Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

oddium posted:

Do noT plAy

e: hang on i gotta workshop this one

Not quite as catchy as RunEscape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

LawfulWaffle posted:

Hello chat thread. Yesterday I woke up with a sore throat that resulted in massive coughing fits which is turn led to the involuntary ejection of my breakfast. I took off work and played Hyper Light Drifter and FFXV, but wound up taking my wife to the zoo for their light show in the evening when it was like 11 degrees out. Today I woke up with a similarly sore throat but I'm gonna power through it. These sudden dips in temperature are hell on my breathing tubes coupled with the fact that I'm trying to quit smoking are making a perfect storm of misery. I really wish I had a glass of honey with some tea in it but I'm gonna have to settle for water and cough drops until I run out of cough drops.
This sucks man, sometimes it's better to stay home and take it easy for a couple of days even if you feel like you're not that sick anymore but I know that not every workplace is understandable.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't go into work if you're sick and possibly make the people you work with sick too tia

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sakurazuka posted:

Don't go into work if you're sick and possibly make the people you work with sick too tia
A million loving times this

at the very least wear a mask

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yeah, that too but some employers don't give a poo poo and everybody has to power through it or some bullshit. I'm lucky I don't work at a place like that.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

oddium posted:

Do noT plAy

e: hang on i gotta workshop this one

DOn'TA

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

What if I have my own office and have had my parents' "never take a sick day" work ethic drilled into me so that I end up feeling crippling guilt if I stay home sick?

(I still stay home sick when I'm legitimately sick, though. Can't feel guilty while I'm asleep! Take that, Catholicism.)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I feel like if 13 year old me was in 2016 + only getting video games at christmas/birthdays/renting I would probably be playing dota instead of the terrible free to play MMOs/shareware games I would download non stop back then

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Woah, crossposting from the Steam thread:

The Kins posted:

All of the games Ubisoft gave away over the past year for their 30th anniversary are once again up for grabs this weekend, if you're willing to tolerate uPlay.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Splinter Cell
Rayman Origins
The Crew
Beyond Good & Evil
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Assassin's Creed 3
Free games for Christmas :getin:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

boy are my arms tired posted:

i think if people like mobas they should be able to play the mobas and enjoy it, if its league or hots or dota or w/e

I think people that like mobas should be locked up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

People who like mobas should be free to enjoy them, however I propose that it be illegal to make a new moba (or "X genre but with moba elements!") for the next two years. Just let that fuckin' craze die down a bit, not every game needs to jump into the genre conventions.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Mordja posted:

I think people that like mobas should be locked up.

i do not think people should be locked up for enjoying video games, Mordja !!

Harrow posted:

People who like mobas should be free to enjoy them, however I propose that it be illegal to make a new moba for the next two years. Just let that fuckin' craze die down a bit, not every game needs to jump into the genre conventions.

i think it is dying to be honest, paragon is probably the most recent moba addition and that aside i don't really see anything else on the horizon in the genre

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
There aren't really that many mobas tbh. There's the good one, the bad one, the third person one, the blizzard one and the new one. Its just that a poo poo load of people play the good one and the bad one, and a bunch more spread out among the rest.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't understand why the genre with the most complicated unnecessary bullshit mechanics ever coupled with the worst gaming community in history has produced the most popular and successful games in decades

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Sakurazuka posted:

This is good advice, and if I felt like it was the flu or something communicable then I would be at home for sure. But I feel like this is specific to how my body handles sudden changes in temperature and I have a corner cube that's tucked away from coworkers and clients (who I no longer see). My work provides me with plenty of personal time and I've got 40 hours of sick time banked even considering the 8 I took yesterday. On the flip side, my work piles up pretty quickly and while I can blow through it and get back to browsing the forums in a reasonable time, I'd spend twice as long fixing mistakes or things that were time critical that didn't get routed to someone who is in the office. My unit's also going to Melt for lunch as part of a holiday thing so I didn't want to miss it, and if I take off work but want to go to my pinball league finals that's going to paint a selfish picture for my wife who doesn't have the benefit of separate sick and vacation time.

I'll probably stick it out until after lunch, swing by a drugstore for more meds and a coughing mask, then look like a real goober at pinball but at least I won't risk getting everyone sick via germs on the flipper buttons. Hopefully they understand that I'm just being courteous in the Japanese style.

Anyway, about Hyper light Drifter: Does anyone know if there's a prize for getting 100 chain dashes in the training room next to where you buy the upgrade? I got the trophy and topped out at 84, but the bar in the middle looks like it will fill at 100 and I'd like to know what happens when it does.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

I don't understand why the genre with the most complicated unnecessary bullshit mechanics ever coupled with the worst gaming community in history has produced the most popular and successful games in decades

I really don't get mobas at all, either. Really the only aspect of the genre that appeals to me is that you get to level up and equip a character over the course of a match instead of over the course of weeks. If someone made a game that was basically Diablo, but with like 30-45 minute long, self-contained dungeon runs where you start at level 1 each time, level up quickly and have limited equipment slots, all of that "moba" stuff except it's a Diablo clone instead with co-op PvE instead of being competitive PvP? I think I'd play it.

