Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Speaking of the press videos, this one is my absolute favorite for what happens when the stack of CDs just cant take the pressure anymore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrsjMjDKCZQ&t=123s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Joe Shmo gets told to fix it after being given inadequate training and equipment to deal with the situation. Yeah, everyone sucks in that video, but I feel worse for the guy trying to keep his job than the idiots who clearly can't drive and the corp that actively hates everyone.

Also, lol at those conditions. My 87yo oma will blindly drive through a blizzard after an ice storm to winterize the trailer and manges to handle her 1980s Oldsmobile better than that F-150 idiot.

Reminds me of the time the Mythbusters tested some poo poo about driving in the snow and managed to crash constantly while dealing with like 2cm of ice rink slush in a Cali parking lot.

Fuckn non-Minnesotan yanks. Buncha hosers.

E: hosed up my Ice American demonym

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Dec 15, 2016

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Everyone would all agree that if, rather than Bad Corporation Truck Man, it were a bus full of nuns and orphans waiting to turn left into one of those driveways, it would be the fault of the idiots in the ditch.

If you are driving so fast you can't stop in time for a hazard over a hill, you're driving too fast.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
But but but the Commcast man wasn't all nice and subservient!

Poor bastard's out in the freezing bloody snow doing a poo poo job for low pay and is currently dealing with fuckwit drivers trying to kill him by driving too fast.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lol at everyone in that vid, but the comcast guy could have done a little more instead of being so cynical and by the book. Like, just walk those cones up the hill a bit and put them at the crest of the hill so people can see them from farther away.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I come to this thread for examples of the destruction that results when people fail to follow the bare minimum safety regulations. That video delivered.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KoRMaK posted:

Lol at everyone in that vid, but the comcast guy could have done a little more instead of being so cynical and by the book. Like, just walk those cones up the hill a bit and put them at the crest of the hill so people can see them from farther away.

Exactly. Of course the people who crashed were driving too fast, but the Comcast guys are the ones knowingly creating an obstruction in the road right over a crest. Even if they were not required to by law or policy they should have set up more warning or parked in a better spot. Once the second person crashed they knew they were causing it and chose to continue doing nothing.

I don't even know how they could continue to not care as vehicles kept crashing around them. Their own interest in not getting hit by said cars should have been enough.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

KoRMaK posted:

Doesn't matter. lovely drivers will still be lovely drivers and blame Comcast guy. Look at how fast the F-150 was going.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Well yes but given that we know that many drivers are bad at driving, one should go the extra length to make sure one does not get crashed into.

If as a pedestrian I use the crosswalks properly but don't look both ways and get hit by a car, it's the car's fault for not stopping but also my not looking that got me hit.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
It's a little odd to me that anyone can look at that video and not decide every single person it it (aside from those driving carefully) is a lovely person. The drivers are lovely the comcast guys are and the video taking guy is.

Really trying to decide who is exactly the most at fault is a fool's errand.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
"do you have any more cones?"
"dude we need a few more cones!"
"hey how about some more cones over here!"
"i've got my own cones out here"

traffic cone fetishist

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

PhotoKirk posted:

Doesn't matter. lovely drivers will still be lovely drivers and blame Comcast guy. Look at how fast the F-150 was going.
"Wrap it up, OSHA. Can't reduce the risk of idiots being idiots, so lets just scrap all this pointless regulation."

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

you irl posted:

"do you have any more cones?"
"dude we need a few more cones!"
"hey how about some more cones over here!"
"i've got my own cones out here"

traffic cone fetishist

I love that by putting more personal cones out the filmed essentially proved that it made no difference for the safety. But on the other hand I could never be as relaxed about cars crashing around you like the Comcast guy was. I guess he was used to it?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Cugel the Clever posted:

"Wrap it up, OSHA. Can't reduce the risk of idiots being idiots, so lets just scrap all this pointless regulation."

More like, make something idiot-proof and idiots will strive even harder to die in dumb ways. Look at the 11'8" bridge.

I'm all for OSHA, I enjoy having all of my fingers. But 30+ years of dealing with the public has given me a rather dismal view of the average individual.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

That F-150 driver is pretty representative of every F-150 driver ever.

