Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

That guy is a serious hero for taking action like that. Invasive animals and plants can really devastate ecosystems.

Given the user name I'd like to point out the obvious bias here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

DogonCrook posted:

Given the user name I'd like to point out the obvious bias here.

Oh poo poo, I didn't think of the name and AV. Mods, change my name to pig killing ornithologist.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Given the island's small size and rapidly diminishing booby population, the pigs probably would have starved to death eventually anyway, with the only difference being that then the boobies would also be extinct.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

This could be unnerving or no, depending on the balance of your opinions between environmentalism and animal rights.

Clipperton Island is about 700 miles southwest of Mexico, out in the Pacific, and belongs to France. The island had a population of feral pigs to provide meat for people dropping in, but one ornithologist took exception to this, and embarked on a successful one-man pig extermination program with a shotgun:

As a slightly humorous addendum, only four years later nine fisherman got stuck on Clipperton after their boat sank, and were probably pretty annoyed to find a bunch of pig skeletons on the island yet no pork for a castaway. Fortunately they survived for the 23 days it took for a US Navy ship to rescue them.

Did he spell anything with the bodies? :colbert:

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

WickedHate posted:

Given the island's small size and rapidly diminishing booby population, the pigs probably would have starved to death eventually anyway, with the only difference being that then the boobies would also be extinct.

The island had crabs too, maybe other life (and presumably plenty of non-endangered bids), so possibly the pigs could've sustained themselves indefinitely once they ran out of boobies.

On a darker note, Clipperton also had a pretty grim episode that's kind of a cross between the Batavia Shipwreck's "Lord of the Flies but for real and with plenty of rape" and a "being the Soviet astronaut stuck in space when the government collapses.":

quote:

The British Pacific Island Company acquired the rights to guano deposits in 1906 and built a mining settlement in conjunction with the Mexican government. That same year, a lighthouse was erected under the orders of President Porfirio Díaz. By 1914 around 100 people—men, women, and children—were living there, resupplied every two months by a ship from Acapulco. With the escalation of fighting in the Mexican Revolution, the regular resupply visits ceased and the inhabitants were left to their own devices.[17]

By 1917 all but one of the male inhabitants had died. Many had perished from scurvy, while others (including Captain Arnaud) died during an attempt to sail after a passing ship to fetch help. Lighthouse keeper Victoriano Álvarez was the last man on the island, together with 15 women and children.[18] Álvarez proclaimed himself "king" and began an orgy of rape and murder, before being killed by Tirza Rendon, who was the recipient of his unwanted attention.[17] Almost immediately after Álvarez's death four women and seven children, the last survivors, were picked up by the US Navy gunship Yorktown on 18 July 1917.[17] No more attempts were made to colonize it, though it was briefly occupied during the 1930s and 1940s.

This is one of those historic "no way of knowing" moments, but I vaguely wonder how many folks back on the mainland paused to think "oh gently caress, those guys are still stuck out there with no resupply."

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Dude was willing to go to extraordinary lengths for boobies, and I can respect that.

Well, someone had to say it.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Coucho Marx posted:

Dude was willing to go to extraordinary lengths for boobies, and I can respect that.

With every pig he gunned down, he visualized the face of one of the legions of people who had made obvious jokes about his career...

EDIT: while trying to google up "man eradicates pigs island" I found a few interesting listicles about extirpating invasive species. I know Listverse is kinda generic, but they did a good job on this one and didn't include anything stupid like "#8 will blow your mind!!!" in the subtitle:

http://listverse.com/2011/11/20/10-successful-island-eradication-projects/

The key takeaway is that New Zealand is willing to poison the gently caress out of things to get rid of rats. This is what you can accomplish when you lack America's liability culture and/or are driven mad with kill-lust.

TapTheForwardAssist has a new favorite as of 07:04 on Dec 11, 2016

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Dude is a hero for taking out those feral hogs, those things are a loving menace.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

This could be unnerving or no, depending on the balance of your opinions between environmentalism and animal rights.

