Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Cingulate posted:

Your lack of empathy is just a (very common) moral failing on your part. The actual problem is not that, but that you're being stupid, see e.g. misjudging who's in charge and who's in need of sympathy.

Physician, heal thyself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Cingulate please stop pretending you know anything about American politics, it's just sad at this point.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'm Canadian you dumb motherfucker.

Also almost all the papers coming out of China right now are bunk, they are in no way a science suoerpower.
Sorry, you guys all kind of blend together for me. "Ichabod Sexbeast", "Improbable Lobster", "InediblePenguin" ... It's not that it makes a difference. Although I heard climate change and rising oil prices are good for Canada, so maybe you will benefit from the current situation?

I am sure you are in principle capable of grasping the difference between a process and a state, otherwise you wouldn't be able to understand English even to the limited extent you seemingly do, but here, phrased a bit differently while preserving meaning: Chinese science is catching up. They used to be not good. They will probably be very good in the future.

It's really telling that Cingulate thinks Chinese scientists are producing racist studies, that China is the biggest science super power, that there might be some truth to scientific racism and that Donald Trump supporters are cool and it's everyone elses fault that a neo-nazi was elected in the states.
Telling of what? Have you decoded my crypto-fascism and discovered I am a secret Trump supporter? Or just that I'm stupid?

Who What Now posted:

Cingulate please stop pretending you know anything about American politics, it's just sad at this point.
What's sad is when I reply to this thread and have to see one of your posts :(

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Cingulate posted:

Or just that I'm stupid?

It's this one.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm Canadian you dumb motherfucker.

Also almost all the papers coming out of China right now are bunk, they are in no way a science suoerpower.

A Chinese researcher working entirely within Chinese labs won the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 2015, what other milestones are needed before their researchers are legitimate? (This is a serious question not rhetorical sarcasm.)

Cingulate posted:

I'd be absolutely unsurprised if Chinese researchers were producing the most racist stuff. In fact, if I were allowed only one guess, I'd predict internal Chinese research is probably on average more racist than mainstream research.

I don't doubt that but it's also not what I'm saying.

Cingulate posted:

A point I've made here before: for all I can tell, the science on "human biodiversity" is, at least on the core issues of contention, unequivocally undecided. There is currently no clear answer to be had from science. Anything else, from whatever party, is wishful thinking.

Okay sure but that's also not what I'm saying. There's a big difference between "how do we even measure intelligence and what does biology have to do with whatever the hell intelligence is" and "genetics makes [what Americans arbitrarily consider to be ethnically] black people lazy criminals but the pc police suppress the truth because it's unpleasant"

Cingulate posted:

I mean, the most important climate science isn't really replicated - it's just, again and again, validated.

I'd say it's replicated in addition to being validated - a second weather satellite with similar sensors confirms the findings of the first, another team's ice cores are checked against earlier cores for consistency, etc. I guess it's not exactly formal replication in that the exact same experiment isn't being run again but it's "replicated" in the same way that the LHC's finding of the higgs boson was replicated by linear accelerators looking in the same energy region - two different experiments examining the same specific variable and confirming the data. I guess I'd say the difference between that and validation is validation is a different experiment measuring a different thing leading to conclusions that agree with the first's conclusions.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ate all the Oreos posted:

A Chinese researcher working entirely within Chinese labs won the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 2015, what other milestones are needed before their researchers are legitimate? (This is a serious question not rhetorical sarcasm.)

I'm probably a few years out of date then. Last time I had checked the majority of research coming out of China wasn't making it past the peer review stage after leaving China.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I'm probably a few years out of date then. Last time I had checked the majority of research coming out of China wasn't making it past the peer review stage after leaving China.

The two observations are not contradictory. There's a lot of research in China. As a whole, it's also my impression it's of a quality far below Western standards - traditionally, Chinese people made great science, but they did that in Princeton and Stanford, not Bejing. But increasingly, there is top level science being conducted in the mainland. I think I've already mentioned Baidu, who're not quite the AI beast Google is yet, but really catching up quickly.

Cf. Sam Hyde being afraid China will develop AI first and take over the world.

Okay sure but that's also not what I'm saying. There's a big difference between "how do we even measure intelligence and what does biology have to do with whatever the hell intelligence is" and "genetics makes [what Americans arbitrarily consider to be ethnically] black people lazy criminals but the pc police suppress the truth because it's unpleasant"
Okay man then I don't get it :D
There's something wrong with my way of thinking that makes me incapable of getting this point of yours. w/e

I'd say it's replicated in addition to being validated - a second weather satellite with similar sensors confirms the findings of the first, another team's ice cores are checked against earlier cores for consistency, etc. I guess it's not exactly formal replication in that the exact same experiment isn't being run again but it's "replicated" in the same way that the LHC's finding of the higgs boson was replicated by linear accelerators looking in the same energy region - two different experiments examining the same specific variable and confirming the data. I guess I'd say the difference between that and validation is validation is a different experiment measuring a different thing leading to conclusions that agree with the first's conclusions.
Well the term I'd use then is the broader concept of corroboration, not replication, which I think is probably a term best reserved for strict experimental replication. But that's just terminology.
However, it becomes important in a "culture war" context of course, when people attack evolution or climate science, so maybe it's best to be really anal about terminology here.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Cingulate posted:

