Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I like Seismic Cannons better than Mining Lasers on GSC, but that's just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's not as bad as it looks--splitting Horrors can't summon

So instead of making games that involve splitting horrors literally worse than AoS it's just kinda as-bad as AoS. And remember that there's nothing stopping you from using splitting horrors to just generate a billion warp charge and hiding non-splitting horrors elsewhere to do the summoning. Or, considering the release they came with, they basically barf out infinite warp charge for Magnus. It's just a completely asinine rule on every level, if you use proxies or chits it's still terrible rules wise and if you don't it presents a second completely different problem of the sheer volume of models required to even run a single unit of splitting horrors. You thought skitarii dragoons were terrible points/$ wise? These make dragoons look like great value.

They've been making a lot of good business moves as of late, but Wrath of Magnus above all else demonstrates that there is still a complete lack of quality control regarding rules at GW and what you get in any given book is still a complete crapshoot. That said, I feel like the relevance of having good rules may be diminishing, as GW seems to have opted not to compete for the attention of the "serious gamers" courted by their competition and are instead restructuring their lines to appeal to a younger crowd, which I feel is or would be a smart move for them.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
No Horrors get Summoning, but Blue Horrors are cheap enough that you can just essentially get a free L2 Herald for every 20 Pinks you downgrade.

With AoS, I've heard that they actually have to pay points for the split horrors on the army list.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's not as bad as it looks--splitting Horrors can't summon

Who cares. They provide a ton of warp charges, can be used to block charges since the spawn at end of phase, provide even more units you have to dig out of objectives, and are just as much of pain in the rear end to kill with shooting by standing in ruins and going to ground for the 3+ reroll 1s. Thankfully you can kill them if they blink, but if they don't you get even more garbage to kill. They are a problem.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

No Horrors get Summoning, but Blue Horrors are cheap enough that you can just essentially get a free L2 Herald for every 20 Pinks you downgrade.

With AoS, I've heard that they actually have to pay points for the split horrors on the army list.

Nah bruh, they lost malefic in the Wrath of Magnus update. They only have change you can believe in.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

MasterSlowPoke posted:

No Horrors get Summoning

Really? I was under the impression the splitting horrors didn't replace the codex horrors, but were a case of "can use this or the entry in the codex" thing like is common in supplements.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Also the fact that custodes, as written, can't fire their bolters and charge. Herp derp also the ridiculous free ap2 weapons for sisters of silence

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Hra Mormo posted:

Really? I was under the impression the splitting horrors didn't replace the codex horrors, but were a case of "can use this or the entry in the codex" thing like is common in supplements.

It essentially replaces it if you want to use split. I wouldn't allow someone to talk both splitting horrors and summoning horrors in the same game.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The quality control even inside a single book is all over the place. Compare Death Guard or Emperor's Children to stuff like Night Lords (GW, Fear is nowhere near as valuable as you think it is) or Word Bearers.

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed
I've just gotten into 40k in the past couple months, and since I hate myself, I decided to play Nids. Currently our group is an experienced player with a large Tau army and a smaller CSM force, another newbie who is running mainly IG tanks and mortars, but is switching to AdMech, and his wife who is also learning with Orks. We've only had time to play 3 games so far, and obviously the fact I barely know what my units do much less what the other races can do is a big factor, but I am definitely feeling the power difference between even a friendlier Tau gunline and a horde of gaunts trying to get into fighting range.

From what I can remember, he generally runs a squad of 15-20 fire warriors, 2 squads of pathfinders, a hammerhead, a riptide, and a unit of 2 broadsides with his warlord attached and shield drones as a baseline, which moves around depending on which two of us are allied against the third as the Ork player hasn't been involved in one of our games yet. The one time we had success against him was with the IG player mainly dropping blasts from the back while I sent a Skytyrant Swarm up the middle, which allowed a couple squads of hormagaunts to sneak up the board and into assault since he had problems chewing through what were essentially 30 ablative wounds for my Flyrant.

We're playing again this weekend, my 1500 points vs 750 each of Tau and AdMech, and I'm trying to figure out a way to lose in a fun fashion, rather than just getting curbstomped like the last two times we played. I don't know what the AdMech player is running at all, probably vehicles knowing him, but I know I want to get up close and personal with the Tau and create some havoc. With that in mind, how terrible of an idea is this?

