Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CommonShore posted:

These next few years' worth of Doctor Who may prove a bit of a slog....

You're in the worst season now, Trial is a bit better and once you're past Time and the Rani, Sly's run is pretty good. It's all fine, honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CommonShore posted:

These next few years' worth of Doctor Who may prove a bit of a slog....

The last series has two of the best stories of the whole run

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Fil5000 posted:

You're in the worst season now, Trial is a bit better and once you're past Time and the Rani, Sly's run is pretty good. It's all fine, honest.

Time and the Rani is not all fine

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Time and the Rani is not all fine

It's very bad, but I get a kick out of how dumb it is.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The last series has two of the best stories of the whole run

It's also so consistent that I don't even have a comedy answer for which ones, unlike nearly every other season of the series.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Season 22 is engaging as a sort of experiment- they were exploring a darker tone and protagonist as well as wrestling with a new format, and while it doesn't all work I feel like it's a shame it was cut off so abruptly.

Season 24 is the weakest, working both under heavy time pressure and the pressure to keep it "kid friendly" even more than the season before.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

vegetables posted:

I can't think of any Who story which seriously considers that the Cybermen might have a point, and might be better at being civilised than we are. I think that could be done really well, as monsters that want to change who and what you are are much scarier if there's a sense that they're right to do so.

I did read one novel (I think it was a NA?) that has a character who is a fangirl of Cyberman & the Cyberman empires, and who willingly becomes a Cyberman.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Everything I saw reminded me of her

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

greententacle posted:

I did read one novel (I think it was a NA?) that has a character who is a fangirl of Cyberman & the Cyberman empires, and who willingly becomes a Cyberman.

Steve Lyons' Killing Ground. An MA, but published by Virgin back when they had the licence.

The sequence where she gets converted is pretty good -- she's so thrilled to become a Cyberman, but the conversion process removes her ability to appreciate what she's become.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Open Source Idiom posted:

Steve Lyons' Killing Ground. An MA, but published by Virgin back when they had the licence.

The sequence where she gets converted is pretty good -- she's so thrilled to become a Cyberman, but the conversion process removes her ability to appreciate what she's become.

Thank you. I remember reading about that in DWM when it first came out, but haven't been able to figure out which book it was.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Okay, which one of you asked this?
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/809068520403243008

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like "The Web Planet". It was something like the third or fourth Hartnell story that got a DVD release ("The Aztecs" and "The Dalek Invasion of Earth" were the first two and I'm pretty sure "Web Planet" was number three, at least.)

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

He missed the opportunity to hit the camera with his hand when he said "mandibles."

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Open Source Idiom posted:

Jesus, I had totally forgotten that one. Grim as gently caress, particularly that sequence you just described.

The only thing I remember about Real Time is the sheer absurdity of Stewart Lee being transformed into a Cyberman, and still sounding like Stewart Lee.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I kinda expected him to grab the camera and start shaking it at the end, demanding to know where the Zarbi were :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Somewhere out there, Nick Briggs is seeing this and saying "whelp, if Steven's not gonna do it..."

:getin:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Astroman posted:

Somewhere out there, Nick Briggs is seeing this and saying "whelp, if Steven's not gonna do it..."

Briggs: Hello Peter, look I've thought long and hard about this and I've finally come up with what I think is a winning strategy to convince you to sign on to do some Doctor Who audios-
Capaldi: You do Doctor Who audios? Sign me up! :neckbeard:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Briggs: Hello Peter, look I've thought long and hard about this and I've finally come up with what I think is a winning strategy to convince you to sign on to do some Doctor Who audios-
Capaldi: You do Doctor Who audios? Sign me up! :neckbeard:

Pfft, please, like he's not already a subscriber. :rolleyes:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I decided to go ahead and pick up The Sontarans. It's pretty neat so far! This is my first dip into the Early Adventures line (I grabbed the first series when they were on sale earlier this year but they're still pretty deep down the Big Finish pile :sweatdrop:) and the mixed narration/full-cast format makes the story feel like it fits right in with the others of its era in terms of stylistic similarity to the soundtrack-with-linking-narration releases of the missing episodes. There have been sequences I couldn't really picture making it into the show as aired in the 60s, but Peter Purves narrating a full cast performance with music and foley makes it feel right at home alongside the likes of The Mythmakers or The Daleks' Master Plan (which this of course takes part in the middle of).