Clipperton Island is about 700 miles southwest of Mexico, out in the Pacific, and belongs to France. The island had a population of feral pigs to provide meat for people dropping in, but one ornithologist took exception to this, and embarked on a successful one-man pig extermination program with a shotgun:

As a slightly humorous addendum, only four years later nine fisherman got stuck on Clipperton after their boat sank, and were probably pretty annoyed to find a bunch of pig skeletons on the island yet no pork for a castaway. Fortunately they survived for the 23 days it took for a US Navy ship to rescue them.

Years later this episode provided the loose inspiration for Angry Birds.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pick posted:

Dude is a hero for taking out those feral hogs, those things are a loving menace.

And dangerous. Delicious dangerous menaces.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Ugato posted:

This is often the terrifying through-line when it comes to the death penalty. The police or people involved swear by everything that there was a confession and that the accused is guilty. Like with the Willingham trial that was mentioned a while back - Texas went through some hoops to save face and not have the evidence revisited. You could call the guy scum of the earth (he did beat his wife by everyone's accounts) but the evidence essentially proves that no crime was even committed. But the prosecutor, governor, lead police investigator and fire investigator - even some of the people in town - all just stubbornly stuck with "he got what he deserved." Truth or not.

An execution unnerved the people of Michigan so much that they became the first English speaking government in the world to outlaw it.

quote:

On Sept. 24, 1830, when Michigan was still a territory. Detroit was a dusty town of only about 2,200 people. The killer was Stephen Simmons, a tavern keeper who had been convicted of murdering his wife during a drunken quarrel. He was sentenced to die.

Within days, gallows were erected not far from Campus Martius, near Farmer Street and Gratiot, by the downtown library and the Compuware Building. There was a viewing section for the execution, a stage for a band and even a concession area. Detroit, it seemed, was throwing a party for the occasion.

As Simmons stood on the gallows, he was asked whether he had any final words. Instead of speaking, or so the story goes, he sang "Show Pity, Lord, O Lord, Forgive":

"Show pity Lord, O Lord forgive/Let a repenting rebel live.

"Are not thy mercies full and free?/May not a sinner trust in thee?

"My crimes are great, but cannot surpass/The power and glory of thy grace.

"Great God thy nature hath no bounds/So let thy pardoning love be found."

Whether moved by the hymn, the distaste for the spectacle that accompanied the hanging, or the sight of him swinging from the noose, a big push soon began in the territory to do away with capital punishment. Religious leaders in Detroit decried executions as being un-Christian. Newspapers sounded off on the barbarism. Then, a few years later, it was learned that a Detroit man had been executed in Windsor for a crime he didn't commit. Another man confessed to the crime after the innocent man had been put to death.

All of this helped lead the Legislature to pass the law outlawing capital punishment in the newly minted state. The law took effect March 1, 1847, 10 years after Michigan had joined the union.

In 1881, a movement to reinstate the death penalty grew. That June, abolitionist Sojourner Truth, who lived in Battle Creek, spoke to the Legislature: "It shocked me worse than slavery. I've heard that you are going to have hanging again in this state ... Where is the man or woman who can sanction such a thing as that? We are the makers of murderers if we do it."

Of course that doesn't stop the feds from trying to execute people in Michigan.

quote:

The last person executed in Michigan under the federal death penalty was Anthony Chebatoris, who was hanged July 8, 1938, at the federal prison in Milan after he was convicted of killing a bystander during a bank robbery in Midland.

quote:

The conviction of Marvin Gabrion received national attention when he was sentenced to death for the murder of Rachel Timmerman in Newaygo County, Michigan. Prosecutors were able to use the Dual Sovereignty Doctrine to seek a death sentence because the murder took place on federal land.[12] Gabrion is the first person in the United States to receive the federal death penalty for a crime committed in a non-death penalty state since the federal death penalty was reinstated in 1988 as well as the first person to be sentenced to death in the state of Michigan since 1937.[13] The sentence was overturned before being reinstated in 2013.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/2015/05/04/death-penalty/26879705/

