Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

You know what was awesome? The dude in wind waker who taught you sword fighting. At first he just gives you the basics of how to fight but you go back to him occasionally over the course of the game and every time the battles get more tense and exciting and he starts giving you knight's crests because he respects your warrior spirit and drive. Then you finally beat him for the last time and it feels like your relationship with him is super strong despite him being mostly a training bag.

Zelda is good guys.

Orca for hyrule warriors 3 please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I said come in! posted:

I still don't understand what it is that is making MOBA's successful in the first place. What do people love about them? I don't understand League of Legends and its appeal. How is something so complex and with such a steep learning curve so popular?

This isn't the whole story but here are a few good reasons:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

I do that with fighting games where the matches last 60 seconds instead of an hour

Different kinds of games. Different strokes.

Some people are good at crazy fast on-the-fly thinking and muscle memory required for combo memorization and counters in fighting games. Some people prefer learning a specific role and working as part of a team as part of a longer, more management/rts-style war game, some people prefer just racing each other to see who can complete a game the fastest, and some people prefer games where the goal is to just get the most kills with whatever gun you have.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

You know what was awesome? The dude in wind waker who taught you sword fighting. At first he just gives you the basics of how to fight but you go back to him occasionally over the course of the game and every time the battles get more tense and exciting and he starts giving you knight's crests because he respects your warrior spirit and drive. Then you finally beat him for the last time and it feels like your relationship with him is super strong despite him being mostly a training bag.

Zelda is good guys.

Yeah, that dude owns. It was so satisfying beating his final challenge, hitting him 999 times without getting hit 3 times.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Palpek posted:

Because I don't play mobas, I dont really care how many they develop and release or how popular they are, I'm like outside the circle of interest on this. The only moba information I find interesting is when some new superexpensive moba fails while breaking another record for how short-lived a game can be and it's always amusing to read about that. Like when Infinite Crisis with the entire DC Universe brand power behind it was closed down after less than 6 months.

I also don't play mobas, but it's interesting to me that basically everytime a new one comes out some friends of mine will try and play it, and will persevere for weeks as the rest of us get bored and drop off and then eventually they'll quit too because the real MOBA was the friendships we made along the way.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

It will also let you play as error, agahnim, sahasrahla, chris houlihan, blind, syrup, kaepora gaebora, the shopkeeper that kills you, will wright, saria, nabooru, twinrova, malon, anju, happy mask salesman, dampe, sakon, pierre, mikau, majora, the toilet hand, kamaro, kafei, darmani, keaton, guru-guru, igos du ikana, veran, ralph, fat impa, nayru, farore, din, rosa, onox, maple, ricky, moosh, dimitri, vaati, makar, beedle, ezlo, mutoh, malo, telma, yeta, postman, linebeck, jolene, chancellor cole, alfonzo, byrne, hilda, ravio, yuga, princess styla, sir combsly, gwonam, king harkinian, gaspra, pinkle, and barkle

but not Groose

I can't believe my hyrule warriors 3 wishlist didn't have orca in it...wtf....

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Cavelcade posted:

I also don't play mobas, but it's interesting to me that basically everytime a new one comes out some friends of mine will try and play it, and will persevere for weeks as the rest of us get bored and drop off and then eventually they'll quit too because the real MOBA was the friendships we made along the way.

ive started doing this and its much better than stressing over losing mmr or w/e

FirstAidKite posted:

Different kinds of games. Different strokes.

Some people are good at crazy fast on-the-fly thinking and muscle memory required for combo memorization and counters in fighting games. Some people prefer learning a specific role and working as part of a team as part of a longer, more management/rts-style war game, some people prefer just racing each other to see who can complete a game the fastest, and some people prefer games where the goal is to just get the most kills with whatever gun you have.

fwiw i stopped playing mobas to play fighting games more and i think im better for it

it was much more satisfying to learn how to fadc combo with dudley in a live match vs. a huge five man ult or whatever for me

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I also feel like I can have more fun playing a moba casually than I can a fighting game where I don't have to worry about being good at inputs and my friends and I can all be on one team working together instead of just fighting 1 on 1 vs matches.

Basically, fighting games and mobas are entirely separate things and I don't think it is fair to compare the two since they're so completely different in more or less every way except being multiplayer-oriented video games featuring large casts of unique characters with large communities dedicated to professional play.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

FirstAidKite posted:

I can't believe my hyrule warriors 3 wishlist didn't have orca in it...wtf....