There's something wrong with my way of thinking that makes me incapable of getting this point of yours. w/e
You don't see the difference between:

"We are not sure of the exact relationship between genetic causes and intelligence, or even what intelligence is"

and

"So-called 'peer-reviewed science' is dishonestly covering up evidence that white people are smarter than black people, in order to further liberal causes"?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cingulate posted:

pookel posted:

"We are not sure of the exact relationship between genetic causes and intelligence, or even what intelligence is"

and

"So-called 'peer-reviewed science' is dishonestly covering up evidence that white people are smarter than black people, in order to further liberal causes"?

Yeah I think what you're doing is trying to approach it purely scientifically, which is totally valid and I agree with your conclusions, but I'm trying to approach it in a practical "clearly the idea that western science is covering up the truth is nonsense" way

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah I think what you're doing is trying to approach it purely scientifically, which is totally valid and I agree with your conclusions, but I'm trying to approach it in a practical "clearly the idea that western science is covering up the truth is nonsense" way
No, clearly the idea that western science is (intentionally) covering up the truth (on basically anything) is nonsense - that one should be given.

I'm just saying, I don't see what role non-Western science plays in your particular argument for that here. I thought I recognized the general form of the argument, but it seems I don't.

pookel posted:

and

I don't really see any commonalities between the two.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Eventually that pig is gonna give up and give you the belt

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Cingulate, why have you consistently defended the idea that race "probably" plays into intelligence throughout the entire time that you've posted in this thread?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Note that there is literally no rational reason to defend the idea as we have no idea how to accurately and consistently measure IQ and the idea of "racial IQ" is 100% the domain of racist hate groups.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Note that there is literally no rational reason to defend the idea as we have no idea how to accurately and consistently measure IQ and the idea of "racial IQ" is 100% the domain of racist hate groups.

Well Donald Trump is the President Elect, so we need to learn to beg and grovel before racist hate groups apparently.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I used to think Cingulate was a well-meaning individual using pedantry to make things less echo-chambery. I know think he's simply a bad person, and put him on ignore. It has increased my quality of life. He's like tl;dr, only with fewer MRA talking points.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Cingulate posted:

No, clearly the idea that western science is (intentionally) covering up the truth (on basically anything) is nonsense - that one should be given.

I'm just saying, I don't see what role non-Western science plays in your particular argument for that here. I thought I recognized the general form of the argument, but it seems I don't.

I don't really see any commonalities between the two.
If western science were systematically covering up the truth for reasons of political bias, then presumably non-western science (which brings different political biases to the table) would produce demonstrably different results, and it hasn't.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cingulate, why have you consistently defended the idea that race "probably" plays into intelligence throughout the entire time that you've posted in this thread?
I've literally never said that. I've said:

Cingulate posted:

There is currently no clear answer to be had from science. Anything else, from whatever party, is wishful thinking.

Note that there is literally no rational reason to defend the idea as we have no idea how to accurately and consistently measure IQ
We measure IQ with IQ tests.
The idea I'm defending is of admitting ignorance when there is ignorance. Overconfidence is bad. See: Trump being your president-elect.

Never heard of that term. Did you make it up?

pookel posted:

If western science were systematically covering up the truth for reasons of political bias, then presumably non-western science (which brings different political biases to the table) would produce demonstrably different results, and it hasn't.
So what's the non-western results?
Generally, I'm pretty sure the alt right will not be convinced by an argument that relies on the competence of non-western scientists to prove stuff, as the general incompetence of non-westeners is a big point in that camp.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I used to think Cingulate was a well-meaning individual using pedantry to make things less echo-chambery. I know think he's simply a bad person, and put him on ignore. It has increased my quality of life. He's like tl;dr, only with fewer MRA talking points.
Well I'm clearly not successfully making things less echo-chambery in here, but I applaud the rational action of putting people who decrease your quality of life on ignore.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
IQ tests don't reliably measure poo poo because they're biased as gently caress you stupid rear end in a top hat

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

IQ tests don't reliably measure poo poo because they're biased as gently caress you stupid rear end in a top hat

He's being pedantic; It measures IQ, which is what he said. He's fully aware that whatever the hell "IQ" is is biased as gently caress

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
please stop responding to Dark Enlightenment Stymie under any circumstances

I did and sincerely regret doing so

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

He's being pedantic; It measures IQ, which is what he said. He's fully aware that whatever the hell "IQ" is is biased as gently caress

he's a stupid fuckin rear end in a top hat is what you're saying

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Look at that pig. He's loving it!

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

As someone who has a history of crushing IQ tests (and yet has been crushed by addiction and poverty), I'm inclined to scoff at the usefulness of measuring IQ.

