Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Cease to Hope posted:

folks is also good if you want to sound less like you're from oklahoma and more like you're a high school guidance counselor

I had a high school English teacher who said folks a lot, and we made fun of him for it.

Now I say it.

I have become the old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

paranoid randroid posted:

i submit that if you havent experienced even the tiniest amount of purge the lumpens spiteful anger in the past month, youre a poo poo leftist

sorry i've spent the last month too busy watching the republican party in my state subvert every last vestige of democracy to an extent even erdogan would find excessive and cartoonish to give two shits about how clinton managed to chase off the last of the working class white rust belt vote

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Is this thread "too chill" a place to ask/chat about the Dylan Roof case?

Like is it a good bet he'll walk/get a jury null?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

PhazonLink posted:

You can definitely discuss it here, although I regrettably haven't been paying attention to it lately. Too depressing.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
some uspol guys in c-spam are blaming clinton losing this election on obama winning the 2008 primary

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

thoughts on new bf1 map, randler?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

PhazonLink posted:

Hello Friend.

No, it is not a good bet.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

merry exmarx posted:

some uspol guys in c-spam are blaming clinton losing this election on obama winning the 2008 primary

It does make some logical sense.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

merry exmarx posted:

It was HER TURN.:qq:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

anything is possible i guess but dismissing your lawyer in order to have more time to ramble about your manifesto generally means you're hosed

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
didn't clinton literally say she wanted to put coal miners out of a job, lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

nah, this thread is the anything thread, so go ahead

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

merry exmarx posted:

She said something that was similar enough that, when taken out of context, sounded like it. She did a lot of that during this campaign.:sigh:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

merry exmarx posted:

She said she was going to sacrifice their children to he who walks behind the rows

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

cinci zoo sniper posted:

thoughts on new bf1 map, randler?

I haven't played it yet due to work. Currently when I come back I have no patience for shooter gameplay and just want to lean back and watch some television or lizard it up.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

merry exmarx posted:

Sounds like fake news news.

When could Hillary possibly have said that when comrade computer kept her from showing up in coal miner country?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/freerepublictxt/status/808396624527560705

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Randler posted:

I haven't played it yet due to work. Currently when I come back I have no patience for shooter gameplay and just want to lean back and watch some television or lizard it up.
fair enough. my csgo buddy did compel himself into buying bf1 so i've been playing it semi-regularly as of recent, but havent gotten my hands yet to the new map as he has to wait or freebie access next week

in case you were wondering, the balance/map/gameplay adjustments they are making are fairly decent, and the ui/ux is still steaming garbage

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

cinci zoo sniper posted:

fair enough. my csgo buddy did compel himself into buying bf1 so i've been playing it semi-regularly as of recent, but havent gotten my hands yet to the new map as he has to wait or freebie access next week

in case you were wondering, the balance/map/gameplay adjustments they are making are fairly decent, and the ui/ux is still steaming garbage

I'm excited to be able to play CS:GO again come March when I'm expected to have deranked back to silver. :kheldragar:

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Rodatose posted:

you aren't very good at reading considering you missed the two times where I said fight club is bad, and also the paragraph musing on how people who are set into habits/aesthetics of machismo (as palalalnuk and kanye are) will probably be unable to deliver an effective critique on machismo

you opened with "audiences are useless look at how many people are totally into fight club" :smug:

you've also never address the whole weird race dynamic that's going on here

but sure I am the one bad at reading okay

also have you ever actually listened to Kanye or did you just furiously google "Kanye lyrics machismo?????????"

methinks it might be the latter

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Speaking of video games, I got yet another 75% off platinum in Warframe. That's like the fifth this year. :negative:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Randler posted:

I'm excited to be able to play CS:GO again come March when I'm expected to have deranked back to silver. :kheldragar:
you'll also be able to use your savings account for that sweet pair of gloves

Randler posted:

Speaking of video games, I got yet another 75% off platinum in Warframe. That's like the fifth this year. :negative:
:rip:

i think warframe is one of these games im secretly happy i never got into it, because it'd keep using plat discounts to buy more paints for my robots

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Cease to Hope posted:

anything is possible i guess but dismissing your lawyer in order to have more time to ramble about your manifesto generally means you're hosed

how many murderers who go in pro per get off? solely out of curiosity

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

merry exmarx posted:

probe them for me jhc

like i am and was still personally a fan of hrc, but christ in a handbucket the campaign hosed up, again and there's no real excuse for it

