Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

If only the cops would arrest that person taking the video for holding his phone in portrait mode.

It's kinda cathartic watching car crashes in snowy conditions.

I hope I never get to experience it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fishmech posted:

there is nothing the comcast guy could have safely done though?? he simply doesn't have any of the other equipment. nor would like a power company guy or anyone else doing a similar job.

even if he had a flatbed full of cones that wouldn't've been a good solution since where he needs to work is too far from the crest of that hill for a taper that long

you also need a crew w/ flaggers to cone smth like that since it's incredibly dangerous to walk around on the far side of a hill inside of a travel lane like that, even if the roads weren't icy

he coned out his lane in the safest most correct way for that type of work and would have been fired or killed or caused a much greater crash had he attempted to do it differently

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

ok look, we got important places to be in se michigan

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

If only the cops would arrest that person taking the video for holding his phone in portrait mode.

i hit a curb and broke a tire in my subaru

also hit a tree and near killed my significant other

always wear a seatbelt or you could really damage the windshield with your face, airbags be damned

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You Am I posted:

i was driving the 401 out of toronto one year around christmas, freezing rain the whole day, and there was a car in the ditch about every 2 minutes

one guy was tailgating me (i was going about 60km/h with my flashers on, there was maybe 100m visibility) and after a minute or so of that i saw his headlights lurch into the other lane to pass, then disappear as he spun out, then heard a scraping grinding noise and saw him go off the edge

poo poo is crazy

so cold up there

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

Half of the world is talking about how it's winter all of the sudden what gives?

its winter now

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Shaggar posted:

its winter now

nope not until next wednesday

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

its winter now

this might be the last one though

i know you're super hyped about maine being the new florida so i won't diss it

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sagebrush posted:

i was driving the 401 out of toronto one year around christmas, freezing rain the whole day, and there was a car in the ditch about every 2 minutes

one guy was tailgating me (i was going about 60km/h with my flashers on, there was maybe 100m visibility) and after a minute or so of that i saw his headlights lurch into the other lane to pass, then disappear as he spun out, then heard a scraping grinding noise and saw him go off the edge

poo poo is crazy

so cold up there

i hope they are alright but also it serves them right for being loving jackasses

nothing gets me more worked up than people driving like idiots in poo poo conditions

just yesterday someone apparently jumped the median into oncoming traffic and ended up killing the passenger

it's loving wasteful and sad that people want to gain an extra 10 seconds at the risk of their life

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

syscall girl posted:

one of the first big proponents of the human-based climate change theory was a swedish fascist who was super excited the motherland would soon become a balmy temperate paradise

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

it's loving wasteful and sad that people want to gain an extra 10 seconds at the risk of their life

mlyp

hehehehehe

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

syscall girl posted:

yeah. pretty psyched over here

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

one of the first big proponents of the human-based climate change theory was a swedish fascist who was super excited the motherland would soon become a balmy temperate paradise

swedish fascists piss me off because i could move back there but the whole scandahoovian scene is really messed up lately

that country has (had?) a cool law where you can just walk anywhere including your neighbor's lawn

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
"Freedom to roam" right?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
whenever i'm out in the field near a highway i'm required to wear a hard hat to protect my delicious brain from fast moving road debris, particularly lug nuts escaping tractor trailer tires

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

even if he had a flatbed full of cones that wouldn't've been a good solution since where he needs to work is too far from the crest of that hill for a taper that long

you also need a crew w/ flaggers to cone smth like that since it's incredibly dangerous to walk around on the far side of a hill inside of a travel lane like that, even if the roads weren't icy

he coned out his lane in the safest most correct way for that type of work and would have been fired or killed or caused a much greater crash had he attempted to do it differently

Oh, ok well I guess that makes sense. He couldn't have just closed down the lane for that distance since he would need a flagger.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

"Freedom to roam" right?

yeah

tour guides make a point about it and then tell you to get back in line

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

KoRMaK posted:

https://twitter.com/joe_burdick/status/809401326396436481?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

After skirting the inevitable for a couple months, we were all surprised that it finally snowed

See Cleveland knows what's up.

Here in the snowbelt, it's just a thing. Christ, we had about 6 inches with blowing snow today, and I went out and had zero problems.[1] God you guys it's loving winter in NE Ohio. IT HAPPENS EVERY loving YEAR. Why are you so surprised? Are you brain damaged?

I did lol at the number of people sliding through intersections on their cellphones, most likely reporting to someone else how bad the driving is.

