Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Carcer posted:

If merfolk ever get cut I will fully stop playing. They're the race I learned the game with.

Same but also if they lower its polearm apt and also I won't stop playing who am I kidding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Their living on borrowed time.

I'll probably just end up sticking with 0.19 anyway. There are other rogue likes but few that have the polish and ease-of-use of crawl, but I don't like whats being cut for the sake "design philosophy" and "reducing bloat".

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I've started using artificer as a background for all hybrid characters I plan to make. The wands are fantastic and it is one of the few backgrounds with evenish attributes. You also get a little bit of combat skills to start out with.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Don't worry. There aren't any merfolk in LOTR so you're safe.

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't
Nobody can stem the tide, so let's face it: HO, Mf, DE, Ko, Ha, Tr, Hu and also Og (single mention in Hobbit!) are all Tolkien-tainted. These will be purged, we expect complete delivery by 0.27.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

dpeg posted:

Nobody can stem the tide, so let's face it: HO, Mf, DE, Ko, Ha, Tr, Hu and also Og (single mention in Hobbit!) are all Tolkien-tainted. These will be purged, we expect complete delivery by 0.27.

Ko aren't anywhere in LotR or the Hobbit. :colbert:

You'll have to change them to 'deep halflings' first.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nice ulmo .

And look at that a Man. Tuor should drop the large shield he will never hit 25 in shields.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Wait, the game has livery?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Can't say I was expecting the dev team to bring back ogre mages!!

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't

Zore posted:

Ko aren't anywhere in LotR or the Hobbit. :colbert:
True! Kobolds are a D&Dism, right? That makes them just as eligible for removal, though.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Kobolds originate in mythology from the whole sorta Germanic region, dogg!!

They're weird little spirits who, depending on the type, are nasty motherfuckers who are out to mess with you or are little helper pals who think boats are rad as heck.

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
I know that, I am a German. But I don't think these are what the RPG kobolds are and, in fact, I once looked into a D&D Monster Manual and their kobolds are nothing like the Deutschkobold.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Yeah, in this game and D&D they're little dog-lizard things that are either fodder for adventurers or insanely dangerous trap setting bastards.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm pretty sure there was an octopus monster in one of the LOTR movies so I guess we have to remove Octopodes too.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm pretty sure there was an octopus monster in one of the LOTR movies so I guess we have to remove Octopodes too.

The Watcher in the Water was in the books too! But it's more like a kraken with too many tentacles.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
When you get a battlemage pet by D3 thanks to one of those random god altars, what do you call him?

update: throw icicle confirmed as being effective against frilled lizards and rats...

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the only good kobolds are little lizard people kobolds

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've always prefered to imagine kobolds as little corgi men.

EDIT: Why the gently caress can't I find statue form anywhere

I get necromutation in a randart book but not a single statue form anywhere in the dungeon. I've literally never had this problem before.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 15, 2016

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

the only good kobolds are little lizard people kobolds

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I've always prefered to imagine kobolds as little corgi men.

EDIT: Why the gently caress can't I find statue form anywhere

I get necromutation in a randart book but not a single statue form anywhere in the dungeon. I've literally never had this problem before.

Its been removed. Too annoying to have to cast.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Actually I found the sole copy of the spell at the bottom of the Tomb. Mummies knew I was gonna be going for easy mode this game and tried to prevent it. Jokes on them, I had silence!

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

RNG blessed me with artifact armor right in the beginning of a run but

I feel dirty.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

dpeg posted:

True! Kobolds are a D&Dism, right? That makes them just as eligible for removal, though.

0.27: Removed Dragons and the dungeon.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm pretty sure there are no crabfolk in either Tolkien or D&D, by the way. Just sayin'

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
In the movies the moria goblins (Remove goblins) used shields that you could argue looked like crab claws. I think that's enough association to doom crabfolk.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm pretty sure there are no crabfolk in either Tolkien or D&D, by the way. Just sayin'

I'm sorry you had to find out this way, but there are.

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Among hordes of madmen, you sound more sane than ever.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
After decades of turning out source books pretty much all possible things exist in D&D.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

How about Klingons? Can we put them in?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
I'm pretty sure I could forgive most my misgivings with Crawl development if Crabs truly do take the center stage.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm over crab meme

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Rename Tengu to crabfolk, reflavor flight as scuttling, give them back their helmet slot and remove glove slot (pincers)

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

IronicDongz posted:

I'm over crab meme

Ain't no meme here I just genuinely love crabs
If I could add Frogs to this whole "what if playable" thing too I'd be super down

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sindai posted:

After decades of turning out source books pretty much all possible things exist in D&D.

True, but crabmen as a D&D monster are older than I am.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Ain't no meme here I just genuinely love crabs
If I could add Frogs to this whole "what if playable" thing too I'd be super down

Instead of lesser beckoning, greater tonguing. On second thought, maybe not.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
First they came for the Divinations, and I did not speak out—

Then they came for the Traps & Doors, and I did not speak out—

Then they came for the High Elves, and I did not speak out—

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Crampy Grampaw posted:

First they came for the Divinations, and I did not speak out—

Then they came for the Traps & Doors, and I did not speak out—

Then they came for the High Elves, and I did not speak out—

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

fact: dcss devs are literally nazis

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Ok, I think I can handle maining a Tengu character when the High Elves bite the dust. I think I'm gonna focus on a spellcaster/stabber hybrid since it has pretty solid aptitudes for both. Air Elementalists seem powerful enough to make up for the lesser hp. Honestly it's crazy how much more powerful shock is than the other level 1 spells. Being able to take on a whole hallway of enemies at once makes group encounters a breeze.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 16, 2016

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

IronicDongz posted:

I'm over crab meme

No sidestepping the issue here, you either froth with us or be scuttled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

0.17 Crawl will remain best Crawl

• Locked thread