Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I mean they really couldn't let Bunny live siting down and thinking on it. Having her and Maggie both able to cast would have been too powerful... That said I still didn't see this coming and reading the experience of a unit being wiped from existence by the baddie spell... On top of that, the pain that must come from it. Caeser was fully prepared to die, but I don't think he was prepared for Bunny to die.

EDIT: If Bunnies remains are still there, she can be decrypted if she can be decrypted, that opens a new plot avenue, and explains why we had to tak esome time to confirm the Pliers have been stolen, to bring the plots all in together. Jillian will attack Transylvito (because Don has been assassinated), Caeser needs the pliers to bring back Bunny, which means they need to get Wanda back, and things start to wrap up.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
IIRC the terms of badness were that using forbidden magic would cause her to disband, and disbanded units don't leave a corpse. If I'm misremembering, then maybe having her entire identity unraveled means the Arkenpliers would just bring back a mindless husk. Either way, this feels like a permanent end.

Caidin posted:

Didn't you need multiple thinkamancers to do the string cut kill or was that just for doing it at range?

That's just for range. It was established that a single Thinkamancer could do it by touch, but that it's supposed to be a secret (hence why the spell wiped her out).

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Caidin posted:

If you popped an heir that a royal started production on, but the side transitioned out of royalty in the interim, would it still be a royal?

The equivalent realworld version would be one of those child kings with a vizier or whatever appointed to make decisions 'in their interest' until they came of age. May not be applicable.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Today is the 10th anniversary of Erfworld, apparently. That was one heck of a way to celebrate it.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
My guess would be they would use the 3 remaining casters to link up or work together and try to put the remaining strings into a doll, or moll, in an effort or attempt to at least save something of her.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SugarAddict posted:

My guess would be they would use the 3 remaining casters to link up or work together and try to put the remaining strings into a doll, or moll, in an effort or attempt to at least save something of her.

Would Maggie have the juice? has turn officially started for Transylvito? I guess she could tap Jeb for juice... Oh.

Or there's the Bunny doll that Bill made, the one in the basement.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Page is up, with about what you'd expect.

Nice clothes though.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Vanna seems more interested in the thinkamancer bullshit that just happened than worried about her own chances of survival here, to judge by that cocked eyebrow. Good think Charlie already knew about that particular trick, I suppose.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
nah

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Corpses are intact. I think newly-promoted Overlord Caesar might be persuaded to participate in helping rescue Wanda and retrieve the 'pliers.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

That would complicate things quite a bit. Resurrecting Bunny would probably be the fastest way to piss off the Thinkamancer council, considering in their eyes she's a repeat offender who just leaked state secrets to like three sides.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Bobulus posted:

That would complicate things quite a bit. Resurrecting Bunny would probably be the fastest way to piss off the Thinkamancer council, considering in their eyes she's a repeat offender who just leaked state secrets to like three sides.

"Leave her be and in return, as ruler of Transylvito, I will order every witness to sign a NDA on what happened." Assuming Charlie isn't the only one who can write those NDAs.

e: "Also, when I eventually kill you all for what you did to my woman, I will do it quickly."

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm not saying it's impossible, just that it would complicate things. Especially because we've seen resurrection gets you out of NDAs and other obligations, like what happened with Jack's knowledge of his time with Faq. A resurrected Bunny would be under no obligations to the other Thinkamancers, would probably be justifiably pissed at them for the obligations they kept her under for so long, has already showed she's willing to kill even her own ruler under the right circumstances, and likes to tinker. She'd become basically the unabomber of thinkamancers.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
You're listing a bunch of things that make her return a lot juicer, narratively, than her staying dead.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I may have been misinterpreting that last bit with the all state judge but aren't the great minds about to pull some bullshit anyway? Long term relations with them may not be a priority before long.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Caidin posted:

I may have been misinterpreting that last bit with the all state judge but aren't the great minds about to pull some bullshit anyway? Long term relations with them may not be a priority before long.

Yeah the last we saw of them they were talking about "tying up loose ends", including potentially killing Parson.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

One really good point from the forums:

quote:

Regarding having Wanda decrypt Bunny... this is the worst case scenario.

Those decrypted by Wanda do not retain their love interests from before. Neither Jack nor Ansom are still in love with Jillian and both say the moment that changed for them was when they were decrypted. They love Wanda now. That love seems platonic... but still. It seems all decrypted love Wanda and only Wanda. I suspect this is a facet of Wanda's personality manifesting through the pliers. An unspoken but desperate need in Wanda, perhaps.

If Bunny is decrypted her love for Caeser will not come back with her... and Caeser will find himself in love with a woman who can't love him back. This would be utter torment for Caesar. As much as Caesar might say he wants her back what he would actually get back, in at least this one way, won't be Bunny. If he is in enough pain as a result he might feel betrayed or manipulated by his new allies.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

One really good point from the forums:

There is at least one exception to that though with Ossomer. Though It seems more likely that she just won't be brought back at all.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Another counterpoint would be Ansom reflecting that he probably never actually loved Jillian, which is backed up reasonably well in retrospect. I had frankly completely forgotten Jack making a pass at Jillian -- was it actually more than that? He liked her way back when, sure, but that doesn't mean he harbored a secret flame for her still years later.

I get the sense that the Decrypted have a lot more free will than you'd expect in some ways. They are certainly bound to Wanda, but that appears to go both ways -- she's intensely possessive of her creations, which for her may well be a kind of love.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Yeah all the Attuned appear possessive of their Tool's units. It's interesting. Stanley less so, since the hammer doesn't generate the dragons and he has his Knights.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Update!

