Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I think my favorite part about reading some actual non-fawning pieces about Obama's legacy over the past week is realizing his view of the world is basically Bill Cosby "pull up your pants"

Yeah, for real. I don't know if people have forgotten that or just repressed it, but he would throw that poo poo out there whenever it was even slightly on whatever topic. Bugged the hell out of me.

On top of that when he called the Baltimore protestors thugs after Freddie Gray was killed... Barry left me heated for quite some time.

To marjoran since I don't know how to multi quote on the phone: fair play, he is a goofy lookin dude. Good writing though, I've read his stuff on the intercept in the past.

Every passing day, the realization that Trump really is going to be our next president gets harder and harder to stomach. I'm only an occasional poster so no one jump on me for criticizing Obama. He's the best president we've had in the depressingly narrow confines of modern American politics, but the whole poo poo is a mess and has been since Reagan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

loquacius posted:

Mark Zuckerberg is at the dead-last bottom on my list of tech people I'd like to see in political roles (ok he's actually a rank above Notch and the Uber guy but I think that's it) so I'm not surprised he's at the top of some Third-Way journalist's list

Even libertarian vampire Peter Thiel?

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

He will be president until he dies.

February 2019 is pretty soon tbh.

Man looks unhealthy.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

loquacius posted:

Lowtax could run, that'd be funny at least

After those unity games I think he could handle the demands of the trail and the job

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

:barf:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Ok, amend that statement to "my list of tech people who are actually famous for being tech people"

wait I just remembered Larry Ellison exists, that's another one

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

loquacius posted:

Mark Zuckerberg is at the dead-last bottom on my list of tech people I'd like to see in political roles (ok he's actually a rank above Notch and the Uber guy but I think that's it) so I'm not surprised he's at the top of some Third-Way journalist's list

I might even donate to Bill Gates if he ran, depending on his platform and which issues he emphasized in stump speeches, because I have a huge crush on him and frequently practice my signature with my future married surname of "Gates" in between doodles of hearts containing our initials. But please no Zuck.

Lowtax could run, that'd be funny at least
Trump should have invited Radium, to his tech giant expo, no one could have done the things he did. no one else. no one else could have even thought of them.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

loquacius posted:

Ok, amend that statement to "my list of tech people who are actually famous for being tech people"

Paul Allen 2020!!

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009
Did y'all see the tech companies response to "would you cooperate with the Trump administration on a Muslim registry"?

Microsoft gave a half assed answer, twitter gave a solid no, all the other 7 just said "no comment"

Basically my point is gently caress Mark Zuckerberg and gently caress him once again for letting his site be a platform for crazy hicks to jerk each other off over the pope endorsing trump or Hillary killing people with her secret penis.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mixodorian posted:

Yeah, for real. I don't know if people have forgotten that or just repressed it, but he would throw that poo poo out there whenever it was even slightly on whatever topic. Bugged the hell out of me.

On top of that when he called the Baltimore protestors thugs after Freddie Gray was killed... Barry left me heated for quite some time.

Remember when Obama wouldn't exercise a presidential pardon to spare Troy Davis? A lot of people have forgotten about that, but they're sure as gently caress going to remember Chelsea Manning.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

loquacius posted:

don't forget emotional wife abusing, union hatin' space fanboy elon musk

An actual Elon Musk quote posted:

“It’s not out of the question to have unions, but if there’s going to be a union, they’d better understand that they’re on the same side as the company,” he added. “I’m against having a two-class system where you’ve got the workers and then the managers, sort of like nobles and peasants…

“Most of our experienced factory workers come from unionized environments, and we asked them what benefit did they see in unions,” he added. “They said, ‘Well, if their boss was an rear end in a top hat, they had recourse.’

“I said, ‘Let’s make a rule: There will be no assholes.’ I fired someone for being an rear end in a top hat. And I only had to do that once, actually.”

the fact that many on the center-left see elon musk as a "good guy" because he likes space and makes electric cars is infuriating to me

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ok ok I amend my previous post to instead retroactively say "I really like Bill Gates and want to make kisses with him, and if Tim Cook ran he probably wouldn't screw the country up as badly as he screwed up Apple Computer Inc, and Eric Schmidt would probably put us in space a lot more which would be cool"

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

NumberLast posted:

Paul Allen 2020!!

On one hand iffy health and only a so-so record of making good hires, on the other hand it would maybe help the Blazers (and Seahawks I guess) recruit better free agents.

So I'm onboard.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the fact that elon musk is pretty much "as good as it gets" wrt insane billionaires with aspirations into politics shows how bankrupt capitalism is as a moral and ethical pillar

Serf
May 5, 2011

down with all capitalists imo

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Majorian posted:

I take a couple weeks off from posting and come back to find that CSPAM has gotten all serious. It's unsettling!