[1] Slight cheat code though, Astro AWD with Firestone Winterforce all around. Traction supremacy.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

im in new jersey and when its snowy out we still go 50 mph around jughandles while drinking our wawa coffee

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

God you guys it's loving winter in NE Ohio. IT HAPPENS EVERY loving YEAR. Why are you so surprised? Are you brain damaged?

they voted trump so yes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it's a high of 58f today and a high tomorrow of like 10 lmao
all the concrete gonna crack

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf9PClQKOmg

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

poo poo is crazy

so cold up there

the one day a year it ices over in austin I see the same thing.

look in mirror, see a bronco II moving to the left to pass me because I am driving 30 on the frozen highway. he never passes me, a few moments later I glance back at the mirror and I see its tail lights now facing me slowly drifting from left to right as it travels backward at 50mph into a wall.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

bitchtard posted:

Thank you for your support.

i will always wear it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

yeah the best thing is when the guy is weaving and dodging and blowing by people and kicking up a huge cloud of snow and risking everyone's lives, and he goes out of sight, then half an hour later you get off and he's at the same exit 5 cars ahead of you in local traffic

gj gj gj

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Sagebrush posted:

yeah the best thing is when the guy is weaving and dodging and blowing by people and kicking up a huge cloud of snow and risking everyone's lives, and he goes out of sight, then half an hour later you get off and he's at the same exit 5 cars ahead of you in local traffic

gj gj gj

i want to murder those people

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

C.H.O.M.E posted:

the one day a year it ices over in austin I see the same thing.

look in mirror, see a bronco II moving to the left to pass me because I am driving 30 on the frozen highway. he never passes me, a few moments later I glance back at the mirror and I see its tail lights now facing me slowly drifting from left to right as it travels backward at 50mph into a wall.

i had a bronco ii and let me tell you how hard it was to get around icy corners

and then you have the 4wd lockers

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I don't begrudge people for putting it in a ditch once. I was doing 15 in a 25, the bmw went over a slight rise and it just took weight off the back and i slowly 180'd and POOF-ed into a snowy ditch rear end-first. Only snowfuck i've ever had. Didn't do anything wrong besides 'going too fast' and not knowing the road like the back of my hand.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

keyboard vomit posted:

Draw birds instead

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol this is the most british thing ever

Let's start at Kings Cross. I need to be in Stevenage in less than an hour and am desperate for the toilet. I get on the Stevenage train but it's a poo poo heap: filled to the brim with people resting bags on seats, frowning into their Kindles and huffing you away like irritated horses. I've paid good money for a ticket but there isn't a seat in sight. So what options do I have? Stand up? Not with these knees. Sit on the floor? That won't do – I'm no Future of the Left.

i move peoples bags onto their laps, no better reaction than from a suited up middle manager who thinks he deserved a 4 seater table to himself at peak rush hour

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Synthbuttrange posted:

Changing gender is a huge pain in the rear end.

Still should have done it sooner though.

i know this is a while back, but, fuckin' same

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

epipen posted:

i know this is a while back, but, fuckin' same

how do you feel about kids being misgendered and their parents getting them surgically and hormonally altered at a young age?

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Jonny 290 posted:

I don't begrudge people for putting it in a ditch once. I was doing 15 in a 25, the bmw went over a slight rise and it just took weight off the back and i slowly 180'd and POOF-ed into a snowy ditch rear end-first. Only snowfuck i've ever had. Didn't do anything wrong besides 'going too fast' and not knowing the road like the back of my hand.

i spun out *once* in a storm
i was at a dead stop, about to do a U-turn.
in first, in an awd subaru
back end swung right the gently caress around into oncoming traffic like a dumbass, miraculously, no crash

never trust dealer tyres, they're all loving mismatched and you do NOT want mismatched tyres on an AWD car, might as well have bald tyres

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

syscall girl posted:

how do you feel about kids being misgendered and their parents getting them surgically and hormonally altered at a young age?

do you mean children with an intersex spectrum condition, or are you pretending trans kids only exist because their parents want them to.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

epipen posted:

do you mean children with an intersex spectrum condition, or are you pretending trans kids only exist because their parents want them to.

the latter

i don't think there are a lot of parents wanting trans kids

but just the whole surgical thing

a lot of people get upset about circumcision

i really don't have a dog in this fight but it's curious

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

syscall girl posted:

the latter

i don't think there are a lot of parents wanting trans kids

but just the whole surgical thing

a lot of people get upset about circumcision

i really don't have a dog in this fight but it's curious

surgical intervention basically can't occur until they're about 18 anyway - and definitely not before they're allowed to progress from puberty blockers (GnRH agonists, anti-androgens, etc) to a full HRT regimen (medication to block what they'd normally produce for a sex hormone, + their choice of testosterone or estradiol, etc) for a few years
also it costs a fucktonne of money and most trans people can't afford it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://i.imgur.com/RZQlRVf.mp4

• Locked thread