Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

The Shortest Path posted:

Was Icatian Javelineers from FE? I remember playing that a fair bit when it got timeshifted, because TSP block constructed was a PTQ format for some weird reason.

I always used a toothpick as my javelin counter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
By the time I was aware that damaged used the stack, I had been playing only casual Magic with Lorwyn and Shards of Alara block cards for a year. So when I finally lived somewhere with organized play, I learned about damage on the stack and it was removed in two months with the release of Magic 2010.

I understand how to play with that mechanic now, but I still say good riddance to combat damage using the stack.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Jabor posted:

Wizards literally said that ending core sets would mean they're reprint more cards in expansions, but somehow that ended up being stuff like Mind Rot instead of cards people actually want to play.

Missed this yesterday but as someone who primarily plays non-rotating sets this is the most disappointing development of the last couple of years. I always felt that core sets actually made thing easier to reprint since those sets didn't have flavor ties to worry about, and you could reprint stuff that referenced certain characters or places.

That being said, I think this concept began to bleed out when Thoughtseize had way too much influence over the meta when THS was in Standard and died when Wizards realized they could do Masterpieces, look like they were fulfilling this promise, and drive pack sales even more.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

If they printed every supplemental set like Conspiracy 2 then it wouldn't be a problem.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

GoutPatrol posted:

If they printed every supplemental set like Conspiracy 2 then it wouldn't be a problem.
How popular was the EMA reprint? I can't imagine the $10+ price tag keeps people interested when they find out it has more than one print run. Not to mention that it's really lame to up the MSRP of those packs

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

ManMythLegend posted:

Fallen Empires was terrible, but I'll always have a soft spot for it because it gave us Goblin Grenade which I used to great effect in my old proto-burn deck.

Fallen Empires was the weakest set released to that point and was over printed but I think there are a lot of playable cards in that set. There are some gems in Hymn to Tourach, Goblin War Drums, High Tide, Icatian Javelineers, Order of the Ebon Hand, & Order of Leitbur. At the time Thallids and Thrulls were popular and decent decks. I always liked cards like Aeolipile, Homarid Spawning Bed, Seasinger, Spore Cloud, & Goblin Warrens. Rainbow Vale holds a special place in the hearts of all my friends whom played in that era; passing the land between each other in open warfare group games.

edt. How did I forget Night Soil? I played that in sideboard for extended when Odyssey block was in standard

No Luck Needed fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 15, 2016

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Cat hands!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Flavor text should've been "Up high!"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

That is a really good oath. I don't think turning an inspector into a 2/3 and then a turn 3 gideon is broken, but a deck that tom ross wants to play might play this card.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Will this card make GW midrange... good???

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Man, Ajani is loving shredded. I also like the continuity of him having Elspeth's cloak.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

with all these oaths referencing keeping watch, when are we getting a keep watch reprint???

Elyv fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 15, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Shortest Path posted:

Will this card make GW midrange... good???

I am already mad at another 3 months of GW midrange domination, until Ankohmet breaks it up with GR midrange domination, which will last until Conquest of Power brings in the outfielder: UB midrange domination.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Sooooo, are the oaths now going to be flavor dependent? Or are they actually planning on making a set of guild oaths?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AlternateNu posted:

Sooooo, are the oaths now going to be flavor dependent?

Now?

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

AlternateNu posted:

Sooooo, are the oaths now going to be flavor dependent? Or are they actually planning on making a set of guild oaths?

Probably not a full cycle. Would be entertaining to see Bolas' equivalent for his Legion of Doom.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
People are playing Gx midrange and Wx midrange and they aren't the same deck? We'll see about that!-wotc

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GeneX posted:

People are playing Gx midrange and Wx midrange and they aren't the same deck? We'll see about that!-wotc

And they'll do it through a pretty good enchantment, two lovely 6-drops, and a bad pump spell.

Devious.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Or are they actually planning on making a set of guild oaths?

Oath of Vraska incoming, I bet she'll rock the whole "keeping watch" thing

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

That Oath is disgusting paired with Oath of Nissa.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Literally turn three Gideon.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
If only for the sake of streamers, on MTGO there should be some indicator of the number of games already played in the match, and who won them. (Unless it's already there?)

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

And they'll do it through a pretty good enchantment, two lovely 6-drops, and a bad pump spell.

Devious.

eventually you won't rush to defend the honor of midrange every time I hyperbolically declare standard ruined, but not today

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

my Warcraft guild posted:

Literally turn three Gideon.

If this thing is played, it will be played for the anthem, not to try to get a T3 Gideon.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

mcmagic posted:

If this thing is played, it will be played for the anthem, not to try to get a T3 Gideon.

What WG deck that plays that card isn't playing Gideon?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

mcmagic posted:

It can do both (well, either for a given one of them)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Soul Glo posted:

What WG deck that plays that card isn't playing Gideon?

They all are the anthem is the more powerful part of the card.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I mean turn 1 Inspector Turn 2 Oath of Ajani Turn 3 Gideon make a guy seems like a strong opener.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
They're really going all out on pushing this Gatewatch stupidity aren't they?

No wonder Rosewater was pissy that people saw it as a joke.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
To be honest, I look forward to new Oaths being revealed, even though I don't care much about the characters involved.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

To be honest, I look forward to new Oaths being revealed, even though I don't care much about the characters involved.

Me too, it's sort of neat that we can expect a mega-cycle of cards to continue as long as they keep adding new good-aligned planeswalkers. I'm pleasantly surprised they didn't end them with the five colors each getting one.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
There aren't a ton of cards that interact with or support Planeswalkers specifically either, so these Oaths provide a little extra push to run that type of card (I'm actually trying a couple Oath of Gideon in Modern BW Tokens since it makes tokens and I'm a little heavy on PWs).

If I was being super-cynical I would say this is a push to make people want PWs even more so they'll go out and buy more packs, but I don't think we're quite at that point.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GeneX posted:

eventually you won't rush to defend the honor of midrange every time I hyperbolically declare standard ruined, but not today

There were people unironically declaring GW would return to dominate again based on Ajani.

I can't tell what's real or not.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

They're actually interesting enchantments and a couple of them have been at least ok.

I would like to see more of them and stuff like the Copter in the future.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It's kind of fun looking at the list of alive PWs and thinking how they could finagle them into the gatewatch through the fiction and what their oath cards might be. But I'm a dumb nerd.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Still holding out hope for a Bolas led Not-Legion-of-Doom to combat The Superfriends Gatewatch.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Stormgale posted:

Sure, how did that go?

Sky Sovereign completely took over every game it appeared and I got to curve Crazy Train into Depala holding up Built to Last. My opponent went for the double block.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Voyager I posted:

Sky Sovereign completely took over every game it appeared and I got to curve Crazy Train into Depala holding up Built to Last. My opponent went for the double block.

Sky Sovereign is at least a Mythic. It's an insane bomb but it doesn't show up every other game like the train.

And I typically end up with 2 trains per draft.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Alris posted:

They're really going all out on pushing this Gatewatch stupidity aren't they?

No wonder Rosewater was pissy that people saw it as a joke.

What was funny was that the question was perfectly respectful of the idea of planeswalker team, it just had a silly name for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

I mean turn 1 Inspector Turn 2 Oath of Ajani Turn 3 Gideon make a guy seems like a strong opener.

Turn 1 stomping ground into spellbomb / memnite / etc into kuldotha rebirth, t2 this, t3 Ajane Goldmane, swing for 9, live the dream, lose to valakut next turn

• Locked thread