Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

I can't wait until the new interceptors and Explorers make it to police auctions. I want a cheap cop-spec AWD Taurus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Scruff McGruff posted:

You still get the occasional old fogey chief that insists on RWD so they buy some Chargers

Interesting. Around here in Tennessee it's all Chargers all the time, unless it's the Explorers.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Nuevo posted:

Interesting. Around here in Tennessee it's all Chargers all the time, unless it's the Explorers.

The cop that I know says that not a single one of their demo Chargers from Dodge survived an entire shift, frequent transmission failures across the whole range.

They went hard Ford when it came time to retire the CVPI.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
The local police in my hometown moved to F-150s, for some reason. 4-door short-bed. They look kind of silly, but I guess that's the closest thing they could get to a CVPI.

MesquiteLog
Dec 8, 2009

beep-beep car is go posted:

I can't wait until the new interceptors and Explorers make it to police auctions. I want a cheap cop-spec AWD Taurus.

The early ones, especially the SUVs, had problems with the center diff grenading. The front axles/cv joints are absolute poo poo that constantly needs replacing. They shed trim pieces like an oak tree sheds leaves in the winter. The interior is cramped and the trunk is so drat high that the rearview mirror is worthless. Also they are much lower to the ground than the Vics.

All told they are a poor replacement for the Vic as far as police work goes. The twin turbo ones are hellaciously fast though.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
There are Chevy "Caprice" police cars floating around now. Really drat sad that platform is going away :(

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I mean weve seen it coming slowly, but it looks Goofy af

https://waymo.com/

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Jestery posted:

I'm not sure you can call driverless cars terrible car stuff seeing as most people on the roads are loving idiots and unpredictable at best. Driverless cars are a fantastic way of getting people who can't drive (despite having a license) off the roads and I really hope they take off. Imagine a freeway of driverless cars all in convoy inches off each other's bumpers because they all know where they're going, sending information back and forth constantly. You'd get a lot more free space and more predictable driving as when you indicate, a driverless car will let you through no matter what as there's no bellend behind the wheels protecting the 20ft of space surrounding his car.

Pile bad drivers into driverless cars please, let them sit on their phones watching TV or whatever...

*edit: I mean this thing's cute but I'm sure that'll change.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The best argument for driverless cars showing up now is that by the time I'm a blind old gently caress who should cut up his license, these vehicles will be super common and I'll be able to maintain my independence.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

xzzy posted:

The best argument for driverless cars showing up now is that by the time I'm a blind old gently caress who should cut up his license, these vehicles will be super common and I'll be able to keep going to work every day (because there will be no such thing as retirement or leisure in the Trumpconomy).

ftfy

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://i.imgur.com/ospC2Jb.gifv

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

womp womp wooooooooooooomp

I also totally expected him to drift around the corner, but alas.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

How in the actual gently caress? Did he just not cut the wheel or does my F150 really have a better turning radius than a Ferrari?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

How in the actual gently caress? Did he just not cut the wheel or does my F150 really have a better turning radius than a Ferrari?

Too much downforce from the bark bench bolted to the rear.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
That wing isn't doing a whole lot at 5mph.

Probably thought he could spin the wheels and rotate the car enough.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Scruff McGruff posted:

Yeah, between this and the Taurus Interceptor, Ford did a pretty good job retaining 90% of the police fleet market when they discontinued the Crown Vic. You still get the occasional old fogey chief that insists on RWD so they buy some Chargers but almost every department around me has switched to the AWD Interceptors (both models).

Yeah, I've heard this for the Taurus but all the cops I know that use the Explorer Utility Interceptor love it.

The issue with the Taurus is that Ford promised Police departments that the laptop/storage cradles for inside the cabin from a Crown Vic would work in the Taurus without issue. This obviously enticed the depts because those consoles are not cheap and typically outlive the vehicle they are installed in. While the consoles do fit (**technically**) they absolutely ruin the ergonomics of the Taurus and give it a bad rep. Really makes you wonder what it would've cost to design PI units with these center consoles from the start vs souring many departments on the concept of buying new cars.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Isn't that what acceptance testing is for? You put out a request for bids, they send you a sample, and you do your own internal testing to make sure it works. That way you can whittle down the list of bids to help choose a manufacturer.

Point being it may not all be Ford's fault. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Foreground dude's facepalm is the best.

God that hurts to watch. Ferrari challenge?

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

xzzy posted:

Isn't that what acceptance testing is for? You put out a request for bids, they send you a sample, and you do your own internal testing to make sure it works. That way you can whittle down the list of bids to help choose a manufacturer.

Point being it may not all be Ford's fault. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Sure, but I don't know that every department in the market for cars is afforded this opportunity (never heard of such a thing around my neck of the woods, but I am in the sticks). It is absolutely Ford's fault because they would've observed this in testing, but they had a target to hit. As people have said in previous posts if you have legs, chances are it will be a tight fit and I find it hard to believe no one at Ford mentioned this.

** I'd like to add that I'm sure it was no easy task for Ford to get this figured out, but at the same rate they should not have made such promises if it couldn't be done reasonably.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

There's every form of normal pd-spec vehicle in our local force (some CV still rolling too), plus a bunch of new Tahoes, and at least one each of Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger.

This is some bullshit with the ghost graphics.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Olympic Mathlete posted:

*edit: I mean this thing's cute but I'm sure that'll change.

Yeah I agree I just figured it's terrible because the end is in sight for manual driving. And some people might hate that.

