Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

shelley posted:

Chris/Christine is very active on Facebook, where she's super consistent about using female pronouns for herself and describing herself as a woman. She treats her transsexuality as a big part of her identity, and it came up somehow in every one of her posts I saw when I stumbled on her page a while back. Basically, if you hadn't looked Chris-chan up in a while, the female pronouns would be the first big change you'd notice in her new content.

I guess an awkward part of her recent behavior might be that she watches, and genuinely believes in, YouTube "hypnosis" videos that claim to produce changes in the body. Like, growing titties or a vagina. She firmly believes this works.

Last I time checked she did have titties.

e: Although that was before becoming a woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

this is the funniest loving thing I've read on reddit

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

Wasn't Chris-chan the person who wrote long rear end letters to the Sonic comics because it interfered with his head canon or something? The writer of the comic was all "Uh this is a comic for children".

I think that was David Gonterman.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

MissEchelon posted:

quote:

EDIT 3: WELP. Things kind of suck worse than ever. Because the vast majority of you were so supportive, we decided to tell his mom and stepdad. It went horribly. They disowned him and cut him off; which is a huge loving problem since they were paying for a portion of our apartment.

The way they reacted was just a taste of how we feel others will respond, so we've decided to break up. However, before we cancel our wedding plans outright, we are going to speak to our father and take a DNA test. Thank you to everyone for their support and kindness ... I just wish things had had a more positive end. This entire situation is just hosed.

Lmao Reddit's "nah incest is cool and beautiful" ruined her poo poo

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Not taking advice from Reddit is generally a good idea.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.
And the fact the hack "journalists" just browse reddit for click baity things to right about.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/a8500146/reddit-my-fiance-is-my-half-brother-thread/?src=socialflowFB

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
A few of the people who were heavily complicit in the CWC are now running about as part of Weird Stalinist Twitter.

They get very upset if you say that Weird Stalinist Twitter's harassment tactics are similar to Gamergate's or those against CWC.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

InediblePenguin posted:

if CWC said CWC wants to be called "she" then loving call her "she" until and unless she changes her mind and asks you to do otherwise

it's not your job to decide on what other people are really thinking in their head, such as with this "oh not really trans just inflicted by trolls" thing -- if people use their words to ask you something that isn't harmful to you or anyone else then why not just loving do it?

oh right, because humans are lovely

It's clearly a deranged person. We can't assume the mental problems reach everything except sexual identity.
This isn't the hill you want to die on.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It would be really great if this thread would make fun of Ken Penders and not beat the Chris chan dead horse, or God forbid argue about who is "really" transgender and who isn't.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I love when the AUG thread turns into the AUG thread.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
To cut the CWC arguments short, enjoy some elected politicians singing a horrible cover of a Christmas song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY-FhQFnl1w

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure Penders wasn't even obsessed with Knuckles to the exclusion of Sonic - Penders had an original story he'd always wanted to do and when he got to write the Knuckles stories just forced the square peg of his thrilling (?) saga into that round hole.

Since the end of his lawsuit against Sega, which sought to stop them from using characters he'd created without his permission, and the start of his attempts to get his own Original Character Do Not Steal saga going, he complains a lot on Twitter about how mean Sega and Archie are for not letting him use their characters. :ironicat:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm pretty sure Penders wasn't even obsessed with Knuckles to the exclusion of Sonic - Penders had an original story he'd always wanted to do and when he got to write the Knuckles stories just forced the square peg of his thrilling (?) saga into that round hole.

Since the end of his lawsuit against Sega, which sought to stop them from using characters he'd created without his permission, and the start of his attempts to get his own Original Character Do Not Steal saga going, he complains a lot on Twitter about how mean Sega and Archie are for not letting him use their characters. :ironicat:

This the best. :allears:

I can just imagine some poor Japanese businessman who works for Sega buying some fun and cool comics for his children and seeing this poo poo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hang on, Knuckles is at the top of the tree. Does that mean everyone below is his descendants?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shout out to whoever got me for SA Secret Santa:
https://streamable.com/pma2

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

whiteyfats posted:

This the best. :allears:

I can just imagine some poor Japanese businessman who works for Sega buying some fun and cool comics for his children and seeing this poo poo.