Majoran just got back from the gym, yall.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I remember when "republican vampire" was just a Mission Hill joke

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

at times at hate silicon valley more then wall street because wall street knows deep down they are monsters while silicon valley earnestly believes their solutionism will help the world

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

My wife is crash starting new data privacy protocols at work because she frequently works with undocumented data and wants to keep it as safe as possible in the event of a nightmare scenario like the government asking for it. Turns out those protocols didn't exist before because no one ever thought it was a serious concern!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the fact that elon musk is pretty much "as good as it gets" wrt insane billionaires with aspirations into politics shows how bankrupt capitalism is as a moral and ethical pillar

Elon Musk would be a great president on the issues of research funding, space exploration, education reform, and energy policy, and probably a really bad president on every other issue in existence, but those four things would be great

Serf
May 5, 2011

Elon Musk joining Trump's team is great because I love being right

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

billionaires are just as susceptible to being cowards as anyone else

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

billionaires are just as susceptible to being cowards as anyone else

They're actually better at it, because they loathe the idea of losing anything.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Wait I forgot about the wonderful world of :pcgaming: OPEN SOURCE :pcgaming:

On day one of the Richard Stallman administration, a bill is forced through Congress which finally outlaws breakfast for good

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Not a Step posted:

My wife is crash starting new data privacy protocols at work because she frequently works with undocumented data and wants to keep it as safe as possible in the event of a nightmare scenario like the government asking for it. Turns out those protocols didn't exist before because no one ever thought it was a serious concern!

HOOOOOOW. The patriot act has been around since 2001!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

also Obama has been a huge disappointment to me, I mean I didn't exactly expect the government to ever be useful or effective but you'd think the first black president would give more of a poo poo than he actually did

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I remember when "republican vampire" was just a Mission Hill joke

penis, penis, penis, penis, penis

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

wall street: more money for us, gently caress you *gets rich, fucks people over*

silicon valley: we're going to Change The World and Solve Problems *gets rich, fucks people over*

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

loquacius posted:

Elon Musk would be a great president on the issues of research funding, space exploration, education reform, and energy policy, and probably a really bad president on every other issue in existence, but those four things would be great

I'mma stop you right there, bro, because a billionaire like Musk would think the best way to resolve those problems would be through public-private partnerships & contracting.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

loquacius posted:

the Richard Stallman administration
:chloe:

that's all i'm gonna say about that one

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Zikan posted:

don't forget emotional wife abusing, union hatin' space fanboy elon musk

the fact that many on the center-left see elon musk as a "good guy" because he likes space and makes electric cars is infuriating to me

lol yeah, the workers are the nobles and their managers are the peasants :jerkbag:

gently caress anyone who idolizes CEOs and bootstrap culture

Serf
May 5, 2011

Elon Musk: *is a nerd who makes electric cars, does space stuff and wants UBI*

Elon Musk: *is also an anti-union billionaire*

Liberals: :swoon:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

NumberLast posted:

Did I imagine that op ed encouraging Zuckerburg to run in 2020? Cause I'd like to believe I did.

Please let it be by Justine Tunney.:allears:

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Majoran just got back from the gym, yall.

Indeed. A couple week-long gym sesh, weaklings.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Remember when Obama wouldn't exercise a presidential pardon to spare Troy Davis? A lot of people have forgotten about that, but they're sure as gently caress going to remember Chelsea Manning.

I really wonder if Obama even thought about pardoning him. Part of me thinks he did but was afraid of being seen as "the negroes are teaming up", and the other thinks it never even crossed his mind. No idea which is worse.

Obama NEVER stuck out his neck even a millimeter when black Americans specifically needed help. The usual response to that I get is the My Brothers Keeper program but that really ain't poo poo.

On top of that, black politicians didn't pressure him to do the right thing when presented with the opportunity either, so the blame isnt only on him.

I was way more impressed with Holder. Very few complaints about him and he wasn't afraid to speak up.

TNC used to be way quicker to call Obama on his fuckery, and the fuckery was pretty consistent, but I think once dude saw we were getting either Hillary or Trump he couldn't bear to be too harsh on Obama anymore.

I fully understand that feeling, but it doesn't make for good journalism.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Elon Musk always struck me as insane in a Howard Hughes kind of way, as opposed to Peter Thiel who strikes me as insane in the same way as that one Nazi woman who made lampshades out of people

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

President Stallman refuses to go by any name other than "rms" or wear shoes that are not flip-flops; he has set up his personal chambers in the White House computer lab (he turned the mural room into a computer lab) and will only leave this room in cases of national emergency. First-timers to the Stallman White House might ask how he showers. Ho ho, what a silly question!

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

OWLS! posted:

HOOOOOOW. The patriot act has been around since 2001!

Its a relatively small organization, and most of its existence has been in the Obama years. They just genuinely didn't think there was a chance they would ever face a government demand for data on their clients.

The relative lack of data security is apparently also a thing in academia, where much of the information gathered on the undocumented for studies or whatever isn't sufficiently anonymized or kept separate beyond the minimums.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

paranoid randroid posted:

Elon Musk always struck me as insane in a Howard Hughes kind of way, as opposed to Peter Thiel who strikes me as insane in the same way as that one Nazi woman who made lampshades out of people

he's just as much of a sociopath as the rest of them, read about how he horribly treated his first wife (or don't if you want to have something resembling a good day)

Bill Buckner
Aug 14, 2005
Capitalism is good and we should burn commies for energy to power the white house!

America must be purified of radical leftist saboteurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Not a Step posted:

Its a relatively small organization, and most of its existence has been in the Obama years. They just genuinely didn't think there was a chance they would ever face a government demand for data on their clients.

This kind of attitude amazes me considering that Obama did *nothing* to roll back government surveillance, and the major government demands for client/user data actually started happening during the obama years.

• Locked thread