Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Comancheria just arrived with no box damage. It's pretty heavy and tightly packed--about half the depth of the COIN boxes. Looking forward to a nice quiet winter's evening of counter clipping!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

As a related question, which size Oregon Lamination tool would people recommend for 0.5 inch counters: 2, 2.5 or 3 mm?

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

anti_strunt posted:

Well, I guess I could get both Roads games and just play the ETO that way...

I thought the whole point of ETO-esque games is to go from beginning to end?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

anti_strunt posted:

As a related question, which size Oregon Lamination tool would people recommend for 0.5 inch counters: 2, 2.5 or 3 mm?
I think I have the 2mm one.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Seems pretty split between 2.5 and 2mm from what I read. 2mm might be a little small for games with large chits. I can't believe I am even considering importing one.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I was at the game store with the intent of picking up a $15 ASL scenario pack, because I don't have enough ASL scenarios.

Battle of the Bulge season came to mind and I left the store with The Last Blitzkrieg.

It's just money right?? :negative: I didn't even get that scenario pack I wanted...

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

COOL CORN posted:

I was at the game store with the intent of picking up a $15 ASL scenario pack, because I don't have enough ASL scenarios.

Battle of the Bulge season came to mind and I left the store with The Last Blitzkrieg.

It's just money right?? :negative: I didn't even get that scenario pack I wanted...

Ahahahahahahahaha....

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I'm only laughing because I do that poo poo all the time. One time I came home with nothing but Memoir '44. loving Memoir '44!

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I have a 2.5mm and it works fine even on the 1/2" ASL counters.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Finster Dexter posted:

I have a 2.5mm and it works fine even on the 1/2" ASL counters.

2.5mm supremacy!

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
I've been using 2mm just because I haven't found a hand-grip 2.5mm . In the end it's still better than nail-clippers. EDIT: 3mm is almost always too much of a round though.

Trynant fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 14, 2016

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I use nail clippers and a CD-case jig like some kind of Neanderthal. But I really just want to get rid of fuzzies. Some dudes go for the octagonal look, which is mutilation to me.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

CaptainRightful posted:

I use nail clippers and a CD-case jig like some kind of Neanderthal. But I really just want to get rid of fuzzies. Some dudes go for the octagonal look, which is mutilation to me.

Yeah, I use nail clippers, because I like my counters nice and square. Rounded corners is mutilation.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I spent the $30 or whatever just to have uniformity. All counters will bow to my will.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I had a go with nail clippers on a poor copy of June 7 once. Not a few of the counters ended up looking like home plate. Welp, thanks for reading!

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I had a go with nail clippers on a poor copy of June 7 once. Not a few of the counters ended up looking like home plate. Welp, thanks for reading!

The whole point with nail clippers isn't to actually attack the counters themselves, but to attack the fluffy bits that still exist when they come off the sprue.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Not sure how I feel about the three pivotals in the new 2p COIN. They seem very, very elaborate.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tekopo posted:

Not sure how I feel about the three pivotals in the new 2p COIN. They seem very, very elaborate.

Yeah my eyes starting sliding off the French ones. Colonial Twilight is definitely going to be a "wait and see" in the same vein as Liberty or Death, which judging by the reviews I am glad I didn't get.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I'm honestly okay with Mobilization and Recall de'Gaulle because it's similar to an idea I had for FitL. I don't see any problem with Morocco & Tunisia or Suez either. OAS seems... odd, given that it's a FLN card and technically benefits both players. But coup d'etat on the other hand looks like it's just going to be a nightmare. I can definitely see that card derailing games just because you roll badly on the one drat roll you need to roll well on and suddenly everything goes to hell and then next round the same thing happens and you've doubled down on getting screwed over. That and reading that card gave me an eyestrain because of how closely I had to look at it to parse what it's trying to say. I don't really know how Coup d'etat is supposed to be used, maybe it's a panic button you just throw down if you're doing badly and want to hope for a miracle.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think you can only coup once per campaign (which I guess is a propaganda -> propaganda cycle). You want to Coup at least once because it gives you access to Recall de Gaule. Beyond that, the only reason why you would play the card is if you are 2nd eligible, the current event is really bad for you, and the next event is also potentially bad for you. By playing the coup, you get rid of the current card (if they copied the FitL system) and are still 1st eligible on the next card. So yeah, it is a panic button.

