Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The book came out over ten years ago, but yeah it does seem like there's lot more stuff in the media about it this year.

It's incredibly creepy both on the surface and when you think about the implications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Memento posted:

The book came out over ten years ago, but yeah it does seem like there's lot more stuff in the media about it this year.

It's incredibly creepy both on the surface and when you think about the implications.

The Simpsons did a creepy take on it last week.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
It was a float in the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade a few years ago.

I don't know why I hate the whole idea of it so, but I do.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Has Pink Floyd ever recorded a song that would be considered happy or upbeat?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mister Kingdom posted:

Time to plug one of my favorite underappreciated Floyd albums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWhOd0ENVS8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPSb5QjgjAc

I guess the lyrics of Free Four might disqualify it.

v Edit: Yeah most songs on The Piper at the Gates of Dawn are pretty upbeat and folky.

Pink Floyd was a different band before Waters took most creative control and stuffed their music with depressing lyrics alluding to his dad dying in the War. :v:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 14, 2016

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmW17QvUhRM

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv5uuhkS4j8

Marf Revus
Apr 20, 2010

Meh
I have pretty sensitive eyes I guess? Basically in a cool breeze it probably looks like I'm crying, especially in winter. My eyes just water uncontrollably if the wind is in them when it's cold. Any particular glasses or anything I can wear to help cut this down? Sunglasses help but not completely. Squash glasses or something? Ski goggles? I don't know - don't want to look completely silly but want something to help

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Get a good pair of good looking safety glasses/sunglasses. The sidewalls should help a lot.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Look for fishing sunglasses. They usually have a bit more coverage then fashion glasses and tend to look better then straight up safety glasses.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

photomikey posted:

It was a float in the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade a few years ago.

I don't know why I hate the whole idea of it so, but I do.

Sending kids the message "You are being constantly surveilled" is creepy as hell and an unfortunate approach to the holiday season, that's why. (And, I think, to parenting, but :can:)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dogfish posted:

Sending kids the message "You are being constantly surveilled" is creepy as hell and an unfortunate approach to the holiday season, that's why.

I'm no Elf on the Shelf apologist but isn't this the basic message of the whole Santa mythology as its told to children in the first place? "he knows if you've been bad or good" "he's making a list", etc.

not to mention the whole "there's an omniscient God watching your every move and if you don't do what He says, it's eternal torture" thing

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Would Cain have killed Able if there was an elf watching?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Foucalt's The Santapticon

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Dogfish posted:

Sending kids the message "You are being constantly surveilled" is creepy as hell and an unfortunate approach to the holiday season, that's why. (And, I think, to parenting, but :can:)
From Dec 1 until school is back in session in January is basically 5 weeks of Disneyland for my kid. Christmas lights and trips to Santa and the tree and the ornaments and presents and shopping and food and then a dumptruck full of toys on the 25th. I feel like the person who created Elf on a Shelf basically looked at all this and declared "if on there was something we could do to make this season special for children and give parents one loving more thing to do every night in December". I don't need anything more to do and my kid was nearly killed last year by the avalanche of gifts under the tree, I don't need one more thing.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Dogfish posted:

We're all being constantly surveilled, wake up sheeple!

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Earwicker posted:

I'm no Elf on the Shelf apologist but isn't this the basic message of the whole Santa mythology as its told to children in the first place? "he knows if you've been bad or good" "he's making a list", etc.

not to mention the whole "there's an omniscient God watching your every move and if you don't do what He says, it's eternal torture" thing

I also think there's some creepy as hell stuff around Santa, especially the non-North American Santa equivalents. (Oh, Sinterklaas is going to take the bad little children to Spain and turn them into cookies that the good children can eat? That seems fine and not horrifying.)

I do, however, think there's an extra layer of unfortunateness between "Santa will know if you belong on the naughty list or the nice list" (and also "God is everywhere and knows if you sin") and meticulously moving and posing a toy every night to make it appear, in a tangible way, as though it's alive and watching your child. Little kids don't do abstraction very well, so there's a very real difference between "Santa knows stuff" and "this toy, who is alive, is actively watching you." In fairness, I wasn't raised to believe that either Santa or God was real, and when my kid gets old enough to care I certainly don't plan to tell him either one is the case, so maybe it's just that I'm not acclimatized to it.

edit: I'm not saying no kids should believe in Santa or God, because that's not how I feel. I do think there are redeeming elements to both a belief in Santa and a belief in God that the Elf of the Shelf lacks.

