Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

elf help book posted:

If anyone bought a Wii U and found no games on it to be good, they shouldn't buy a Switch or any other game console ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

s.i.r.e. posted:

The Last Guardian.

It was good right? I loved Shadow of the Colossus and Ico so I assume TLG was just as good, I just don't want to buy a PS4 to play it.

It's a bad game that expects you to overlook its badness because it's this week's Proof That Games Are Art.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

The Last Guardian.

It was good right? I loved Shadow of the Colossus and Ico so I assume TLG was just as good, I just don't want to buy a PS4 to play it.

wait it's out?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

TheScott2K posted:

It's a bad game that expects you to overlook its badness because it's this week's Proof That Games Are Art.

Other than massive technical problems it's actually really good.

But it is cool and clever to say that kind of thing so you can have a kiss on the cheek from Steve2911 for being so cool.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Pomp posted:

wait it's out?

Came out the 6th of this month I think.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

The what are you crying about? At the end of a console's life, they sometimes cancel a game and decide to release it instead on the new console. This isn't a new concept.

When that game is the only new edition of one of your flagship series to come out for your console it's a poo poo deal. People buy Nintendo consoles just for new Zelda games, it's a big series.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

TheKingofSprings posted:

When that game is the only new edition of one of your flagship series to come out for your console it's a poo poo deal. People buy Nintendo consoles just for new Zelda games, it's a big series.

Don't buy consoles for one game

And certainly don't buy consoles for one game that isn't out yet

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lol if you buy a console for a game that isn't announced and/or doesn't have a release date.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Cojawfee posted:

The what are you crying about? At the end of a console's life, they sometimes cancel a game and decide to release it instead on the new console. This isn't a new concept.

No, but even when Nintendo was trying to sell the Wii they still had the sense to release Twilight Princess on the Gamecube.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

Don't buy consoles for one game

And certainly don't buy consoles for one game that isn't out yet

I'm going to keep buying Nintendo consoles for Smash and you can't stop me Soul Glo

Tender Bender posted:

Lol if you buy a console for a game that isn't announced and/or doesn't have a release date.

BotW was announced like a year ago though? Do release dates even mean anything anymore when companies push it back so frequently?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TaurusOxford posted:

No, but even when Nintendo was trying to sell the Wii they still had the sense to release Twilight Princess on the Gamecube.

The Wii U is no longer in production. If BotW comes out for the Wii U, it will be after no new Wii U games have been released for a minimum of three months. That's not releasing a game at the end of a system's lifespan, that's taping a fork to a corpses hand and jabbing it in a wall outlet to see if you can wake it up.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm going to keep buying Nintendo consoles for Smash and you can't stop me Soul Glo

BotW was announced like a year ago though? Do release dates even mean anything anymore when companies push it back so frequently?

My point us who is this hypothetical person who is buying a Wii U in 2015 to only play a Zelda game that is coming out in the distant future? They aren't interested in any other games and have some extra closet space they're looking to fill for the next 12-?? months?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
All the theoretical grandmas confused by the name Wii U eventually figured it out and bought one just for the new Zelda game.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Steve2911 posted:

Other than massive technical problems it's actually really good.

But it is cool and clever to say that kind of thing so you can have a kiss on the cheek from Steve2911 for being so cool.

Games with massive technical problems aren't "really good." The story, such as it is, is also pretty poorly executed. There's just not much about the game to like that the trailers didn't already give you. It really feels like a game where they didn't really know what the game part was going to be when they first showed it on the PS3, but too many people were excited about it to cancel the thing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Pomp posted:

there is no noteworthy exclusive for the thing except bloodborne, unless you like console shooters (lol) or reeeeaaaaaallllllly like uncharted rollercoasters.

At least until Persona 5.

Gen sucks.

who cares about exclusives, less people being able to play it wouldn't have made nier automata any better

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lol, a new Wii U costs 300 dollars. It's basically guaranteed that at launch, a Switch will cost less than a Wii U.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

Lol, a new Wii U costs 300 dollars. It's basically guaranteed that at launch, a Switch will cost less than a Wii U.

But obviously the reason it failed was just "bad marketing"

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Breath of the Wild was announced in 2013 and footage was introduced in 2014. I could see buying a WiiU at that time, in anticipation of the game, and being a little annoyed that now you don't get it. I'd believe it if someone says it stings to lose the options to "spend 60 for Zelda on a console I already have" vs "spend over 300 for a new console and the game." It's likely there are players who don't plan on getting the Switch right away. But this is all from the customer's perspective, I totally get why Nintendo would cancel the WiiU one.

Otherwise the original game announcent was almost 4 years ago and that's a long time. People have probably (hopefully) bought other WiiU games since then.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pomp posted:

there is no noteworthy exclusive for the thing except bloodborne, unless you like console shooters (lol) or reeeeaaaaaallllllly like uncharted rollercoasters.

At least until Persona 5.

Gen sucks.