Still no end in sight for this book.

Wonder if he's going to have Vinny convert Jillian's heir and perhaps the city, leaving her to make GK her new capital. Would be kinda poetic to end the story with the reconquest of Gobwin Knob.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

nimby posted:

Update!

Still no end in sight for this book.

Wonder if he's going to have Vinny convert Jillian's heir and perhaps the city, leaving her to make GK her new capital. Would be kinda poetic to end the story with the reconquest of Gobwin Knob.

At least we didn't scene switch away and have some direction. Like I mentioned earlier. Things are converging at the trial

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Looks like Caesar is on board for Operation: Decryption.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hail Caesar.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
The only real requirement to be king is that you have more guys with swords that are willing to say that you're the king than there are guys without swords who are willing to insist that you're not the king.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

A.o.D. posted:

The only real requirement to be king is that you have more guys with swords that are willing to say that you're the king than there are guys without swords who are willing to insist that you're not the king.

I don't know if that's necessarily the case in Erfworld. Since units can pop as "noble" or "royalty" you probably need to have one of those flags to be considered a King or Queen. Even if not it'd be an especially hard argument to make with an heir about to be popped(or not).

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

That's basically what Stanley was/is going for if you replace king with divine mandate.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

One thing that's not clear is whether "Royal" is a tag a side can have that causes it to pop Royal units, or whether the term Royal only applies to units so that any side with a Royal ruler is Royal by default. If a Prince is traded to a non-Royal side and is made heir apparent, does that side become Royal? Does it become Royal when he ascends to the throne? Do you need to have a King or Queen in charge to pop Royal units? Does a Royal side with a non-Royal heir apparent cease to become Royal if every Royal unit croaks? What if only the Ruler does? Can such a side still pop Royal units?

Evidence from the comic implies to me that Royalty is a trait intrinsic to a side which causes it to pop Royals, but also that any side founded by a Royal becomes Royal. Royalty perpetuates itself. I would guess that a Royal becoming Ruler of a non-Royal side makes it Royal. Not sure how the tag can be removed, if at all. If Caesar still pops the heir, I think it will be a Prince or Princess.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

One thing that's not clear is whether "Royal" is a tag a side can have that causes it to pop Royal units, or whether the term Royal only applies to units so that any side with a Royal ruler is Royal by default. If a Prince is traded to a non-Royal side and is made heir apparent, does that side become Royal? Does it become Royal when he ascends to the throne? Do you need to have a King or Queen in charge to pop Royal units? Does a Royal side with a non-Royal heir apparent cease to become Royal if every Royal unit croaks? What if only the Ruler does? Can such a side still pop Royal units?

Evidence from the comic implies to me that Royalty is a trait intrinsic to a side which causes it to pop Royals, but also that any side founded by a Royal becomes Royal. Royalty perpetuates itself. I would guess that a Royal becoming Ruler of a non-Royal side makes it Royal. Not sure how the tag can be removed, if at all. If Caesar still pops the heir, I think it will be a Prince or Princess.

The Turnamancer's reaction certainly implies that the heir will still be Royal, and that whether the side stays Royal depends on whether he takes over as Overlord or as Regent- in the later case Royalty is still in charge, in the former it's not. Gobwin Knob used to be a Royal side, but it's not now that it has an Overlord instead of a King, so Overlords taking over seem to remove the tag. Whether a side can become Royal hasn't really been explored though; from what I recall the original 99 sides were all Royal, but various sides have stopped being Royal (either because they were founded by a non-Royal like Charlie or because a non-Royal was heir). I don't think there's ever been mention of a non-Royal side becoming Royal.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Nice character page for Stanley. I feel like we're about to head into the Magic Kingdom

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I'm wondering what the meaning of 'free units' is in that last sentence. Free could be 'no longer captured', but then he goes on to write 'and is paying upkeep' so it might be free upkeep units, decrypted.

Would be a bit of a stretch to skip over the jail-break of Wanda, though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

nimby posted:

I'm wondering what the meaning of 'free units' is in that last sentence. Free could be 'no longer captured', but then he goes on to write 'and is paying upkeep' so it might be free upkeep units, decrypted.

Would be a bit of a stretch to skip over the jail-break of Wanda, though.

Meaning Parson and co. are no longer considered Prisoners of Transylvito. Caeser has released them.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Onmi posted:

Meaning Parson and co. are no longer considered Prisoners of Transylvito. Caeser has released them.

Jack is decrypted, so no upkeep.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

chippocrates posted:

Jack is decrypted, so no upkeep.

Yes and he only mentions having to pay upkeep on Parson and Maggie

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Onmi posted:

Yes and he only mentions having to pay upkeep on Parson and Maggie

I was agreeing with you...

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Is this the first mention of the Rhyme-o-mancer since the battle in Portal Park? I thought he'd been dusted with the rest of the Beans.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Is this the first mention of the Rhyme-o-mancer since the battle in Portal Park? I thought he'd been dusted with the rest of the Beans.

No, we've seen that Boromir survived.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Did I miss something? Where was he mentioned?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Huh, I missed him there.

That page would have been a really good place to end the book, or at least to insert a chapter break or something.

Kyte posted:

Did I miss something? Where was he mentioned?

In Bonnie's list of major assets big good things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I remember really disliking this comic back when it was hosted on the OotS site, but I've been giving it a glance now and then thanks to this thread and it's growing on me some. Might give it another chance over the holiday break.