Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I would not call him a fanboy. Seems like a bit of an insult; I find his analysis to be realistic and even-keeled.

Also, re: AMD loving uploading the wrong Blender file: :cripes:

ICYMI, see above.
apparently they set the render sampling to 128 samples (someone with a 5960x have gotten the 36 second time that way), which might have been a default years ago but the default for blender is now 200 which is making people go "huh?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The Only thing that slows down the web for any modern system, is the onslaught of pop in, auto play, interactive, infected ads thrown every friggin where on sites.

Most sites work just fine in themselves, (as shown when you visit the same sight with a good ad blocker) but the evolution from popup ads to the new age interactive media heavy bs ones they are trying to shove down our throats these days is the only reason any system feels slow on the web today.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

apparently they set the render sampling to 128 samples (someone with a 5960x have gotten the 36 second time that way), which might have been a default years ago but the default for blender is now 200 which is making people go "huh?"

Could they have lowered it just to keep the "demo" to a reasonable period of time? (60 sec target)

Though that all went out the window with the "Live Vega/Ryzen demo"

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I don't know where the notion that non-nerds don't give a poo poo about how fast their computer is comes from, no one likes waiting for their computer to do poo poo. I hear people at work complaining about computer slowness all the time although much less so now that they mostly have SSDs.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

quote:

https://www.reddit.com/user/AMD_james

Render sample size should be 150. New file with this preset will be uploaded. Sorry!

Both were run using 2.78a 64 bit.

The statement for download yourself was for the blender file. However you can test the handbrake one yourself as follows:
Go to http://bbb3d.renderfarming.net/download.html and download the Standard 2D 4K, Quad-Full-HD (3840x2160) 60fps video file.
Use a video editor to clip the first 60s of the movie file.
USe handbrake 0.10.5-x64 GUI to convert the file to AppleTV3 preset.
Watch that status bar at the bottom for transcode time.

Seems like they say its 150

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Risky Bisquick posted:

Seems like they say its 150
:doh:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Boiled Water posted:

It'll be good enough for most people who buy facebooking laptops that it won't matter.
Those probably don't need x86 emulation to begin with. If Microsoft finally allows random Win32 apps, software companies can just spin ARM builds. Like Google and Mozilla.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Plz no, I'm probably already going to nab a EK Predator, I need AIOs floating around in my IT closet like I need another hole in the head.
What's wrong with AIOs? Note I've only ever used air cooling.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a Cooler Master Nepton 280L that I am about to replace with a Noctua air cooler and I can tell you that it is loud (probably could fix this with new fans), the pump makes a whining noise pretty much all the time, and it really doesn't perform that much better than any air cooler I have used before.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lowen SoDium posted:

I have a Cooler Master Nepton 280L that I am about to replace with a Noctua air cooler and I can tell you that it is loud (probably could fix this with new fans), the pump makes a whining noise pretty much all the time, and it really doesn't perform that much better than any air cooler I have used before.
Is it louder than an air cooler though?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't need an extra one that I will likely never use taking up space in my IT closet, because I will already have a semi-custom watercooling loop in the form of the EK Predator, just as soon as EK comes up with a version with an AMD compatible waterblock and/or mounting hardware. Sorry if I wan't clear on that.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

fishmech posted:

No it absolutely will not. I don't know where this idea keeps coming from but it's not 2002 anymore, average users aren't using sites that are mostly static text with a few images, they're using websites with javascript poo poo and HTML5 video splattered all over the place and it's quite performance sensitive. Especially when they're on Facebook and playing Facebook games. It's "just a browser" but it's a browser running so much stuff. Maybe someone who hadn't gotten their hands on a new computer in 10 years wouldn't notice the difference, but that's not going to be a lot of people.

ARM CPUs for consumer applications remain quite proportionally slow, and x86 emulation on top of that is a major slow down. Just ask anyone how nice it was to use the initial version of Office for those discontinued ARM Surface devices, when it was first available and it was just x86 office mostly running in an emulation layer! Hint - it was really slow just working with simple powerpoints and word documents, let alone excel.

Even -U series mobile chips can and do bog down all the loving time on random websites everywhere, to say nothing of lol ARM chips. (I had an XPS13 and ended up going back to a laptop with a full 45w mobile quad because web performance with more than like 5 tabs in either browser just jumped right in the toilet.)

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Josh Lyman posted:

Is it louder than an air cooler though?

Considerably.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Re: adoredtv, I didn't mean it like that and should have probably used "fan"

I like his videos too, though sometimes they're quite optimistic

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I know next to nothing about AMD since the days I bought a few Durons. Why are people thinking/hoping that the motherboards will be significantly cheaper than Intel's? Do AMD boards typically cost less in general?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I know next to nothing about AMD since the days I bought a few Durons. Why are people thinking/hoping that the motherboards will be significantly cheaper than Intel's? Do AMD boards typically cost less in general?
yes

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

And the reason they do, is that they suck. No one in their right mind would pay any more. I still can't believe how awful all the amd/via/nvidia chipsets I had were.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

And the reason they do, is that they suck. No one in their right mind would pay any more. I still can't believe how awful all the amd/via/nvidia chipsets I had were.

