Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
So when the gently caress are my bothan boys involved? Are they gonna re-release New Hope with the new Mon Mothma saying "many stubbled dudes died to bring us this information"?

Like for the only copy of the Death Star weakness to still be the file with Leia that ship needs to get chased down pretty quickly.

Mola Yam posted:

"Are you kidding me?! I'm blind!"

Yeah that made me chuckle, Vader turning around to make his zinger was great too.

The tentacle rape monster was a bit bizarre though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Vitamin P posted:

So when the gently caress are my bothan boys involved? Are they gonna re-release New Hope with the new Mon Mothma saying "many stubbled dudes died to bring us this information"?

... That's the second Death Star.

edit: to be fair I've made this mistake before and even thought of it for a second during the film. My friend who's an avid fan made the same mistake as well after the film.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Dec 15, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
It surprises me that so many people forget that she was talking about the second Death Star plans.

Like, it's a scene from Return of the Jedi and she's talking about the new Death Star.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Never been so glad to be wrong about Star Wars.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
I'm the lovely tape library you have to control with two joysticks.

radlum
May 13, 2013

ApexAftermath posted:

If you want to watch Vader wreck poo poo at the end of the film here ya go. Not sure how long this will remain up.

Vader wrecking Rebels

Does that scene happen in inside Raddus' ship? Why was the Tantive IV inside it?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
That was a good movie. JJ Abrams, you need to lift you game.

It has some minor problems...The tone of the movie is clearly been changed and the rough edges show pretty clearly. I'd really like to know what the original movie was about before the re-shoots, but I still think it was a very good movie.

Never Split The Party.

Kennic was a let down. He's literately overshadowed by two much better villains - he's part of the rough edge - whatever kind of character he was supposed to be, never came out in the movie.

Also the music right now to me is completely unmemorable. Did they get the same guy whom does the MARVEL music to do it?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

radlum posted:

Does that scene happen in inside Raddus' ship? Why was the Tantive IV inside it?

I'm guessing they knew the command ship was disabled and they needed a ship big enough to dock and still be able to get the plans across.

Also gave old Darth an excuse to to show the true power of the dark side.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

Don't worry I'm sure the next inbetween film will feature the charming scoundrel Manny Boffins, loved by rebels everywhere, making off with the DS II plans and dying at the end

Electrophotonic fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 15, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Comstar posted:

Also the music right now to me is completely unmemorable. Did they get the same guy whom does the MARVEL music to do it?

Yeah, the music was a complete letdown. Particularly in light of the trailers which had some incredible pieces.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

ApexAftermath posted:

If you want to watch Vader wreck poo poo at the end of the film here ya go. Not sure how long this will remain up.

Vader wrecking Rebels

Holy gently caress :magical:

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

ApexAftermath posted:

Vader wrecking Rebels

loving hell. Why couldn't we have gotten like 5 seconds of something like this with unsuited Vader during the fall of the temple in ROTS?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Comstar posted:

Michael Giacchino had four and a half weeks to write the score for this since he was a last-minute replacement for Alexandre Desplat, who was originally scoring the film and had become unavailable to alter/write new cues due to the reshoots creating a scheduling conflict.

Giacchino had like maybe a week between wrapping on his Doctor Strange score and doing this one.

So the beige wallpaper feel of the score could be chalked up to Disney's sudden case of cold feet on whatever the original Edwards version of the movie was. No time to properly write/integrate themes and build a score alongside the directors and editors and sound designers.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

ApexAftermath posted:

Vader wrecking Rebels

I thought it would be way more stalker-y and less a godlike monster playing with kids. Still cool and probably makes sense fitting in with the whole BROKEN ROBOT MAN IN CONSTANT PAIN thing, but...

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Comstar posted:

That was a good movie. JJ Abrams, you need to lift you game.

It has some minor problems...The tone of the movie is clearly been changed and the rough edges show pretty clearly. I'd really like to know what the original movie was about before the re-shoots, but I still think it was a very good movie.

Never Split The Party.

Kennic was a let down. He's literately overshadowed by two much better villains - he's part of the rough edge - whatever kind of character he was supposed to be, never came out in the movie.