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
He may be the first, but he's not the only. Alfonso Rodriguez was convicted of kidnapping Dru Sjodin, a 22-year-old college student in Grand Forks, ND, and driving her over the border to Minnesota, where he raped and murdered her. Neither state has the death penalty, but because it was a kidnapping over state lines, it's a federal case and the feds sought (and got) the death penalty. If he ever is executed, it's supposed to happen in South Dakota. The conviction was 10 years ago and the appeals process is still ongoing, so who knows what the eventual outcome will be.

AFAIK, there's still not much support here in ND for the death penalty - I think partly because of the Catholic population, and partly because of local pride in the crime rate being so low that we don't need it - but no one seemed upset about that outcome.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Dzohkar Tarnaev (Boston Marathon bomber) got the death penalty in his Federal trial even though we don't have it in Massachusetts. :smith:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Federal court, federal rules.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

AlbieQuirky posted:

Dzohkar Tarnaev (Boston Marathon bomber) got the death penalty in his Federal trial even though we don't have it in Massachusetts. :smith:

RI fought the feds over a federal death penalty case recently-ish, but I doubt anyone's going to go to bat for Tsarnaev.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

RI fought the feds over a federal death penalty case recently-ish, but I doubt anyone's going to go to bat for Tsarnaev.

It does feel gross to be a pawn in the federal government's ongoing efforts to establish a parallel shadow system to deny "terrorists" the protections of due process and the constitution, no matter how heinous his crimes. Indeed, they have to be heinous or more people would complain about the precedents being set.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If I were falsely convicted in the United States, I’d rather be sentenced to death than life in prison.

Executions can take decades to be carried out, and I stand a better chance of appeal with the death penalty hanging over my head.

No one gives a poo poo about falsely convicted persons serving life sentences.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Platystemon posted:

If I were falsely convicted in the United States, I’d rather be sentenced to death than life in prison.

Executions can take decades to be carried out, and I stand a better chance of appeal with the death penalty hanging over my head.

No one gives a poo poo about falsely convicted persons serving life sentences.
You're also a lot safer, on a day-to-day level, on death row than as a lifer. OTOH, you don't get much sunlight, exercise, or social interaction. But not getting regularly beaten and/or raped might make that worthwhile.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Zero One posted:

An execution unnerved the people of Michigan so much that they became the first English speaking government in the world to outlaw it.

Of course that doesn't stop the feds from trying to execute people in Michigan.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/2015/05/04/death-penalty/26879705/

I was raised as a Baptist and what really turned me away from it was just the constant hypocrisy I was confronted with. But I'm not trying to bring up that whole :can: here - just for context.

This is very :unsmith: for me that they had the balls to call the death penalty un-Christian. Not that it really is or isn't, specifically. I just admire them a lot for that. The rest brings me back to :smith: but that's nothing out of the ordinary when it comes to topics like this. Thanks for the story/info.

Ugato has a new favorite as of 12:27 on Dec 15, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ugato posted:

This is very :unsmith: for me that they had the balls to call the death penalty un-Christian. Not that it really is or isn't, specifically. I just admire them a lot for that. The rest brings me back to :smith: but that's nothing out of the ordinary when it comes to topics like this. Thanks for the story/info.

Yeah, same. Growing up in the south, that shits been toxic to me all my life, and positive Christianity really makes my heart warm up a little.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

a kitten posted:

Hey we had one of those in Seattle.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/murky-water-hindered-search-for-man-who-died-in-hotel-pool/

At least this poor guy didn't stay down long enough to start decomposing tho.