Japanese game companies' reactions to American comic-book adaptations of their properties are... a thing.

Malibu Comics' Street Fighter Issue #3 posted:

As many of you might have heard, due to complications with Capcom and their dislike of our adaptation of the most popular game in the world, concluding with this issue, Street Fighter the comic book has officially been cancelled. We formally apologise for the dissatisfaction and disappointment we know this news can and will generate. We are true fans of Street Fighter, so even though we will no longer be publishing it, we sincerely hope someone else does!

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

zoux posted:

That is depressing as gently caress.

Also I love how the knuckle-people naming conventions are all over he loving place.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Hang on, Knuckles is at the top of the tree. Does that mean everyone below is his descendants?

There's the blurb next to Knuckles name that says "Will Knuckles have a brother or a sister?" So from that context, this tree starts at the bottom, and that Knuckles' mom bones some other dude.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't understand isn't most of the tree lacking more than one parent for the characters? But then some do show two parents so it's not just the style.

Why do I caaaare :anime:

E: Oh I'm a moron you read it upwards.

Strategic Tea has a new favorite as of 16:13 on Dec 15, 2016

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Hmm I also just noticed that knuckles boned a distant relative and that resulted in lara-su. Nice.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Now I'm not a fancy big city genealogist, but when your family tree starts at one common point, diverges, and then meets back again to another single point...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

clockwork chaos posted:

There's the blurb next to Knuckles name that says "Will Knuckles have a brother or a sister?" So from that context, this tree starts at the bottom, and that Knuckles' mom bones some other dude.

He subsequently had a brother, but said brother was introduced by a different writer (Karl Bollers) who gave him the name "Kneecaps" the Echidna (because it's funny). Penders was a bit put out by this, because in his mind the Very Serious Knuckles Saga and the Very Serious Characters populating it deserve to be treated with more respect, so he later retconned it so "Kneecaps" was just a nickname and the character's real name was (wait for it) "Kneecapeon Mace".

This was revealed in a ten-part storyline which looked at the characters 25 years in the future, which spent an entire installment following Knuckles and Sonic's wives and daughters having a sleepover while Knuckles and Sonic played snooker in Knuckles's rec room. Again, this was a ten-part story, and Ken Penders decided it needed a whole issue devoted to Sonic characters lying about in their pajamas talking about things that had little-to-nothing to do with the ostensible main plot.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Kneecapeon Mace".

I steeled myself but I still wasn't ready

and now my coworkers are looking at me funny

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

MissEchelon posted:

I love the throwaway account name "oopscest"

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
How do these guys ever get hired? I to want to write lovely stories and get paid for it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also you know, someone always asks "WTF is it with Sonic? Why are there so many fans and why are they so insane?" and someone always says "something something autism facial expressions". But surely this can't explain the likes of Ken Penders??

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It's impossible to know because some chucklefuck named a crucial protein family after sonic, making it impossible to search on pubmed or scholar

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

theflyingexecutive posted:

It's impossible to know because some chucklefuck named a crucial protein family after sonic, making it impossible to search on pubmed or scholar

Just in case you don't believe this man who's 100% right

http://www.uniprot.org/uniprot/Q15465

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fathis Munk posted:

How do these guys ever get hired? I to want to write lovely stories and get paid for it.

Because it's a tie-in comic for a video game series that hasn't been particularly good since about 1994, I imagine.

Here's something else to think about : Ken Penders was the main writer on the Sonic comics for approximately 12 years.

Data Graham posted:

Also you know, someone always asks "WTF is it with Sonic? Why are there so many fans and why are they so insane?" and someone always says "something something autism facial expressions". But surely this can't explain the likes of Ken Penders??

Probably little coincidence that most of the really AUG Sonic fans don't really tend to be all that into the games so much as the Archie comic and especially the SatAM cartoon, which is the one that had all the Archie characters and always gets a big deal made over how "dark" and "mature" it was.

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 16:31 on Dec 15, 2016

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Fathis Munk posted:

That is depressing as gently caress.