Bokito
Jul 25, 2007
Going Ape
I'm starting to think that workplace safety is not a high priority in China:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bc3_1481760085

NWS obviously!

Bokito fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 15, 2016

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Jesus Christ. There isn't visible gore because the resolution is so low, but at the end he is flung off and oozes into a depression on the floor, after the machine spins all his goddamn clothes right off him.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Bokito posted:

:nws: :nms: :nws: :nms:

Label your dumb snuff videos.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Bokito posted:

:nms::nws::nms::nws:

You know how frog legs are prepared, right?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Boogalo posted:

Label your dumb snuff videos.

"China" and "workplace safety" doesn't scream "snuff video" to you already?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bokito posted:

"Mechanic dies after being pulled into a spinning machine" - so glad I have the extension which automatically labels all blind linked videos.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

"Mechanic dies after being pulled into a spinning machine" - so glad I have the extension which automatically labels all blind linked videos.

I've long since learned not to click any links in this thread.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

"A LiveLeak video involving a Chinese worker in the osha thread. What ever could it be?" - idiot

revolther
May 27, 2008
The link description was a warning, there was buffer warning page asking "are you sure you wanna see this material unsuitable for minors?"

"Christ put yet another a warning label on that!" - OSHA.thread

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Liveleak into a depression on the floor.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

At least it looks like he died quickly. Getting smashed around like that you wouldn't be awake for long. Also I did a real basic calculation and his head was experiencing roughly -6g, which is twice the survivable limit in that direction, so he'd be unconscious in seconds even if he weren't dead.

e: btw it's not gory, it's just one of those viscerally disturbing videos where you see a 30-pixel-long pale shape going round and round in a machine and you know it's someone's body.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 15, 2016

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Dr. Klas posted:

I love that by putting more personal cones out the filmed essentially proved that it made no difference for the safety. But on the other hand I could never be as relaxed about cars crashing around you like the Comcast guy was. I guess he was used to it?

That work zone was highly unsafe and those guys are hosed. Comcast is going to lose lawsuits because of them. If traffic is going too fast, it's because you aren't doing enough to slow them down, hello liability.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Gorilla Salad posted:

What extension is that?
TIA :)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

coupbrick posted:

That work zone was highly unsafe and those guys are hosed. Comcast is going to lose lawsuits because of them. If traffic is going too fast, it's because you aren't doing enough to slow them down, hello liability.
They may owe fines based on local worksite requirements but getting faulted for inhibiting traffic in civil court is going to be an uphill battle because the precedents are generally you need to be responsible to stop your own drat self because what if it wasn't a worksite and instead a kid getting a ball or a school bus making a left.

In case of a for real struck-by accident where they were found to not be meeting local laws and industry standards they'd stand to owe the workers for wrongful death/injury which is why they might change worksite policies within the company while spinning it about how they really care about the community too.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
If cops love to make money on every ticket they can write, how do cops not be there going "reckless driving... reckless driving... reckless driving... man I'm making BANK here!"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bokito posted:

NWS obviously!

Holy poo poo. This went on for so long that it would have been a comedy sketch if it wasn't a real person dying.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Ak Gara posted:

If cops love to make money on every ticket they can write, how do cops not be there going "reckless driving... reckless driving... reckless driving... man I'm making BANK here!"

Cops and tow trucks get sooooooo backlogged when the weather gets like that.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I get the arguments for the Comcast guy being in the wrong, but holy poo poo those people are driving like morons, especially the guy in the pickup that ended up through two yards, a tree, and someone's bumper. Come on man.

Sure, the cones should have been further up, especially given the first few issues as a warning of more to come. The "extra cones" didn't seem to do poo poo, though, and it's not like the giant stationary bucket truck he had was invisible over the small hill (I'm not sure how small it is, but it looks pretty shallow in the video). His hazard lights are hilariously ineffective though. But given the number of people who make it around just fine it's clear that there's another factor contributing to the people who had issues.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Since those people presumably live in that place where it snows and gets really cold every year, mayyyybe we can assume that a huge chunk of accidents in one spot is due to the fact that it might be particularly bad conditions.

