Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Man, I hope my cynical characters can fabricate holy relics and then pawn them off to others.

"hhmmm, yes, this is totally a branch of the world tree Yggdrasill my good man, yours for only a 100 gold!"

Be neat if it tied into the 'wicked priest' traits too - get a dodgy Pope or Caliph, suddenly there's a whole heap of newly 'discovered' relics floating around...

I'd like it too if there were a bunch of relics and items that only pop up if things have happened in the game - crown of the first holder of an empire-level title, relics of the Saoshyant... maybe pagans should have some unique relics based on whoever reforms the religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
"By the power of this sword, I name myself Fylkir!"

[Sword gets stolen, guy who does it gets a strong claim on the title]

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I'm getting flashbacks to the artifact system in Heroes of Might & Magic III, and I'm loving it.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

ThaumPenguin posted:

I'm getting flashbacks to the artifact system in Heroes of Might & Magic III, and I'm loving it.

:rms:

Count Mippipopolous
Apr 10, 2008

Oh man popes could start slinging Golden Roses around.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Here's hoping a few things you can own are torture devices. I've always wanted my own brazen bull.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ThaumPenguin posted:

You just made me really sad, because I miss that game terribly and the re-skinning of it on Steam was such a cocktease.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

You just made me really sad, because I miss that game terribly and the re-skinning of it on Steam was such a cocktease.

You should try the GOG version, it's been overhauled to work better with modern systems.

Or something like that, I can't quite recall.

"GOG" here meaning "Good Old Games", if you didn't know.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt
Put the Palladium in Constantinople, so the city can never fall.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
For some reason the only people I can appoint as seer are my wife and concubines. Any idea what might be the reason for this?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Jedit posted:

Requires French or Norman culture.

A random event when sieging French/Norman castles where one of your commanders is crushed by a catapult-launched cow.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Dragonwagon posted:

For some reason the only people I can appoint as seer are my wife and concubines. Any idea what might be the reason for this?

Are they the only ones in your court that are the correct religion?

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

No. I only have like two people who aren't norse, so there should be a ton of options. But it's only those three on the list. Can't assign it through direct diplomacy either. It says I don't have a title I could give to the guy I want.

Dragonwagon fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 15, 2016

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Dragonwagon posted:

No. I only have like two people who aren't norse, so there should be a ton of options. But it's only those three on the list. Can't assign it through direct diplomacy either. It says I don't have a title I could give to the guy I want.

Seers for me are always women until some who knows what and I go to appoint one and hey Uncle Larry is a candidate OK sure Larry I was gonna kill you anyways so just go hangout in France

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Yeah I usually can't assign a court chaplain for a few months after starting, seems to happen more often when I'm a minority religion. There will be eligible people in my court it just won't let me assign them. Assumed it was a bug from all the mods I use

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Darth Windu posted:

Yeah I usually can't assign a court chaplain for a few months after starting, seems to happen more often when I'm a minority religion. There will be eligible people in my court it just won't let me assign them. Assumed it was a bug from all the mods I use

I always use the intrigue option to ask for a court physician rather than recruiting for my court.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Phrosphor posted:

I always use the intrigue option to ask for a court physician rather than recruiting for my court.

It's totally gamey but I use the intrigue option to see if it generates someone worth two bits; if it throws a lovely quack of an 11-learning mercenary at me, I just nominate whoever in my court has the highest learning and some decent traits and hope he learns on the job.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I like reading the recruit a physician event text

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Can characters learn the court physician trait or is that reserved for characters created by the event?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

UrbicaMortis posted:

Can characters learn the court physician trait or is that reserved for characters created by the event?

They will pick it up after a while if they have enough successful treatments. I'm not sure the exact details but I've seen characters learn it before.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

Looks like I can't appoint the guy I want to any position because I fired him recently. It's really great how I had to google that instead of having the game mention that somewhere!

