Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Thats a fun panel like story wise but its not exactly thrilling artwise? The entire gaggle of idiots with weird cyber implants that get thrown at vader in the latter half are really brought down by the art style imo. I will hunt up some panels and counter examples from what i felt were the stronger series tomorrow.

I didnt like the semi realistic take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
We all know who the Black Squadron mole will turn out to be in Poe Dameron, right?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah, it's r2d2

As an aside, i thought the art in vader was good :shrug:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I think Han Solo's mini takes the cake when it comes to art among the Star Wars comics.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 16, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I do wish the Kanan comic didn't get canned. I was really enjoying that one.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, Kanan was a good comic.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I recall Kanan was supposed be another 5-issue mini, but was expanded into an ongoing.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

OhFunny posted:

I think Han Solo's mini takes the cake when it comes to art among the Star Wars comics.

It's decent art but strikes me as pretty generic? It's very competant and all, but no real spark to me. Could be any decent artists work.

I think the highpoint to me is probably Maleev on Lando, Immonen and Notos stuff is great as well. The styles of the artists really show through and give it personality

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The best pages of Han Solo were the shots of the ships during the race.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Vader's style is really boring imo its like the base 'realistic' comic style with no flare or style, and the artist had trouble staying on model.

I don't like Vader's shading & derpy faces

vs

Compare the stupid mon cal grevious from star wars during vader down to vader

Star Wars on going is usually pretty good! That mummy gently caress...

So Vader compares disfavorably to Lando's use of color shading...

Han Solo's bonkers colorful situations & art (and hey everyone stays on model like 99% of the time unlike Vader...)

C3PO's HUGE style

Vader is very similar to Poe Dameron on going, because they both try for a realistic facial style... except Poe has Phil Noto using an interesting pastel color palette and some stylization

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thanks to the sale, I read Star Wars and Darth Vader up to Vader Down. I liked the art in Star Wars, but I liked the story in Vader more.

Is Shattered Empire good?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As far as art goes, I would be very keen if they got someone in who did a more cartoon-like style. A while ago I made a post about the Jedi vs Sith comic from 2001, which was illustrated by an artist called Darko Macan, who also did a few other Star Wars comics. I would be interested in seeing more stuff in that style. Example:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Marvel's strategy with the SW comics is pretty obvious: use solid, mostly realistic artists with literalistic coloroing so as not to turn off new comics readers. It's essentially DC House Style when you get down to it. Maleev is certainly the furthest from the realism side of things, and even his stuff's not too far off. I wouldn't expect this to change too much for any ongoings, though miniseries might see some more interesting artwork.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I have bad news for those who didn't like Darth Vader's art style. Salvador Larroca will be doing the art for Star Wars' next arc.

Schneider Heim posted:

Thanks to the sale, I read Star Wars and Darth Vader up to Vader Down. I liked the art in Star Wars, but I liked the story in Vader more.

Is Shattered Empire good?

Besides showing Poe's parents I didn't think it did much.

I'd recommend Lando's or Han's mini over it.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 18, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jerkface posted:

Vader is very similar to Poe Dameron on going, because they both try for a realistic facial style... except Poe has Phil Noto using an interesting pastel color palette and some stylization

Honestly not a fan of the art in Poe. It frequently dips into the uncanny valley whenever it focuses on somebodies face, especially Poe's.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Wheat Loaf posted:

As far as art goes, I would be very keen if they got someone in who did a more cartoon-like style. A while ago I made a post about the Jedi vs Sith comic from 2001, which was illustrated by an artist called Darko Macan, who also did a few other Star Wars comics. I would be interested in seeing more stuff in that style. Example:

I think he also did Jango Fett: Open Seasons, which did a pretty good job of trying to smooth out Boba's messy backstory from previous sources. And that had a perfectly recognisable Jango Fett and Dooku, which I think would make it perfectly accessible.

Edit: Nope! I'm wrong! Ramón F. Bachs.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 19, 2016

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

OhFunny posted:

I have bad news for those who didn't like Darth Vader's art style. Salvador Larroca will be doing the art for Star Wars' next arc.

Nooooo get that guy off star wars.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think he also did Jango Fett: Open Seasons, which did a pretty good job of trying to smooth out Boba's messy backstory from previous sources. And that had a perfectly recognisable Jango Fett and Dooku, which I think would make it perfectly accessible.

Edit: Nope! I'm wrong! Ramón F. Bachs.

They have pretty similar styles. I think Macan did a Lando one-shot in an issue of Star Wars Tales which showed how he won Cloud City in a card game, but that might well have been Bachs as well!

radlum
May 13, 2013
So BT ant Triple Zero are part of the new wave of Imperial Assault figure packs. I gues they are the first characters of the non-movies new canon to get a figure?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Isn't Hera and Chopper in that same wave? So Rebels and comics at the same time

radlum
May 13, 2013

jivjov posted:

Isn't Hera and Chopper in that same wave? So Rebels and comics at the same time

Yeah, that model looks pretty good; they had used the Inquisitor before so it's nice to see other Rebels characters. I hope we eventually get Black Krrsantan and Dr. Aphra for Scum.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

radlum posted:

Yeah, that model looks pretty good; they had used the Inquisitor before so it's nice to see other Rebels characters. I hope we eventually get Black Krrsantan and Dr. Aphra for Scum.

