Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
https://www.reddit.com/r/TwoXChromosomes/comments/5ia1v7/support_i_found_out_yesterday_that_my_fiance_and/

quote:

Throwaway for obvious reasons.
I don't know what to do. I'm terrified. Even writing this has sent me into a panic attack and I've needed to take two xanaxes to get through it.
But here we go.
I've been with my amazing fiance for two years now. We met through a tabletop roleplay group and had an instant connection. There was chemistry between both us and our characters and, as the campaign came to a close, he asked me out.
It was a big deal for both of us. We're both nerds -- as you can tell -- and our social circles are pretty small. Both of us have trouble getting out there and socializing. We're more the type to keep our heads down. It was only my second serious relationship and his first. After a year of dating, we got engaged. We finally moved in with one another a month ago and our wedding is in six weeks. Beyond the normal little domestic naggings, things have been perfect. He's my soulmate. I don't know what I'd do without him.
Our families are both really small. My father was never involved in my life and never was his family. I was raised by a single mother and her parents. It was dysfunctional; but not as bad as it could have been. No one got molested or anything. There was just a lot of fighting on top of the absentee dad stuff.
My fiance's family was the complete opposite. They're pretty much perfect. His mom and dad are great and the most giving people I know. His sister has become one of my dearest friends. They even sit down with eachother for Sunday dinners. Who does that? I've always been in awe of them.
I always thought they were perfect, so it came as a shock to me that - while working on wedding invitations - my future MIL mentioned that my fiance's dad is actually his stepdad. I asked to see a picture of his real dad and I nearly passed out when my MIL showed my a pic of my dad.
I don't know how I kept from screaming and stayed conscious. I excused myself from the room and promptly threw up. I'm pretty sure she thinks I'm pregnant now; which is just a whole other can of worms unleashed.
I got home and confronted my fiance about it. I was crying. I was screaming. He just sat there, fidgeting. Eventually, he admitted that he's known for a year but didn't want to lose me. Since we always planned to be childfree, he didn't see the problem with just keeping it from me.
I'm betrayed. I'm disgusted. I'm hurt. I'm ashamed. I'm heartbroken. I don't know what to do. I've invested so much money into this wedding and much of it is non-refundable. On top of that, I don't know how I'm going to explain this to my family and friends. Worse yet, I love him. I know we can't be together; but until yesterday, I thought we'd grow old together.
What do I do? What the gently caress do I do?
tl;dr: Met and got engaged to fellow nerd. Turns out we accidentally pulled a Lannister. I'm in the midst of a nervous breakdown. My life is ruined and my heart is broken.
EDIT: This is blowing up and, quite frankly, it has me real nervous. But you all have been so kind with your advice. I felt you deserved an update.
For one, my fiance (let's call him Jaime) stayed at his parents' last night. They have no clue what's going on. I think he may have just told him I'm on my period and need some space -- which sounds dramatic, but if you'd ever met me while I'm PMSing, you'd understand.
I'm still not sure what to do. I have some many conflicting emotions. Just when I feel like I'm starting to come to some sort of epiphany, it's like someone drops a boulder on my head. I'm being crushed under this weight and I don't know if I'll ever manage to crawl out from under it. I still can't believe this is real. I keep hoping he'll call me and tell me it's a joke.
As a side note -- I gotta say. The majority of you seem to be totally cool with the idea of brother-sister incest. I know the internet is kind of a depraved place; but I wasn't expecting that AT ALL. Unfortunately, I don't think that same attitude would be mirrored in the offline world. And, even if it was, I'm not sure I can go through life as the girl who hosed and married her brother.
I'm just very conflicted and torn right now. I'm going to lay down for a nap since I've been up well over twenty-four hours at this point. When I wake up, I may give my bio!dad a call for the first time in ten years. We need to talk.
EDIT 2: I still have yet to take that nap. I've been trying to keep up with the responses and reply to people; but this has officially become way too big. I'm going to take another shot at getting some sleep and, when I get it, I'll call my bio!dad and figure out what I want to do. I may end up deleting this thread, though. This is really too much. You guys are amazing and so incredibly kind; but I never expected it to get this big. I'm also so tired that I'm bordering on becoming delirious. need rest. now. Zzzz -_-
QUICK EDIT:
NEVER TAKE ADVICE FROM REDDIT.

