Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

wargames posted:

I want to 17 drac with nerds who would like to team up today?
Does that even work? Last I heard ship kills don't count towards the whole wing's missions. Also wings are just broke as gently caress and everyone but the leader has their game freeze up in combat every so often and/or disconnects all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alzion
Dec 31, 2006
Technically a '06

wargames posted:

I want to 17 drac with nerds who would like to team up today?

That won't really work since the majority of the time spent doing this exploit is switching sessions and board scumming.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Looks like some networking issues have been addressed in the beta: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/315425-Networking-Changes-in-v2-2-03

Mu77ley fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 15, 2016

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage

Pilchenstein posted:

Does that even work? Last I heard ship kills don't count towards the whole wing's missions. Also wings are just broke as gently caress and everyone but the leader has their game freeze up in combat every so often and/or disconnects all the time.

As best as I can tell, if you're shooting ships in conflict areas, a fellow wing commander's kill counts. But if you're using the exploit, I imagine you're logging in and out like some sort of ninja forester, which would make staying in a wing kind of difficult.

Elewem
Dec 4, 2013

Jar Jar Binks in my Spirit Animal
I've not mission board scummed in a long time, but it seems that switching game modes isn't actually refreshing the boards very well. Do I need to wait a certain amount of time, or is there some other trick I'm missing?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Pilchenstein posted:

One way to find out if its broken or not.

Alzion posted:

That won't really work since the majority of the time spent doing this exploit is switching sessions and board scumming.

not really asking for the most quickest fastest way of breaking the game just looking for some other people to kill time with, I know being social isn't a goon thing and elite goons hate it even more but come on.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Ok so how would you change it? Please be specific.

Optional Autopilot. Plot your course on the map, hit "take me there" and the only time you have to take manual control of your ship during travel is when you want to scoop. You can still have your "space" whenever you want, but for people who think the primary gameplay in their spaceship game is fighting spaceships, they can focus on that.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

DatonKallandor posted:

Optional Autopilot. Plot your course on the map, hit "take me there" and the only time you have to take manual control of your ship during travel is when you want to scoop. You can still have your "space" whenever you want, but for people who think the primary gameplay in their spaceship game is fighting spaceships, they can focus on that.

If they're going to put in autopilot, it will be after SpaceLegs go in, so that you (and your multicrew buddies) have time/reason to wander around the ship during longer journeys.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
War's over folks.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

tooterfish posted:

Increasing jump range, increasing supercruise speed and adding warp gates doesn't make travel more engaging, it just makes it so you have to do arbitrarily less of it.

Correct, which is why I stated both "I'm not sure what they could do within the scope of the existing game, e.g. Elite: More Dangerous", and I qualified those ideas with "I don't know how to fix [so here is some spit balling ideas]".

My original post was"why is it taking an hour to get to point A and 80% of it is just watching load screens". Reading comprehension is hard.

The real irony of all the poo poo posting is it was boredom flying to 17 Draconis :cheers:

Sard posted:

Hi hello goons, I see we are having a supercruise meltdown.

Isn't it fortunate that I solved this problem a year ago? Harass Frontier until L-point jumps are implemented.

This is a great idea; the best space game, independence war 2, has these and they are terrific.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
In that case why even bother having a flight in the first place? Put up a loading screen and bam! You're already docked at the other station. Even better, skip the whole process and allow us to remotely buy and sell the commodities at any station without leaving dock since it's all just a fancy loading screen anyway.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Sard posted:

Hi hello goons, I see we are having a supercruise meltdown.

Isn't it fortunate that I solved this problem a year ago? Harass Frontier until L-point jumps are implemented.

This is a great idea, and even gets you a little bit of that KSP flavor since you're starting to talk about real orbital mechanics (with magic FTL drives, but still).

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

INTJ Mastermind posted:

In that case why even bother having a flight in the first place? Put up a loading screen and bam! You're already docked at the other station. Even better, skip the whole process and allow us to remotely buy and sell the commodities at any station without leaving dock since it's all just a fancy loading screen anyway.

For a second I pretend this isn't sarcasm: Sure you can do this. You can even replace all graphics with text. And the game with a piece of paper and you just pretending really hard.

