Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
The Viking translation of the bible, about Jesus, God Chieftain of all Jews, traveling around with his warrior apostles loving poo poo up, is my personal favorite version of my religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

You're gonna have to give a link for that.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Finally started playing Soma. Man this is a good game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jukebox Hero posted:

The Viking translation of the bible, about Jesus, God Chieftain of all Jews, traveling around with his warrior apostles loving poo poo up, is my personal favorite version of my religion.

I'm gonna need to see this.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Isn't Scott a big-rear end Jesus freak? So strange he's making mad bank of a horror game series where the backstory is the violent deaths of children.

The earliest Cawthon interview I know of was on a Christian Geek blog where he talks about how his faith guided him over time and inspired him. Some of his pre-FNaF games were based on Christian parables and some of the enemy designs are Biblically (and robotically) freaky.

Bible horror chat reminds me I recently watched HarshlyCritical play a Kickstarter demo called "Agony" that takes place in Hell. What are folks' thoughts? The gameplay didn't seem too intuitive, seems like a walking sim with stealth and puzzles? The design though, whew, the edge! I don't know how the devs will keep it up, it's extremely gore/body horror in design and includes a baby killed by boulder as part of building a wall, tortured/dismembered bodies including a babies and pregnant women, and plenty of naked breasts - everyone is naked to be fair, but the breasts are always obviously lit, of course. Outlast had similar gratuitousness, but I felt those moments were spread out enough to avoid them getting overwhelming.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

The earliest Cawthon interview I know of was on a Christian Geek blog where he talks about how his faith guided him over time and inspired him. Some of his pre-FNaF games were based on Christian parables and some of the enemy designs are Biblically (and robotically) freaky.

Bible horror chat reminds me I recently watched HarshlyCritical play a Kickstarter demo called "Agony" that takes place in Hell. What are folks' thoughts? The gameplay didn't seem too intuitive, seems like a walking sim with stealth and puzzles? The design though, whew, the edge! I don't know how the devs will keep it up, it's extremely gore/body horror in design and includes a baby killed by boulder as part of building a wall, tortured/dismembered bodies including a babies and pregnant women, and plenty of naked breasts - everyone is naked to be fair, but the breasts are always obviously lit, of course. Outlast had similar gratuitousness, but I felt those moments were spread out enough to avoid them getting overwhelming.

I've never been immediately desensitized to a game before. They went with complete sensory overload for that game's visual design, so nothing stands out to me as disturbing because everything is tittywalls and teethdoors with fetuses littering the floor. The game also looks like it plays like poo poo. If you're making a game where your only meaningful mechanic is walking and hiding, making the world interesting to walk through is important. Agony just looks like a loving mess.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Gobblecoque posted:

New Testament Jesus love and peace stuff is nice but Old Testament is metal as gently caress.

Judges 15 - King James Version y'all posted:

14 And when he came unto Lehi, the Philistines shouted against him: and the Spirit of the Lord came mightily upon him, and the cords that were upon his arms became as flax that was burnt with fire, and his bands loosed from off his hands.

15 And he found a new jawbone of an rear end, and put forth his hand, and took it, and slew a thousand men therewith.

16 And Samson said, With the jawbone of an rear end, heaps upon heaps, with the jaw of an rear end have I slain a thousand men.
Probably my favorite. There's another part where the very same Samson, God's chosen musclebro, uses his bare hands to bring down a building on a bunch of people who pissed him off.

I don't know why they hide all the really good poo poo in the Bible; they should lead with this stuff.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Probably my favorite. There's another part where the very same Samson, God's chosen musclebro, uses his bare hands to bring down a building on a bunch of people who pissed him off.

I don't know why they hide all the really good poo poo in the Bible; they should lead with this stuff.

On kids TV here in the UK in the 80s/90s, Tony Robinson did a series all about the stories like this in the Bible. They were presented without any particular religious slant as well, so it was just fun murderous badass stories for kids.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Glukeose posted:

I've never been immediately desensitized to a game before. They went with complete sensory overload for that game's visual design, so nothing stands out to me as disturbing because everything is tittywalls and teethdoors with fetuses littering the floor. The game also looks like it plays like poo poo. If you're making a game where your only meaningful mechanic is walking and hiding, making the world interesting to walk through is important. Agony just looks like a loving mess.

It's a little rough right now, but it's pretty cool and the cluttered hellscape artstyle is what drew me to the game and got me to back it. I love how it looks thought at times in the demo I had no clue where the gently caress I was supposed to go. The demo always had something to look at though and it kept things interesting enough for me.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's a little rough right now, but it's pretty cool and the cluttered hellscape artstyle is what drew me to the game and got me to back it. I love how it looks thought at times in the demo I had no clue where the gently caress I was supposed to go. The demo always had something to look at though and it kept things interesting enough for me.

