Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El_Pato
Dec 27, 2007

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Bitchin!

The white part is just a cover the internals, inside are all the same. when it arrives :siren: DO NOT START IT! :siren: Go to the hardware store and get synthetic compressor oil(the synthetic is important regular will kill the compressor), some orange goo be gone spray and one of those trays you keep boots in during the winter. fill up the oil (it will likely take the entire container) and use the goo be gone to clean up the oil that is likely all over the outside from shipping.

*edit*

If when it arrives you need pictures let me know

Thanks! Any synthetic compressor oil works or do I need to be aware of specifications?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

El_Pato posted:

Thanks! Any synthetic compressor oil works or do I need to be aware of specifications?

I was told any synthetic compressor oil, think I used stihl from home cheapo

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
You mean the Homeless Despot

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262756013187

what

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

18 watching

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Sometimes if I prime something and then just let it sit for a long time before actually painting I'll just give it a quick rinse under the sink to knock off all the dust. As long as you aren't scrubbing you aren't going to hurt it.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

gonna just be clear that I am not anything in these pictures.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Not to drop in and just poo poo post-post.

I've been painting again, trying to shoot for every day but life gets in the way. Can someone link me to the awesome sonic cleaner for airbrushes? I thought I bookmarked it.

Also what's the verdict on GWs airbrush paints? Always need more.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

crime fighting hog posted:

Not to drop in and just poo poo post-post.

I've been painting again, trying to shoot for every day but life gets in the way. Can someone link me to the awesome sonic cleaner for airbrushes? I thought I bookmarked it.

Also what's the verdict on GWs airbrush paints? Always need more.

I haven't tried GW Air but for the price, gently caress their pots and gently caress ever using that pot for pouring into an airbrush cup. Just my opinion

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Don't buy hobby supplies from GW.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Yeah I loathe to give them money. So what's the go-to for airbrush paints these days? Vallejo still?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

crime fighting hog posted:

Yeah I loathe to give them money. So what's the go-to for airbrush paints these days? Vallejo still?

I like Vallejo personally, they have a lot of good lines to choose from in airbrush, and they recently? came out with a line of metallics that are acrylic and are pretty drat good. I would caution against Minitaire, it behaves very strangely if you pair it with things other than itself.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Seconding the Vallejo lines. Model Air / Game Air / Metal Color through the airbrush. Game Color / Model Color for brush work. Badger Stynlerez for priming.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

signalnoise posted:

I like Vallejo personally, they have a lot of good lines to choose from in airbrush, and they recently? came out with a line of metallics that are acrylic and are pretty drat good. I would caution against Minitaire, it behaves very strangely if you pair it with things other than itself.

I thought I heard Minitaire's quality control was all over the place. I have their glazes which seem to work fairly well but none of their actual paints.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'l still go to bat for Testor's metallic paints, even if their non-metallic/metallizer/pearl colors tend to be more gunk than paint.

Tamiya is a great alternative acrylic to Vallejo, since it also sprays well and their clear colors are ace.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah the Ghost Tint line is rad actually. I love that poo poo, it's worth experimenting with before you use it though. For example I had some Vallejo Metal Air that I was using and could not figure out how oil kept getting on the mini before I used Minitaire Plasma Fluid to create a metallic blue. Well, as it turns out you can't paint over VMA with certain Minitaire paints without it beading up. Maybe it's certain colors, maybe it's the way they mixed it that day. I don't know. I do know after experimenting though that you can add ghost tint to vallejo metallic medium in a cup and it won't separate, and you get a cool metallic color out of it. I have no idea what the ins and outs are specifically but my suggestion with Minitaire is if you're going to use it, test your color layering on a palette first.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

signalnoise posted:

Yeah the Ghost Tint line is rad actually. I love that poo poo, it's worth experimenting with before you use it though. For example I had some Vallejo Metal Air that I was using and could not figure out how oil kept getting on the mini before I used Minitaire Plasma Fluid to create a metallic blue. Well, as it turns out you can't paint over VMA with certain Minitaire paints without it beading up. Maybe it's certain colors, maybe it's the way they mixed it that day. I don't know. I do know after experimenting though that you can add ghost tint to vallejo metallic medium in a cup and it won't separate, and you get a cool metallic color out of it. I have no idea what the ins and outs are specifically but my suggestion with Minitaire is if you're going to use it, test your color layering on a palette first.