I actually don't think there was anything drastic in the reshoots. After seeing it, I'm more inclined to believe Chris McQuarrie's version of events, which was that he wrote a lot of scenes of people talking in Spaceships. The only things that actually felt like a reshoot to me were hologram Mads Mikkelson (In which he really hammers home his motivations) and the magical reappearance of Diego Luna at the end. What really seems odd about the ending is that she isn't the one to kill Kennic and I thought it would've been something they might've fixed if they were reshooting. You'd think after everything she'd get some payoff.

I also think the movie ended like 2 minutes too late. I appreciate the cool visual of Vader, but I don't need this movie to take us to literally minutes before A NEW HOPE either.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

DrVenkman posted:

I actually don't think there was anything drastic in the reshoots.

Dude, go back and watch the teaser and first trailer. They reshot stuff from every part of the movie. There is no way to know what we missed out on, but its very clear the reshots were extensive.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It's also hard to know what's reshoot and what's editing though

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just watched this. Most of the film is pretty mediocre. Felicity Jones is very underwhelming, perhaps not helped by her arc being so thinly sketched for a protagonist. And some of the dialogue is downright amateurish.

But they absolutely loving nail the climax. That's the last 30 or 40 minutes of the film, probably. It really hit the spot for me. What a glorious showdown. And them dying in an embrace on the beach. The film absolutely captured the tragedy, romance, and fatalism of the moment. It feels so un-Star Wars in such a refreshing, striking way.

And the ending. A good section of the theater was squealing (as was I) when they went all A New Hope on our asses. I don't even care about Fake Leia, they gave her the right line and everything else was perfect. Loved it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Man you guys are right, the first teaser trailer is very different from the final film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wji-BZ0oCwg

I kinda wish I got to see whatever version the trailer was advertising

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Trump posted:

Dude, go back and watch the teaser and first trailer. They reshot stuff from every part of the movie. There is no way to know what we missed out on, but its very clear the reshots were extensive.

What? That doesn't prove anything at all. Trailers are filled with alternate takes, particularly early trailers. Most of that stuff is assembled before A) A final cut is delivered and B) Before shooting has even finished. The original teaser was released back in April and honestly, it's not that different to what we actually got

Saying "they reshot stuff from every part of the movie" is hilarious hyperbole. There's a handful of shots there that were not in the finish movie (The scene with the rebel pilots being led in chains for one) whereas others just look shortened from existing scenes. But again that's nothing new. It doesn't look like a completely different movie, and some are repurposed thanks to editing and music. They've been selling this from the start as 'the gritty and dark one' and this just feels like the marketing people nailing that down. The actual first trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frdj1zb9sMY

Isn't very different at all. Again it just repurposes some lines for the trailer (Forrest Whitakker's line about 'Flags across the Galaxy' is just shortened from his actual one in the movie).

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 15, 2016

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Also lol the meeting scene where some background dude shouts "What's she proposing?" like a bad extra

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

Vitamin P posted:

Jesus gently caress, CGI Leia will haunt my nightmares. The Star Wars tradition of pushing new special effects ground and not quite getting it right continues.

Tarkin looking out the window, his face just as a reflection. Looking kinda believable. Then he turns around to face the camera and starts to speak... it's just... :cripes: bad.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Rolling Scissors posted:

Tarkin looking out the window, his face just as a reflection. Looking kinda believable. Then he turns around to face the camera and starts to speak... it's just... :cripes: bad.

Yeah, it didn't help that both characters had a DRAMATIC HEAD TURN to reveal the CGI faces. I thought Tarkins reflection and even some of the more naturalistic scenes with him were fine but having whole shots dedicated to the uncanny valley machine faces didn't work at all.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vintimus Prime posted:

loving hell. Why couldn't we have gotten like 5 seconds of something like this with unsuited Vader during the fall of the temple in ROTS?

Murdering kids on film?

Eh....

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

euphronius posted:

Murdering kids on film?

Eh....

No not the kids. The actual adult Jedi and apprentices it's alluded to that he killed based off the hologram they showed Vader fighting a couple of Jedi while Obi Wan watches the security archive

Electromax
May 6, 2007

euphronius posted:

Murdering kids on film?

Eh....

Killing.... younglings...!

Red7
Sep 10, 2008
Guys random question

Who was playing Red Five in this movie - the guy looked totally out of place like a celebrity Cameo?

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kingtheninja posted:

So, if you watch close you can see the hammerhead ship still pushing into the side of the star destroyer when they collide with the station and explode. I thought that was the biggest wtf moment for me, as it seemed entirely unnecessary for that ship to still be there at that point. Idk if it's a modeling thing or what, as you do see a hammerhead ship escape a moment later.