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Dragonwagon posted:

Looks like I can't appoint the guy I want to any position because I fired him recently. It's really great how I had to google that instead of having the game mention that somewhere!

If it helps, there's a diplomacy option to change advisor titles, so you can move people around with getting any maluses.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I like using the character finder to look for good physicians that are willing to come to my court. That way I dont have to wait for an event to fire just to get a lovely option anyway, or give the job to someone who has no clue what they are doing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
There's a trait for physicians? I just give it to whoever has 16+ learning and doesn't hate my guts.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yep! More often than not that's what the intrigue event will produce. That or mystic.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Similarly, please give the Zoroastrians and/or appropriate Muslim dynasties the Shamshir-e Zomorrodnegār.

It would sure suck if you were the demon who guarded the sword--Fulad-zereh--and you accidentally injured yourself with the sword.

Not only would it be the only weapon in existence that can hurt you, but any injury suffered by the sword could only be treated with a potion made from your brain.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's a trait for physicians? I just give it to whoever has 16+ learning and doesn't hate my guts.

Yeah you'll usually see it if you use the decision to recruit a physician. It boosts stats a bit but more importantly it factors in to success chance when being treated. So a 16 learning character with the trait will be a better doctor than a 16 learning character without it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah you'll usually see it if you use the decision to recruit a physician. It boosts stats a bit but more importantly it factors in to success chance when being treated. So a 16 learning character with the trait will be a better doctor than a 16 learning character without it.

By how much? Like, is it equal to a certain number of learning points, a multiplier, does it raise the cap on % chance of success?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Angry Salami posted:

Be neat if it tied into the 'wicked priest' traits too - get a dodgy Pope or Caliph, suddenly there's a whole heap of newly 'discovered' relics floating around...

You can already acquire fake relics, can't you? I'm sure there's an event chain for it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Jedit posted:

You can already acquire fake relics, can't you? I'm sure there's an event chain for it.

There's a minor event where you become aware local merchants are peddling fake relics and you can either crack down on it for some Piety, do nothing for a temple vassal opinion malus that lasts like 2 years, or get in on the action for some cash, the Cynical trait and the opinion malus IIRC. Don't know of any chains for that specific thing but there might be one in a DLC I don't have.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

By how much? Like, is it equal to a certain number of learning points, a multiplier, does it raise the cap on % chance of success?

It's a 20% increase in chance of getting the good result from treatments. It's always worth having a physician with the trait, but it's only good if you don't have to drop below learning or opinion thresholds to do so (20/25 learning, +50/+75 opinion).

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Oh my loving god, if the goddamn idiots have a huge malus for ~political concerns~ maybe loving tell what it is instead of having a completely opaque term for it?

Is it because his kids have claims on my kingdoms? Is it because I control some of his de jure lands? Is it because I'm threatening? (I think that, at least, has its own malus)

Sure Karl, I didn't loving help you beat loving Widukind so you could help me dismantle the Ummayds; it was solely for kicks, you goddamn rear end in a top hat.

Edit: Nephew, you are loving Astorias. You are literally surrounded by the Ummayds. Do you think that you should MAYBE consider that allying with super-Lombardy might be to your benefit??

Edit edit: Beat them by myself anyway, made sure to burn his demesne to the ground for good measure. Thanks to me, Karl the rear end in a top hat (or ~Tormentor~) managed to form Francia at least.

I wish I could swear fealty, then have him form the HRE as well, ahaha. And his only heir is a kid and sadly I think there's too many male candidates for me to get his daughter that ran away with the Kazarian merc to inherit

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 18, 2016

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I think "Political Concerns" is code for "this marriage/alliance would put you in a great position to screw us, and we're worried about it".

I tried rolling a norse god-kin Create-a-Character to help test some stuff--Immortal, every possible positive trait, every stat over 20. Dude could have arm-wrestled with Thor.