Dogfish fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 14, 2016

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dogfish posted:

I do, however, think there's an extra layer of unfortunateness between "Santa will know if you belong on the naughty list or the nice list" (and also "God is everywhere and knows if you sin") and meticulously moving and posing a toy every night to make it appear, in a tangible way, as though it's alive and watching your child.

wait what? I thought it was just a decoration that you put on a shelf, with a bunch of fake "tradition" behind it. I didn't realize people tried to make their kids think it was actually alive.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

Would Cain have killed Able if there was an elf watching?

Depends on what presents were on the line.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Mak0rz posted:

Time to plug one of my favorite underappreciated Floyd albums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWhOd0ENVS8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPSb5QjgjAc

I guess the lyrics of Free Four might disqualify it.

v Edit: Yeah most songs on The Piper at the Gates of Dawn are pretty upbeat and folky.

Pink Floyd was a different band before Waters took most creative control and stuffed their music with depressing lyrics alluding to his dad dying in the War. :v:

Thanks (to all). I just never thought of them doing anything other than creating "Albums to Commit Suicide By".

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Trapick posted:

We're all being constantly surveilled, wake up sheeple!

It's not exactly untrue :v:

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Earwicker posted:

wait what? I thought it was just a decoration that you put on a shelf, with a bunch of fake "tradition" behind it. I didn't realize people tried to make their kids think it was actually alive.

Yeah, that's the point - you move it each night so the kid thinks it's alive. And the kid's not allowed to touch the elf because its magic will disappear. It's pretty hosed up.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Dogfish posted:

I also think there's some creepy as hell stuff around Santa, especially the non-North American Santa equivalents. (Oh, Sinterklaas is going to take the bad little children to Spain and turn them into cookies that the good children can eat? That seems fine and not horrifying.)

Have you ever read the original versions of most European fairy tales? They are gory and sadistic and cruel as gently caress. The versions we're familiar with today are sanitised and prettified to fit in with modern expectations of what is acceptable for children.
This HuffPo article talks about them.
Also here's some translations of original versions

Helith fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 15, 2016

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Many of them seem to be to be actually scarier untranslated than translated - I found Grimm's much, er, grimmer in German than in any English version I've ever read. Something seems to get lost in translation.

I think it's less that today's versions are "sanitized" and more that a story about a severed finger chasing a robber bridegroom around is more jarring when you live in the current era and don't see death everywhere all the time, so it makes less sense to tell to little children. Reams could be (and have been) written about how the emerging idealized idea of childhood affected the mythologies we are and aren't willing to share with small people, but I also think that it's just a matter of what resonates with one's daily experience. If you've had several siblings and maybe a parent die, a gruesome story isn't so shocking. If the scariest thing you've ever seen is a dead raccoon by the side of the road, a story about roasting to death the witch who's kidnapped you is a lot more shocking.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
There was also probably a bit of variance involved in the actual story telling. One family might only tell their kids a simpler and less violent version of a story similar to a lot of modern versions, another family might go full gore, and a third family might tell their younger kids the lighter versions and their older kids the gory versions.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Also they weren't strictly children's stories originally either.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Ariel never got her legs but you can see her in Copenhagen bay, the little match girl died (thanks again Hans) Cinderella's stepmother died from dancing in hot shoes.

The less said about Pocahontas the better.

And Jack, well, don't tell your kids the Jack stories.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

fishmech posted:

There was also probably a bit of variance involved in the actual story telling. One family might only tell their kids a simpler and less violent version of a story similar to a lot of modern versions, another family might go full gore, and a third family might tell their younger kids the lighter versions and their older kids the gory versions.

The old timey version of parents that let their kids watch HBO whenever vs the ones that just keep a few veggie tales DVDs around. Guess who's house everyone wants to go to for sleepovers?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
Since Christmas is coming up. Does anybody have suggestions for what to buy a 5 a year old girl that already has everything, within a reasonable price range.