I learned that today. I'll update as soon as things calm down here.
EDIT 3: WELP. Things kind of suck worse than ever. Because the vast majority of you were so supportive, we decided to tell his mom and stepdad. It went horribly. They disowned him and cut him off; which is a huge loving problem since they were paying for a portion of our apartment.
The way they reacted was just a taste of how we feel others will respond, so we've decided to break up. However, before we cancel our wedding plans outright, we are going to speak to our father and take a DNA test. Thank you to everyone for their support and kindness ... I just wish things had had a more positive end. This entire situation is just hosed.
I need another nap.

BWM: Telling your fiance's family, who have been financially supporting you and your lifestyle, that you're brother and sister.
BWM: Spending $$$ on a wedding when you can't even pay for rent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Perhaps the Lannisters need to send their regards. :chef:

lol at the couple thinking "reddit said it was ok for me to marry my brother so everyone will be accepting :downs:"

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I was going ' This sounds like bad luck and/or scumminess on the BF's part, not BWM.' And then I got to edits and oh nooooooooo...

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Suspicious Lump posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TwoXChromosomes/comments/5ia1v7/support_i_found_out_yesterday_that_my_fiance_and/

BWM: Telling your fiance's family, who have been financially supporting you and your lifestyle, that you're brother and sister.

I mean it's fake but I enjoyed it anyway.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Well that's a thing. I was just going to post about someone being able to make The Diamond Age by Neal Stevenson a thing with this talk of illustrated children's books, but I guess that works too.

Diamond Age though, linking a prototype thing to infinite money might not be optimal. I do wonder about the capitalization of fictional megacorps though, the founder run ones presumably have voting rights concentrated there, but I assume that management in anything without a controlling shareholder present would have limited incentives to provide returns to non-controlling shareholders.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure why his family was so upset. They're not losing a son, they're gaining a daughter.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5ihda1/loans_off_craigslist/

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

That is definitely just the plot of an old House episode.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

ego symphonic posted:

That is definitely just the plot of an old House episode.

I don't remember Dr House needing any shady loans of CL. Did his addiction really get that bad???

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Just when you think people can't get any dumber, here we are.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm not sure why his family was so upset. They're not losing a son, they're gaining a daughter.

Hahaha

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Real estate agent wants to borrow $95k that you've earmarked for your down payment? Sounds great!

quote:

In March 2015, Fulciniti approached Chaim Smilovici — who also goes by the name Howard Smilovici, and was a real estate agent with Adenat Realty at the time — to find a tenant who would help cover the costs of the condo she was buying.

Fulciniti had put a down a $42,000 down payment a year earlier.

Smilovici found her a tenant, but he also asked to borrow $95,000 she had earmarked to help close the condo deal when construction of the building was complete.

In June 2015, she signed a loan agreement with Smilovici through his company, Maximum Sports Management Group Inc. The contract stipulated she would be repaid in full with a $5,000 cash bonus and an annual 12 per cent return on the loan.

"I haven't seen a cent from this guy," said Fulciniti.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Barry posted:

Just when you think people can't get any dumber, here we are.

The best part is that someone helpfully directs the OP to two subreddits that offer loans.

Giving money to reddit user "thastoner" turned out to be a bad risk, but even more remarkably, that lender has lent 25 grand to reddit users in the past. I see that they usually use paypal disputes to get their money back when deals go south. I wonder why Paypal goes for that.

The Kestrel
Dec 16, 2013

Dogfish posted:

Real estate agent wants to borrow $95k that you've earmarked for your down payment? Sounds great!

I heard this story on the CBC. Apparently the guy's wife just paid her back $5000 , and the rest will come after a condo is closed. Of course, the loaner has since lost her down payment.

I guess she was just blinded by greed, as that loan seems pretty suspect. "Guaranteed" 18% after one year?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

DarkHorse posted:

My parents have been dealing with this over the past few years as my grandparents have been dying off, and my spouse's parents have been doing the same. Now that it's over with, my parents told me their gift to me and my siblings is an airtight will and trust, one of the conditions being that anyone that fights it in court loses all claims.

