Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
After participating in the comic book bubble of the 90s and seeing how little the 'investments' I made as a kid are worth now, I take really skeptical view of these things as money makers.

Buy the ones you get satisfaction out of now, and if you get anything out of them in the long term count that as a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would guess that's because comic books were known to be an "investment" and the publishers ramped up the printing to cash in on it.

Lego has not gotten to that point, they make a number of legitimately scarce sets every year and any time you got a shortage of supply a reseller going to be able to do okay. Not "earn a living" okay but they will definitely see a return.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Rogue One was surprisingly good considering my low expectations (B+), so now I've decided I do actually need Krennic's shuttle. Unless someone can talk me out of it? It looks nice from the pictures and I'm a sucker for the star wars shuttles.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Lizard Combatant posted:

Rogue One was surprisingly good considering my low expectations (B+), so now I've decided I do actually need Krennic's shuttle. Unless someone can talk me out of it? It looks nice from the pictures and I'm a sucker for the star wars shuttles.

My mental gymnastics for not wanting it is that it's Not Really Iconic Yet™ and therefore not worth my money as a display. There are plenty of ways to go about making a ship that looks like a derivative of an OT shop and that's what Krennic's shuttle feels like to me.

It does have cool angles and a lot of black plates though. So you do you. The figs that come with it are stellar.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Zodack posted:

My mental gymnastics for not wanting it is that it's Not Really Iconic Yet™ and therefore not worth my money as a display. There are plenty of ways to go about making a ship that looks like a derivative of an OT shop and that's what Krennic's shuttle feels like to me.

It does have cool angles and a lot of black plates though. So you do you. The figs that come with it are stellar.

And it likely won't ever become an iconic ship, despite its strengths I expect the film to date poorly.
But I loved the look of the ship, Mendelsohn's character (and as an actor) and K-2SO's design and portrayal, so I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this. How to display it is going to be the tricky part.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
There's no shame in displaying something in the landed position, imo. Helps with space, and it isn't as if it's a non-canon look for the ship.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Zodack posted:

There's no shame in displaying something in the landed position, imo. Helps with space, and it isn't as if it's a non-canon look for the ship.

A lot of Star Wars ships look infinitely better in-flight, though. Slave I is a pretty ugly lump just sitting on display. If the UCS didn't come with a sturdy stand, I probably wouldn't have bought it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Batman CMF total strikeout today in Northern Seattle. :\

Just FYI.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

A lot of Star Wars ships look infinitely better in-flight, though. Slave I is a pretty ugly lump just sitting on display. If the UCS didn't come with a sturdy stand, I probably wouldn't have bought it.

Yeah pretty much all of them look less cool in landed mode. B-wing, X-wing slave 1, Tyderium...I build stands for any ship I put on the shelf so they can spread their wings like the special flowers they are.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Feenix posted:

Batman CMF total strikeout today in Northern Seattle. :\

Just FYI.

I have a feeling they are not supposed to be put out until 1/1. The stores that already have broke street date.

This is based on the 1/1 sale date from Lego.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Waltzing Along posted:

I have a feeling they are not supposed to be put out until 1/1. The stores that already have broke street date.

This is based on the 1/1 sale date from Lego.

Oh, yeah, I know that. But it's an extremely common occurrence for Target, TrU, and others to release early.

In fact, it's so accepted, that when I hail-mary emailed Lego to see if I could buy some early for my kid's Bday, they were very sorry to say the could not, but that oftentimes Target and other stores do. So even Lego suggested that.

Targets have had new CMF series months early before.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Goddamnit Brexit. :argh:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/dec/14/lego-to-raise-its-prices-in-uk-from-january-sterling

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Strikeout on Batman CMF in northern Indiana too, I checked my nearest Target, Meijer and Walmart and they still have a bunch of Disney and the yellow packaged ones

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You're not wrong, but I would say Slave 1 is a special case as a ship that lands on its back. They would have been crazy to sell that without the stand. It's also one of my favorite sets that I own.

But for stuff like Tydirium with the nice folding wing design, I think they look great either way.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Feenix posted:

Oh, yeah, I know that. But it's an extremely common occurrence for Target, TrU, and others to release early.

In fact, it's so accepted, that when I hail-mary emailed Lego to see if I could buy some early for my kid's Bday, they were very sorry to say the could not, but that oftentimes Target and other stores do. So even Lego suggested that.

Targets have had new CMF series months early before.

2 months? drat.

I'm pretty sure most Targets have received the figs. They just don't have em out.

I checked one today that had a poo poo ton in their system. They had like 15 disney on the shelf. I asked if they were in the back and was basically told if they are back there, we have no idea where they are.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh poo poo, the green individually packaged nexo knight guy not only comes with four bananas, but also a banana-themed shield icon!!!!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh poo poo, the green individually packaged nexo knight guy not only comes with four bananas, but also a banana-themed shield icon!!!!

Such a product does not exist sir, I think you must have dreamed it.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Lepin is interesting. I watched a documentary recently and China just doesn't accept intellectual property like the West. They expect someone to copy them if they make a new thing and that's OK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp6F_ApUq-c

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Are you Donkey Kong or something?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Are you Donkey Kong or something?

I'm getting my banana hoard back

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That shits bananas.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Zodack posted:

You're not wrong, but I would say Slave 1 is a special case as a ship that lands on its back. They would have been crazy to sell that without the stand. It's also one of my favorite sets that I own.

