Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Zero VGS posted:

This also has to do with whether you have VSync and/or frame limiting turned on. If you use neither, the GPU will try to render 200fps+ in the game menus and that will almost certainly produce whine.

Literally the card crying "WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME?" at 500 whines per second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Maybe I've always had cool whine, but my giganto old computer had like 5 fans going on all at different speeds and I never noticed. My mITX build was small enough to put on my desk, and it's near silent as far as fans go.

It's whatevs now. I'm mildly uncomfortable as long as there's a collateral hold on my credit card, so I'm gonna send my old card to EVGA and call this a finished RMA.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

my 1070 has coil whine but it's barely audible compared to the HVAC blowing towards my face

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Coil whine doesn't bother me, I got gently caress off closed back headphones. What bothers me is the high pitched fan whine when I put my Titan XP fan to 60%. Sounds like small RC helicopter motor taking off.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

SlayVus posted:

Coil whine doesn't bother me, I got gently caress off closed back headphones. What bothers me is the high pitched fan whine when I put my Titan XP fan to 60%. Sounds like small RC helicopter motor taking off.

I do not miss my old Radeon 6950 blower. That thing sounded like a helicopter.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Which was worse, FX5900 series blowers or the R9 290 reference?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

penus penus penus posted:

I have no idea why they can't/don't use chokes with the coils glued.

They do, they're inside "sealed" cases that aren't perfectly sealed. The glue they use to seal up the case isn't (Strong? Solid? Thick? I'm not good with adhesives) enough to dampen the vibrations. There's probably a market for someone to make a 1000 dollar videocard with hand wound and sealed coils that are perfectly made, but the balance of market demands versus getting "good enough" coils for 1/20th of the cost drives everyone to the cheaper ones.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

craig588 posted:

They do, they're inside "sealed" cases that aren't perfectly sealed. The glue they use to seal up the case isn't (Strong? Solid? Thick? I'm not good with adhesives) enough to dampen the vibrations. There's probably a market for someone to make a 1000 dollar videocard with hand wound and sealed coils that are perfectly made, but the balance of market demands versus getting "good enough" coils for 1/20th of the cost drives everyone to the cheaper ones.

Buy all your bespoke graphics cards on GTXsy!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
You laugh, but some companies do make and sell boutique super-high end LN2 cards with complete custom power delivery daughter boards soldered on, so it's not that crazy.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

FaustianQ posted:

The 5900 had a really loving irritating high pitched noise, like a hairdryer noise. I never heard a 290 but a 5900 was fricking awful.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5YJsMaT_AE

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

As someone who had a ref 290X that I'd replaced the cooler on, this is accurate.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zero VGS posted:

This also has to do with whether you have VSync and/or frame limiting turned on. If you use neither, the GPU will try to render 200fps+ in the game menus and that will almost certainly produce whine.

I do not run vsync or any kind of frame limiting in most games, menus and such tend to hit 200-300 FPS.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

:lol:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

FaustianQ posted:

FX5900. Reference R9 290 blowers are loud, but a fairly middle pitch. The FX5900 blower was like a stack of 1U server fans.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Holy moly

thanks for the laugh

e: My short lived Zotac GTX 1060 was incredibly loud at 100%. Not that it ever got that high because the cooling was acceptable and I never went past 75C...but at 100% it sounded like a vacuum cleaner and my desk vibrated.

buglord fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 15, 2016

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
Looking to order a new graphics card and I'm pretty sure a 1070 will do just fine for the next few years. Just wondering which card to buy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ESTMATCH&page=1

Is there any reason to not buy the $399 EVGA? Thanks in advance.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
If noise matters to you I might go for the extra 30 dollar one for the bigger heatsink and fans that'll spin slower. But the difference won't be dramatic if you'd rather have the 30 dollars. I'd avoid Asus because of their deviation from reference PCBs, their design might cause problems in the future if anything substantial ever needs to be changed in the drivers or bios regarding the way power is delivered to the GPU and also results in worse overclocking capabilities if you care about that. It's probably fine, but it makes no sense to get something that's probably fine when you have the option of getting something you know is fine.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

South posted:

Looking to order a new graphics card and I'm pretty sure a 1070 will do just fine for the next few years. Just wondering which card to buy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ESTMATCH&page=1

Is there any reason to not buy the $399 EVGA? Thanks in advance.

EVGA has had what seem to be a parts problem that causes some of their 10-series to flame out. So if there's another decent option for the price you might want to do that instead.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Didn't we already establish that the EVGA failures are no more common than any other manufacturers, unrelated to thermal issues and vastly blown out of proportion?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Jan posted:

Didn't we already establish that the EVGA failures are no more common than any other manufacturers, unrelated to thermal issues and vastly blown out of proportion?

More or less. They also started including thermal pads over the VRMs in models from November 2016 and onwards.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Jan posted:

My impression from following this thread is that (1) EVGA's failures were unrelated to thermal issues, and due instead to capacitors failing, (2) this happened more spectacularly than other failure modes and so got more press. I don't remember hearing that the overall rate of failure was more or less than other brands'.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
e: this is not the iOS games thread.

buglord fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 16, 2016

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
Thanks for the input everyone.

craig588 posted:

If noise matters to you I might go for the extra 30 dollar one for the bigger heatsink and fans that'll spin slower. But the difference won't be dramatic if you'd rather have the 30 dollars. I'd avoid Asus because of their deviation from reference PCBs, their design might cause problems in the future if anything substantial ever needs to be changed in the drivers or bios regarding the way power is delivered to the GPU and also results in worse overclocking capabilities if you care about that. It's probably fine, but it makes no sense to get something that's probably fine when you have the option of getting something you know is fine.