Horror is an incredibly subjective genre, so I definitely understand that Agony is going to resonate with other people way more than it did with me. From a purely technical standpoint it is very impressive, I just bounced off the aesthetic. Definitely an LP kind of game for me.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
I have zero patience for stealth games where detection is A Very Bad Thing That Will Kill You In Seconds so I'm never going to play Agony myself but the videos I've seen have been really one note; I remember seeing something like a mechanic for possessing events that looked interesting so I'm sure there's some good ideas but with zero "normal" areas I feel like the desensitization will only get worse. "Knee deep in human skeletons" is comedic to me, but I'm also a horror junkie so maybe it'll really gently caress with people who aren't already desensitized.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why would I want Agony when I can just play doom

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I keep getting Agony confused with Scorn

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
name all my horror games after marvel symbiotes please

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:
Anyone remember the game Jericho(spelling?) It was a pretty decent shooter with an awesome Hellraiser style storyline.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Fil5000 posted:

On kids TV here in the UK in the 80s/90s, Tony Robinson did a series all about the stories like this in the Bible. They were presented without any particular religious slant as well, so it was just fun murderous badass stories for kids.
That's awesome. Those kind of stories were the only thing I remember about the handful of bible school/sunday school sessions I was forced through. Somehow, there was supposed to be an important parable in there to enrich young minds. I just stayed for the action and mayhem.

I legitimately love how this turned into biblechat for a while, all because of a game about animatronic jump scare robots. Horror threads are generally the best threads, see the Horror thread in Cinema Discusso for further proof.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I keep getting Agony confused with Scorn
THAT was the game I couldn't think of! I knew there was another one. Since things always seem to come around in 2s or 3s, we now have 3 very thematically similar games for everyone to get mixed up:
Agony
Inner Chains
Scorn

Inner Chains I'm really excited about though. Probably has something to do with the money I gave them on Kickstarter. I wish I'd blown some more and ordered one of the custom paintings.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Carebearz posted:

Anyone remember the game Jericho(spelling?) It was a pretty decent shooter with an awesome Hellraiser style storyline.

That would be because it was Clive Barker's Jericho.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Carebearz posted:

Jericho is pretty cool but it's marred by two pretty huge issues, that the shooting gets terribly repetitive and that the ending is worse than if they had smash-cut straight to credits.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jericho might be one of the worst games I've ever played.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Undying is the superior Clive Barker game by far, though it does have a pretty poo poo last boss.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Carebearz posted:

Jericho was both an awful game and had the side effect of constantly overheating my video card despite graphics that were middling at best. It had enough Barker that I finished it, but it was by no means a good game. I keep wanting to go back and play Undying, but I fear that it won't be as good a second time as it was the first time.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
hi horror games thread, i have another question ive been pondering

how does multiplayer affect your "horror game experience" (tm)? i know games like RE5/6/rev kind of skirt the line between horror and action, but have there been other horror games with good multiplayer that leaned more into the horror and survival and less into the action?

dead by daylight is one example...kind of? also, i know that generally the more people you have near you the less frightening things are, but i'm wondering if you can get that same story/horror experience of soma or outlast or what have you, with a buddy tagging along

e: this thought process stemmed from thinking about why streamers/youtubers and horror games interact well (outside of the dude/ette mugging at the camera during a jump scare or w/e)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honestly co-op ruins the horror aspect for me, I think Resi 5 and 6 are okay games but I never once felt tense like in 4. The worst was Dead Space 3 though, where they had to change a bunch of stuff to make co-op work and all of them for the worse.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Skyscraper posted:

Jericho was both an awful game and had the side effect of constantly overheating my video card despite graphics that were middling at best. It had enough Barker that I finished it, but it was by no means a good game. I keep wanting to go back and play Undying, but I fear that it won't be as good a second time as it was the first time.

I have to wonder if Undying was intended for consoles first because the game is structured so much like a console shooter. I'd say if you play it again think of it as the missing link between System Shock 2 and BioShock.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

al-azad posted:

I have to wonder if Undying was intended for consoles first because the game is structured so much like a console shooter. I'd say if you play it again think of it as the missing link between System Shock 2 and BioShock.

it was made by the Medal of Honor guys, so they probably decided to go with what sold well as opposed to their previous PC FPS

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Multiplayer can absolutely make horror many times more effective. Playing a game like Anatomy or something with another person in the room has always been a lot more tense for me. The most anxiety I've experienced has come from games involving other people, especially ones involving an element of potential betrayal. (M.U.S.H. and Die2Nite are both Twinoid arguably-horror games that are completely 100% built around being a multiplayer experience and unable to trust the people around you, for example, and I find them, especially MUSH, to be incredibly tense)

Very very few horror games are actually built from such a way to actually benefit from whatever multiplayer is implemented, though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I wouldn't count having someone sitting next to you as multiplayer

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

GlyphGryph posted:

Multiplayer can absolutely make horror many times more effective.