That said, I am unaware of any useful metric for defining "broad capability" or "general aptitude" or "probability of achieving happiness"

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Put Cingulate on ignore if you really can't exercise the self-restraint to ignore him without technological assistance, you loving idiots.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

We need to show sympathy and understanding and kindness to that person, because that is almost definitely Mr. Mean-Spirited and nothing will piss him off more

This is a true and good point

but showing sympathy and kindness isn't the same as trying to logically reason with them in a way that shows respect for their belief system, which is clearly what that one jackass everybody ought to have on ignore already seems to think we need to do

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i can always count on the Sweet Liberal Tears thread for my daily dose of :lol:

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm not just talking about a couple of fat rednecks. I think installing Clinton as our president now might result in a military coup. Not from the Generals and Defense Contractors, but a lot of rank and file military, FBI and cops loving hate Hillary Clinton.

By and large, the people who have and know how to use guns in this country vote Republican.

I live down south and black people make up like a third of the people I see, work with and hang out with every day

That whole Voter ID thing is pretty loving baffling because loving everybody I know has a driver's license. I know a whopping 1 adult black male with no driver's license, and that's because he's a basement dweller who lives with his mom and plays xbox \ watches anime all day, not because he's black

Ignorant white liberals insinuating that blacks can't drive cars, don't know where the DMV is and don't have the Internet so they can't find it is patronizing as gently caress and it really kinda makes me sick

After the election, I said I was going to change my voter registration from "Democrat" to "Unaffiliated" after how disgusted I was with the Democratic party, but I hadn't done it yet because I gotta mail away to do it. Maybe I should get on that like... now.

i keep meaning to unsub from that thread because i can only take so much :smug:, but then i reneg

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Race Realists posted:

i can always count on the Sweet Liberal Tears thread for my daily dose of :lol:

i keep meaning to unsub from that thread because i can only take so much :smug:, but then i reneg

What is this and why should I care

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

IQ is measured with IQ tests, the question is if IQ is anything beyond "how good are you at solving IQ tests (possibly because you come/don't come from a family background where you've learned the value of sitting still for a while and solving a series of arbitrary seeming puzzles)".
Do you think what's happening here is anything but a willful distortion of what I'm actually saying?

The_Book_Of_Harry posted:

As someone who has a history of crushing IQ tests (and yet has been crushed by addiction and poverty), I'm inclined to scoff at the usefulness of measuring IQ.

That said, I am unaware of any useful metric for defining "broad capability" or "general aptitude" or "probability of achieving happiness"
IQ correlates reasonably well with any of these, in whatever way you wish to operationalize them. Compared to other stuff psychologists like to write stories about, like, uh ... stereotype threat, it's a pretty decent predictor. Most of my coworkers would be drat happy if whatever they are researching correlated as well with their variables of interest as IQ does with "general aptitude".
Of course, "correlates reasonably well" leaves open a lot of room for tens of millions of people who're great at IQ tests and terrible at life, and the other way around. This is a "my grandpa smoked two packs a day and lived to 101" thing (only, haha, RA Fischer is on the other side of this issue).

None of this is at all controversial. It's all near tautological, or incredibly well established with hundreds of replications.

Who What Now posted:

Man now I feel a bit like looking up your pre-Nov 8th posts in USPol. That thread was full of people who were pretty out of touch with American politics wouldn't you say? "All about the down-ballot"

Now divabot is distraught again :( Ok I'm shutting up.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The difference cingulate is that you're just loving stupid

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The difference cingulate is that you're just loving stupid

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Did you seriously go back and reply to a post you had already replied to just for the sake of such a tepid burn? :allears:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Honestly, I just wish the DE would stop coming from inside the thread.

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe
Is cingulate a gimmick account Scott Alexander uses to post here?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ikanreed posted:

Honestly, I just wish the DE would stop coming from inside the thread.

It'd help if the same handful of people didn't keep falling over themselves to post endless variations of "gently caress off", which clearly aren't going to be listened to.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Put Cingulate on ignore if you really can't exercise the self-restraint to ignore him without technological assistance, you loving idiots.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

poptart_fairy posted:

It'd help if the same handful of people didn't keep falling over themselves to post endless variations of "gently caress off", which clearly aren't going to be listened to.
Is that a Milo avatar!?
IIRC he was hoping for Trump to destroy the US. I wonder how he secretly feels about the Bush 3.0 Trump is currently mutating into.

Nancy_Noxious posted:

Is cingulate a gimmick account Scott Alexander uses to post here?
Scott is much nicer than me, and writes better. Also, I actually know a little bit about actual AI.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Popular culture press, being desperate for content of any sort, is pathetically trivial to troll. Enter Buzzfeed with "fashwave", a generic alt-right troll I'm now seeing repeated across the whole loving music press.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Cingulate I get that you're trying to introduce more empathy and nuance into the situation, but 1) you are so bad at expressing yourself that it's making the opposite happen and 2) "let's make fun of these people who are too far gone to be reached" isn't the appropriate venue for it.

Just stop, man. You are not competent to achieve this goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

poptart_fairy posted:

I'd be honestly surprised if he wasn't getting some sort of sad satisfaction about constantly being told to gently caress off.