By the time it all fell into the shield the hammerhead's engines were off so I presume the ship was damaged by the ramming or overheating the engines or something and just couldn't scoot anymore.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Red7 posted:

Guys random question

Who was playing Red Five in this movie - the guy looked totally out of place like a celebrity Cameo?

The kings guard from Game of thrones.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

DrVenkman posted:

What? That doesn't prove anything at all. Trailers are filled with alternate takes, particularly early trailers. Most of that stuff is assembled before A) A final cut is delivered and B) Before shooting has even finished. The original teaser was released back in April and honestly, it's not that different to what we actually got

Saying "they reshot stuff from every part of the movie" is hilarious hyperbole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frdj1zb9sMY

Isn't very different at all. Again it just repurposes some lines for the trailer (Forrest Whitakker's line about 'Flags across the Galaxy' is just shortened from his actual one in the movie).

I guess someone in Disney is happy that people believed the damage control around the reshoots.

Whitakers scenes were obviously all reshot.

The exposition scene with Mon Mothma appears to have been completely reshot, including signs that Jyns back story was changed and the dynamics between the Rebel Alliance and Jyn.

Jyn and Cassian is shown participating in the ground battle against the AT-ATs.

The scene with the TiE-fighter in the tower wasn't in the movie. Neither was the shot of Krennic walking through the water.

Trump fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 15, 2016

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Jyn was originally a criminal that was reluctantly being pressed into the mission... The first teasers made it feel way more Dirty Dozen-y.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Trump posted:

I guess someone in Disney is happy that people believed the damage control around the reshoots.

Whitakers scenes were obviously all reshot.

The exposition scene with Mon Mothma appears to have been completely reshot, including signs that Jyns back story was changed and the dynamics between the Rebel Alliance and Jyn.

Jyn and Cassian is shown participating in the ground battle against the AT-ATs.

The scene with the TiE-fighter in the tower wasn't in the movie. Neither was the shot of Krennic walking through the water.

While we know there were reshoots, we still don't know what was and wasn't included, and what was and wasn't from reshoots or alternate takes. Lots of stuff hits the cutting room floor, even stuff with complete or near complete CG. We're seeing new material, cuts, and different takes, and we have no idea what changed or how, until someone lays out the changes.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Teal posted:

By the time it all fell into the shield the hammerhead's engines were off so I presume the ship was damaged by the ramming or overheating the engines or something and just couldn't scoot anymore.

it kind of digs in at one point. I kind of assume it got stuck.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Fuzz posted:

Jyn was originally a criminal that was reluctantly being pressed into the mission... The first teasers made it feel way more Dirty Dozen-y.

What is Jyn now?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Wandle Cax posted:

Naw, man, that was Dodonna.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Trump posted:

Not necessarily. I work in the movie industry and there's often multiple versions of the same shot for the director to choose from and they do often change their minds from the time the first teaser-trailer is released until the final movie is done.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I'm willing to bet the reshots were to add in Tarkin and Vader. I mean, I liked having them both in the film, but neither of them really did anything.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Red7 posted:

Guys random question

? I could have sworn he cameod as a pilot.

Catsplosion fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 16, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I liked it over all, but like other people have said its only gets good and great in the last 50 min and amazing in the last 10 or 5.

Whitaker felt kinda wasted, he felt like someone i was supposed to know from other places(i assume the cartoon) but i liked that he was all hosed up and nuts.

I liked that the rebels were a morally greyier.

I liked tarkin despite the uncanny valley which was better then i thought it would be.

the last 5 min were great.

i liked the various cameos.

i liked that vaders castle is on mustifar it felt right.

the first half or so feels kinda rough. like it doesn't know what it wants to do. and that's probably because of the re shoots but there are good moments sprinkled through out. and it takes off and is good/great/amazing in the last half.

i liked krennic enough. i like that he is an overly ambitious almost space blue collar rear end in a top hat though he doesnt do much. i liked when he actually talks poo poo to vader, and gets put in his place and i liked tarkin loving with him.

the main characters were ok, but annoyingly forgettable. i only really liked the pilot and the temple guards.

as people have said in other threads. it has issues that godzilla had but much better done or hidden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Wandle Cax posted:

i assume you mean blue one? which kingsguard was he.

• Locked thread