When all else fails, spray matte varnish on the area first before applying ghost tint. After too, as gloss varnish gets funky when applied over a ghost tint.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

signalnoise posted:

Had this happen on the weekend a bit - VMA Gungrey/Silver with ghost tints over the top. Secret was to spray on low PSI (~8), thin coats, although no need to let completely dry between coats.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I've tried the GW airbrush paints. They're not bad. They go on smoothly enough and have decent cover. But they're not any better than the Vallejo model air and game air paints, which are cheaper and come in much more convenient dropper bottles. Pots are poo poo for working with an airbrush.

Minitaire had some really bad QC problems a couple of years back. The owner actually ended up replacing a lot of people's paints. A buddy of mine got new paints from him after he had issues with the first set he got, and he said they work much better now. I actually have a set I bought for cheap at ReaperCon, but I haven't really fired up my airbrush lately to test 'em. I'll try to do something this weekend and let people know how it goes. The ghost tints have pretty much always been good, though.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
How does Badger paint stack up against Vallejo? I am finally going to get my self out from under GW paint this winter but have been going back and forth between a large Vallejo set and a large Badger set.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

JesusIsTehCool posted:

How does Badger paint stack up against Vallejo? I am finally going to get my self out from under GW paint this winter but have been going back and forth between a large Vallejo set and a large Badger set.

If you have an airbrush you'll get the most out of the Badger line. Each bottle holds a lot of paint for what you spend, which is a huge bonus, and it's already pre-mixed for airbrush use*. Brushing their paint on works, but I find I get the best results via an airbrush.

One downside to their line is the lack of variety. They have a lot of paints, sure, but it's a fraction compared to Vallejo or Reaper or any other company. Great if you find that you use a lot of base colors, but not so much if you need a more blueish grey and don't want to mix the colors yourself.

* For the most part, anyway. If you want really thin airbrush lines you're going to have to thin it down even more, but that kind of applies to all paints.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Slimnoid posted:

If you have an airbrush you'll get the most out of the Badger line. Each bottle holds a lot of paint for what you spend, which is a huge bonus, and it's already pre-mixed for airbrush use*. Brushing their paint on works, but I find I get the best results via an airbrush.

One downside to their line is the lack of variety. They have a lot of paints, sure, but it's a fraction compared to Vallejo or Reaper or any other company. Great if you find that you use a lot of base colors, but not so much if you need a more blueish grey and don't want to mix the colors yourself.

* For the most part, anyway. If you want really thin airbrush lines you're going to have to thin it down even more, but that kind of applies to all paints.

I actually have some badger paints that I use through my air brush that I like. I agree they look way better through my air brush than when I paint them on with a brush, but they don't look bad to me painted on.

I guess I am asking are the Vallejo paints worth the extra money?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I actually have some badger paints that I use through my air brush that I like. I agree they look way better through my air brush than when I paint them on with a brush, but they don't look bad to me painted on.

I guess I am asking are the Vallejo paints worth the extra money?

It's subjective. Try one out!

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Quick question: Are GW Air paints suitable for just brushing on, despite being intended for airbrush use?

I accidentally picked up one wrong paint from the FLGS, and while I could just exchange it easily, I'd rather not make the trip just for a single tiny paint pot.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Attestant posted:

Quick question: Are GW Air paints suitable for just brushing on, despite being intended for airbrush use?

I accidentally picked up one wrong paint from the FLGS, and while I could just exchange it easily, I'd rather not make the trip just for a single tiny paint pot.