HQ:
Hive Tyrant 270pts
++Electroshock Grubs
++Twin-linked Devourer with Brainleech Worms
++Winged
++Regeneration

Troops:
Hormagaunt Brood 50pts

Tyranid Warrior Brood 100pts
++Venom Cannon

Fast Attack:
Ravener Brood 180pts
4x Raveners
++Deathspitters
++Rending Claws

Ravener Brood 180pts
4x Raveners
++Deathspitters
++Rending Claws

Ravener Brood 135pts
3x Raveners
++Deathspitters
++Rending Claws

Heavy Support:
Mawloc 140pts

Trygon 190pts

Trygon Prime 255pts
++The Miasma Cannon

Total Points: 1500

The plan is for the Flyrant and warriors to start towards the back in cover with the gaunts screening, and then bring everything else in in the back lines with the Subterranean Swarm while the Flyrant and any remaining units advance. I'm hoping between Mawloc hits, Miasma Cannon bypassing Fire Warrior armor, and volume of fire from everything else, I can pop up and deal with Fire Warriors and pathfinders quickly, and then mop up the rest the next turn in assault. I know it's risky, if I don't get my reserves turn 2 I'm in a bunch of trouble most likely, and I don't really have a grasp yet at how effective this will be so that sheer volume of fire doesn't kill everything that arrives in his backfield, but I'm trying to play around with things a bit and hoping I don't have to resort to every game being 2 Flyrants and an Exocrine to have any hope of dealing with what's getting thrown at me.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I'm just not sold that splitting horrors will break the game, because without summoning, horrors aren't that good, because they aren't nearly as dangerous if they are left alone. You can prioritize summoning targets instead. I could be wrong, but being able to summon daemons of any flavor, including ones that can summon more daemons, seems like a better deal than splitting.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It essentially replaces it if you want to use split. I wouldn't allow someone to talk both splitting horrors and summoning horrors in the same game.

My take is that a squad can be one or the other--either you paid for a splitting squad or a summoning squad, but it'd also be lovely to put both into the same army.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

FromTheShire posted:

I've just gotten into 40k in the past couple months, and since I hate myself, I decided to play Nids. Currently our group is an experienced player with a large Tau army and a smaller CSM force, another newbie who is running mainly IG tanks and mortars, but is switching to AdMech, and his wife who is also learning with Orks. We've only had time to play 3 games so far, and obviously the fact I barely know what my units do much less what the other races can do is a big factor, but I am definitely feeling the power difference between even a friendlier Tau gunline and a horde of gaunts trying to get into fighting range.

From what I can remember, he generally runs a squad of 15-20 fire warriors, 2 squads of pathfinders, a hammerhead, a riptide, and a unit of 2 broadsides with his warlord attached and shield drones as a baseline, which moves around depending on which two of us are allied against the third as the Ork player hasn't been involved in one of our games yet. The one time we had success against him was with the IG player mainly dropping blasts from the back while I sent a Skytyrant Swarm up the middle, which allowed a couple squads of hormagaunts to sneak up the board and into assault since he had problems chewing through what were essentially 30 ablative wounds for my Flyrant.

We're playing again this weekend, my 1500 points vs 750 each of Tau and AdMech, and I'm trying to figure out a way to lose in a fun fashion, rather than just getting curbstomped like the last two times we played. I don't know what the AdMech player is running at all, probably vehicles knowing him, but I know I want to get up close and personal with the Tau and create some havoc. With that in mind, how terrible of an idea is this?

