Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Crazy Ted posted:

You beat me to my edit by about three seconds you jerk :mad:

There's a part in The Breaks of the Game where a player talks about a basic offseason training regimen like they're hacking the Matrix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

This is my new favorite Christmas song

https://www.facebook.com/1500ESPN/videos/1358095690887735/

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The 35 % 6 year contracts need a shorthand name.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

euphronius posted:

The 35 % 6 year contracts need a shorthand name.

I vote supermax or the Boogie Rule.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

I vote supermax

oo the adx florence rule

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

HOOK THAT INSANE BILL SIMMONS BOOGIE FANFIC INTO MY VEINS

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Boogie knew he loved the Celtics years before "The Heist" went down, he knew when he watched Jeremy Renner & Ben Affleck's virtuoso performances in 2010's The Town. He imagined himself walking side by side with Renner, Heinsohn, and Red's ghost, learning about the magic of Boston, even the ugly parts that make the city so drat beautiful

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Crazy Ted posted:

The thing is, it didn't used to be a scam. Coaches and players' consensus across all sports used to be that you needed a 4-6 week preseason to get ready.

Preseason is enormously valuable for coaches and front offices. Coaches need to have their playbooks ready by the time the season starts because there is no time to change things during the season, and front offices need to see how the nonguaranteed players do in game situations. Now we're going to have to cut guys based on like 20 minutes of playing time. I'd rather get rid of all star week than two preseason games.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Is the Simmons fanfic better or worse than the infamous NFL reporter Peter King fanfic of Tom Brady ten years ago or so? This took me forever to find, as SI seems to have scrubbed it.

https://www.orangepower.com/threads/a-brief-kevin-williams-mention.13679/

Worse.

Put it this way, the only believable part of it is Trump declaring war on Turks and Caicos.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Tae posted:

Draymond and Klay should've gotten the max in the first place, but BJ Armstrong is literally one of the worst agents

BJ is their agent? lol

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

straight up brolic posted:

Boogie knew he loved the Celtics years before "The Heist" went down, he knew when he watched Jeremy Renner & Ben Affleck's virtuoso performances in 2010's The Town. He imagined himself walking side by side with Renner, Heinsohn, and Red's ghost, learning about the magic of Boston, even the ugly parts that make the city so drat beautiful

"We knew we needed A Guy," Ainge said, referencing Boogie's body language on the sidelines and the way he did high-fives with his teammates. So we went out and got him. You know, you've got to give up a lot to get this guy," Ainge said, barely reversing a smirk at how badly he had swindled Vivek Randive who is dumb now that Malcolm Gladwell isn't profiling him anymore. The package of players and picks would later be known as The Heist, and hewed eerily similar to a package that I made in a podcast with my buddy where we compared players to characters from Charles in Charge.

"That's why you get a Boogie," I said. "He's the Charles. And he's in charge."

Also, all of this went through due to President Trump invading Canada for some reason, I said, politically.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 15, 2016

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

dokmo posted:

Preseason is enormously valuable for coaches and front offices. Coaches need to have their playbooks ready by the time the season starts because there is no time to change things during the season, and front offices need to see how the nonguaranteed players do in game situations. Now we're going to have to cut guys based on like 20 minutes of playing time. I'd rather get rid of all star week than two preseason games.
Can exhibitions still be scheduled in addition to the mandatory schedule?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How important are non guaranteed guys . Really.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Is the Simmons fanfic better or worse than the infamous NFL reporter Peter King fanfic of Tom Brady ten years ago or so? This took me forever to find, as SI seems to have scrubbed it.

https://www.orangepower.com/threads/a-brief-kevin-williams-mention.13679/

quote:

"Tonight,'' vanquished Minnesota safety Darren Sharper said nobly in an unashamed Vikings locker room, "Tom Brady proved he's the best football player on the planet. And the Patriots proved they're one of the best teams of all time. You've got to put them up with the old Packers and Steelers now.''

Man, invoking Sharper's name sure is unfortunate now

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

euphronius posted:

Depends if you have a good front office.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Deandre liggins is the key to CLEs success.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Man, anytime Steve Franchise pops up in Google news it's never good.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
The media and the fans were skeptical that Rondo could co-exist with Cousins, especially with how poorly they played together in Sacramento. Ainge had a hunch that they could figure it out, just like Russell and Jones did back in the day. But not even in Ainge's wildest dreams did he think Rondo could shoot 40% from 3 for the season. Rondo's summer workouts with Manute Bol had paid off and his catapult-style shot was now being copied by kids from Foxborough to Rockport.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

euphronius posted:

Say you work in the front office of a team. That makes you, at best, the 16th most important contributor to your team's success. But personnel decisions are by far the most important thing you do. Choosing those guys may not be very important compared to what your stars are doing, but it is the most important thing you were hired to do.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

euphronius posted:

Deandre liggins is the key to CLEs success.