Difficulty: No Barbies or Legos allowed.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Dec 15, 2016

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My wife and I are buying a home and closing on December 30th. Our first mortgage payment won't be due until February 1. Are there any forms or information I will need to include or review when I file my 2016 taxes, even though we haven't made any payments yet?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Assuming the death penalty is OK (let's not get into that), why aren't people simply executed with a massive overdose of the compounds used in general anesthesia? I see that anesthesia is almost always used in lethal injections, but I also see procurement problems of the actually "lethal" chemicals. Essentially, why not just go full GA and not act?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

thrakkorzog posted:

Difficulty: No ... Legos allowed.

What kind of cruel parents does this child have?

A 5 year old girl can be hard to buy for because they change their minds so quick at that age as to what is "cool" and not.

Something educational but still fun maybe? Something like this perhaps? Though that may be too advanced for a 5 year old still. But could be great for something a parent can do together with the child.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

baquerd posted:

Assuming the death penalty is OK (let's not get into that), why aren't people simply executed with a massive overdose of the compounds used in general anesthesia? I see that anesthesia is almost always used in lethal injections, but I also see procurement problems of the actually "lethal" chemicals. Essentially, why not just go full GA and not act?

The idea with the current set of drugs they use is that it should kill the person a lot faster than waiting for a general anesthesia overdose to take effect.

There's also that most of the states still doing lethal injection are pretty stubborn. If a state really cared about just killing someone the quickest and safest way, they'd all be using sealed chambers that you pump full of inert gas. It basically kills very quick with 0 pain, and you don't need to rely on medical suppliers to get access to argon and nitrogen.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

thrakkorzog posted:

Since Christmas is coming up. Does anybody have suggestions for what to buy a 5 a year old girl that already has everything, within a reasonable price range.

Difficulty: No Barbies or Legos allowed.

See if anything at FatBrainToys.com or Seedling.com appeals to you. They are good about specifying age ranges for their products.

Most toy stores carry the plastic animal figurines by Schleich, which are beloved by little girls of my acquaintance and are very good quality. The Audobon Society makes (licenses, I suppose) these cute stuffed birds that play recordings of their songs when you press their stomachs.

If you want to go with books, anything by Mo Willems is good. The Pigeon series is popular with that age. The Olivia books (forget the author; Olivia is a very headstrong pig) are widely beloved.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

baquerd posted:

Major drug companies prohibit the use of their products in executions and there are export restrictions on drugs used for execution, so there's great reluctance to use medications that are essential to patient care because of the risk of disrupting the supply chain. Missouri was planning to use propofol in its executions, but changed its mind after the US's largest supplier of the drug issued a warning that doing so might trigger export sanctions that would mean the drug wasn't available for legitimate medical use.

People also have unpredictable adverse reactions to anaesthetics and particularly to overdoses. It would be a bit rough if you intended to painlessly kill someone and instead ended up with someone hallucinating and vomiting uncontrollably while not being dead. It can take a long time for them to die, too: up to a couple of hours for someone to die from, say, a barbiturate overdose, which is unappealing for obvious reasons.

edit: I looked it up, and apparently some states like Georgia and Missouri do use a large dose of a single drug now. I couldn't find out more information; many states now zealously guard the secret of who supplies them with their lethal injection drugs.

second edit: The more I read, the crazier it gets. Because of drug shortages, apparently some states have passed legislation governing what to do if you can't get lethal injection drugs but you have someone who needs to be executed. Oklahoma now allows for inhalation of nitrogen gas (painless and effective), but Utah went in the opposite direction and legislated a FIRING SQUAD as their plan B.

Dogfish fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 15, 2016

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah, capital punishment is generally regarded as barbaric by the places that produce the drugs used in capital punishment so a lot of shady practices go into getting the drugs. If any of the legitimate suppliers find out what their drugs are being used for, they basically start an embargo.

There was a great More Perfect episode about this a couple of months ago. I really recommend it if you're at all interested.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
I'm super interested now, and will check out that link. Thanks!

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Do people in Gibraltar or the Falklands have an accent or use now-archaic British phrases?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I was in the Falklands for two weeks in late 1999 and the locals were basically "rural Englishman" accent to me. I mostly spent time with soldiers though, and they just had whatever English accent they grew up with.

Gibraltar is a tourist hub and gets more than ten million visitors a year, so I doubt very much they speak in any way archaic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Can anyone explain the meme 'hosed up tiny horse'? I have seen it around the forums and tried googling the phrase but didn't find anything useful.