I think this is the most effective the Sontarans have ever been. They were surprisingly competent in their appearance in the third War Doctor set earlier this year, but they have a really imposing, menacing presence in this story that I don't really think they've had anywhere else.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Web Planet is one of those stories, I think, that you can acknowledge is incredibly dated but still appreciate it for how incredible it is. Many of the insects look more than a bit goofy, and the Zarbi themselves do really impressive work but feel more like they're working for stage theater than a film story in which someone has smeared Vaseline on the lens. A lot of the more clever stuff about production feels both old hat and silly now, but compare it to some of the later stuff and you have to say, "You know, for their budget and their time period, they did some really amazing things." I think it helps to watch it as part of a sort of Hartnell binge watch than watching it individually. I really, really like it, and it does manage to make the heroes feel lost, in danger, and trying to figure out what's going on and get back together.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Astroman posted:

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/return-to-the-web-planet-455

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Maelstache posted:

Jesus, I had totally forgotten that one. Grim as gently caress, particularly that sequence you just described.

The only thing I remember about Real Time is the sheer absurdity of Stewart Lee being transformed into a Cyberman, and still sounding like Stewart Lee.

Don't forget CyberLee being sad that Space Herring's head got crushed.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Box of Bunnies posted:

I decided to go ahead and pick up The Sontarans. It's pretty neat so far! This is my first dip into the Early Adventures line (I grabbed the first series when they were on sale earlier this year but they're still pretty deep down the Big Finish pile :sweatdrop:) and the mixed narration/full-cast format makes the story feel like it fits right in with the others of its era in terms of stylistic similarity to the soundtrack-with-linking-narration releases of the missing episodes. There have been sequences I couldn't really picture making it into the show as aired in the 60s, but Peter Purves narrating a full cast performance with music and foley makes it feel right at home alongside the likes of The Mythmakers or The Daleks' Master Plan (which this of course takes part in the middle of).

I think this is the most effective the Sontarans have ever been. They were surprisingly competent in their appearance in the third War Doctor set earlier this year, but they have a really imposing, menacing presence in this story that I don't really think they've had anywhere else.

If you've never heard any of the Peter Purves Missing/Early Adventures, then this is just the beginning for you. His Hartnell is bar none the best, right up there with Frazier's Troughton. He's done a ton of great stories and it's like your in 1965.

Should have known! "BIG FINISH DID IT" is like "SIMPSONS DID IT" at this point!

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Box of Bunnies posted:

I was really disappointed they didn't design a 60s-esque Sontaran for the cover, even though I know that's not a realistic thing to demand or expect.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Latest story is that Matt Lucas will "stick around to be the Doctor's 'valet' in season 10."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The best part of the web planet is when they have the ant guys in the fibreglass costumes run in circles around a piece of set to make it look as if a huge endless stream of them is running across the screen when they only made like 5 costumes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Barf.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Matt's the best.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Huh.

https://twitter.com/andr3wsmith/status/808818644742500353

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
My innocence! Shattered!

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Man if I was about to see Sutekh the Destroyer appear on my wall I'd swear too.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If he's used sparingly enough, this could actually work. It sounds like he's basically going to be an inefficient K-9. At least there will be more than one companion again!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well it's.... novel. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LordZoric posted:

Man if I was about to see Sutekh the Destroyer appear on my wall I'd swear too.

Sutekh's face in that episode is really weird. He looks sort of like a camel or something, then he's a jackal when Scarman's face becomes Sutekh's in episode four.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Calling it now, Matt Lucas is playing Kamelion.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

Calling it now, Matt Lucas is playing Kamelion.

Don't condemn the poor man to death!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

LordZoric posted:

Man if I was about to see Sutekh the Destroyer appear on my wall spending enough time with Tom Baker I'd swear too.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

man I've heard mixed things about John Levene in the past but I didn't realize until listening to the newest Big Finish podcast that he was such a loving kook

even in the photo Nick looks slightly afraid

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Care to elucidate a little?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like Matt Lucas but wasn't terribly keen on his character in the last Christmas special. Maybe he just needs more room, which he will hopefully get if he's in more than one episode? :shrug:

• Locked thread