Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbrahamSlam
Jun 12, 2013

Mess with the bull, you get the WANG!

Measly Twerp posted:

Apparently that's a table of what one person expects the pricing to be, but because it's written in Chinese it got taken out of context and turned into a 'leak'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puaEfJYyex4&t=120s

If those end up being the prices that's pretty reasonable. I'd be willing to buy their top end chip so long as it holds up when the benchmarks come out. We'll just have to wait and see I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
I'm really looking forward to whatever their server offerings would be. 8C/16T on a supermicro board would let me update my lovely whitebox VM host for way way less than intel wants for a current gen Xeon.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I'm really looking forward to whatever their server offerings would be. 8C/16T on a supermicro board would let me update my lovely whitebox VM host for way way less than intel wants for a current gen Xeon.

THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I'm in a similar boat. Where I work, we're still on those hilariously cheap and powerful 8 core 2ghz opteron 6128s that came out almost 7 years ago and cost 250 euros each, along with fairly cheap supermicro gear we spent about 1200e dual cpu box (8 core 2ghz xeons cost $2500 and up in 2010). They're slowly but surely starting to show their age. Being able to upgrade into hilariously cheap and powerful 16c/32t 2.x ghz opterons would make me (and my boss, due to price) extremely happy.

Meanwhile, there's just no way I'm getting the budget to replace my hardware with what intel wants for a decent upgrade :arghfist:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
It would be really interesting times to say "lol, why the gently caress are you buying Intel?"

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Josh Lyman posted:

"AMD CPU and Platform Discussion: New desktop platform might actually be good!"

Platfrom

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
poo poo, Grindcore Meggido wins the thread.

jpl9330
Oct 3, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Good to hear.

Also, is Marketing is going to bring back the All-in-Wonder name for use in APUs, blink once for yes, blink twice for no.

Honestly no idea. I'm a grunt on the driver team, so I don't have a ton of insight into marketing. I usually learn about marketing stuff at most a few days before the public does.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

AMD CPU and Platform Discussion: New desktop plaftrom might actually be good!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
It's more like it "better be good" for the sake AMD's actual future as a company

Edit: but yes, "platfrom" is essential

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Being good might not be enough with windows 10 arm x86 emulation rolling out :smith: .

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

Being good might not be enough with windows 10 arm x86 emulation rolling out :smith: .

AMD also has K12 FWIW, which is probably Zen but ARM'ed.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

We're going to need a new thread soon.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

to be fair AMD's new mobile platform was good, just not good enough to dislodge intel's strangehold over OEM inertia

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Boiled Water posted:

Just lol if you think slow rear end ARM chips further slowed down by doing x86 emulation are going to be relevant. Not even the worst current AMD chips are slow enough to be seriously threatened by that.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea if RiZen releases at near enough to those fake prices, that was what I was thinking would be great slots the whole time for AMD to come in and give Intel the dick punch it so very needs. If anything being able to buy a 6900K equivalent for 1/2 the price, and put it in a platfrom that has boards that are fully featured but don't cost $300+ itself, would be icing on the cake.

Even though I have access to ~$500 6900K's already... :v:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Just wonder how it does single threaded now. And how it clocks.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah, those are the prices that would get me to upgrade. I've been using an i7-3820 for four and a half years, and there still hasn't been anything that isn't $texas that I would feel like it would be a worthwhile upgrade to buy.

Eight Broadwell-E equivalent cores at a lower TDP than my four Sandy Bridge-E ones, a whack of DDR4, and a USB 3.1 motherboard for the price of just a Broadwell-E processor? Yes please.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I wouldn't ignore the possibility of AMD launching higher than speculated. If they are trying to bait a price drop from Intel, it would probably be wise to give themselves some room to drop as well.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

NewFatMike posted:

I wouldn't ignore the possibility of AMD launching higher than speculated. If they are trying to bait a price drop from Intel, it would probably be wise to give themselves some room to drop as well.

599$ for Broadwell-E 95W 8C/16T 3.4Ghz base and 4.0Ghz XFR on air seems about right. Competitive, but plenty of room to race Intel to the bottom.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I honestly really want to see what they're going to do for 2P workstation/server chips. Intel has done some amazingly appalling things WRT to Xeon pricing/tiering.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If the SR7+ goes for 500 bux, and can hold a candle to the Intel offerings in regards to IPC, I'm in with an 2S board.

That said, imma wait a few months and let the fanboys figure out the teething troubles.

AbrahamSlam
Jun 12, 2013

Mess with the bull, you get the WANG!
Yeah. I'm assuming that the first generation of these chips are gonna have issues, simply because the first gen of all new chip lines usually do.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
What are the chances single thread performance still sucks? Some argue that the second "core" in a construction module is really just puffed up SMT. Maybe AMD has just refined Excavator, decided to redub a "module" as a "core," and Zen is more like an eight-module Athlon X4 845 (a two-module "four-core" chip). All AMD has shown are heavily threaded benchmarks (plus a GPU-limited 4K game run) that would likely run really well on an Athlon X4 that has been run through a Xerox machine.