HQ:
Hive Tyrant 270pts
++Electroshock Grubs
++Winged
++Regeneration

Troops:
Hormagaunt Brood 50pts

Tyranid Warrior Brood 100pts
++Venom Cannon

Fast Attack:
Ravener Brood 180pts
4x Raveners
++Deathspitters
++Rending Claws

Ravener Brood 180pts
4x Raveners
++Deathspitters
++Rending Claws

Ravener Brood 135pts
3x Raveners
++Deathspitters
++Rending Claws

Heavy Support:
Mawloc 140pts

Trygon 190pts

Trygon Prime 255pts
++The Miasma Cannon

Total Points: 1500

The plan is for the Flyrant and warriors to start towards the back in cover with the gaunts screening, and then bring everything else in in the back lines with the Subterranean Swarm while the Flyrant and any remaining units advance. I'm hoping between Mawloc hits, Miasma Cannon bypassing Fire Warrior armor, and volume of fire from everything else, I can pop up and deal with Fire Warriors and pathfinders quickly, and then mop up the rest the next turn in assault. I know it's risky, if I don't get my reserves turn 2 I'm in a bunch of trouble most likely, and I don't really have a grasp yet at how effective this will be so that sheer volume of fire doesn't kill everything that arrives in his backfield, but I'm trying to play around with things a bit and hoping I don't have to resort to every game being 2 Flyrants and an Exocrine to have any hope of dealing with what's getting thrown at me.

I think against Tau you are going to have to ask your friend to use way weaker units if you want to run that Nids list as you have some of the worst units in the whole codex. While warriors and Raveners may look cool they are bad, especially against an army like Tau that has a lot of high str ignores cover shooting.

Tau is likely the worse match up for Nids and I would honestly ask your friend to play his chaos army, if he really is the experienced player he should know that it's not a fair fight.

Also I know I have said this before but no one responded, I thought horrors can't go to ground because of their demonic fearless like rule. Did they change that too?

JesusIsTehCool fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 15, 2016

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The quality control even inside a single book is all over the place. Compare Death Guard or Emperor's Children to stuff like Night Lords (GW, Fear is nowhere near as valuable as you think it is) or Word Bearers.

I thought the Word Bearers looked pretty nifty in the new book. Assuming you want to summon in daemons.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 15, 2016

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I thought the Word Bearers looked pretty nifty in the new book. Assuming you want to summon in daemons.

But they also have to pay the Dark Apostle tax to get most of their benefits, and Possessed are garbage.

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

One million men at war,

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I think against Tau you are going to have to ask your friend to use way weaker units if you want to run that Nids list as you have some of the worst units in the whole codex. While warriors and Raveners may look cool they are bad, especially against an army like Tau that has a lot of high str ignores cover shooting.

Tau is likely the worse match up for Nids and I would honestly ask your friend to play his chaos army, if he really is the experienced player he should know that it's not a fair fight.

Also I know I have said this before but no one responded, I thought horrors can't go to ground because of their demonic fearless like rule. Did they change that too?

I'm not surprised it's considered such a bad match up, the whole 'ignores cover' thing is certainly brutal. I'm certainly not married to the warriors since I know they're considered overcosted, but I was sort of unsure about what to spend my remaining points on troops wise. The raveners are required by the formation, but I would be fine with cutting the two extras I added. My thinking was to dump as many points as possible into a massed first strike, but maybe I would be better off running a couple larger gaunt broods instead?

I'm aware the list is way more fluffy than good and I'm ok with that, the heavies were included with the army I bought and I'd like to use them here and there, and I'm proxy-ing the raveners. I guess what I'm looking for is how can I make this admittedly bad idea a slightly less bad one?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

JesusIsTehCool posted:

On top of that the Tau list you mentioned is actually pretty squishy compared to some of the meaner things they can do. Bear in mind that Tau (aside from the MCs) are one of the only armies that are really quite susceptible to Fear/Pinning, which is something that Tyranid do quite well. The Horror is super useful against Crisis Suits, Broadsides, etc., as it forces them to remain still and allows you to charge at no initiative penalty and they can't Overwatch (though other units within 6" can, unless you've pinned those too).

If you have Biovores or Zoanthropes those are fluffy and good units to use. S4 AP4 pinning melts Firewarriors and can lock them down.

What models do you have available?

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

One million men at war,

PierreTheMime posted:

On top of that the Tau list you mentioned is actually pretty squishy compared to some of the meaner things they can do. Bear in mind that Tau (aside from the MCs) are one of the only armies that are really quite susceptible to Fear/Pinning, which is something that Tyranid do quite well. The Horror is super useful against Crisis Suits, Broadsides, etc., as it forces them to remain still and allows you to charge at no initiative penalty and they can't Overwatch (though other units within 6" can, unless you've pinned those too).

If you have Biovores or Zoanthropes those are fluffy and good units to use. S4 AP4 pinning melts Firewarriors and can lock them down.

What models do you have available?