I personally have never seen that many accidents in one spot and I've lived in some frosty hell holes.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Since those people presumably live in that place where it snows and gets really cold every year, mayyyybe we can assume that a huge chunk of accidents in one spot is due to the fact that it might be particularly bad conditions.

I personally have never seen that many accidents in one spot and I've lived in some frosty hell holes.

Apparently it's in Indiana, which isn't so cold as you might think. Depending on which part of the state they are in it could be uncommon weather there. My grandparents lived in Indiana for a while and hardly ever got snow. Below freezing temperatures, sure, but precipitation wasn't very common. A light dusting of snow was the most I ever saw there during holiday visits. It may very well be that these people don't know how to drive in the weather. I also agree that the number of issues indicates an issue with the location as well. There's fault to be distributed around here, it doesn't lay solely with any one party.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

I'm the person standing in between two cars on an icy road.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ak Gara posted:

Because speeding tickets are easy. There's always somewhere local where the speed limit is too low meaning an officer can basically take their pick while literally everyone speeds. If the officer does their job correctly they're hard to fight too. If the speed gun is calibrated to standards and is being used properly they can be sure they're going to get a fine out of the person. Sure if the person bothers to fight it they'll probably get out of the points, but since speed enforcement isn't actually about safety no one cares about that. The fine on the alternate charges is usually greater than the one with the points, so effectively you're paying your way out of points and the municipality wins.

With most other driving infractions if there wasn't a crash or if it wasn't clearly caught on video it's a game of "he said, she said" and while the officer's word generally carries more weight it's more ambiguity than the revenue enforcers care for.

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND

ethanol posted:

Caves can be fun, the ones in arizona are marked for hidden dangers pretty well, the more dangerous ones are gated off with the strongest iron bars ever. I did go in a few caves that took several mile hikes to get to and despite not running into danger, the psychological effect of being underground in pitch black miles away from a road let alone a town got to me reaaaaal fast, especially as the cave ceiling became a crawl space and so on...

Nonetheless, the gated ones are usually gated only because somebody died there, so there's plenty of room for error and you need to be unstupid

Makes me think of the story of Floyd Collins, which I heard about on a podcast few weeks back. One of the first mass media sensations.

quote:

On January 30, 1925, after several hours of work, Collins managed to squeeze through several narrow passageways; he claimed he had discovered a large chamber, though this was never verified. Because his lamp was dying, he had to leave quickly before exploring the chamber. He became trapped in a small passage on his way out. He accidentally knocked over his lamp, putting out the light, and in the dark he dislodged a rock from the ceiling, pinning his left leg. The rock weighed only 16 pounds, but it was wedged in where neither he nor rescuers could reach it.

Collins was trapped just 150 feet (50 m) from the entrance. After being found the next day by friends, crackers were taken to him, and an electric light was run down the passage to provide him light and some warmth.

Cave ended up collapsing between him and rescuers, so they belatedly starting digging a shaft to come in behind him. Sadly reached him a few days late.

On the other hand,

quote:

Shortly after the media arrived, the publicity drew crowds of tourists to the site, at one point numbering in the tens of thousands. Vendors set up stalls to sell food and souvenirs, creating to a circus-like atmosphere.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Olothreutes posted:

There's fault to be distributed around here, it doesn't lay solely with any one party.

That may be true, but the Comcast guys are going to be found to have a much bigger percentage of fault. There are standards for setting up a work zone, especially when blocking a lane, and it ain't "I got 1 cone per 10 feet, and a whole 4 cones!" That's not anywhere near enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

wolrah posted:

Because speeding tickets are easy. There's always somewhere local where the speed limit is too low meaning an officer can basically take their pick while literally everyone speeds. If the officer does their job correctly they're hard to fight too. If the speed gun is calibrated to standards and is being used properly they can be sure they're going to get a fine out of the person. Sure if the person bothers to fight it they'll probably get out of the points, but since speed enforcement isn't actually about safety no one cares about that. The fine on the alternate charges is usually greater than the one with the points, so effectively you're paying your way out of points and the municipality wins.

I never get tired of goons with the burnout tag acting like the cops made them speed somehow.