Well you got Ravio and Yuga at least :)

(and Majora if Skull Kid counts)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I stopped playing mobas to get a graduate degree and become employable

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

playing mobas to get a graduate degree doesn't seem plausible to begin with

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I have a doctorate in pwning noobs

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How many Dr. Video Games do we have left? :gtfoycs:

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I have this idea for a Nintendo moba featuring characters like Mario, Luigi, Waluigi, John Cena, and Tony Hawk

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Ostentatious posted:

I have this idea for a Nintendo moba featuring characters like Mario, Luigi, Waluigi, John Cena, and Tony Hawk

Tony Hawk is investing all his funds into finding the fabled fountain of youth, so he can still have a body that's able to do sick tricks and collect video tapes without giving out.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Well you got Ravio and Yuga at least :)

(and Majora if Skull Kid counts)

Nah when I say Majora I mean like, straight up gimme Majora's Wrath. I wanna be the buff mask monster.with the whips and the lashing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
when talking about mobas with people who don't know about them, it's always fun to mention the chinese league of legends knockoff that stars such original Chinese characters as Shrek, Naruto, Ultraman, Illidan Stormrage, WALL-E, and many more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoOEaeHpejE&hd=1

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Captain Invictus posted:

when talking about mobas with people who don't know about them, it's always fun to mention the chinese league of legends knockoff that stars such original Chinese characters as Shrek, Naruto, Ultraman, Illidan Stormrage, WALL-E, and many more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoOEaeHpejE&hd=1

TBH that also seems like a good thing to mention to people who know about mobas.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

nice ta-tas

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you ever hear of the warcraft 3 knockoff, Dota 2

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

oddium posted:

you ever hear of the warcraft 3 knockoff, Dota 2

didn't famous electronic music maker Dead Mouse make a song about it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Why is that Vault Dweller about to gently caress a horse?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They're just two bros taking a bath together nothing sexual here

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

No, sir ... I don't like it.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I said come in! posted:

I still don't understand what it is that is making MOBA's successful in the first place. What do people love about them? I don't understand League of Legends and its appeal. How is something so complex and with such a steep learning curve so popular?

It ticks a whole bunch of boxes for all kinds of different things all at once. Skill based action! But also watch RPG numbers go up! Team based multiplayer! Strategy! Do good and you get to feel more powerful than everyone else! Tons of characters! It's impressive how many different hooks they have and it's extremely satisfying when all those elements come together and on top of that they're free. I know it's uncool to like MOBAs but they're actually incredibly good as long as you remember the golden rule of mute all the pub players so you don't have to listen to dumb bullshit.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mobas contain too much waiting and boredom, and what I get out of them I could just as well get out of Diablo or a musou game with far less waiting and frustration and microtransactions.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ostentatious posted:

didn't famous electronic music maker Dead Mouse make a song about it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTsaS1Tm-Ic

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

chumbler posted:

Mobas contain too much waiting and boredom, and what I get out of them I could just as well get out of Diablo or a musou game with far less waiting and frustration and microtransactions.

Those games don't offer what you'd get out of a moba at all?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Would like to see a dynasty warriors moba tho

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MMF Freeway posted:

Those games don't offer what you'd get out of a moba at all?

Yeah, for example when you're playing a single player game you don't have to deal with screaming children or adults who act like children

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Multiplayer is good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Why go on an internet forum and listen to people whine about how you're playing it wrong when you could skip the middleman and listen to it ingame!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

MMF Freeway posted:

Would like to see a dynasty warriors moba tho

it basically is one

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I recently got around to playing Read-Only Memories. hosed up most of the minigames, so I got ending 2. I feel really bad about how it turned out, so I want to play it again when the patch with the voice acting comes out.

Also, I really love Oliver and Chad Starfucker.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Mikedawson posted:

I recently got around to playing Read-Only Memories. hosed up most of the minigames, so I got ending 2. I feel really bad about how it turned out, so I want to play it again when the patch with the voice acting comes out.

Also, I really love Oliver and Chad Starfucker.

I haven't finished it but I know I goofed on the minigame where you had to control the traffic lights. I didn't quite understand the rules. So there are multiple endings and they are attached to how well you do the minigames, huh? Crumbs.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SSX Linky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_L-x8YvSLs

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

corn in the bible posted:

it basically is one

I'll bite, how?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I don't like mobas but I do like tower defense games so I'm glad that the RTS genre split in two the way it did.

Mikedawson posted:

Read-Only Memories...the patch with the voice acting comes out.

I had no idea this was a thing, I wonder how many gigabytes it's gong to take just for all of the the insufferable smug robot sidekick's dialogue :words:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I played probably 200 hours of Dota back when it was still a WC3 custom map. The main appeal to mobas is that it is a team objective game but instead of being a first person shooter, you control your dude like a Warcraft 3 hero and level them up like an RPG and get them equipment. And there are like a hundred of them each with their own abilities and all the abilities look neat.

And then you get into some big dumb argument with your friends and no one talks to each other for months because of "laning" or "jungling" or some stupid poo poo no sane person should get into a fight with their friends about.

• Locked thread