In addition to what I listed, I have a magnetized Haruspex/Exocrine, a single hive guard, a lictor, 2 venomthropes, some genestealers and rippers, about 30 gargoyles, a hive crone, a biovore, a tyrannofex, and 4 carnifexes.

I did want to include the biovore but since the formation already uses 3 heavies, I didn't have room for it, which is why I switched the warriors to a venom cannon instead of a barbed strangler. and added the miasma cannon, since those are the only things I really have that can punch through Fire Warrior armor. I also got the sense that in the grand scheme of what the Tau can run, this was a better time than most to run something that's not very good.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

FromTheShire posted:

In addition to what I listed, I have a magnetized Haruspex/Exocrine, a single hive guard, a lictor, 2 venomthropes, some genestealers and rippers, about 30 gargoyles, a hive crone, a biovore, a tyrannofex, and 4 carnifexes.

I did want to include the biovore but since the formation already uses 3 heavies, I didn't have room for it, which is why I switched the warriors to a venom cannon instead of a barbed strangler. and added the miasma cannon, since those are the only things I really have that can punch through Fire Warrior armor. I also got the sense that in the grand scheme of what the Tau can run, this was a better time than most to run something that's not very good.

My list is so different than yours I am not sure I can be much help. I prefer I bunch of really cheap objective secure guys with shrouded from a Malenthrope... which is also awful against Tau list.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

FromTheShire posted:

Well, the nice thing about Formations is they don't use the slots from your standard army orgranization, so your Combined Arms Detachment is currently sitting at 1 HQ and 2 Troops. You certainly could add a Biovore, paid for practically completely but dropping the Regeneration off of the Hive Tyrant.

Regeneration is typically a trap, since at 30pts it's a heavy buy and it can only be used on your own turn with a small chance of success. If your opponent blows you out of the sky during their turn, you just lost an even pricier model.

What I might recommend, without deviating too much from your plan, would be:
-Regeneration 30pts
-1 Ravener from a 4x unit 45pts
-Hormagaunts 50pts
+Biovore 40pts
+5x Genestealers with 1x Broodlord 130pts

Since you're already proxying the Raveners, hopefully you can proxy a Broodlord as well. That would give you guaranteed The Horror as well as meatier CC troops that don't need babysitting, as a MSU of Hormagaunts isn't going to go very far.

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

One million men at war,

PierreTheMime posted:

Well, the nice thing about Formations is they don't use the slots from your standard army orgranization, so your Combined Arms Detachment is currently sitting at 1 HQ and 2 Troops. You certainly could add a Biovore, paid for practically completely but dropping the Regeneration off of the Hive Tyrant.

Regeneration is typically a trap, since at 30pts it's a heavy buy and it can only be used on your own turn with a small chance of success. If your opponent blows you out of the sky during their turn, you just lost an even pricier model.

What I might recommend, without deviating too much from your plan, would be:
-Regeneration 30pts
-Hormagaunts 50pts
+Biovore 40pts
+5x Genestealers with 1x Broodlord 130pts

Since you're already proxying the Raveners, hopefully you can proxy a Broodlord as well. That would give you guaranteed The Horror as well as meatier CC troops that don't need babysitting, as a MSU of Hormagaunts isn't going to go very far.

Oh awesome, I didn't know that's how formations worked. I have just been playing around with battlescribe on my phone to make my lists, and it flagged having more than 3 heavies. I think losing regeneration is probably good, I got to 1470 and was kind of at a loss with what to do since I didn't think just adding a couple more gaunts would do anything for me. I like your changes, but without needing them to babysit gaunts and take a couple pot shots, do you think I can safely cut the warriors, maybe for a second brood of genestealers? I wasn't thrilled at them basically being 100 points for a single venom cannon to begin with.

E: I guess the problem then is the biovore is chilling all by itself, so I can't really do that

FromTheShire fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 15, 2016

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I just love the example given...

http://imgur.com/a/AUfWD

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

FromTheShire posted:

Oh awesome, I didn't know that's how formations worked. I have just been playing around with battlescribe on my phone to make my lists, and it flagged having more than 3 heavies. I think losing regeneration is probably good, I got to 1470 and was kind of at a loss with what to do since I didn't think just adding a couple more gaunts would do anything for me. I like your changes, but without needing them to babysit gaunts and take a couple pot shots, do you think I can safely cut the warriors, maybe for a second brood of genestealers? I wasn't thrilled at them basically being 100 points for a single venom cannon to begin with.