He was immediately challenged to a duel by a rival and slaughtered. The baseline failure rate for duels must be insane. I haven't really figured out a good use for them, or for the Seduction focus. And I've never even tried Learning or Carousing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Vengarr posted:

He was immediately challenged to a duel by a rival and slaughtered. The baseline failure rate for duels must be insane. I haven't really figured out a good use for them, or for the Seduction focus. And I've never even tried Learning or Carousing.

Well, ever since they screwed with how plots work, we've needed a replacement for getting yourself killed by revenge plots. Duels are a pretty decent substitute.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Vengarr posted:

I think "Political Concerns" is code for "this marriage/alliance would put you in a great position to screw us, and we're worried about it".
Except that it's the opposite; they are seeing a chance to dick me over and want to take it, as far as I can tell.

And duels are incredibly random; combat skill is more of a small factor rather than the main thing

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Vengarr posted:

I tried rolling a norse god-kin Create-a-Character to help test some stuff--Immortal, every possible positive trait, every stat over 20. Dude could have arm-wrestled with Thor.

Learning is pretty good. You just start to build your observatory for 50 gold, and need about 100 more gold to finish the event chain. And you can easily finish the chain in at most 5 years, getting a lot of tech points in the progress. You will upset your priests and religious head (unless you're a Zunist or Buddhist), but it's worth it. You can even chose between the scholar trait or a lesser "temporary" trait that lasts a whole life. And then you switch out of the learning focus. If you have a peaceful, stable realm. It's definitely worth it to use the learning focus just for the event chain.

Carousing can also be really helpful, to both increase your diplomacy and to make friends with your vassals. But it requires quite a bit of micromanaging, you have to be diligent to constantly invite people over to carouse. Setting your focus to war or hunting for example is much less work.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Torrannor posted:

Learning is pretty good. You just start to build your observatory for 50 gold, and need about 100 more gold to finish the event chain. And you can easily finish the chain in at most 5 years, getting a lot of tech points in the progress. You will upset your priests and religious head (unless you're a Zunist or Buddhist), but it's worth it. You can even chose between the scholar trait or a lesser "temporary" trait that lasts a whole life. And then you switch out of the learning focus. If you have a peaceful, stable realm. It's definitely worth it to use the learning focus just for the event chain.

Carousing can also be really helpful, to both increase your diplomacy and to make friends with your vassals. But it requires quite a bit of micromanaging, you have to be diligent to constantly invite people over to carouse. Setting your focus to war or hunting for example is much less work.

Carousing is the best because you can take the pope drinking.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The only garbage focus as far as I can tell is Theology, which is never useful and especially now that it is impossible to have large theocratic vassals.

Oh hey if I'm a christian I get to go on a pilgrimage! Boy howdy.

It doesn't even give you stuff related to holy orders. It's pathetic really.

Also, I wish they'd have a bit more variety for the learning stuff. You can only discover heliocentricism so many times before it gets a wee bit passé....

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

You should use the War focus if you want to get commander traits and buff your Martial attribute. The ability to duel is kind of a side benefit and it's not easy to capitalize on it since your selection of potential opponents is limited and the outcome is very random.

Seduction focus is great for two reasons: One is that you can sire a bunch of bastard children and choose which ones to legitimize, which lets you game your inheritance. The other is that you will get huge opinion bonuses with all members of the opposite sex, who will then join your plots and support your votes.

Learning is very strong in the earlier starts, and I try to use it once with every ruler, at least for the first two hundred years. The observatory chain gets you a ton of tech points, which are vital for raising your Legalism and Military Organization early. It has guaranteed results, so you're not waiting for events to fire, and being at war or busy with other events doesn't affect it. It also increases the chances of gaining tech points from council missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Theology is definitely the least of the available choices, but you can get some good poo poo out of it. Friendships with priests, the occasional virtue, Zealous or Cynical as you please, and (In my most recent case) enough piety to switch religions. Which seems like an unintended use of the focus.

"So, yeah, I've been studying Orthodox Christianity long enough I've decided it SUCKS and want to go back to West African Paganism."

• Locked thread