Reductio at absurdum!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

As someone who's currently a couple of thousand lightyears away from the bubble, I'm still kind of curious what it is people do to make them stare at the load screens so much?

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Pilchenstein posted:

War's over folks.

Poo. Guess the weekend frogs are frogged right up the frog once again.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

INTJ Mastermind posted:

There are games set in medieval times that let you buy and sell remotely. I guess the problem is all of their creativity was put into how to slow your progress rather than building a universe that even remotely resembles what the future would be like to the point that the only facet of space game they thought worth keeping was long travel times.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
If you don't enjoy the actual travelling in Elite I'd be hard pressed to say the game is worth the time. There is a lot of travelling.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Pilchenstein posted:

War's over folks.

DAMMIT. Stupid short war. I have this afternoon off and was planning on racking up another few hundred million. Back to ESO for now, I guess.

At least it is showing Civil War as a pending state.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage

DatonKallandor posted:

They could do this the way EVE online does and then you can just autopilot in your super expensive ship and go, like, spend time with your wife and family, have a life, come back in a few hours an- OH GOD WHO SHOT MY EXPENSIVE SHIP THAT THING WILL COST DOZENS OF IRL DOLLARS THE WAY I HAD THAT THING FIT GDI TIME TO GET A DIVORCE SO I CAN PUT A FOCUS ON WHAT REALLY MATTERS.

I mean I guess this is less of an issue in this game considering the unlikelihood of running into other CMDR pilots, and the reduction of pirates interdicting at all, but still...

I guess there could be some sort of autopilot module but frankly for a game like this I just don't see the point.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

A. Beaverhausen posted:

If you don't enjoy the actual travelling in Elite I'd be hard pressed to say the game is worth the time. There is a lot of travelling.

If you could travel further, you would spend the same amount of time travelling. But you might actually get something accomplished or see what you actually wanted to see.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

DogonCrook posted:

There are games set in medieval times that let you buy and sell remotely. I guess the problem is all of their creativity was put into how to slow your progress rather than building a universe that even remotely resembles what the future would be like to the point that the only facet of space game they thought worth keeping was long travel times.

Frontier Elite from TYOOL 1993 let you pay fines remotely as you accrue them :eek: (not that fines matter but still)

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Mr. Crow posted:

Reading comprehension is hard.
Sometimes that's not the reader's problem.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

A. Beaverhausen posted:

There's far too much flying in space in this flying a spaceship in space game...

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mu77ley posted:

There's far too much flying in space in this flying a spaceship in space game...

Careful now...

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Lima posted:

Frontier Elite from TYOOL 1993 let you pay fines remotely as you accrue them :eek: (not that fines matter but still)

When the project started someone interviewed ian bell and he was basically saying that braben should do more than just remake the original but he couldnt because he was creatively bankrupt.

In that same interview he talked about his new life eating mushrooms at raves though so i took it with a grain of salt.

I dont think it was a money grab, but i think they should have brought ian bell on board and let him eat mushrooms and show them how to have fun.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mu77ley posted:

I think it's that you spend less time doing any sort of actual flying than you do "pressing J and watching a starfield animation." It's not like you're skillfully dodging hazards or something.

But whatever, I've had this game in the pile of "something to do while watching TV" for awhile now. It's never going to be a game that requires much of your attention while you play it.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

StarkRavingMad posted:

I think it's that you spend less time doing any sort of actual flying than you do "pressing J and watching a starfield animation." It's not like you're skillfully dodging hazards or something.

But whatever, I've had this game in the pile of "something to do while watching TV" for awhile now. It's never going to be a game that requires much of your attention while you play it.

Careful now...

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
:grin:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

DogonCrook posted:

When the project started someone interviewed ian bell and he was basically saying that braben should do more than just remake the original but he couldnt because he was creatively bankrupt.

In that same interview he talked about his new life eating mushrooms at raves though so i took it with a grain of salt.

I dont think it was a money grab, but i think they should have brought ian bell on board and let him eat mushrooms and show them how to have fun.
Eh. I always get a slight whiff of sour grapes whenever I read Ian's side of things.