After seeing what they and my in-laws have gone through the past two years, I can honestly say it's one of the nicest gifts I've ever received.

Does this actually hold water, though? I read a little bit about the Doris Duke estate, which had this stipulation. She had a videotaped will, a doctor on that tape pronouncing her of sound mind and body, a statement that it would almost all go to person A and almost none to person B, and that anyone who sued over the will would DEFINITELY get nothing. Person B sued and won most of it.

It's more complicated than that, I know, but it still doesn't seem to be particularly helpful.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Trillian posted:

The best part is that someone helpfully directs the OP to two subreddits that offer loans.

Giving money to reddit user "thastoner" turned out to be a bad risk, but even more remarkably, that lender has lent 25 grand to reddit users in the past. I see that they usually use paypal disputes to get their money back when deals go south. I wonder why Paypal goes for that.

How the hell is this a thing, and why are so many people actually offering these loans?!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Wow.

Crazy Guy On Reddit posted:

TL;DR: Need loan for developing a app that will run on any pc or mac, need to upgrade antiquated hardware, buy a respectable amount of nano 6&7 s', and some other PIM based hardware.

Need about 850 to cover everything+a little breathing room+extended warranties.

Got some extra cash headed my way at the beginning of next year. Already have good payback history here.

More Details below:...

NOTE: *The window is slowly closing in on the low cost of some legacy hardware I need to purchase. I am going to include phased out equity in my loan repayment on top of interest stated. Amount will be negotiable.**

Also: Ignore the bot information. It is not up to date. I have a solid history here and can provide references on request.

I just want to clear up a few things right off the bat.

I do not lead on any romantic notions that this loan isn't a risk.

90% of the tech community uses PayPal.

I use /borrow to escape ALL the bureaucracy of traditional lenders.

Finally and most importantly; Not to be rude, disingenuous, snide, or curt but if you are not 100% comfortable with any of that PLEASE stop reading.

I also should have noted in my previous posts I have other additional forms of income that bring in miscellaneous small amounts of discretionary funds throughout the year. In addition to that I have 5 high value warranties (from previous development hardware costs) (diagnostic equipment, flagship smartphones, A/V racks etc) that have pro-rated rebate value.

At the early part of next year I will also be receiving additional income from research projects I've actively been engaged with as well.

I'm looking to raise extra money to cover some worth while year end development costs...

Loan covers hardware costs and property insurance.

Looking for a major long term investment of (about) $875.00 (Paypal), to be repaid plus interest BEFORE 6/29/17.

Interest and terms of loan are negotiable.

I have a lite day job that brings in a weekly income. 90% of that income goes to living expenses, transportation, food, utilities and meager creature comforts. I do own a vehicle at this time (in-case anyone is wondering).

I have a strong work ethic. I don't smoke or do drugs, my vices are small and un-interesting.

I'm in my 30's in excellent health and don't foresee any unexpected expenses in the future.

My future plans are sound and have been given careful thought.

I've included unforeseen transaction fees and current transfer fees in my loan request.

I have been a reddit user for well over a year and a half and have deep roots here.

I have 1 confirmed repayment with interest on time. (can supply reference if needed) As well as multiple positive feedback elsewhere.

Been a developer since 1998.

Some major clients include: Florida State University, ClieSource, Techdeals.net

Past projects I've been apart of:

Garfield (1999) (Personal use for Trillian forum)

Graphical js encrypted email link trigger. Primary developer.

Raindrop (Mozilla Labs) (2010)

Code hardening & User Support.

F1 (Mozilla Labs) (2012)

Twitter feed fault integration & User support.

2 Active flex tweaks (2014)

(will discuss)

DoNotPhase (2014)

Conception. Testing. Some forum support.

...... And many many active projects in development or archived which all will be put on the back burner if i secure this loan.

I'm looking for a long term investment for a lucrative ad based project that is going to use existing exploits from Nan0Hail & bits and pieces of code from other open source projects such as Azureus, and parts of a open cross platform JVM container.

The goal is essentially to create a windows/mac cross platform app that will bring AvantGo (PDA) style features to the iPod Nano 5,6,7 & latest "8th" gen iPod Nanos. The app will be similar to iMazing and work on iPhones as well but primarily be focused on expanding the Nanos' features.

