Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Harrow posted:

I really don't get mobas at all, either. Really the only aspect of the genre that appeals to me is that you get to level up and equip a character over the course of a match instead of over the course of weeks. If someone made a game that was basically Diablo, but with like 30-45 minute long, self-contained dungeon runs where you start at level 1 each time, level up quickly and have limited equipment slots, all of that "moba" stuff except it's a Diablo clone instead with co-op PvE instead of being competitive PvP? I think I'd play it.

Absolutely nothing else about the genre makes sense to me as a thing that I would willingly subject myself to. The mechanics are obtuse (though Blizzard's moba tries to simplify a lot), the gameplay is slow in all the ways I don't want it to be and fast in all the ways I don't want it to be (why don't you just lane forever but also die in seconds if you get ganked?), and nothing could be more boring to me than endless multiplayer matches on the same drat map.

The PS1 game Azure Dreams is kind of like this, except it's more roguelike than Diablo clone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

MMF Freeway posted:

Would like to see a dynasty warriors moba tho

There was one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynasty_Warriors_Online

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

I had no idea this was a thing, I wonder how many gigabytes it's gong to take just for all of the the insufferable smug robot sidekick's dialogue :words:

Bad post, Guy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anyone else remember that 360 only Guilty Gear game that was a bizarre mix of moba, Warriors, fighting and a racing game? No?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

my steam wishlist is back up to 184 games after all that game buying and playing i just did over the past month & a half

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

*extremely Jimmy Fallon voice* I want to surf on the shield

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Sakurazuka posted:

Anyone else remember that 360 only Guilty Gear game that was a bizarre mix of moba, Warriors, fighting and a racing game? No?

I can't help but remember it, it was the first and only game I ever returned. The worst part it was misleadingly titled Guilty Gear 2.

I'm excitedly awaiting their class based team shooter called Guilty Gear 3

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

codenameFANGIO posted:

No, sir ... I don't like it.

Made me laugh inappropriately at work.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Sakurazuka posted:

Guilty Gear 2 Overture. It was a crazy idea and I can't help feeling like it would be better if it was just Smite with the mythological characters replaced with Gears.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK5jzGVe54Y

e: that's a real unfortunate thumbnail. Thanks Japan

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Mikedawson posted:

Bad post, Guy.

One of the characters is being voiced by Jim Sterling, so for once I don't think he's wrong.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

LawfulWaffle posted:

Guilty Gear 2 Overture. It was a crazy idea and I can't help feeling like it would be better if it was just Smite with the mythological characters replaced with Gears.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK5jzGVe54Y

e: that's a real unfortunate thumbnail. Thanks Japan

lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka posted:

it's not 360 only anymore buddy

http://store.steampowered.com/app/437000/

bizarrely, the pc has become the best platform if you want to play every guilty gear game in existence

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

what game/anime are u spending the holidays with and sitting down for a pleasant turkey dinner to talk about what's going on with ur lives while family argues about politics

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

it's not 360 only anymore buddy

http://store.steampowered.com/app/437000/

bizarrely, the pc has become the best platform if you want to play every guilty gear game in existence

Woah

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ostentatious posted:

what game/anime are u spending the holidays with and sitting down for a pleasant turkey dinner to talk about what's going on with ur lives while family argues about politics

whatever game my brain is in the mood for and also flip flappers and it's not going to be while my family argues about politics because everyone in my family agrees on how depressing politics are

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

LawfulWaffle posted:

I think next year someone will come up with a VR app that will let you watch replays or live MOBA battles through a VR headset and allow you to control time, angle, zoom, and maybe even picture-in-picture so you can follow more than one character at a time, all while being able to provide you with additional information above the field of play or with different types of overlays. Watching the matches now is a little disorienting if you're not very familiar with the game, but if you could see all the action from above as well as lean in for a closer look or otherwise manipulate the playback it would take the experience to another level.

Valve is already on that like white on rice my friend.

FirstAidKite posted:

Different kinds of games. Different strokes.

Some people are good at crazy fast on-the-fly thinking and muscle memory required for combo memorization and counters in fighting games. Some people prefer learning a specific role and working as part of a team as part of a longer, more management/rts-style war game, some people prefer just racing each other to see who can complete a game the fastest, and some people prefer games where the goal is to just get the most kills with whatever gun you have.

In addition to this, DOTA specifically has 112 different heroes that could potentially fit someone's brain and playstyle perfectly which feels even better than winning imo.
Which kind of comes back to the feel of combat like we were all talking about earlier. I know how to play all 112, i know how to play 110 well, but i probably only really enjoy playing 30 or so.

Re: HotS, i think the reason it's not as successful as planned is because people who like mobas think it's a bit too simple, and people who dont like mobas dont like mobas.
Though iirc plenty of high skill dota players play hots and/or hearthstone during their stupidly long queues.

