Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lovechop posted:

aaaand h2k pick up nuclear and chei.....

aids

nuclear had a lot of potential, he and sasin basically carried sbenu. but also i think that lane is a downgrade for a whole lot of reasons and i would be sorta surprised if it worked out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Transient People posted:

Lane swaps were logistically entertaining but incredibly noninteractive, and tactically and strategically boring. It's not that they couldn't be entertaining, but the focus of League of Legends isn't in winning before the match has started due to a successful laneswap or tower rush.

there isn't one "focus" for league.

the focus of pro league play is to win. the focus of league from a spectator standpoint is to enjoy it. the focus of league for low elo players is to get as many kills as possible. the focus of league for riot is to make money.

pros did lane swaps because they worked. part of pick/ban strategy is "winning before the match has started" as well. pros didn't do lane swaps because they were boring.

but riot wanted to get rid of lane swaps. riot didn't want to get rid of lane swaps because they're noninteractive but because they're boring. (they are boring because they're noninteractive, but it's the boring part that is relevant.) boring means spectator league fails to entertain the fans, and since the purpose of spectator league from riot's POV is to advertise their product, they can't have boring stuff damaging their advertising strategy; so they have to eliminate lane swaps.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Vermain posted:

I genuinely wouldn't expect them until next season at the earliest. It'd pretty dramatically change how P/B works in competitive, especially if they do staggered bans ala DotA 2, and I suspect they're wary of making such a significant change without a lot of in-house testing.

(There's also probably some client backend that they'd need to make to accommodate this.)

Riot doesn't really test things, so that's out the window.

10 bans is the kind of thing where you just have to do it, because you think it has value (by creating more diversity, or whatever), and tweak it later. The Spring split is probably the best time to do it, as it gives you a whole year to figure it out before Worlds.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

nomadologique posted:

there isn't one "focus" for league.

We disagree on that to a fundamental level. There absolutely is a focus for League, the same way there's a focus for any other game. The games are built with some kinda way to play them in mind. Gross deviations of that are corrected, as a rule. It's why the offside rule exists in Soccer, for instance - otherwise you got degenerate 'chuck the ball towards the opponent's side of the field and hope defense fucks up' for 90 minutes (this is not made up, it HAS happened). There's nothing wrong with enforcing a basic way to play on a game. It tends to make it more interesting, not less.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Keep in mind that one of the reasons that, say, DotA2 sees more heroes played competitively is because DotA2 doesn't have the same philosophy of "roles" that League does. DotA2 heroes weren't designed with the idea of them going top/middle/bot/whatever and fulfilling some specific function (like initiation), and they therefore don't have to compete as much with other, similar entries who might play slightly different. Think about, say, Leona vs. Alistar: their general pattern of play and ability to lock someone down is roughly equal, but Alistar sees vastly more play because his combo is straight-up easier and more reliable to execute. Midlane mages almost always need to be designed with the ability to waveclear in mind, because being bad at waveclearing automatically puts them at a huge disadvantage (unless they're some scaling monster like Ryze). It means that design tends to be constrained more than DotA2, who can just pop out a hero with X abilities and see where it lands (since there's no hard and fast rules about what you "need" to have in each lane).

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Dota has a lot of hero variety, but the flip side of that is: gently caress half those heroes

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Transient People posted:

We disagree on that to a fundamental level. There absolutely is a focus for League, the same way there's a focus for any other game. The games are built with some kinda way to play them in mind. Gross deviations of that are corrected, as a rule. It's why the offside rule exists in Soccer, for instance - otherwise you got degenerate 'chuck the ball towards the opponent's side of the field and hope defense fucks up' for 90 minutes (this is not made up, it HAS happened). There's nothing wrong with enforcing a basic way to play on a game. It tends to make it more interesting, not less.

i don't think we really disagree. they make a rule change like that in soccer because it makes it more fun to watch, not because it's "fundamental" to the game in some way. i can guarantee you if it wasn't illegal, every pro team would do it all the time, every day, because they don't care about "the spirit of the game," they care about winning. lionel messi, for instance, in a really really special player: not only is he one of the most athletically talented and intelligent players to ever play the game, but he also refuses to dive etc. but that's by far the exception, not the rule.

i see what you mean, there's a kind of abstract "attractor" that generally defines what the game is, and the game stops being interesting to watch when it is broken by something that keeps the game from hovering around that attractor... but that attractor is defined by many interests, and changes with them.