Yakuza 0, Kiwami and 6

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I don't see Nintendo cancelling the WiiU version, but I do see them cancelling a physical release of it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
That announcement could still just be a hoax, yeah?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Decus posted:

I don't see Nintendo cancelling the WiiU version, but I do see them cancelling a physical release of it.

I'm gonna physically release when BoTW drops

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Cartoon Man posted:

Mario Run owns.

Plus you can try the first 3 levels for free, so if you're unsure about it just download it and try it out.

It's very much DKC minecart stuff. Which is TOTALLY up my alley, the only real complaint is I wish it was faster. Also that the art style was nice but WHATRRUGONNADO

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

TaurusOxford posted:

The Gamecube was still in production for another couple months. The WiiU is dead right now.

coffeecup posted:

I could see buying a WiiU at that time, in anticipation of the game, and being a little annoyed that now you don't get it.

That hypothetical person is an idiot.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

TheKingofSprings posted:

That announcement could still just be a hoax, yeah?

This thread is dumb as hell.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

elf help book posted:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

elf help book posted:

how would you know. have you been there. what didn't you like about it. just kidding, by the way. game on

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

FPzero posted:

https://twitter.com/GameArtHQ/status/809410575386157057

Rumors popping up that the WiiU version of Breath of the Wild is being canceled.

Well, it could be a hoax. I mean, we are going with a Japanese blog that only has one (1) post and it's the one talking about the cancellation. Not exactly hard-hitting games journalism.

EDIT: I mean come on, they're still listing the Wii U version in (Japanese) Amazon, unlike what the blog posting says.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
"it's not cancelled!" i continue to insist as i transform into a deku nut

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I'll be upset but not devastated if it gets dropped. More bummed that I got a Wii u last year and should've just waited for the switch.

Especially since it seems like all of the good games are getting ported.

At least I got TMS since it doesn't seem like that'll get a port.

I sorta wish that other games would drop in price. I'd be happy to play color splash since there's nothing left but there's no way I'm dropping 60 on it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I wish I had enough faith in the retro games bubble to buy some WiiU games and keep them in the shrink wrap for a decade or so.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Rexroom posted:

Well, it could be a hoax. I mean, we are going with a Japanese blog that only has one (1) post and it's the one talking about the cancellation. Not exactly hard-hitting games journalism.

EDIT: I mean come on, they're still listing the Wii U version in (Japanese) Amazon, unlike what the blog posting says.

There was an update (?) since I saw this yesterday:

quote:

UPDATE

NINTENDO TOOK THE DECISION TODAY TO CANCEL.
PICTURE TAKEN BY NINTENDO STAFF BEFORE MEETING

Man security is gettin' real lax if they're allowing employees to take photos of documents before meeting time. And like actual NCL employees not just the usual NOA or NOE ones we usually get leaks through.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Did everyone miss that zelda has been exclusively shown running on the wii u ever since e3? A completed version of BOTW for wii u exists. There is literally no reason not to release it.

What is infinitely more likely is that the wii u physical version has been cancelled. Nintendo needs to devote all of their resources towards producing Switches and there's no way for them to know how many wii u owners will buy it for that console. I can definitely see them going download-only.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's pretty dumb to be upset either way unless it starts popping up on actual news sites

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

It's so freaking bizarre that Nintendo never discounted the system to try and get sales.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

SylvainMustach posted:

I'll be upset but not devastated if it gets dropped. More bummed that I got a Wii u last year and should've just waited for the switch.

Especially since it seems like all of the good games are getting ported.

At least I got TMS since it doesn't seem like that'll get a port.

I sorta wish that other games would drop in price. I'd be happy to play color splash since there's nothing left but there's no way I'm dropping 60 on it.

Play Bayonetta 2

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Soul Glo posted:

Play Bayonetta 2

I did it's fantastic.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SylvainMustach posted:

There weren't even any Black Friday Wii U deals. Stores can't drop the price on Wii U stuff because they don't remember it exists.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

It's so freaking bizarre that Nintendo never discounted the system to try and get sales.

Wasn't it really expensive to manufacture? To the point that they couldn't drop the price without selling it at a loss?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

youcallthatatwist posted:

Did everyone miss that zelda has been exclusively shown running on the wii u ever since e3? A completed version of BOTW for wii u exists. There is literally no reason not to release it.

What is infinitely more likely is that the wii u physical version has been cancelled. Nintendo needs to devote all of their resources towards producing Switches and there's no way for them to know how many wii u owners will buy it for that console. I can definitely see them going download-only.

That would make more sense, especially if it was a Japan-only move given that none of the usual suspects (Liam, Emily, etc.) have heard anything of the sort coming from the western branches.

Anyone know what exactly the piece of paper in the blog post says?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Motto posted:

who cares about exclusives, less people being able to play it wouldn't have made nier automata any better

that's not really the point

The wii u is the only one of the current consoles with more than one or two games worth buying that I can't get on my pc. My PS4 is a paperweight that only sticks around for the time between console and PC releases of fighting games at this point.

• Locked thread