They're fine to brush on. I've swapped over to using the Air Abbadon over the regular Base paint because of the smoother finish it gives,.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Cheers, might work better for me then. It's a pot of Genestealer Purple, and the regular feels pretty chunky to me, and requires a fair bit of thinning normally.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Seems to be the case across the board for the 'Base' Airs. Really interested in giving the White Scar/Ulthuan Grey Airs a try as Citadel whites are chunky as gently caress.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Attestant posted:

Cheers, might work better for me then. It's a pot of Genestealer Purple, and the regular feels pretty chunky to me, and requires a fair bit of thinning normally.

Just realize that you're getting about half the paint in an airbrush version of that color - they have it thinned down, and you're essentially paying for half a bottle of airbrush medium.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Just realize that you're getting about half the paint in an airbrush version of that color - they have it thinned down, and you're essentially paying for half a bottle of airbrush medium.

I'll just get a new pot once I run out, I suppose. Just really not worth the trip to go exchange one pot, if I can just use it now. At least by the time I've run out of this half-pot, I'll probably have something else I want to buy too. :v:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

SteelMentor posted:

They're fine to brush on. I've swapped over to using the Air Abbadon over the regular Base paint because of the smoother finish it gives,.

How's the coverage? The stock Abaddon Black has the worst coverage of any black I've ever used, and I've switched to P3 for my black.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

SRM posted:

The stock Abaddon Black has the worst coverage of any black I've ever used
Same here. How do you even gently caress up black :psyduck:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
There's a reason my list of recommended paints only includes 3 from Citadel, 2 of which are washes.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Avenging Dentist posted:

There's a reason my list of recommended paints only includes 3 from Citadel, 2 of which are washes.

Are the metals no longer any good?

Also just curious what the list is aside from brown wash and black wash.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I dunno but my Reaper equivalents look great and go for days.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ezekiel_980 posted:

You just plain get more for your buck with the P3s and Vallejos and other brands for similar quality. On a price/ounce comparison, you might as well go with Vallejo's liquid gold and they go on ultra-smooth.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I thought they were, but I've relegated my Citadel metallics for dry brushing, and I've switched over to Vallejo Model Air metallics - mostly because I always overthinned or underthinned the GW stuff, while the vallejo air metals go on fine with a wet brush.

I can wholeheartedly recommend:

Glazes
Washes
Technicals (Blood, Rot, Corrosion, Oxide)
Texture

from the Citadel range, and most of the base/layer paints are good if a bit expensive. If you're just starting your paint collection there's no harm in buying more from the Vallejo range, especially for muted colours in the Model range - I'd say Citadel one-ups Vallejo's Game Color. Absolutely never buy White Scar, but Ceramic White is fantastic. Avoid any beige colours from Citadel, they've never gone on smooth for me. Be careful with Yriel Yellow, needs a lot of shaking and I recommend starting with a base of Averland Sunset.

As mentioned, Abbadon Black is the worst loving black I've ever had the displeasure of using.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

People used to recommend GW metallics because a number of the other ranges had some iffy versions (I think P3 was particularly bad in this regard?). But now it seems like everyone else has gotten it sorted out, so there isn't any reason to pay the premium for GW products. You can get great metallics from all the other lines now. It only made sense to buy from GW when you might end up throwing out the one you got from another maker.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I would very much enjoy a thread that is nothing but talking about poo poo that can be purchased for minis. OP with a known good paints list, all that

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ijyt posted:

Absolutely never buy White Scar, but Ceramic White is fantastic.

I've got the inverse in this case. My White Scar pot has some slight separation to it but both my Ceramic White are just lumpy messes that requires some heavy stirring to even get usable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Lots of other brands have upped their game on metals, and GW hasn't really improved.

The other winner Citadel paint is Incubi Darkness.

Note that I'm just collating other people's recommendations here and from CMoN.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 15, 2016