Absolutely nothing else about the genre makes sense to me as a thing that I would willingly subject myself to. The mechanics are obtuse (though Blizzard's moba tries to simplify a lot), the gameplay is slow in all the ways I don't want it to be and fast in all the ways I don't want it to be (why don't you just lane forever but also die in seconds if you get ganked?), and nothing could be more boring to me than endless multiplayer matches on the same drat map.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

In Training posted:

character progression starts and ends generally within an hour and its highly competitive, so it feeds the "likes to watch numbers get bigger" part of the brain while providing an arena to showcase knowledge and skill

it also makes people Very Mad and its sad that the largest genre community is also the worst

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Harrow posted:

I really don't get mobas at all, either. Really the only aspect of the genre that appeals to me is that you get to level up and equip a character over the course of a match instead of over the course of weeks. If someone made a game that was basically Diablo, but with like 30-45 minute long, self-contained dungeon runs where you start at level 1 each time, level up quickly and have limited equipment slots, all of that "moba" stuff except it's a Diablo clone instead with co-op PvE instead of being competitive PvP? I think I'd play it.

let me tell you about nuclear throne...

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'll probably stick it out until after lunch, swing by a drugstore for more meds and a coughing mask, then look like a real goober at pinball but at least I won't risk getting everyone sick via germs on the flipper buttons. Hopefully they understand that I'm just being courteous in the Japanese style.

I wish this would catch on more to be honest, from a health standpoint its extremely courteous to others and its not like masks are expensive: https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-earloop-style-face-mask/ID=prod6172909-product

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

Anyway, about Hyper light Drifter: Does anyone know if there's a prize for getting 100 chain dashes in the training room next to where you buy the upgrade? I got the trophy and topped out at 84, but the bar in the middle looks like it will fill at 100 and I'd like to know what happens when it does.

For 100 dashes, you get one of those little yellow bits that add up to your upgrade currency (so 1/4 of an upgrade). For loving 800 dashes you get an outfit that doubles your little stamina meter.

oddium posted:

let me tell you about nuclear throne...

Oh yeah, Nuclear Throne does indeed own. I should go back and play it some more. I was thinking more explicitly Diablo with a bunch of fantasy classes and abilities but you're right, Nuclear Throne is basically exactly what I'm looking for, just without the co-op.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Because I don't play mobas, I dont really care how many they develop and release or how popular they are, I'm like outside the circle of interest on this. The only moba information I find interesting is when some new superexpensive moba fails while breaking another record for how short-lived a game can be and it's always amusing to read about that. Like when Infinite Crisis with the entire DC Universe brand power behind it was closed down after less than 6 months.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

Absolutely nothing else about the genre makes sense to me as a thing that I would willingly subject myself to. The mechanics are obtuse (though Blizzard's moba tries to simplify a lot), the gameplay is slow in all the ways I don't want it to be and fast in all the ways I don't want it to be (why don't you just lane forever but also die in seconds if you get ganked?), and nothing could be more boring to me than endless multiplayer matches on the same drat map.

Actually now that you mention it there's got to be an ARPG+Roguelike clone by now right? I'd be kinda into that too especially if the number values ramped like they do in an 80 hour game in 30 minutes (like you pick up one piece of gear and your DPS jumps from 30 to 4000 etc)

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

In Training posted:

Its some hosed up rule that if a game is complicated it drives people away, but if its really complicated then people wanna figure it out or something.

Harrow posted:

Its like an easier to play version of the notably dead RTS genre except there are always a bunch of noobs loving up my game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Palpek posted:

Because I don't play mobas, I dont really care how many they develop and release or how popular they are, I'm like outside the circle of interest on this. The only moba information I find interesting is when some new superexpensive moba fails while breaking another record for how short-lived a game can be and it's always amusing to read about that. Like when Infinite Crisis with the entire DC Universe brand power behind it was closed down after less than 6 months.

The fact that a King of Fighters MOBA exists is fascinating. The only one I ever wanted to play

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

In Training posted:

The fact that a King of Fighters MOBA exists is fascinating. The only one I ever wanted to play

haha what

e: omfg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0su_Tzp31U

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I think next year someone will come up with a VR app that will let you watch replays or live MOBA battles through a VR headset and allow you to control time, angle, zoom, and maybe even picture-in-picture so you can follow more than one character at a time, all while being able to provide you with additional information above the field of play or with different types of overlays. Watching the matches now is a little disorienting if you're not very familiar with the game, but if you could see all the action from above as well as lean in for a closer look or otherwise manipulate the playback it would take the experience to another level.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of Hyper Light Drifter and its challenge rewards, I really don't like how they're handled. The vast majority of them are things you're only going to get after finishing the game (or right when you're about to). And you'd think New Game+ would let you play around with the outfits you unlocked in your previous run, give you the whole game to play with them and all your cool upgrades, but nope. You're locked into wearing a black cape that reduces your health to 2 blocks instead of 5. Can't change capes. It's kind of a bummer.

