Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Those early Goldust matches against Jannetty and Bigelow are some of the most heatless matches ever. He got no reaction until they started playing up the homophobia angle when he feuded with Ramon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Shocking that wrestling audiences didn't know what to make of a bizarre glam rock throwback character until they were given clear instructions to hate him.

So they could have put anyone else in the role, and the result would've been the same as long as that guy knew how to gyrate suggestively? Come on now. Dustin's size and style made it possible for him to feud with guys like Razor and Taker.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Writer Cath posted:

Ted had also started doing some really good interactions with fans, by going out to tailgate parties. He was starting to get some real momentum behind him with the crowd, but of course, WWE refused to acknowledge it, then he was abruptly let go.

Uh no, Ted wasn't fired, he quit.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Halloween Jack posted:

Shocking that wrestling audiences didn't know what to make of a bizarre glam rock throwback character until they were given clear instructions to hate him.

So they could have put anyone else in the role, and the result would've been the same as long as that guy knew how to gyrate suggestively? Come on now. Dustin's size and style made it possible for him to feud with guys like Razor and Taker.

The Undertaker matches are all terrible, and the audiences for those matches and the Ramon matches stopped reacting the moment he stopped touching himself and started wrestling.

Dustin absolutely put his all into the character, but so did Papa Shango. The instant he toned down the gay schtick (because GLAAD made them) no one cared. A month after he turned face Marlena was more over than him.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Rewatching the New Gen era and Goldust sucked. His matches were just awful boring messes either as a heel or a face. Going even further back and watching old WCW, Dustin Rhodes might have been a bland generic babyface but he was talented in the ring. Granted Dustin was working with the likes of Steve Austin, Arn Anderson, and Rick Rude but still you could see why they called him "The Natural".

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bartok posted:

Rewatching the New Gen era and Goldust sucked. His matches were just awful boring messes either as a heel or a face. Going even further back and watching old WCW, Dustin Rhodes might have been a bland generic babyface but he was talented in the ring. Granted Dustin was working with the likes of Steve Austin, Arn Anderson, and Rick Rude but still you could see why they called him "The Natural".

He often looked good during the series he and Windham had with Shane Douglas and Ricky Steamboat, and while Steamboat was a world class worker right to the end, Douglas sucked, even when he was in shape (I recently re-watched those matches, and despite Douglas, those are GREAT matches, you could tell Windham gave a gently caress again and was motivated).

Dustin was definitely getting pushed because of his daddy, but he worked hard to earn that poo poo, and putting him in the ring with those vets you mentioned made him a better worker. I think the Goldust thing was a choice, in an effort to earn heat, and it was probably encouraged, if not straight up ordered, by Vince. Because once he started just basically working like Dustin in the Goldust gimmick, it made me wish they'd done that to begin with, because he was quite good, and done the heat stuff in promos and angles if they must. One thing's for sure, he's an awesome tag team wrestler. Those Rhodes Bros. vs The Shield matches were great.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 10, 2016

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
What was the last big like, MEGA story line? I mean like The Invasion, something that basically took over everything and weaved through all the storyarcs in the entire card in some way,

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011
Well I mean technically 'the Authority' is the answer but like

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?

OldTennisCourt posted:

What was the last big like, MEGA story line? I mean like The Invasion, something that basically took over everything and weaved through all the storyarcs in the entire card in some way,

Everyone but Sheamus, Punk and Cena walking out on Raw?

(Other than the Authority as previously stated.)

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Wouldn't the brand split returning qualify?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
That Titus promo on Darren young a few months back seemed like it took over the entire company for a couple months.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

OldTennisCourt posted:

The Nexus

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bartok posted:

Rewatching the New Gen era and Goldust sucked. His matches were just awful boring messes either as a heel or a face.

He was also in the middle of a crippling drug and alcohol addiction at that time.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

so was hbk and he was always gripping in the ring

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

oatgan posted:

so was sandman and he was always gripping in the ring

fyp

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

oatgan posted:

so was scott hall and he was always gripping in the ring

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Stop that fix your post poo poo. Y'all are making the same drat joke

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Stop that fix your post poo poo. Y'all are making the same drat joke

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Clearly Goldust needed to step his drug abuse game up if he was unable to outwork Scott Hall.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

Benne posted:

2009-12 WWE had an unhealthy obsession with generic white guys in black trunks with modified neckbreaker finishers.

It's like Vince sent a memo to find The Next Randy Orton and the scouting department wildly overcorrected.