Oh you mean the best player of all-time? (PER of 129.1, 2.123 WS/48, DBPM of -23.1 more than canceled by his OBPM of 47.8)

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

dokmo posted:

How about play as many preseason games as you want as long as you don't force season ticket holders to buy them at full value?

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Honestly if this leads to more [TEAM X] cut [PLAYER Y] and now he's killing it on [TEAM Z] situations, I'm all for it.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

i think my favorite part of that whole Simmons thing was that the Celtics acquired John Wall for IT and the 2018 Brooklyn pick. underrated passage is Steph Curry leaving the Warriors for the Hornets

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOCxaIOj5eV/

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Acting like Sliding Doors is a worthwhile reference in 2016 is the worst part of the Simmons thing

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Come on. You never ever ever ever take the side chick or dude to a place where there will literally be cameras everywhere.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

EvanTH posted:

Also:

what?

Bobby Fischer is like the greatest chess player ever

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The negative version of the Boogie fanfic has him punching out Dan Shaughnessy

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Other stuff posted on the Ringer today (besides Simmons spilling a Diet Coke all over his keyboard): Kevin O'Connor on the top 5 rookies at this point of the season:

https://theringer.com/the-top-five-nba-rookies-ranked-by-their-best-skill-2aa4e84e10a1

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Henchman of Santa posted:

The negative version of the Boogie fanfic has him punching out Dan Shaughnessy

So it's the "negative" version.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I hate to bring down bill Simmons and his fanfiction so fresh out of his meet with Gucci but we allll know there's no way LMA and boogie "resting" the same night was coincidence :twisted:

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Boogie 4 Tristan Thompson, who says no?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Let's not devolve into fans thinking they can offer garbage to magically get a star
this would be a sensible and fair exchange for all parties invoved
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=z6gxxzd
Take our old men please

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Two nights after that Houston shellacking, Cousins broke Larry Bird’s team record by dropping an astonishing 62 points on the Magic. A delirious Celtics crowd kept lifting Cousins to a higher place, as Celtics announcer Brian Scalabrine says now, “like they needed each other.” He compares the experience to seeing a Springsteen show in Jersey, how the Boss feeds off his hometown crowd and gains energy as the night creeps along. Is it strange to compare DeMarcus Cousins to Bruce Springsteen? “Two years ago, I would have said yes, obviously,” says Scalabrine. “But not after everything we’ve seen. He’s the new Boss!”

Hahahahaha

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

straight up brolic posted:

is this real this can't be real please don't make me click it

Intruder posted:

Two nights after that Houston shellacking, Cousins broke Larry Bird’s team record by dropping an astonishing 62 points on the Magic. A delirious Celtics crowd kept lifting Cousins to a higher place, as Celtics announcer Brian Scalabrine says now, “like they needed each other.” He compares the experience to seeing a Springsteen show in Jersey, how the Boss feeds off his hometown crowd and gains energy as the night creeps along. Is it strange to compare DeMarcus Cousins to Bruce Springsteen? “Two years ago, I would have said yes, obviously,” says Scalabrine. “But not after everything we’ve seen. He’s the new Boss!”

Hahahahaha

no come on

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 15, 2016

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/809466140934033408

Thank you NBA for bailing out Larry Bird as he signs all the inefficient scoring guards.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Eltoasto posted:

https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/809466140934033408

Thank you NBA for bailing out Larry Bird as he signs all the inefficient scoring guards.

Same, but Benson.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
If boogie ends up on the C's and makes any of that article seem prescient...well I can't wait for the follow up column

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

dokmo posted:

Say you work in the front office of a team. That makes you, at best, the 16th most important contributor to your team's success. But personnel decisions are by far the most important thing you do. Choosing those guys may not be very important compared to what your stars are doing, but it is the most important thing you were hired to do.

Considering that most deep playoff runs feature at least one player making the minimum in the rotation I think this is true.

I think the additional roster spots will offset it a little, but yeah, it's going to make preseason hectic trying to balance teams desires to see bench prospects and get guys competitive reps. It's going to intensify the importance of preseason practices which are already really brutal for some teams.

With all that said, if it's the sacrifice that needs to be made to reduce back to backs then its worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

In theory won't those guys just shift to the D League now instead of getting cut? Not that D League time is necessarily as good as preseason minutes but a half-season's worth is probably better

• Locked thread