I could be wrong, but maybe it's the guy who's done gently caress all else who's creatively bankrupt? I mean, watch this space guys!

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Over the past hour, I was still able to collect a dozen or so massacre missions in 17 Drac and complete them, they just gave me some bounty on my head for blowing up skimmers now. The missions definitely came slower on the mission board, but still was able to do some.

Sittin' at 99 million credits in my account now, with a whole 8,500 credit bounty on my head in 17 Drac. Seems like a decent time to head back to the bubble I guess.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

tooterfish posted:

Eh. I always get a slight whiff of sour grapes whenever I read Ian's side of things.

I could be wrong, but maybe it's the guy who's done gently caress all else who's creatively bankrupt? I mean, watch this space guys!

That's a pretty 1995 background, right there.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I think the travel issue can be attacked from other angles too, like by increasing the relative amount of time you get to do other stuff. One way would be to enable inter-ship trading and repairs/restock. Then you wouldn't have to go back to station as frequently, and it potentially opens up a niche for people who want to provide those services. And it'd make pirating more interesting.

Some kind of autopilot makes sense, if only because there's already a docking comp, and realistically the Elite universe would have computers capable of full-on navigation too. Make the tradeoff be that you're easier to interdict, maybe. You need stuff to do while traveling, though, and said stuff should have notification overlays in case something bad happens (interdiction, or crash/attacks in regular space). So if you're in the map view you'll notice and be able to drop quickly back into the cockpit.

Speaking of stuff to do -- long term I think they'd to well to borrow a few pages from Eve Online and have player corporations/political organizations with many-to-many chat, or NPC contractors in solo play. Have an end game that requires more management skills and less twitch, in an actually immersive engine. I think powerplay was an attempt at going in that direction, but it's a system with few degrees of freedom, and players can't effect much change apart from running up another XP counter. In general, the game feels kind of locked down, and all you can do is tweak a few variables by a few percent here and there.

Anyway, that's my dumb rant. Thanks for reading.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

tooterfish posted:

Thats totally true he holds a grudge. I didnt play or follow the earlier ones but i thought he was the guy that made up most of the gameplay. Hes gone and its gone so i assumed they were related.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

So clever :jerkbag:

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
Supercruise is Space Desert Bus, the actual interesting flying only ever happens when you're in normal space. Basically any part where you can't go FA Off is a worthless waste of time that could and should be automated if not removed outright.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Ah, shame 17 Draconis cooled down. But I did get a high graded Python, which is the ship I always wanted for general putzing around, with 200m leftovers so it's good. :shobon:

The mission board seems to be pretty dead now, but there was one last 11.5 million mission there. Guess it's one more for the road.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Good Dumplings posted:

Supercruise is Space Desert Bus, the actual interesting flying only ever happens when you're in normal space. Basically any part where you can't go FA Off is a worthless waste of time that could and should be automated if not removed outright.

Perfect post-avatar combo.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
There's already stuff to do in supercruise: navigating gravity wells, fuel scooping with heat management, exploring USS, and the threat of pirate interdictions.

Would you like the game better if it's like the current beta where you start with a billion dollars, all ships unlocked, and your station has all the modules and engineer mods available?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Good Dumplings posted:

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

There's already stuff to do in supercruise: navigating gravity wells, fuel scooping with heat management, exploring USS, and the threat of pirate interdictions.

Would you like the game better if it's like the current beta where you start with a billion dollars, all ships unlocked, and your station has all the modules and engineer mods available?

Gravity wells never come into play in a way that matters unless (a)you have a NPC chasing you and (b) your back's already to the well, fuel scooping is either "sit at a sweet spot for a couple of minutes" or "dive into the sun for ten seconds" and you have to do it over and over. There's nothing you need at a USS that you can't get anywhere else (and our guides recommend against visiting them since they - again - involve putting around doing nothing), and there's no reason to ever actually try evading an interdiction since it's never clear if you have a real chance of succeeding or not; usually evading ends with you getting interdicted anyway, so it's always faster to just submit and jump back out/fight.

Supercruise could be interesting, but there have to be interesting choices, not these Morton's Fork deals.

• Locked thread