I assume you are talking about the $429 one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487262&ignorebbr=1

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

AEMINAL posted:

Fractal make the best drat cases

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

NZXT and Phanteks make a real good case too. Modern cases in general are real nice.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just want a case that doesn't jam a bunch of drive bays in the front, and gives me a nice area for radiators :shrug:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

PerrineClostermann posted:

I just want a case that doesn't jam a bunch of drive bays in the front, and gives me a nice area for radiators :shrug:

http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-s

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

No basement, and putting in a 480 and a 360 looks like it'll run into the same issue as my 540 does with a 360 and a 240.

But probably the best one I've been linked so far, that doesn't cost as much as a nice Sig.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Fractal Design Core cases are really good for those. I love how the slab mounting thing works, and wish other case companies would steal it, but they don't. It's two hooks that slide into the bottom of the case, and two thumbscrews at the top that screw into the 5 1/2 inch bays. It is, basically, what would have normally been the entire side panel of where you'd stick the 3 inch drives. but repurposed.

Also no basement though, you posted an extra time before I could get the photos off my old phone. The 2.5" drive is an OCZ Vertex 3, You can see my reflection in the label, and I looked like hell. Still may have been one of the best SSDs I'd ever owned, I was lucky and got one of the good ones that never gave me any trouble the entire time I used it for like, seven years.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 16, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

No basement, and putting in a 480 and a 360 looks like it'll run into the same issue as my 540 does with a 360 and a 240.

But probably the best one I've been linked so far, that doesn't cost as much as a nice Sig.

http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-c

Define C

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

NZXT H440, S340 are options too. Phanteks Evolv and Eclipse are nice, tool.

between those and the above Fractal cases, this is basically a short list of the best non-insane cases you can buy.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
This one has really taken my fancy of late:

https://www.nzxt.com/product-overview/manta

My prodigy is nice but it ended up feeling cheaper than it ever looked in pictures.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I like how the Manta looks, but it's so huge for an ITX system. I kinda wish they'd just made it mATX or full ATX. It's not much smaller than the mATX Fractal C or an Evolv. It does get points for the unusual design, but I wish NZXT made an actually small small case.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Grundulum posted:

My impression from following this thread is that (1) EVGA's failures were unrelated to thermal issues, and due instead to capacitors failing, (2) this happened more spectacularly than other failure modes and so got more press. I don't remember hearing that the overall rate of failure was more or less than other brands'.

There was not enough data to suggest it wasnt a bigger issue. However through thorough analysis from third parties we learned it was likely bad parts rather than thermal issues alone (though its not as if a 30 degree temperature difference due to forgotten pads is a great thing)

On one hand, bad parts is a better problem because its likely limited to a select group of cards. However, there is a huge chance the affected range of cards is not known and cannot be known. Also "bad parts" that only fail over time will continue to fail over more time, rather than the much more convienent DOA. The real question is if the bad parts are just in the normal percentage of failure over volume rather than an abnormal defect in manufacture

Is it more than other cards ? We will probably never know. The truth is if the card simply had a finished thermal package it would have been written off as normal (whether it is or not).

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It's huge, but I really love my Corsair Carbide 600C. It's got really great cable management and cooling.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I'm looking to get a GTX 1050 Ti for a prebuilt PC since the video card included isn't that great from what I read. What brand 1050 TI should I get that can fit on an 8.1 x 8.7 inch motherboard? I'm willing to sacrifice the CD drive if it means more room.

(Also I have a PSU on the way to replace the stock one, so don't bring that up)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I'm looking to get a GTX 1050 Ti for a prebuilt PC since the video card included isn't that great from what I read. What brand 1050 TI should I get that can fit on an 8.1 x 8.7 inch motherboard? I'm willing to sacrifice the CD drive if it means more room.

(Also I have a PSU on the way to replace the stock one, so don't bring that up)

Pretty much impossible to say without pictures and measurements for the inside. These sorts of compact PCs often use nonstandard parts, also have you made sure that the PSU you ordered will fit? The PSU is often one of the most nonstandard parts in this sort of machine.

As far as short 1050 Tis to look at this EVGA one is only 6 inches long and has good reviews, if anything will fit it should.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The chassis's dimensions are:

- Height: 36.40 cm (14.33 in)
- Width: 37.80 cm (14.88 in)
- Depth: 16.31 cm (6.42 in)

The PSU I ordered hasn't arrived yet so I can't say for sure if it will fit or not (It's this one).

I'll give the EVGA a look, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

The chassis's dimensions are:

- Height: 36.40 cm (14.33 in)
- Width: 37.80 cm (14.88 in)
- Depth: 16.31 cm (6.42 in)

The PSU I ordered hasn't arrived yet so I can't say for sure if it will fit or not (It's this one).

I'll give the EVGA a look, thanks.

Yeah, I saw that in the document you linked but those are outer dimensions, it doesn't really help that much because it's not possible to tell the internal structure from that. For instance I don't know if that card I linked will fit hight/depth wise, the length should be OK as long as they did not put other components overhanging the motherboard. Also you have to hope that they are using standard ATX pinouts on the power connectors for that mobo, sometimes they use nonstandard ones and if you hook up a standard PSU it can just fry the mobo. I remember when Dell used to do that so you needed to pay through the nose for a lovely Dell PSU instead of just buying a decent off the shelf one.