But for stuff like Tydirium with the nice folding wing design, I think they look great either way.

Yeah, Tydirium and X-Wings aren't too bad. It really depends on how they've been presented in the films themselves. Landed X-Wings have featured in plenty of iconic moments so they don't look inherently worse when displayed that way. But something that was only really designed to be seen "in-flight", like a B-Wing? 10x better when displayed that way.

I know it's kind of impractical and would only raise the price, but I really wish Lego would put some kind of flight stand in certain sets.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 15, 2016

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think they should have warp engines.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I intend to do a landing pad for the slave 1 cause I like how it looks both ways, I think I'll just mod krennic's to be more SNOT (er... you know what I mean) on the underside of side of the wings

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

The new Star Wars Phantom with the Thrawn minifigure is going to retail at £39.99 in the UK for 270 pieces which is, frankly, a complete rip-off. I know the Star Wars stuff has a premium attached to it, but just a couple of years prior to this there was another Phantom with 240 pieces for £19.99. Doubling the price for roughly 10 % more parts is a total joke and I don't think that Brexit is a good enough excuse as this disparity in prices across the world has been in effect for years.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm just hoping the Assembly Square will stay at the advertised price it's at now and not go up Jan 1st

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

I'm just hoping the Assembly Square will stay at the advertised price it's at now and not go up Jan 1st

Ita already had a £10 price hike.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Ita already had a £10 price hike.

Yeah, I noticed they altered the price a bit ago. I pray they don't alter it any further.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
See, banana shield!

These minifig packs that come with a bunch of stuff are neat. I built a little walker dude for the knight to ride on out of them!

and toys r us sent me six of the green dude instead of 5, so now some of my bananamen can DUAL-WIELD bananas!

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

mitochondritom posted:

I don't think that Brexit is a good enough excuse as this disparity in prices across the world has been in effect for years.

Brexit is a 5% price hike on the current prices, not an excuse for the disparity that currently exists.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

See, banana shield!

These minifig packs that come with a bunch of stuff are neat. I built a little walker dude for the knight to ride on out of them!

and toys r us sent me six of the green dude instead of 5, so now some of my bananamen can DUAL-WIELD bananas!

I fear the end game of this banana obsession.

Whatever captain invictus has planned is clearly nefarious.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think the Captain needs to go whole hog on the bananas.

But seeing this is SA I feel it is imperative to point out his latent homosexuality. Unless he is gay then um...it all makes sense? poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Has anyone found anything cool to do with those little A-frame lego plates, like that grey bit that makes the base of the night's stand?

They're a really odd angle and I initially felt like they would be great for making new angles on spaceship wings but I had big trouble getting the studs to line up with anything on a standard lego grid.. I basically had to hamfist the fixes in with hinge plates which I generally don't like doing because they're a bit flimsy on their own and require a lot of reinforcement.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I just realized something: new Guardians of the Galaxy means a baby Groot minifigure means the whole Guardian crew can fit in the Milano.

:getin:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

TheMadMilkman posted:

I fear the end game of this banana obsession.

Whatever captain invictus has planned is clearly nefarious.

I know how this is going to end. Capt Invictus will come forth in his new Bananaman persona, only to run into goon Gregday, who if you read the BSS Action Figure thread, is creating his own screen accurate Batman Begins costume.

Batman v Bananaman

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
At least when it's all over and they've lived out their usefulness he can throw them on eBay for 20 grand

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ask me about that time when I called my local Target for the Batman CMFs and the guy is like "I am staring at a ton of them" (I gave him the DPCI and described them in detail only to get there and find he was pointing at some kind of Blind Bag Batman Mighty Minis.

Did you use the DPCI at all, dude?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The amount of effort you guys are going through to get some batman minifigures 2 weeks early is mildly disturbing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

It was just before the toy warehouse shut for the day, a Friday. Six minutes before 5pm, to be precise

A man and woman in a white Citroen van had been parked across the road for a long while. Noone had noticed them at the time, but police now know they had been parked on Dawson Street, Coburg North, a back street near Sydney Road, for 90 minutes. "It was a stake-out," says Constable Jon White of the Fawkner police.

Then, it happened. The Citroen suddenly lurched backwards in a high-pitched reverse through the gates of ShopforMe, a store selling mainly Lego and mainly online. However it does have a small retail store at the front of the warehouse, where Ninja J took pride of place.

The van backed up at speed, the rear doors were flung open and a woman jumped out. "Large," says Constable White, "and Caucasian. About 100 kilograms we think. About 176 centimetres tall." She ran into the shop, picked up Ninja J, ran out and leapt back into the rear of the van, which had already started accelerating.

A worker from the warehouse ran out and chased the van as it headed up Dawson Street. Constable White has seen CCTV footage of the moments that followed - "it was like a heist movie, the van takes off at speed, the woman is trying to get in the back with Ninja J, her legs are sticking out the back of the van as it heads away and she scrambles in and the doors shut and that's it."

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/like-a-heist-movie-thieves-in-a-van-kidnap-lego-ninja-from-coburg-toy-store-20161215-gtc7w5.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

veni veni veni posted:

The amount of effort you guys are going through to get some batman minifigures 2 weeks early is mildly disturbing.

My kid's party is batman themed and before the official release date. I wanted to have a bunch of these as favors.