AMD is going to let us all down somehow. They still can with poor single-thread performance (propped up by SMT magic in Blender and Handbrake benches) or with unrealistic pricing.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Man, you guys are optimistic. I'm not expecting a Ryzen top-flight 8c16t to launch for lower than $750.

And I'd probably pay that, too.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I can see AMD pulling something where the LEET GAMERZ version of a chip is $150 more than the normal version of the exact same thing for like, a shinier package or a 100 MHz higher base clock with the same XFR ceiling.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Man, you guys are optimistic. I'm not expecting a Ryzen top-flight 8c16t to launch for lower than $750.

And I'd probably pay that, too.

If this pricing carries over to server SKUs too and they sell Broadwell-EP equivalents for 25% cheaper they are at the very least going to stop Intel from being able to raise prices at all on server Skylake when it hits.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
AdoredTV, our favorite AMD fanboy, has posted another video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1j7FMQKzMw

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Kazinsal posted:

I can see AMD pulling something where the LEET GAMERZ version of a chip is $150 more than the normal version of the exact same thing for like, a shinier package or a 100 MHz higher base clock with the same XFR ceiling.

It'll come with an AiO water cooler, allowing greater automatic overclocking.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I don't even need a new computer but I'm probably going to buy Ryzen purely out of frustration with Intel's poo poo over the past few years.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

MaxxBot posted:

I don't even need a new computer but I'm probably going to buy Ryzen purely out of frustration with Intel's poo poo over the past few years.

source your reddit quotes plz

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

fishmech posted:

Just lol if you think slow rear end ARM chips further slowed down by doing x86 emulation are going to be relevant. Not even the worst current AMD chips are slow enough to be seriously threatened by that.

It'll be good enough for most people who buy facebooking laptops that it won't matter. Turbonerds are another matter but that market isn't as large.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Gwaihir posted:

source your reddit quotes plz

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Even if the CPUs are 25% off, the motherboards are between 25-50% cheaper, so the platform will cost much less. This is assuming apples to apples competitive single threaded performance.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I just want to have something to upgrade my 2500k to that is not balls expensive and has good mother boards that are not balls expensive.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
You're looking at a $100 dollar board that :airquote: should :airquote: support the higher core count chips, possibly have more PCIe lanes and will probably have modern connectivity options.

WHAT IS THE PRICE SU?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

PerrineClostermann posted:

AdoredTV, our favorite AMD fanboy, has posted another video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1j7FMQKzMw

I would not call him a fanboy. Seems like a bit of an insult; I find his analysis to be realistic and even-keeled.

Also, re: AMD loving uploading the wrong Blender file: :cripes:

defaultluser posted:

Can anybody here help out with trying to recreate the 36 seconds AMD got for an live demo of Blender test? If you have an 8-core, it would be incredibly helpful :D

Kyle from [H] is trying to recreate the 36 seconds both machines took in the live demo, but is failing to do so even with a 10-core (low 40s range). With 8 core Broadwell-E at 3.2 GHz, it's 52 seconds, which smells of bullshit (or the "live feed" was heavily edited)

https://hardforum.com/threads/amd-presents-new-horizon.1919880/page-7#post-1042700489

Benchmark is here:

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/new-horizon

direct link to the blender file:

http://download.amd.com/demo/RyzenGraphic_27.blend

You need this (2.78a 64-bit) to run the test the same as in the demo:

https://www.blender.org/download/

/Can't do jack cause my fastest CPU is a 2500k, but I'm excited to upgrade to 6 cores perhaps, assuming test is not marketing bullshit?

Anyway, AMD had the balls to post the render file, so we owe it to them to "check their work"

ICYMI, see above.

Measly Twerp posted:

Plz no, I'm probably already going to nab a EK Predator, I need AIOs floating around in my IT closet like I need another hole in the head.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 15, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Boiled Water posted:

It'll be good enough for most people who buy facebooking laptops that it won't matter. Turbonerds are another matter but that market isn't as large.

No it absolutely will not. I don't know where this idea keeps coming from but it's not 2002 anymore, average users aren't using sites that are mostly static text with a few images, they're using websites with javascript poo poo and HTML5 video splattered all over the place and it's quite performance sensitive. Especially when they're on Facebook and playing Facebook games. It's "just a browser" but it's a browser running so much stuff. Maybe someone who hadn't gotten their hands on a new computer in 10 years wouldn't notice the difference, but that's not going to be a lot of people.

ARM CPUs for consumer applications remain quite proportionally slow, and x86 emulation on top of that is a major slow down. Just ask anyone how nice it was to use the initial version of Office for those discontinued ARM Surface devices, when it was first available and it was just x86 office mostly running in an emulation layer! Hint - it was really slow just working with simple powerpoints and word documents, let alone excel.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
He's not a fanboy at all, he's an AMD fan. I'm a huge AMD fan, as well.

The difference is that we're willing to admit that AMD has been getting their rear end kicked inside out for a while now, but you can't say things are so bad that looking at what's been released and deciding that it looks good is enough to make you a fanboy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Measly Twerp posted:

Ooooh an Abbottar i haven't seen before.

• Locked thread