They should've just made New Game+ give you that reduced health by default (if it's really that critical to what NG+ experience they wanted) but let you wear any cape you want. Maybe just don't have a cape that also gives you an extra health block (which they do) or I'm sure everyone would just wear that for the whole NG+. Having 3 health would be enough to let you avoid ever being one-shot if you always heal after you get hit, but with 2 health, some attacks can always one-shot you.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

My job doesn't give a poo poo and it comes down to getting fired or getting everyone else sick. My city thankfully forces mandatory sick time of 1 hour of paid sick time added on every week.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

Actually now that you mention it there's got to be an ARPG+Roguelike clone by now right? I'd be kinda into that too especially if the number values ramped like they do in an 80 hour game in 30 minutes (like you pick up one piece of gear and your DPS jumps from 30 to 4000 etc)

I actually am really surprised that nothing like that exists that I can find. The closest thing I can think of is loving Battleborn, of all games, because it has co-op PvE missions where you have MOBA-style progression in each mission just like the competitive multiplayer. I was actually excited for the game for exactly that element, I didn't care about the competitive multiplayer at all, but I never ended up buying it.

Just give me "literally Diablo 3 only you're in a 45-minute roguelike dungeon and level from 1 to 25 or something by the end" and I'm in. Maybe have fewer equipment slots and condense your ability unlocks so that you're not constantly loving around with your equipment in menus. Like weapon, armor, two accessories or something.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

There must be more to successful mobas than just the fact that they're complex and Blizzard's moba being easier and still being the third most popular one proves it. Otherwise a known brand and money investment would be enough to make a new moba popular and it has been shown time and time again with big failed moba titles that it's not that easy. It's most likely about balance and mechanics that make a good moba truly competitive but I have no idea about the genre outside of the overall concept.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is there a procedurally generated moba

e: with crafting

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Palpek posted:

There must be more to successful mobas than just the fact that they're complex and Blizzard's moba being easier and still being the third most popular one proves it. Otherwise a known brand and money investment would be enough to make a new moba popular and it has been shown time and time again with big failed moba titles that it's not that easy. It's most likely about balance and mechanics that make a good moba truly competitive but I have no idea about the genre outside of the overall concept.

I still don't understand what it is that is making MOBA's successful in the first place. What do people love about them? I don't understand League of Legends and its appeal. How is something so complex and with such a steep learning curve so popular?

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
SUPERHOT VR is the poo poo, yo! Just, uh, make sure you have some height clearance as well.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Palpek posted:

i think heroes success stems more from "its a blizzard game where different blizzard IPs interact and fight". like it could have been a fighting game with mechanics and combos simpler than mortal kombat and it'd still be massively popular, i don't think the genre has much to do with it

I said come in! posted:

I still don't understand what it is that is making MOBA's successful in the first place. What do people love about them? I don't understand League of Legends and its appeal. How is something so complex and with such a steep learning curve so popular?

challenging competition is what drew me to waste a good portion of my life playing a bunch of mobas. leaderboards for MMR / ranked ladders / etc, within that microcosm of ~1 hour matches, so if a game goes poorly i can just try again in a new match

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I played League for hundreds of hours during college and gained nothing. Don't be like me. Instead play fun multiplayer games like Overwatch and Rainbow Six.

On the other hand by the end of next month I should be done with my Steam backlog, which means I'm going to start my PS3 and Wii U backlog next.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

I said come in! posted:

Good mix of skill based and knowledge based checks in the gameplay. I play dota which also happens to have extremely slick art and general presentation which helps too.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

e: with crafting

Mobas already have crafting :v:

e: When I play mobas, it is because I like having people in a call with me to shoot the poo poo with for the next 30-40 minutes while we play a silly game as our fave characters and have fun trying to kill the enemy or failing to do so

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Anyway, apparently Rogue One is cool, maybe I'll go see it this weekend (no spoilers please).

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
You know what was awesome? The dude in wind waker who taught you sword fighting. At first he just gives you the basics of how to fight but you go back to him occasionally over the course of the game and every time the battles get more tense and exciting and he starts giving you knight's crests because he respects your warrior spirit and drive. Then you finally beat him for the last time and it feels like your relationship with him is super strong despite him being mostly a training bag.

Zelda is good guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

boy are my arms tired posted:

i think heroes success stems more from "its a blizzard game where different blizzard IPs interact and fight". like it could have been a fighting game with mechanics and combos simpler than mortal kombat and it'd still be massively popular, i don't think the genre has much to do with it

challenging competition is what drew me to waste a good portion of my life playing a bunch of mobas. leaderboards for MMR / ranked ladders / etc, within that microcosm of ~1 hour matches, so if a game goes poorly i can just try again in a new match

I do that with fighting games where the matches last 60 seconds instead of an hour

• Locked thread