Tyranid Genestealers are essentially just a delivery mechanism for Broodlords and you'll be lucky if they see combat. That said, the +1 Warp Charge, Synapse, and The Horror power are solid, albeit pricey. If you can scratch together another 30pts I'd say go for it, but Genestealers on their own may not do much.

FromTheShire posted:

E: I guess the problem then is the biovore is chilling all by itself, so I can't really do that
Synapse really only hurts the super-low Ld., but it is possible for it to fail and sit around. If you start it near the Hive Tyrant in the back you can get a turn or two of consistent use pretty worry-free and by then either all its targets will be dead or it will.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 15, 2016

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Ghost Hand posted:

I don't get it?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

His name is Carl.

Ghost Hand posted:

Don't you wish your CSM collection was that small?

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

One million men at war,

PierreTheMime posted:

Tyranid Genestealers are essentially just a delivery mechanism for Broodlords and you'll be lucky if they see combat. That said, the +1 Warp Charge, Synapse, and The Horror power are solid, albeit pricey. If you can scratch together another 30pts I'd say go for it, but Genestealers on their own may not do much.

Synapse really only hurts the super-low Ld., but it is possible for it to fail and sit around. If you start it near the Hive Tyrant in the back you can get a turn or two of consistent use pretty worry-free and by then either all its targets will be dead or it will.

That makes sense. Thank you for the help!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ghost Hand posted:

This is an awesome easter egg

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Lots of info on Imperial Agents book.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Weird interaction I didn't realize, but saw browsing the Chaos Tactics 1d4chan page: You can take the Helforged Warpack formation and designate a forgefiend/maulerfiend/helbrute as a character due to the formation rules, then use Boon of Tzeentch on them to hit then with a S4 AP- hit (that does nothing), after which they get a roll on the Chaos Boons table, which yeah, could turn them into a spawn, but could also give them +1 attack, +1 S, +1 BS, +1 I, Shrouded, give a ranged weapon +1 S, give its melee attacks Instant Death, or gain Shred. I kind of want to try this.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

BULBASAUR posted:

This is an awesome easter egg

I laughed. It was too on point to be coincidental. I asked around over there for who was responsible and I just got a bunch of winky-faces. So it was kind of nice and made me smile.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Weird interaction I didn't realize, but saw browsing the Chaos Tactics 1d4chan page: You can take the Helforged Warpack formation and designate a forgefiend/maulerfiend/helbrute as a character due to the formation rules, then use Boon of Tzeentch on them to hit then with a S4 AP- hit (that does nothing), after which they get a roll on the Chaos Boons table, which yeah, could turn them into a spawn, but could also give them +1 attack, +1 S, +1 BS, +1 I, Shrouded, give a ranged weapon +1 S, give its melee attacks Instant Death, or gain Shred. I kind of want to try this.

oh no

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Looking to buy markers for 40k, specifically things like lost hull points, weapon destroyed, crew shaken etc.

Any recommendations?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I thought I'd put this up here before I trawl it on eBay, and I figured maybe someone here would be interested. I backed the Warzone Resurrection Kickstarter and got the Bauhaus starter, plus some other stuff from it. Contents below:
Objective Markers-Bauhaus
Bauhaus Starter Box (10 Hussars, Vulkan battlesuit, and Angelika Drachen)
Venusian Rangers
Weapon addon
All the cards, dice, and accouterments

Everything is unassembled and still on sprue. I'm looking to get $60 or some kind of Warhammer/30k/40k trade. If you've got anything you want to trade, just ask me and we can figure something out. Everything comes with its original bag. Photos are here:
http://imgur.com/a/FSVIn

For ideas of what these models look like assembled, look at the Prodos games store:
http://shop.prodosgames.com/17-bauhaus

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Yeast posted:

Looking to buy markers for 40k, specifically things like lost hull points, weapon destroyed, crew shaken etc.

Any recommendations?

I bought the markers that come in a las cartridge, I didn't find them very helpful,but maybe I should try using them more.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Uroboros posted:

I bought the markers that come in a las cartridge, I didn't find them very helpful,but maybe I should try using them more.