Even the anime appliance pities the guy.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Sonic attracts extremely bad artists and uncreative people because the bar for entry is completely nonexistent. The official, canon games feature characters that are mostly pallete swaps of Sonic himself, and so making an "original character" is as easy as changing Sonic slightly and saying he's a vole named Terry or something. Your mary sue do not steal character fits in pretty well with the official characters. This attracts people who can't take criticism at all and who are also completely uninterested in actually improving.
You've also got the fact that the games have gone off the fuckin deep end over the last 20 years and filled the Sonic world with real human beings and a bunch of sappy drama, which just encourages over-indulgent wish fulfillment fanfiction and art. Like when Sonic 2006 is what Sega themselves is putting out there, every clown on deviantart is emboldened to fart out a tragic backstory full of dramatic moments to make themselves feel like a Serious Creative Person.
Ken Penders is one of these people who somehow got hired to do it for real. He started on the comic long enough ago that the online fandom wasn't obvious or well established like it is now and so he was able to slide this under everyone's noses for years.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

In case you were wondering

This is the comic that made SEGA go "wtf"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

purple death ray posted:

Sonic attracts extremely bad artists and uncreative people because the bar for entry is completely nonexistent. The official, canon games feature characters that are mostly pallete swaps of Sonic himself, and so making an "original character" is as easy as changing Sonic slightly and saying he's a vole named Terry or something. Your mary sue do not steal character fits in pretty well with the official characters. This attracts people who can't take criticism at all and who are also completely uninterested in actually improving.
You've also got the fact that the games have gone off the fuckin deep end over the last 20 years and filled the Sonic world with real human beings and a bunch of sappy drama, which just encourages over-indulgent wish fulfillment fanfiction and art. Like when Sonic 2006 is what Sega themselves is putting out there, every clown on deviantart is emboldened to fart out a tragic backstory full of dramatic moments to make themselves feel like a Serious Creative Person.
Ken Penders is one of these people who somehow got hired to do it for real. He started on the comic long enough ago that the online fandom wasn't obvious or well established like it is now and so he was able to slide this under everyone's noses for years.

Autistic people learn art by repeating drawing something until they've mostly perfected. The minor variations fall into a common perception among autistic people that other people share extremely similar personalities and attributes. Then they will use Mario or sonic to explore creative or mature themes because it provides a safe place removed from their actual experiences.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Wheat Loaf posted:

digging through the wreckage of the Chandler house after it burned down to steal Chris's old report cards.

:stare:

Wheat Loaf posted:

If you take a glance at the CWCki forum, too, the largest group of users seems to be a bunch MRAs and Gamergate leftovers who crawled out of the woodwork when Chris came out as transgender and spend their time whinging about how the lamestream media won't tell the Fair and Balanced truth about Zoe Quinn.

I found out about that forum when one of the people they harassed showed up in person at the registered address for "LOLCOW LLC" to tell them to give it a rest, found it was the forum administrator's parents house, and had a talk with the guy's mom

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Simsmagic posted:

In case you were wondering

This is the comic that made SEGA go "wtf"

WAY PAST COOL!

hackbunny posted:

I found out about that forum when one of the people they harassed showed up in person at the registered address for "LOLCOW LLC" to tell them to give it a rest, found it was the forum administrator's parents house, and had a talk with the guy's mom

Haha, where can I read about this?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Wheat Loaf posted:

Haha, where can I read about this?

I don't remember and I don't want to remember. Choose life, choose happiness and don't pursue this further

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

By the way, one of the people who hated ken's writing in sonic the comic is a certain David gonterman

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I'm gonna ask that the ChanChat come to an end, because multiple people have requested this.

As a note, as I have mentioned I am the only mod/IK/person in general with any degree of power who will touch this thread, therefore reports don't really go anywhere. If you have PMs, you can message me if I am not paying attention and this thread is getting seriously shittier than normal. If you don't have PMs, get your poo poo together and bend to the almighty Lowtax.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Saddest Rhino posted:

By the way, one of the people who hated ken's writing in sonic the comic is a certain David gonterman

Gonterman starting an Internet campaign back in the late 1990s when he heard Penders was going to kill off Princess Sally in #50 of the Sonic comic is actually one of the things that made him "famous", because it apparently got big enough that Penders himself noticed it and responded to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

zoux posted:

Jesus christ this is not a world that should exist.

• Locked thread