I can provide bi-weekly updates on the status of the project, clicksense projections after public deployment and exclusive access to some administrative tools.

Core parts of the application will remain open source. (not negotiable!)

Further parts of the project will focus on bringing things like voice gateway access over bluetooth(nano 7 only) which would allow users to use the nano as a bluetooth headset and city level GPS to the nano using the FM receiver. I can discuss this in more detail with any interested parties.

I primarily work alone. I've made the mistake of taking on partners in the past but i'm not apposed to slapping away any help.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'd be happy to discuss the venture in detail with interested lenders.

Thank you for any considerations. I look forward to speaking with you. And thanks for reading!

Reddit User: S___H

Confirmed Payments: 1 (on time w/interest)

Outstanding loans on /borrow: 0

Outstanding loans elsewhere: 0

Current Expendable liquidity (as of 12/8/16): <300.00$

Swappa: (RJB355)

Other references available on request.

Post script:

Some other ideas for future development include:

Take text notes.

The included voice memo engine is great but not practical when you don't want to disturb loved ones in close proximity or want to take sensitive personal notes.

RDS data stream harnessing

Text+ data for weather and EMA's could be funneled into weather or other apps. All without any data charges.

Auto turn on and flash screen for important emergency alerts.

A simple polling of the FM radio could be setup to turn on every 2-3 hours to check for emergency alerts and if it detects one the screen could flash and the radio can be set to stay on.

Auto turn off when accelerometer stops.

The nano has a accelerometer in it. This could be tied into music output and stop the music and other things if it stops detecting movement. Saving battery life. Reverse could also be done for when movement starts back up again.

Further accessibility for blind and hard of hearing people.

More options can lead to better support for everything from new fonts to screen flashing or louder speaker volume.

Themes

Not just themes but opening up a entirely new market for themers to strut their stuff.

3RD party SDK's

A brand new era of cydiasubstrate could be made for the nano. Bringing in a new market similar to cydia.

Security

Passcodes could be setup for personal sections like media and explicit content. This can also be done using current exploits available in Nan0Hail

Theft deterrent

Full device security as well as self destruction of filesystems could be setup if the nano detects a unauthorized machine.

New cydia market!

A brand new market of apps and tweaks could be made just for the nano opening a brand new era of commerce revitalizing the jailbreak community as well.

What an opportunity!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

Does this actually hold water, though? I read a little bit about the Doris Duke estate, which had this stipulation. She had a videotaped will, a doctor on that tape pronouncing her of sound mind and body, a statement that it would almost all go to person A and almost none to person B, and that anyone who sued over the will would DEFINITELY get nothing. Person B sued and won most of it.

It's more complicated than that, I know, but it still doesn't seem to be particularly helpful.

Doris Duke changed her will shortly before her death and that's always going to raise eyebrows. Heck, even Duke University sued because they thought their share was too small. Sometimes too much evidence (videotape, doctor's statement) looks shadier than less.

It's much simpler when you've got a spouse or child. Duke had neither so it was much easier to contest.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Is that from multiple posts or does that guy just ramble on like a crazy person every time he asks for money?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

NancyPants posted:

Is that from multiple posts or does that guy just ramble on like a crazy person every time he asks for money?

That's just one post. He's put in multiple requests though, apparently even the credulous lenders of /r/borrow don't really buy into the idea of Reddit Equity.

https://www.reddit.com/user/S___H

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

Wow.

What an opportunity!

Link to this?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Volmarias posted:

No-contest clauses are enforceable to varying degrees; in a couple states they are flat out unenforceable and in others they are not enforceable if the will is contested for cause which can be broadly interpreted. Well-written trusts are airtight and there are furthermore overseas trusts that are virtually immune to US courts if you feel really threatened. Finally there is also something called living probate which can allow you to legally dispose of your estate prior to death in order to avoid probate conflicts after you die.