I've found that multiplayer creates an uncertainty about noises that makes horror better. If I'm playing a singleplayer survival horror game where it's imperative to avoid fights, conserve ammo and medikits, I'm constantly on edge looking and listening for enemies so I can percieve them before they notice me and then I can make the decision about should I fight, try to go around them, etc. Every noise falls into one of two categories, either it's ambient sound to create a spooky atmosphere and can be safely ignored, or it's an enemy close by and requires immediate reaction. However this uncertainty goes away once I know the game well enough to distinguish between "machinery_spookyambient1.wav" and "lurking_horrorbeast_matingcall.wav".

Multiplayer adds a third catergory, the harmless but completely unpredictable sounds another player makes while not directly in my line of sight. Without a radar or similar device, there's no way to know if that door opening three rooms away is my buddy trying to find me or a slime grue looking for the protagonist buffet.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

Hotseat multiplayer is still multiplayer.

Anyway my point was that effective horror games could easily be magnified with multiplayer co-op, especially if they played together, especially if they don't have access to the same information.

There are some incredible horror opportunities for VR multiplayer, with one person on the monitor and one person in VR, for a game that requires cooperation to succeed.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

al-azad posted:

That would be interesting because the console port got cancelled because of the poor sales. Bioshock absolutely ripped off the gun in one hand, magic in the other from Undying though.

I think that Jericho wanted to be more open, kinda like Ghost Recon where you can plan tactically and use the abilities at your disposal in interesting ways. Unfortunately, the level design is purely corridors where you shoot bulletsponge enemies in front of you and behind you on occasion, and some of the abilities seem somewhat finicky to use. I still need to finish, but I find myself using the lady with the bomb charges as her "ability" more than, say, the guy with the kick-rear end fire demon because her ability is pretty straight forward. It's an interesting game, but also one that at no point meets its potential.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Improbable Lobster posted:

More player and spectator, really.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Was it Jericho or Undying that had some weird, silly easter eggs like a giant sheep, the player chasing an npc maid around, and a super-hidden disco room?

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
That's Undying. Iirc it had a tiny diorama of shrunken live enemies somewhere too.

Jericho was pretty lacking in Easter eggs; I think the squad system damaged it because everyone pretty much starts with their whole kit. Not to mention that Jones, the lovely guy who's only power is astral projection, breaks the loving game if you start using him to poo poo AOE spells on enemy swarms at zero cost to the characters that usually cast them. Yeah like halfway through the game he can cast other people's spells for reasons. I think it's mentioned once, but it makes those powers a million times better and longer ranged.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I liked Jericho more than most; I enjoy feeling like a badass in my games, and being a team of psychics armed to the teeth that explore a dead city, shooting up skeletons and poo poo, is pretty hard to top. Gameplay wasn't great, but not bad enough to ruin the experience.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Finally getting around to playing Outlast: Whistleblower, and...I can't help but notice everyone trying to kill you in the base game has been replaced with everyone apparently trying to *rape* you. Which is mildly unsettling

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

s.i.r.e. posted:

This is hilarious and I'd approve of a horror game based around Bible stories because that's crazy.

just start a conversation with a guy on the subway for the complete plot

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Judges 15 - King James Version y'all posted: posted:

15 And he found a new jawbone of an rear end, and put forth his hand, and took it, and slew a thousand men therewith.

16 And Samson said, With the jawbone of an rear end, heaps upon heaps, with the jaw of an rear end have I slain a thousand men.

So Samson killed 1,000 men with the the jawbone of a donkey? The bible really needs more of this and less everything else.

There was an interesting game a few years back that was about Enoch can't recall the name.

Anyway here is a game about hell apparently being made by 9 devs that made The Divison, and the witcher 3 and some other games: agony

quote:

Agony is a first-person survival horror game currently in development.
Players will begin their journey as tormented soul within the depths of hell without any memories about his past.

Literally randomly found this right now googling "games about hell" because I wanted a biblical connection but looks potentially interesting.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DropsySufferer posted:

There was an interesting game a few years back that was about Enoch can't recall the name.
El Shaddai.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Agony appears technically impressive but that's about it. It's grotesque with an over the top presentation without there appearing to be a point to it (other than "because it's hell lol"). At some point you literally see a stone wall made with live babies used as the mortar. No really. Besides that there is such a high amount of clutter you can barely walk decently in some places, get stuck sometimes plus it's hard to discern the clutter from interactive items and notes.

If what we've seen so far is a decent representative of the whole I think I'm skipping this one. It's just messy in way too many ways and it feels like they hardly have anything resembling a design document, regardless of how true or false that may be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

El shaddi is seriously kind of a trippy game. At one point a boss fight was me beating up mooks in the background while the boss was doing his singing solo in the foreground. Take up 50% of your screen.

Oh and there's a motorcycle scene in a futuristic city. In a game about the book of Enoch.