Also as a member of the human race I don't want my driverless can to look like a poofy cloud

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jestery posted:

fun fact, that derpy thing they keep showing is not even close to being a street-legal car

It's a fiberglass shell over a metal tube frame with what amounts to a golf cart underneath. A friend of a friend was hired by Google to build the thing in his garage/model shop.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm the cold rear end weather that destroys windshield wipers after one winter.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I'm the tools sticking to bare skin in this weather but the car without room to wear gloves.

(I really need to insulate my barn better)

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

angryrobots posted:

There's every form of normal pd-spec vehicle in our local force (some CV still rolling too), plus a bunch of new Tahoes, and at least one each of Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger.

This is some bullshit with the ghost graphics.

AFAIK in certain areas there are rules as to when and where police departments can use unmarked vehicles so now they have these. They're totally marked, see?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

iospace posted:

I'm the cold rear end weather that destroys windshield wipers after one winter.

I am glad I bought a set of Icons for my car, they've actually survived multiple freezings so far this year. They squeak a little bit, but that's a lot better than the last wipers I had, which totally fell apart after one freeze that wasn't even as bad as we've had lately.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

My favorite part is when the driver slows down just before he/she realizes that a collision is likely. Then guns it straight into the wall. Goddamn I love this.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Jestery posted:

Yeah I agree I just figured it's terrible because the end is in sight for manual driving. And some people might hate that.

Also as a member of the human race I don't want my driverless can to look like a poofy cloud

My only real concern about driverless cars is how it'll affect the insurance industry and whether or not a car that needs a driver will be seen to be more dangerous and then attract a premium.

JaiFord
Oct 30, 2015

The Door Frame posted:

This is the best outcome for that Mustang, all things considered

I kind of hate myself for loving that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

This is me in video games.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The cop that I know says that not a single one of their demo Chargers from Dodge survived an entire shift, frequent transmission failures across the whole range.

They went hard Ford when it came time to retire the CVPI.

Dallas itself seems to be almost 100% Chargers - both current generation and previous generation.

The suburbs seem to be a mix of Suburban and Charger. The city I'm in also uses the Explorers. The cops I've BS'd with said they like the Suburbans the best, and claim reliability between Suburban and Explorer is similar. They seem to universally hate the Chargers because of (surprise) reliability.

I haven't seen a P71 in police livery in a long time, unless I'm out in the sticks (so Texas DPS, aka state troopers, territory). There's still a few unmarked ones here and there, but they're usually very obvious (they're the only ones that aren't lifted and running giant wheels).

MrYenko posted:

GM: Getting it just right and then immediately shooting it in the forehead since 1908.

The 1.5 turbo they've been cramming into the Cruze and Malibu lately has gained quite a reputation for melting pistons.

I'm guessing it's running an aggressively lean tune from the factory, but I've been seeing videos on youtube of them blowing up with <20k miles. At the moment, the factory "fix" is replace the hosed pistons, and if it toasted the cat or sensors, replace those as well.

(I feel like I saw that in this very thread.... or maybe it was the horrible mechanical failures thread?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JZzPz9nnW0&t=7s

The 1.4 they used in the earlier Cruzes were prone to turbo failures, but the engines themselves were usually okay (I think).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

My only real concern about driverless cars is how it'll affect the insurance industry and whether or not a car that needs a driver will be seen to be more dangerous and then attract a premium.

Initially driverless cars will be forced to pay premiums, then when the insurance industry gets its poo poo pushed in by the driverless car industry everyone elses premiums will rise to maintain the level of profit the insurance industry feel they deserve.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

You know, when one of the world's largest automakers ended up with garbage spaghetti code that provably crashes and locks throttle position... you know, in other words when they hosed up a job that used to be done with a loving cable... I'm not predicting that the Almighty Driverless Future [tm] is going to go smoothly at all, despite what Elon Musk says.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well duh, of course it's not going to be perfection out the gate.

But when the current system kills 1 in X number of drivers, and a new system comes along and kills 1 in X*2, that's still a pretty big win.

The liability is going to be a goddamn nightmare though, those first few deaths are going to be a feeding frenzy.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah, again, despite what Musk says, you can't handwave "the new system is going to be safer because handbuilt prototypes work well". That's not how it works.

Also, people are a lot more willing to accept being killed by other drivers than they are by some malfunctioning mechanical things.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those people are crazy then because I am violently opposed to anything killing me at all.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

xzzy posted:

Those people are crazy then because I am violently opposed to anything killing me at all.

Agreed. If the cars self-drive better than the dumbest fuckers on the road, that's a win.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm sure the people getting turned into hamburger meat by robot cars will be totally cool with Musk telling them "Well you see your Dad died at a rate that is actually lower than other Dads dying so you see..."

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

FCKGW posted:

I'm sure the people getting turned into hamburger meat by robot cars will be totally cool with Musk telling them "Well you see your Dad died at a rate that is actually lower than other Dads dying so you see..."

This. Despite what everyone trying to sell autonomous cars is trying to tell everyone, people (as a whole) are prepared to accept human failings leading to loss of life. If there is a software oversight that leads to one hundredth of the loss of life of drunk drivers, that company is going to go under fast. If it happens to more than one company it's going to get legislated out of existence. Google can do close to perfection under basically lab conditions, but if you read about how they're testing, they deliberately are going for close to lab conditions.

... and I'm seeing on my facebook feed that on the first day of a self driving car trial, Uber had one of the things blow through a red light. GG!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah. And this is not like a "squeaked through at the last second" thing, it ran an obviously red light seconds after everyone else had stopped, with a pedestrian starting through the crosswalk. There are five traffic lights visible to the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CdJ4oae8f4

But hey we're 80% of the way there! I'm sure that last 20% will be the easiest part, right?