I used those for a long time and they got the job down, I used poster tac to keep the dice on them.

It is pretty easy to make your own objective markers, you can go to Micheal's and get wood numbers, paint them. and just glue them to a scenic base that matches your army. I bought some plastic toy animal skulls and glued them to bases that match my Nids then glued numbers to them. Every one in the store loves using them.

Found a picture of them:

JesusIsTehCool fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 16, 2016

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

So I noticed WarhammerTV is using twitch? Is there anyway to view this stuff after it has aired?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Uroboros posted:

So I noticed WarhammerTV is using twitch? Is there anyway to view this stuff after it has aired?

https://www.twitch.tv/warhammer/videos/all

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

I just had this stuff on in the background while I was doing some painting. Pretty enjoyable content so far, although the live games kinda suffer in the audio quality department. I liked the interviews with Phil Kelly and Nick Kyme.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I skipped Nick Kyme as a knee-jerk reaction to his being a terrible author and a horrendously incompetent editor. Was he really worth listening to? I'm currently listening to Duncy Rhodes talk about painting, it starts around one hour and ten minutes into this one https://www.twitch.tv/warhammer/v/107603016 and it's lovely.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Bit late on Tyranid chat, but your success with them using a conventional list really depends on how casual your local meta is. I mainly run into infantry heavy armies which is a great boon to my swarm, since my models can actually catch up to and hurt the enemy army. Don't try this army if you want to play tournaments and think winged Hive Tyrants are boring.

Depending on how far you are willing to go at places like eBay, even vehicle heavy lists can be handled relatively well:

(He wanted to try his Armored Battlegroup against my Hierophant, and fortunately for me his beasthunter shells failed to wound it. :love:)

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Thanks babe, have a slide show.

Cities of Death!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
So having missed the thing on 3rd Dec, I am going up to Warhammer World tomorrow with some buddies who invited me. Haven't played 40k in at least a year, so I got out the Imperial Guard Army to have a look and remind myself. Most of it needs the bases finished, which I will try to do today.

That's all I've got painted, the remainder is only a couple heavy weapon squads, one command vehicle and a few snipers.

The command squad(s): I've got conversions for all the advisors (2 Masters of Ordnance), a regimental standard and 2 normal Senior Officers plus a Straken conversion.

Also one Inquisitor, the Solomon Lok model from FW. Got about 50 other 'Inqusitorial' type conversions and models unpainted. This upcoming Imperial Agents book is going to gently caress up the way I had them organised though.

I generally field 2 big infantry squads (30 models each) with a Priest each.

Makes Commissars rather obsolete, but they are such cool models.

As the sharp-eyed will be able to tell from the lovely photos, the way I planned out the platoons evolved slightly. I have 3 Platoon Command Squads, for example, and the HWTs I made to be part of Infantry Squads don't quite line up.

I started some Stormtroopers with conversions (2 squads of 5 models, with melta guns for deep strike fun) and then the Scions got released, I ended up with a plasma gun toting command squad of them. The most recently, and therefore best painted infantry units I've done for this army.

My converted Leman Russes are probably the most unique thing about the army. Really happy with them. Baneblade was a good deal second-hand and it makes a good centrepiece, only ever fielded it in a couple games.

Got a bit of artillery as well:

Finally, painted just before I stopped playing (and before they released all new plastic models!) I managed to get all the Assassins. Eversor is definitely the coolest.

So, there's my painted Imperial collection. In a strange place with it right now. I have plenty more of the zany future-gothic Imperial stuff to paint. All sorts of crazy conversions I'm very happy with. But I don't really feel the urge to play. Part of me wants to go grab another 3-5 tanks, round out the artillery, double my infantry squads, get a huge unit of Penal Legion-themed conscripts, Chimeras, Hydras, etc. But I just don't fancy using them on the field much.

I hope that if and when a new edition gets released they address some of the issues the game has right now. The nonsense slurry of wildly imbalanced and random formations does nothing for me. I don't want to get a random assortment of other units in order to re-roll more 6s or any crap like that. The game needs to be pared down to the basic profiles and everything re-balanced IMO. Slim chance though.

Besides this and my Inquisition stuff I've still got a good amount of Eldar jetbikes and infantry I've hung on to. At the current rate of progress I'd be around 90 before it all gets painted!

• Locked thread