupid sexy skeleton. Like posting nothing at all!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Looking forward to buying this in a sale in 5 years or so, if the series doesn't end on a fully retarded note anyway.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Looking forward to buying this in a sale in 5 years or so, if the series doesn't end on a fully retarded note anyway.

How retarded could it be and you still buy it? 50%? 60?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I will buy this on day 1 no matter how retarded it is tbqh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
gonna depend on whether I've finished updating my rig or not