Agreed on my eyes glazing, and basically what I meant by 'elaborate'. There are so many nesting conditionals, the cards are really badly written and i hope it's just the prototype.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is anyone willing to teach Up Front on VASSAL? My uncle is getting into it with a friend and it'd be nice to get some games in with him. (Yes I know about the complaints about it and did dutifully suggest Combat Commander)

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

Is anyone willing to teach Up Front on VASSAL? My uncle is getting into it with a friend and it'd be nice to get some games in with him. (Yes I know about the complaints about it and did dutifully suggest Combat Commander)

I have no interest in actually playing but I will say that the rulebook is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. There's also a fan update of the rules with the FAQ imbedded that you may or may not find easier to digest. It uses the fan redesign images rather than the original graphics.

Also if you wind up playing on VASSAL, be aware that the deck shuffling is broken to some extent. Shuffling the deck once results in many runs of consecutively numbered cards. Shuffle it like 15-20 times.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I've seen that there are modules for FitL, Cuba Libre and A Distant Plan in TTS. Anyone would be up for a game this weekend? I have no idea on how to play, though. :v:

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Last Blitzkrieg is a cool game but it's a pain in the rear end to play since everything has a step loss counter. And also there's the giant pile of status counters on every HQ.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Obfuscation posted:

Last Blitzkrieg is a cool game but it's a pain in the rear end to play since everything has a step loss counter. And also there's the giant pile of status counters on every HQ.

Vassal makes this 1000% easier to deal with, of course. The vassal module for LB is quite good.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Finster Dexter posted:

Vassal makes this 1000% easier to deal with, of course. The vassal module for LB is quite good.

The module is really good but I just prefer playing with real board and counters. Then again my table is not big enough for the campaign anyway so maybe I should get used to Vassal.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I actually just set up the Kampfgruppe Peiper scenario to learn the system. I have no idea how anything works yet, but it looks pretty!

(the post-its are to denote the bottom boundary of the map. I can't find my dry erase markers)

===

In other news, I bought DAK for $85, which is a screaming deal and now I have one of my grail games!

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Finster Dexter posted:

The other thing I did for the IRL game is that I only clipped corners on the unit counters, and left all the step markers unclipped. That has made it easier for seeing at a glance who has step loss.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

COOL CORN posted:

I actually just set up the Kampfgruppe Peiper scenario to learn the system. I have no idea how anything works yet, but it looks pretty!

(the post-its are to denote the bottom boundary of the map. I can't find my dry erase markers)

===

In other news, I bought DAK for $85, which is a screaming deal and now I have one of my grail games!

Do a playthrough on here!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

silvergoose posted:

Do a playthrough on here!

He should do it in my thread :c00lbert:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

He should do it in my thread :c00lbert:

Wait, which thread, the HASL thread? Or do you have a LB thread somewhere??

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Obfuscation posted:

This is what turned me off Der Weltkrieg, stacks of 10+ counters with a mix of full strength, half strength and strength loss counters all somehow adding up to one number was too much

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

MikeCrotch posted:

This is what turned me off Der Weltkrieg, stacks of 10+ counters with a mix of full strength, half strength and strength loss counters all somehow adding up to one number was too much

FWIW, in LB the step loss is only a counter. It doesn't figure into any gameplay other than letting you know when to remove a counter from the board. You don't have to add up values or anything. A unit is assumed to be fully combat effective until it isn't.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Finster Dexter posted:

Wait, which thread, the HASL thread? Or do you have a LB thread somewhere??

HASL thread.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Frig.

I usually have one consistent opponent for any and all games. I was hoping I could use Colonial Twilight to get him into the COIN series. But jesus, those pivotal events seem like they destroy any hope of this being a good introductory wargame.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

I got my reprint copy of No Retreat yesterday, and I just realized that despite collecting wargames for about 10 years now, this is the first hex and counter wargame I've owned. Weird.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

There are wargames that don't have hexes? idgi

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

FebrezeNinja posted:

I got my reprint copy of No Retreat yesterday, and I just realized that despite collecting wargames for about 10 years now, this is the first hex and counter wargame I've owned. Weird.

How is this even possible? Are you only buying COINs and CDGs?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Finster Dexter posted:

There are wargames that don't have hexes? idgi

Storm over Arnhem/Stalingrad :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

How is this even possible? Are you only buying COINs and CDGs?

Risk, Axis & Allies, Stratego...