Randler posted:

can i interest you in some vaulted parts, or perhaps a riven mod? daddy needs a new cape and i am not spending money on plat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i think warframe is one of these games im secretly happy i never got into it, because it'd keep using plat discounts to buy more paints for my robots

fashion frame is best frame

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

stone cold posted:

you opened with "audiences are useless look at how many people are totally into fight club" :smug:

you've also never address the whole weird race dynamic that's going on here
I didn't say audiences are useless, I said that authorial intent isn't automatically gleaned. even a well meaning artist whose message is taken wrong is at fault for choosing that subject matter and not taking the right precautions.

plus what "whole weird race dynamic" is there to talk about? sorry I don't like one particular black guy for being a poo poo person, don't know how that says something about race. didn't say anything bad about a genre, or black artists in general. I think youre building up kanye to be something more than they are based on their strong personality

would you vote kanye for president if they ran as a republican?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

stone cold posted:

how many murderers who go in pro per get off? solely out of curiosity

i have no idea but roof has spent a bunch of his time talking about how it was necessary to kill these people to avenge george zimmerman which doesn't strike this layperson as a great strategy

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Warframes aren't robots but in all likehood artificially created living beings over which Warp Void energy is superimposed like a puppeteer's marionette strings.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
i have to admit i might be biased against kanye because i think 808s and heartbreak is the worst rap album ive ever heard

why you so dr. evil like a robocop ms so fly

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Rodatose posted:

I didn't say audiences are useless, I said that authorial intent isn't automatically gleaned. even a well meaning artist whose message is taken wrong is at fault for choosing that subject matter and not taking the right precautions.

This is the wrong conclusion for death of the author. It isn't Zootopia's problem that conservapedia thinks it's about sjws framing manly meat eaters or some garbage. And apocalypse now isn't a failure because soldiers would watch the helicopter scene to get psyched up

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Rodatose posted:

plus what "whole weird race dynamic" is there to talk about? sorry I don't like one particular black guy for being a poo poo person, don't know how that says something about race. didn't say anything bad about a genre, or black artists in general. I think youre building up kanye to be something more than they are based on their strong personality

would you vote kanye for president if they ran as a republican?

you also couldn't tell jay z apart from him

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

stone cold posted:

you also couldn't tell jay z apart from him

Kanye West is basically Common if u think about it

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

This is the wrong conclusion for death of the author. It isn't Zootopia's problem that conservapedia thinks it's about sjws framing manly meat eaters or some garbage. And apocalypse now isn't a failure because soldiers would watch the helicopter scene to get psyched up

failure/not a failure is too reductive. apocalypse now sends the opposite message as intended to a significant number of people. that doesn't make it a failure, but that contrary message still matters.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Randler posted:

Warframes aren't robots but in all likehood artificially created living beings over which Warp Void energy is superimposed like a puppeteer's marionette strings.
herr, das ist ein rewe kasse

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

This ER waiting room lacks really any good wall art

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Randler posted:

I liked the newest plot story. The new mode is kind of dire, but the plot was fine.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Cease to Hope posted:

failure/not a failure is too reductive. apocalypse now sends the opposite message as intended to a significant number of people. that doesn't make it a failure, but that contrary message still matters.

Yeah I'm being glib or whatever.
War movies in particular will always be enjoyed "for the wrong reason" by a big crowd of people. For that genre at least it says more about the viewer in how they perceive the media. I believe that's the general rule for all media. I think it's rare for an author to gently caress up so bad as to send the opposite message to people receptive to the intended message

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I liked the newest plot story. The new mode is kind of dire, but the plot was fine.

You mean War Within or Second Dream?

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

a problem with art distributed in mass media is that it will be seen by many disparate groups who can interpret it an many different ways.

I think if you want to cut down the likelihood of an unintended audience gaining the wrong message from a work, you have to either cut back the scale of distribution/accessibility or you have to do away with any subtlety in your message to account for likely misinterpretations.

I don't think we get the luxury of placing art in a realm separate from the other forms of communication. I don't actually propose doing anything about it, other than a general message of "artists you should be responsible with what you say"

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Hollismason posted:

This ER waiting room lacks really any good wall art

What isnt your healthcare system lacking?

I wouldnt be able to get to an ER right now. Another Colorado low dropped some 25cm of snow on us between 6am and noon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
there are journalistic guidelines for reporting on suicide because there's historically a documented rise in suicides when reported on in depth (or the classic example is the rise in suicides following some romantic novel whose protagonist committed suicide)

• Locked thread