We had a similar one except it was in the river. It's not uncommon for there to be a couple suicides here with people jumping off bridges. Guy went missing for a few weeks and it was presumed he was in the river. Our local waterski show troupe (comprised mostly of teenagers) was practicing in their usual spot. One kid went to grab a ski that was stashed under the pier and out came the decomposed missing fella.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

WickedHate posted:

Yeah, same. Growing up in the south, that shits been toxic to me all my life, and positive Christianity really makes my heart warm up a little.

I wish positive Christianity wasn't so rare. But perhaps it just seems like it's rare because those that practice don't brag about it or bring it up.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I went to a funeral yesterday for a distant relative who had been an Anglican pastor. It was a really lovely funeral, and filled with the people whose lives he had made a difference in. And a lot of clergy members. And a bishop. Listening to all the stories of his life, it was another example of positive Christianity. Just a really decent guy doing all he could to make other people's lives better, through the medium of his religion.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There are a lot of great Christians genuinely guided by doctrine to lead good lives. We just don't tend to see them because the loudest "Christians" are often using it as a guise for some other agenda.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

bean_shadow posted:

I wish positive Christianity wasn't so rare. But perhaps it just seems like it's rare because those that practice don't brag about it or bring it up.
One of my best friends, when I met her, was super nice but also super fundamentalist Christian. Over the years she got liberalized, as she joined a gentle Christian parenting group (Christian hippies basically) and became more accepting of, e.g., gay people and atheists.

After a couple of years of that she lost her faith and now she's just a liberal heathen like me. My best friend in college, who was a Mormon? Same story, basically. Most of the "positive Christians" I've known only stopped there briefly on their way to a full deconversion.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mr. Rogers never lost his faith, and he may have been the most positive American who ever lived. :yaycloud:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

It does feel gross to be a pawn in the federal government's ongoing efforts to establish a parallel shadow system to deny "terrorists" the protections of due process and the constitution, no matter how heinous his crimes. Indeed, they have to be heinous or more people would complain about the precedents being set.

That's always going to be the problem with getting enough serious support for a constitutional amendment against the death penalty. Something like that takes a lot of people all working tirelessly for a cause, and caring enough about it that they are willing to put years of their life into it. Its tough to get enough people to do that when you look at the kinds of crimes that the typical death row inmate is in for.

Its very tough for someone(myself included) to look past the specific person you might be saving from the death penalty, and whether or not they "deserve it". Its a philosophical thing that you can't describe by looking at this case or that case, you have to just say that as a society, its not our place to decide when and when not to take a human life. As others have discussed, its not something even very religious people can seem to agree on.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would be comfortable limiting it to the sexually-motivated and/or sexually-sadistic serial killers. We can't cure them, can't help them, and they are a clear and present danger.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

whiteyfats posted:

I would be comfortable limiting it to the sexually-motivated and/or sexually-sadistic serial killers. We can't cure them, can't help them, and they are a clear and present danger.

They aren't a clear and present danger if they're in prison for the rest of their life though.

I mean, I'm never going to lose sleep over a serial killer getting the death penalty, but that's the problem I'm describing. Philosophically I think its wrong, but that feeling will never be stronger than the disgust I feel for those kind of monsters who commit heinous crimes. Its two different sides of myself and I know from experience that the "gently caress that guy, who cares if he lives or dies" side usually wins out in these situations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Basebf555 posted:

They aren't a clear and present danger if they're in prison for the rest of their life though.

I mean, I'm never going to lose sleep over a serial killer getting the death penalty, but that's the problem I'm describing. Philosophically I think its wrong, but that feeling will never be stronger than the disgust I feel for those kind of monsters who commit heinous crimes. Its two different sides of myself and I know from experience that the "gently caress that guy, who cares if he lives or dies" side usually wins out in these situations.