The Doris Duke estate was one of the most complicated estates ever contested, both due to the overall large and complicated structure of the estate and trust assets, the presence of multiple wills, and sordid allegations of impropriety, some of which were found to be true.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://www.reddit.com/r/borrow/comments/5ihv80/req_87500_usd_06292017_paypal_providence_ri/

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

136k in debt :lol: and hardly anything in retirement. how do these people give up free employer matching on pretax 401k contributions? loving insane

Depends on the employer policy. Mine for example only pays in their match at the end of the year, so if you don't plan on sticking around through the calendar year you aren't getting your match.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Liquid Communism posted:

Depends on the employer policy. Mine for example only pays in their match at the end of the year, so if you don't plan on sticking around through the calendar year you aren't getting your match.

Or vesting cliffs that are several years out.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Krispy Kareem posted:

Serious question, since it's been untouched for 20 years did the assets appreciate or is everything held in cash and slowly being eaten away by inflation?

I'm the executor, the assets are making income (real estate and investments)- it's a fairly complicated rollercoaster.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
Reminds me of some historical BWM!

If anyone here has read Bleak House by Dickens you may be aware that the fictional case in that book, Jarndyce v Jarndyce, is based on a couple of real life will probate cases. One of these is Jennens v Jennens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Jennens

quote:

He was described as the "richest commoner in England" when he died unmarried and intestate with a fortune estimated at £2 million,[1][2] worth in excess of £230 million at 2015 rates,[3] which became the subject of legal wrangles (Jennens vs Jennens) in the Court of Chancery for well over a century until the entire estate had been swallowed by lawyers' fees.

Over 100 years, holy poo poo.

quote:

William's uncle William Jennens, (15 November 1676), the youngest son of Humphrey Jennens and Mary Milford, was a British Army officer in the American Indian Wars. If he was the William Jennings who married Mary Jane Pulliam, then many Americans were coheirs. Litigation on behalf of the American descendants commenced around 1850 and every descendant of anybody named "Jennings" was solicited. The accumulation of funds for litigation was initiated in England, but his Virginia descendants contributed large sums and even unrelated individuals named "Jennings" sent money in the hope of sharing the inheritance.[10]

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
BWM story from my daily commute.

I work in downtown Toronto, and commute by train from downtown to the outer-suburbs. Last night it was snowy, but an otherwise normal evening on the train. Full house on the train since it's evening rush hour. Train doors close, and the train's leaving the station. Then a scruffy-looking guy walks up the aisle, stands next to me (just a coincidence), and loudly announces, "Hi everyone. I'm really sorry to bother you guys but I'm trying to get back home to Montreal. It's really snowy and stormy outside so we're in a real bind. I'm not gonna hassle you or give you no trouble, I just need enough money to get home."

Anyone who spends time in a big city and near a train station has heard this scam sob story before. I hear it daily on my way into the station, usually from the same guys working the crowds weekly. He got his sales pitch down pat.

Then... without thinking, the man sat next to me hands him a $10 bill. Then a lady nearby hands him a fistful of change (loonies and toonies). AND THEN, the scammer pulls out a wad of cash from his olive-green jacket pocket, and folds the "donations" into it.

But it gets better.

Despite displaying a wad full of cash, MORE PEOPLE ON THE TRAIN KEEP HANDING HIM MONEY. I counted about 12 people who just mindlessly handed this guy cash. And not small chump change, either. Bills. Big coins. And of course, the scammer's eyes kind of widened. As if he didn't expect this kind of result. But he keeps taking cash from hands that appear in every direction. He looked like Vishnu from that Simpsons episode, just taking money from every direction. And he didn't make any effort to show the usual, overdone "Oh God bless you. Thank you" gratitude. He just took his winnings, then quickly left to work the next car.

The best part? The train we were on goes nowhere near the general direction of Montreal. And it was leaving from a train station where there are Montreal-bound trains.

I... I can't even be mad at that scammer. Easiest money that anyone ever made. He's GWM, but I can't say the same for the commuters.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 16, 2016

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I once had a guy hit me with that line at a filling station with his car full of his wife and kids, woof. Hard not to be sympathetic when someone does that in front of their family.

Compassion is BWM.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I once had a guy hit me with that line at a filling station with his car full of his wife and kids, woof. Hard not to be sympathetic when someone does that in front of their family.

Compassion is BWM.