riot doesn't make changes exactly based on the game's attractor-state so much as profitability. normally, making sure the game isn't broken is the most profitable solution... but what does and doesn't break the game is dependent on POV. there are a lot of smart people here, for instance, who say "the game sure would be better if xyz," and the fact is that these smart, well-informed, analytical people don't represent the mass of riot's customers. riot does stuff based on whether it'll help them sell more skins and icons.

i think it's inaccurate, as well, to compare lane swapping to cherry picking.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

rabidsquid posted:

nuclear had a lot of potential, he and sasin basically carried sbenu. but also i think that lane is a downgrade for a whole lot of reasons and i would be sorta surprised if it worked out

yeah i think nuclear is okay but from forgiven / vander to that lane ahhh. it's probably gonna be a nightmare yeah.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
KONGDOO Monsters and Dark Passage is about to start. Probably.

https://www.twitch.tv/esl_lol

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

When does Fenix and Piglet play?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

When does Fenix and Piglet play?
Fenix isn't on Liquid anymore and they're playing right now

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I don't understand how it's possible for IEM production to be consistently so bad

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Is there really no non-braindead mid they can take over GoldenGlue? I haven't seen anyone be such a non-factor in a game for a looong time

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

wait reignover left immortals for goldenglue and lolru?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Wuxi posted:

Is there really no non-braindead mid they can take over GoldenGlue? I haven't seen anyone be such a non-factor in a game for a looong time

Agreed. With that much farm and items on Ryze you should definitely do more. It barely seemed like he casted any spells. He was full hp/full mana after every fight except the last one where they all instantly died minus Piglet. Ryze is so busted but Goldenglutes made him seem underpowered. I don't want to hate too much on him but you could tell the difference between him and Night who is the among the best midlaners in EU which is a league stacked with good mids.

Also for once I have to agree with Phreak, the Hexdrinker buy was really stupid and bad by Piglet. Hexdrinker is good vs LB or Syndra where you might get bursted but survive with shield(of course qss can be good here too). Vs Ryze/Cass you definitely want qss to cleanse the cc because thats whats gonna kill you. Also not to mention that there is a Ashe in the game. I know piglet trusts his mechanics but he can qss a cc from every single giants member except Reksai. QSS was infinitely better.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

https://twitter.com/Korean_Mulan/status/809084153325096960

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

owns

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

nomadologique posted:

i don't think we really disagree. they make a rule change like that in soccer because it makes it more fun to watch, not because it's "fundamental" to the game in some way. i can guarantee you if it wasn't illegal, every pro team would do it all the time, every day, because they don't care about "the spirit of the game," they care about winning. lionel messi, for instance, in a really really special player: not only is he one of the most athletically talented and intelligent players to ever play the game, but he also refuses to dive etc. but that's by far the exception, not the rule.

i see what you mean, there's a kind of abstract "attractor" that generally defines what the game is, and the game stops being interesting to watch when it is broken by something that keeps the game from hovering around that attractor... but that attractor is defined by many interests, and changes with them.

riot doesn't make changes exactly based on the game's attractor-state so much as profitability. normally, making sure the game isn't broken is the most profitable solution... but what does and doesn't break the game is dependent on POV. there are a lot of smart people here, for instance, who say "the game sure would be better if xyz," and the fact is that these smart, well-informed, analytical people don't represent the mass of riot's customers. riot does stuff based on whether it'll help them sell more skins and icons.

i think it's inaccurate, as well, to compare lane swapping to cherry picking.

That's fair. I do think that eliminating laneswaps wasn't necessarily a profit-driven decision (I design games too and go absolutely batty when poo poo goes completely off the rails - I don't think the investors have much of a say on how the balance team shakes things up so long as it continues to make money, though I'd be curious if viewcounts nosedived during the age of laneswaps), but it's true that the teams themselves will not give a poo poo about what makes the game boring to watch so long as it makes them more successful. What would you compare laneswaps to?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

About this Giants roster. Night is decent but Ori/Ryze into Cassio are both losing matchups. Also Upset, this rookie German adc looks really good. Playing really REALLY aggro in teamfights doing lots of dps. These teamfights look good because how good Night and Upset are in teamfights but KDM have too large leads. Edge really playing the lane well both times.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Ulio posted:

About this Giants roster. Night is decent but Ori/Ryze into Cassio are both losing matchups. Also Upset, this rookie German adc looks really good. Playing really REALLY aggro in teamfights doing lots of dps. These teamfights look good because how good Night and Upset are in teamfights but KDM have too large leads. Edge really playing the lane well both times.

you can't gently caress with the one and only kongdoo monster himself, but this giants roster is actually pretty cool yeah

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya this giants roster just go all in teamfights and are fun to watch. Don't like mightybear even Wisdom would be a better pickup than him. Flaxxish has decent mechanics from few challenger games I saw him in na.