Honestly, for the most henious killers - your Bundys, Gacys, Ridgeways, Corlls, those types, it doesn't bother me at all. No more than putting a rabid dog down. Wait, bad analogy, it's not the dog's fault.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
With DNA testing being more of a thing these days, I hope we can better sort innocent people from the truly guilty, and sometimes even then shady things go on. There is an organization dedicated to pursuing these kind of cases (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innocence_Project) and they published a book by the same name which goes over well what kind of things can cause an innocent person to be put behind bars for decades or even be executed under faulty eyewitness testimony, bribed and crooked lab techs, and overzealous prosecutors and judges who want to be re-elected. Its a very sad but fascinating read and I highly recommend it.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

whiteyfats posted:

Honestly, for the most henious killers - your Bundys, Gacys, Ridgeways, Corlls, those types, it doesn't bother me at all. No more than putting a rabid dog down. Wait, bad analogy, it's not the dog's fault.

Problem is it looks very likely we can attribute a large portion of murders to brain damage or defects.

Also the legal definition of insanity aside, thinking a dog is satan and telling you to kill people doesnt strike me as necessarily their fault anymore than a dog biting a dude cause he has rabies.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DogonCrook posted:

Problem is it looks very likely we can attribute a large portion of murders to brain damage or defects.

Also the legal definition of insanity aside, thinking a dog is satan and telling you to kill people doesnt strike me as necessarily their fault anymore than a dog biting a dude cause he has rabies.

Son of Sam was full of poo poo, though.

The actually crazy ones - Richard Chase, for instance, are usually caught pretty quick.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

whiteyfats posted:

I don't care about those guys' lives. I DO care about giving the state the power to kill them, though. The government shouldn't be in the business of murdering people.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

whiteyfats posted:

The actually crazy ones - Richard Chase, for instance, are usually caught pretty quick.

I dunno about the specific case of the Son of Sam, but in general a lot of the Hannibal Lecter-esque serial killing genius is kind of a myth. Most would be caught pretty quick if not for dumb luck and police gently caress ups, so how long they manage to evade capture isn't great evidence for culpability. Besides, being insane doesn't always impair your ability to function in society and make plans.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

WickedHate posted:

I dunno about the specific case of the Son of Sam, but in general a lot of the Hannibal Lecter-esque serial killing genius is kind of a myth. Most would be caught pretty quick if not for dumb luck and police gently caress ups, so how long they manage to evade capture isn't great evidence for culpability. Besides, being insane doesn't always impair your ability to function in society and make plans.

As with most things the truth seems to be somewhere in the middle. If we're talking about the legal definition of insanity, there really is a big difference in how an insane killer usually operates compared to those that aren't. Someone like Richard Chase, who only killed because his schizophrenia made him believe that he needed to drink human blood to survive, was not in a position to think things through to the extent that he'd be burying bodies or trying not to leave fingerprints. His victims were targets of opportunity, because his delusions would become so powerful in certain moments that he couldn't control them. He was caught because he left giant palm prints all over his last crime scene.

A lot of famous serial killers aren't like that at all, they carefully select their victims, and that's why you see a lot of them killing prostitutes. They have places where they choose to bury bodies because they want them to be undiscovered for as long as possible. Some even have special kits that they bring to a planned murder and think every aspect of it through ahead of time. Its a very different kind of person and its much more difficult to catch a killer like that. Doesn't mean they're some sort of Hannibal Lecter-type genius though.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Another piece of an unidentified Jane Doe has been confirmed as the mother of the unidentified baby in the LISK case.

https://www.longislandpress.com/2016/12/13/unidentified-murder-victim-dubbed-peaches-linked-to-gilgo-beach-killings/

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pookel posted:

I don't care about those guys' lives. I DO care about giving the state the power to kill them, though. The government shouldn't be in the business of murdering people.

It's not murder, though, murder is the unlawful taking of a human life. It's lawful.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

whiteyfats posted:

It's not murder, though, murder is the unlawful taking of a human life. It's lawful.

:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

pookel posted:

Governments kill people all the time and in huge numbers.