This just reminded me of that week or two in I think 2011 when Ziggler came out as the "New and Improved" Dolph Ziggler but all he did was cut his hair and stop bleaching it and he looked like a big Evan Bourne.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Wasn't that around the time that just about everyone coming out of developmental had some kind of Overdrive-esque finisher?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
So was Naomi Watts and she was gripping in The Ring.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why did Hogan always look like he was wearing yellow diapers?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Why did Hogan always look like he was wearing yellow diapers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of8kY_IbYq4

But seriously folks, Hogan's been an old, saggy man for most of his life.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
So with WWE dipping its interests in Japan and Britain, my question is about wrestling around the globe. I know those two + most of Europe and Mexico have rich traditions in wrestling, but what's it like everywhere else? I know Ho Ho Lun had to start his own wrestling school to learn how to wrestle. What's wrestling like in Africa and Central/South America? Is it as popular? Do they have superstars (no pun intended) or is it just kinda lovely and the good ones make it around the globe to places like Japan?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

No Irish Need Imply posted:

So with WWE dipping its interests in Japan and Britain, my question is about wrestling around the globe. I know those two + most of Europe and Mexico have rich traditions in wrestling, but what's it like everywhere else? I know Ho Ho Lun had to start his own wrestling school to learn how to wrestle. What's wrestling like in Africa and Central/South America? Is it as popular? Do they have superstars (no pun intended) or is it just kinda lovely and the good ones make it around the globe to places like Japan?

It's enormously popular in india, and in turkey if you want to wrestle, you have to OIL UP!!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I know Nigeria has it's own superstar in POWER UTI!
(Mick Foley and Cliff Compton both have themselves some stories about wrestling Power Uti)

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Platypus Farm posted:

It's enormously popular in india, and in turkey if you want to wrestle, you have to OIL UP!!

Wrestling is so popular in India that rumors circulated about Monday Night Raw in India being edited so it looked like The Great Khali was in the main event every week.
Wrestling is popular enough in India that TNA started a sort of sub-promotion, Ring-Ka-King in India. (Which outside of Joe/Daniels/AJ matches is probably the best thing TNA ever did).

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

the man PJ Black (justin gabriel) is from South Africa and his Dad was a promoter iirc.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Australia has had a rich professional wrestling history since the early 1900's, though I think it's height peaked between the 50's until the early 80's.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Africa is represented by the Nigerian sensation, the Great Power Uti. Luke Gallows and Cliff Compton will gladly tell you what a pleasure it was to work for and with him.

Angelico (AAA, Lucha Underground) is from Jo'burg, South Africa.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
When did Ric Flair start wooing?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

the wooooooooooooomb

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Some promoters in South America, Chile and Argentina for example, have tried putting on super shows. They fly in big names in USA and Mexico for them and the footage I've seen of it has been pretty wild but idk how popular they are or if those shows actually make money

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I don't remember really but I read his terrible autobiography and I think he said he just started doing it one day early on and it stuck.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I don't know if I'd say continental Europe has a rich tradition. There have been periods where it was popular in certain countries, and Europe was definitely important in the 19th and early 20th century, but for the most part it paled in comparison to the industry in North America and Japan. France had a boom in the 40s and 50s when Henri Deglane returned, Austria and Germany had a fairly good period in the 70s and 80s with Otto Wanz but a rich tradition? Nothing close to Mexico.

South America has very little wrestling history. Nothing really notable on a local level until recently. Mainly it is promoters flying people in and WWE going there once a year. It's biggest in Chile although promoters have tried shows in Brazil, Argentina, Venezuela and Peru. First notable indie shows in the region were about a decade ago.

Same with Africa although the WWF did go into South Africa after Apartheid. Local history is a bit longer and there's more of a local scene these days. Senegal has a really interesting pro wrestling history, although it's not pro wrestling as we know it, it's shoot wrestling but draws huge crowds in recent decades. There are a couple mega stars in the sport.

As mentioned Australia had a big history, although during it's peak WCW (not that WCW) in the 60s and 70s only really pushed foreigners so it didn't have a real native star during the boom years.

ChrisBTY posted:

Wrestling is so popular in India that rumors circulated about Monday Night Raw in India being edited so it looked like The Great Khali was in the main event every week.
Wrestling is popular enough in India that TNA started a sort of sub-promotion, Ring-Ka-King in India. (Which outside of Joe/Daniels/AJ matches is probably the best thing TNA ever did).

It's really not that popular in India and those rumors were false. As for Ring Ka King, the ratings didn't start out huge and petered out pretty quickly. Wrestling is on, it gets viewers but it's not that big.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Turkey has this.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Thanks for all the answers.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Been watching some '97 WCW, why the gently caress is Larry Zybsko so over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

AlLamonaca posted:

Been watching some '97 WCW, why the gently caress is Larry Zybsko so over?

He's been burying everyone on commentary for months while getting to do a few carefully designed segments to build up a feud with Scott Hall.