Also Piglet making GBS threads on DP so hard lol. Winning lane as Ez/Twitch vs Cait.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

instead of Easyhoon going BACK TO YOUR FAVORITE KOREAN TEAM! actually Bengi is the jungler for VG now lmao

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
TL's map movement is pretty impressive this game

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Duke to iG is apparently a thing

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

oh and Ming is the new RNG support, he was pretty good in the Ning/Ming bot lane for Young Miracle. also rumors that PAIN EVIL is gonna try out for mid for RNG.

Zzitai is the new Snake mid

edit: there are rumors that Cry is gonna be the new EDG ADC lmao

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

rabidsquid posted:

instead of Easyhoon going BACK TO YOUR FAVORITE KOREAN TEAM! actually Bengi is the jungler for VG now lmao

I barely follow LPL how is VG as a team? Obvi Bengi is a solid upgrade over whoever was jungling before.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Goldenglue was also pretty good other than the first game vs Night where he did absolutely nothing. He solokilled him in the other games and played teamfights really well. He should learn a thing or two vs Crown.

Finally some hot spicy rumors about LPL. I feel like people will see how weak Bengi is as a player individually in LPL.

Also in LCK news, EVER's roster is same as kespacup/summer except no Loken/Key. Key didn't play much anyway and Loken is being replaced by CJ sub adc Ghost who was kinda hyped for a long time but was too young to play in summer or spring I forgot when.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Bengi and Easyhoon are going to form a bromance and storm to world's glory

or they will finish 5th.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Kashuno posted:

Obvi Bengi is a solid upgrade over whoever was jungling before.

Dandy? I mean, I guess...

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

lol

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Looks like Dignitas has used their basketball dollars to pick up Ssumday and Chaser for top/jungle. Decent acquisition? I know Ssumday used to be pretty drat good but I have no idea who Chaser is at all.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
New rules for NALCS spring 2017

TLDR: Expedited arbitration for some infractions, minimum $50,000 additional guaranteed income for all teams from digital goods, increased prize pool, poaching protection for head coaches, team rosters expanded to include 3 inactive spots, relegation is now a double elemination tournament between the top two qualifying challenger series teams and the bottom two LCS teams and sister teams can play in the challenger series but are ineligible for promotion and can only take 3 of the 6 slots.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
The difference between GoldenGlue and Night in their respective Ryze games was pretty telling.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Sexpansion posted:

The difference between GoldenGlue and Night in their respective Ryze games was pretty telling.

Yeah goldenglue mostly used ryze as a character in league of legends, while Night was a chilling true memoir of the holocaust.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Work Friend Keven posted:

Yeah goldenglue mostly used ryze as a character in league of legends, while Night was a chilling true memoir of the holocaust.

that's a good book nice reference.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I want to see an LCS sister team and CS sister team get into the promotion/relegation tournament and watch the LCS team get removed tbh.

Those changes for spring are good tho

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Kashuno posted:

I want to see an LCS sister team and CS sister team get into the promotion/relegation tournament and watch the LCS team get removed tbh.

Can't happen under the new rules - CS sister teams can't participate in the promotion tournament. The two highest ranked unaffiliated CS teams get invited.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

"All NA LCS teams have been made aware of this change well in advance of the 2017 Season."
oh, that's alright then. well, i'm sure the cs teams were made aware too, and didn't find out from the public post or anything.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

Goldenglue's ryze game was horrible but he outperformed in nearly every other game they played. I was really surprised Night made many mistakes imo because in EU lcs he plays a lot better. Giants just gonna be the teamfighting team in EU I guess. Upset really impressed he played so aggressive on even immobile carries like Jhin/Ashe it was refreshing to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Chris de Sperg posted:

"All NA LCS teams have been made aware of this change well in advance of the 2017 Season."
oh, that's alright then. well, i'm sure the cs teams were made aware too, and didn't find out from the public post or anything.

:riot:

• Locked thread