All motherboards from that era suck mostly due to that whole capacitor scandal. My nforce board worked great until it... didn't.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I watched the Zen conference and it wasn't horrible actually. I'm used to things like E3 cringeshows and Apple's reality-disconnected conferences. But this was surprisingly tolerable. I just topped up my computer with an intel processor for gaming for the next couple of years. Once it starts getting long in the tooth, I hope that I could try out AMD for a generation, provided its economically smart to do so.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Ihmemies posted:

FM2+ boards are actually incredibly feature rich and cheap

shame about the CPUs though

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

defaultluser posted:

Can anybody here help out with trying to recreate the 36 seconds AMD got for an live demo of Blender test? If you have an 8-core, it would be incredibly helpful :D

Kyle from [H] is trying to recreate the 36 seconds both machines took in the live demo, but is failing to do so even with a 10-core (low 40s range). With 8 core Broadwell-E at 3.2 GHz, it's 52 seconds, which smells of bullshit (or the "live feed" was heavily edited)

defaultluser posted:

Just did a quick sanity check, and my Ivy Bridge Core i3 3.2 GHz took 4:14 to run the same test.

I managed 61 (70 @ 200 samples) seconds with 2600k@4.8Ghz. Fury did it in 25.5 once the render kernels were loaded (1:15 without)

36 seconds is the kind of performance I expected to see by 2013 when I built this, in 2011. Now that it's 2016 I can stand to wait a while longer

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

defaultluser posted:

Just did a quick sanity check, and my Ivy Bridge Core i3 3.2 GHz took 4:14 to run the same test.

Tested on my Core i3 6100 @ 3.7GHz and it took 1:43.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Core i5 4590, 1:53, so I guess it may be worth it to get Zen? I'd be moving from an H87/i5 to an enthusiast build.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What are you guys using to trim the video file?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I currently have a Core i5 4570. I would love to give AMD money since I opted to get a GTX 1060 over an RX 480. Please be awesome and good Ryzen.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Ryzen looks pretty good considering that people with 8-10 core Intel chips are close or falling short of the benchmark. Nearly double the speed of a 2600k seems like a good upgrade but I don't have a 4 year old computer so maybe my perspective is different.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

if anyone's hoping for a single threaded pipe dream it ain't here, but bringing up average # of haswell-grade cores per user would really help overall

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

if anyone's hoping for a single threaded pipe dream it ain't here, but bringing up average # of haswell-grade cores per user would really help overall

Yet to be seen how high it can clock with its 25mhz fractional/crazyhigh multiplier boost. 4ghz+ seems plausible which will make the platform very attractive.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Risky Bisquick posted:

Yet to be seen how high it can clock with its 25mhz fractional/crazyhigh multiplier boost. 4ghz+ seems plausible which will make the platform very attractive.

We know this how? (Why is 4+ plausible? I gotta see some facts before :jackbud:)

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

We know this how? (Why is 4+ plausible? I gotta see some facts before :jackbud:)

Broadwell-E overclocks to low-mid 4ghz and it's not an unreasonable upper range given the gains seen in the last several generations of chips from both vendors.

Or maybe the automatic overclocking thingy is already pushing them to the upper limits and they won't go much beyond what it says on the spec sheet.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Potato Salad posted:

Ack, I just saw a thing which reminded me that I was going to answer this question once I got back to a keyboard.

Stock Broadwell clocks about 3.2, up to about 3.7 base, and then overclock to low 4.0.

If Ryzen is comparable, they're starting up 200 MHz base, which would make 4.0 on a quadcore part trivial.

Hypotheticals are not reality, and you should still wait to see what it actually does. (Take some salt now, so you're not salty later.)

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

The Intel 6800 and higher chips are similar in terms of base clock and OC to comparable levels. There's nothing to suggest that Ryzen couldn't hit comparable levels.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

If GlobalFoundries is doing Zen, then I would expect moderate overclocks at best.

I'd like to be wrong, of course, but I'm trying to stay at least somewhat grounded here.

Bloody Antlers
Mar 27, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Didn't AMD confirm that Zen over shot their goal of 40% increase in IPC? If that's the case, I don't see how single threaded performance could be anything but pretty good.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Overshooting their goal only brings them up to parity with Broadwell/Broadwell-E, when Intel are moving off of Skylake and onto Kaby Lake.

In short, this is not X64 2: Electric Boogaloo, and 40% increase in IPC doesn't tell us how much optimization they have left in the tank.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Kaby Lake has basically no IPC optimizations and minimal clock improvements though, right?

Also, interesting poll: http://www.strawpoll.me/11885898/r

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Kaby Lake is terrible unless you delid it, and even then it's just Skylake minus a few watts.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

PerrineClostermann posted:

Kaby Lake has basically no IPC optimizations and minimal clock improvements though, right?

Also, interesting poll: http://www.strawpoll.me/11885898/r

My point is that even as Intel has left an opening for AMD to catch up, they have not done so, and even then the window will close by the time the back half of 2017 comes around with Cannonlake.

Also, those poll numbers don't look good for AMD. I think they would still continue to be a good value up to the $700 mark relative to a top=flight Skylake's $1100, but this leads me to believe that people are too skittish and still think construction cores are synonymous with AMD.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the results are more indicative of a desire for higher clock speed/single core performance. If they can manage over 4GHz in general, I imagine people would be willing to pay more.

Bloody Antlers
Mar 27, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh so Broadwell/Broadwell-E have poor signal threaded performance? Is that what you're saying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Bloody Antlers posted:

oh so Broadwell/Broadwell-E have poor signal threaded performance? Is that what you're saying?

Just worse than Skylake, intel's current offering.

• Locked thread