Ahh I had forgotten the inquisitor. My gaming group can never all come together for ImpAss, so I completely fell out of keeping up with releases.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

http://ew.com/books/2017/01/12/marvel-rogue-one-comic/?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

The Force Awakens comic adaption was just a straight adaption, but it looks like the Rogue One will have stuff that wasn't in the movie.

quote:

The comics will definitely expand on what was seen in both Rogue One the film and the novelization. Lucasfilm and Gareth Edwards had a bunch of ideas for extra scenes and character moments that didn’t make it into the film. I’m having a lot of fun playing around with those. Adaptations across different forms of media have always been a great opportunity to explore other facets of the story, and we’re excited to have new material in the Rogue One comic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OhFunny posted:

http://ew.com/books/2017/01/12/marvel-rogue-one-comic/?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

The Force Awakens comic adaption was just a straight adaption, but it looks like the Rogue One will have stuff that wasn't in the movie.

That makes sense.

Rogue One is incredibly self-contained so you can add whatever you want short of like, Jyn making a pit stop on Tattooine to secretly have Luke's child, and it wouldn't mess anything up while anything you add to a TFA comic risks being contradicted by later films.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

My secret hope is that the Rogue One comic has a cameo/name-drop of Kyle Katarn. He deserves it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

My secret hope is that the Rogue One comic has a cameo/name-drop of Kyle Katarn. He deserves it.

Considering how Rogue One went you can comfortable assume that would mean he died a miserable and forgotten death in some backwater shithole of the galaxy and a wampa peed on his corpse

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Kyle Katarn will live on in my heart :allears: (alongside Mara Jade, Maarek Stele, Ace Azzameen, Dash Rendar, and Keyan Farlander)

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Has there ever been any comics that dealt with or depicted how or if the Empire managed their non-humanoid soldiers? Did the Empire not permit non-humanoid aliens into their command? Stormtroopers all look human (physically speaking), and all the officers we see among the command centers are human.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Has there ever been any comics that dealt with or depicted how or if the Empire managed their non-humanoid soldiers? Did the Empire not permit non-humanoid aliens into their command? Stormtroopers all look human (physically speaking), and all the officers we see among the command centers are human.

Yeah, Legends continuity at least had this thing where the Empire promotes racism against non-humans ("Human High Culture"), at least in terms of access to the military and the official political hierarchy. Thrawn was pretty exceptional because he was someone who succeeded on genuine merit (and even then the backstory explaining why he only showed up five years after the movies was that a racist political rival's intrigues saw him effectively exiled to the far reaches of the Empire's territory).

It also used to be canon in Legends that the Empire had had formal sexist policies to prevent women from advancing very far as well (to explain why there are no female Imperial personnel in the original trilogy), though that's been rolled back in the new canon.

Of course, this being Star Wars, there was this long and overly-complicated history explaining how, about 15,000 (!) years before the movies, the Republic fell under the control of a fanatical religious cult which espoused extreme anti-alien rhetoric, who installed one of their holy men as Supreme Chancellor and led a series of crusades against the Outer Rim (the Core worlds being majority human and the Outer Rim being majority non-human).

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 17, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

They committed genocide on the Geonosians in the new continuity, so I think they're probably still very human-centric.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
How is the Dr Aphra book?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's a decent continuation from Darth Vader.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The wookiee reenacting Rambo made the latest issue for me, especially when one of the Stormtroopers realises the AT-ST is missing something...

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Rirse posted:

Owns.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So turns out episode VIII is going to be an adaptation of one of the old Marvel Comics

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rirse posted:

It's good but it's a lot different than Vader, it's like a black comedy Indiana Jones kinda??? The characterization of aphra seems to be different than how she was portrayed in Vader too, which is strange since they're both written by the same guy

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't read the new one since I'm on Marvel Unlimited, but maybe Dr. Aphra is a different person when she's not under pressure from Lord Vader? A stab in the dark, probably wrong.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well, I finally did something fun with my comics, and today I got back the entire run of Kanan and the entire run of Darth Vader, bound together.

Spelling mistake aside (and I already contacted the bindery, hopefully there's something they can do for me...) these turned out GREAT. I was a bit concerned about the Vader book being unwieldy due to its size, but its not uncomfortable to hold or anything. No complaints at all about the binding itself, and as long as they can do something for me regarding the spelling error, I'll definitely be getting more stuff bound in the future.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I wouldn't worry about the misspelling, Kanan won't notice it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Can we see more detail shots? Inside cover, between issues, etc. What process did they use?