I've had this happen at a petrol station and offered to fill up the car instead of handing over cash. Offer was not-so-politely declined.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Fill out your BWM bingo cards! https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5iola4/graduating_university_preconstruction_condo/

quote:

Hi, I'm currently a fourth year university student (M. Finance, m. Econ) in Canada.

I will be going into the Air Force as a Pilot when I graduate and will be making $3,235.75 CAD after taxes per month (this is the absolute minimum, 2Lt. starting salary), my mean salary over the next ten years will be approximately $4,953.27 after taxes.

I'm not a very lavish spender and I will have minimum livings costs in the Air Force. I will not be purchasing a car, and living costs will be mostly covered.

I am planning on investing in a pre-construction condo in Toronto and renting it out.

Assuming an asking price of $450,000 (overestimate), a 10 year mortgage at 3% fixed, and a 25% down payment of $112,500 (dad is willing to pay), this leads to an estimated mortgage payment of $3,256 per month once the condo is built.

Assuming rent of $2000/month (underestimate), real estate taxes at .705% - $3172.5/year + a further deduction of $2500 per year to account for loss of rent / maintenance -
This leads to out of pocket expenses of $1728.70/month.

Toronto real estate prices appreciated by 14.59% last year. Assuming an average appreciation rate of 7%, in 10 years the property will be paid off and will be worth anywhere from $800,000 - $1,100,000. At this time I should be making $100,000 before taxes.

This investment would leave me with $1,507.05 disposable income per month (which would obviously go up as my salary increases).

Is this a good plan or am I going too "all-in" on one investment. I realize it would be smarter to invest in something cheaper, but I am putting this out there to see how plausible a higher property investment is.

All costs have been overestimated, and returns underestimated.

I also swing trade Forex and have made a substantial return in the past year, so my job would also potentially not be my sole source of income.

Thanks!

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Somebody should tell him about the wonderful world of binary options.

Also, I'm still collecting emails for BWM bingo. I haven't forgotten! I've only received 8 emails, and was thinking about getting 25 and sending them all out at once. If anyone is interested, sa.moneyball@gmail.com

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
There was a beggar with a peg leg at the corner a couple of weeks ago. People were missing their turn lights they were so anxious to give him money.

If that guy had an one legged dog also he would have been BWM (Best With Money).

"Oh hay, I'm in the military and all my housing costs are paid for! What's that? An investment property!"

He's in the Air Force, but he's about to have a property that's more Navy. underwater

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Neon Belly posted:

I've had this happen at a petrol station and offered to fill up the car instead of handing over cash. Offer was not-so-politely declined.

I helped a dude out and gassed up his car so he could make it to Dallas from San Antonio or whatever. The fun part was as he drove off I spied a puddle of transmission fluid so big I doubt he'd make it even 1/5th of the way there.

Barry posted:

:words: Air Force

Any and all plans will be derailed by dependopotami.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 16, 2016

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Suspicious Lump posted:

Wanna be Lannisters who ain't got no gold.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

There was a beggar with a peg leg at the corner a couple of weeks ago. People were missing their turn lights they were so anxious to give him money.

Eh even if he was just gonna go off and buy drugs and booze with it whatever, dude's got no leg :(

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ate all the Oreos posted:

Eh even if he was just gonna go off and buy drugs and booze with it whatever, dude's got no leg :(

I have a friend with one leg who works in prosthetics sales and makes probably 3x what I do. He lost his leg after being struck by a car in Mexico 15 years ago, and he is pretty much in constant pain and has had 3 dozen surgeries on his back and shoulders. So in context, I'm definitely not jealous and wouldn't switch places.

My thought on giving money to strangers and whether they run off and buy drugs or booze is that once you give them the money, what they do with it is their problem. If they blow it on booze and drugs to feed an addiction, that's on them. Probably better than the alternative of petty crime to feed the addiction.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Beggars should plant someone in the train car to "give" them money because I've noticed that people are more likely to give if someone else did so first.

Not me though. I have no heart.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.
GWM: donating to local soup kitchens, food banks, and homeless outreach organizations that will help those in need. And it's tax-deductible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
The follow up for the BWM Lannisters

https://www.reddit.com/r/Journalism/comments/5ij5yk/how_i_pretended_to_bang_my_brother_exposed/

• Locked thread