Ps. Black Flag owns, my quartermaster owns, and now that ive impersonated an assassin and pissed off the templars both, i cant wait to wreck a bunch of ships before i continue the story.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Its on steam now edit beaten

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

if you think that's crazy, remember that steam sells two different releases of guilty gear x and even guilty gear isuka

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It takes different strokes and mobas cause strokes, checks out

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Ostentatious posted:

Gundam 0080: war in the pocket is my favourite xmas movie because it's the right amount of action, politics, ethical questions and crying. All set around xmas and featuring a child's point of view.

But i know im getting a 3ds xl, so ill probably play something on that.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mikedawson posted:

Bad post, Guy.

I don't think you're going to find many people around here who will defend ROM's writing.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
all this dota talk is making me kind of want to load it back up

shameful on my part, sorry

Ostentatious posted:

rumors of a nier2 demo on the 22nd so probably that, if not that then .hack ps2 games

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Ostentatious posted:

i think i'm gonna play earthbound

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Ostentatious posted:

I just started Dragon Quest 7 a few days ago.

It's first DQ game besides heroes, but it's scratching a retro RPG itch I never knew I had.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Pretty cool, this is what I imagine a dota's player life is like. They're highballers, partying hard at night, gaming hard during the day surrounded by women. Not surprised that casuals hate them.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Don't pro gamers have to retire at like 27 because their reaction times get dulled just a hair and they can't keep up with the new generation? I think one of the oldest players is 30. What do you do once you retire from pro gaming? It seems like a profession where you get picked up by a sponser in your teens and I don't think getting a degree is something your coach cares about. So you start pushing 30 and you're off the team, hopefully with a nest egg. What then? Coach? Commentate? Commercials? There's got to be scores of washed up gamers working at local grocery stores by now, forever reliving the gank that lost them the championship and sent him back to Ashtabula.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

for games that are heavy in actions per minute or whatever i could see that but games like fighters are just as much about mind games as they are about execution and reaction and there are plenty of legendary older guys who do real well at big tournaments.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

LawfulWaffle posted:

Don't pro gamers have to retire at like 27 because their reaction times get dulled just a hair and they can't keep up with the new generation? I think one of the oldest players is 30. What do you do once you retire from pro gaming? It seems like a profession where you get picked up by a sponser in your teens and I don't think getting a degree is something your coach cares about. So you start pushing 30 and you're off the team, hopefully with a nest egg. What then? Coach? Commentate? Commercials? There's got to be scores of washed up gamers working at local grocery stores by now, forever reliving the gank that lost them the championship and sent him back to Ashtabula.

This is pretty much the same as real sports except instead of being left with a broken and battered body by the end of your career you're just socially stunted and maybe have carpal tunnel.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

I think that probably happens in a lot of sports

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Joint and hand injuries from millions of repeated movements are apparently super common in eSports

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I think like

that fear guy from dOta 2 was old af and still one of the best players in that game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The DOOM doc is pretty interesting, especially the second episode where they go nearly frame by frame through the intro up to the elevator to the surface. I like how they talk about how they used the first 2 minutes t establish that they're going to toss aside exposition, narrative etc in favor of gameplay. The creatives are like "nobody needs justification for a doom game" and then walk all that back multiple times in the rest of the game where they constantly lock you in rooms and make you listen to people drone on about irrelevant crap.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ostentatious posted:

I think like

that fear guy from dOta 2 was old af and still one of the best players in that game

He is like 29 lol

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

He is like 29 lol

old af

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also I strongly disagree with the claims that Doom 2016 has "incredible level design"

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

"Paper or plastic?"
"Don't I recognize you?"
"Uh, no. No, I've just got one of those faces."
"Wait, yeah I do! You're Vag00M4st3r, I saw you on team Dead Angels in the CS championships back in 2015."
"You've got the wrong guy, man. Do you want-"
"You had that clutch triple snipe in the second round, I was just rewatching it the other day. God, man, it's so cool to see you in person. So what are you doing these days?"
"..."

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

LawfulWaffle posted:

"Paper or plastic?"
"Don't I recognize you?"
"Uh, no. No, I've just got one of those faces."
"Wait, yeah I do! You're Vag00M4st3r, I saw you on team Dead Angels in the CS championships back in 2015."
"You've got the wrong guy, man. Do you want-"
"You had that clutch triple snipe in the second round, I was just rewatching it the other day. God, man, it's so cool to see you in person. So what are you doing these days?"
"..."

i don't think i'd want Vag00M4st3r handling my groceries

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

"When we first designed this room, for instance it was just a single room with crates. As we designed later levels, we came back and expanded on the verticality, gave everything a lot more volume and made it all so much more interesting [footage of a room with 2 crates on top of each other]

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The more I hear about d44m the less I want to play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There is a pretty interesting bit that they wound up locking all the doors because they couldn't let AI chase you through the level because it tanked performance on consoles. Which is why it's all so heavily gated and segmented.

• Locked thread