Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

KakerMix posted:

Is Wrymstooth a dlc type mod like Dragonborn? Since that one guy took all his mods down its hard to find real information about what it is. I know it's super popular and well liked but the information is just gone.

KakerMix posted:

Ahhh it's that one, thanks. Now it will be "Wintermyst is garbage" by EnaiSiaion
Wintermyst is to enchanting what Apocalypse is to spells. It has nothing to do with that lovely quest mod. Read the link.

Oops, top of the page.

grrarg fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Is there any good guide on how to start modding skyrim? I have a few ideas that involve making trekking across the landscape easier, but I have no idea where to start.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Gyre posted:

Is there any good guide on how to start modding skyrim? I have a few ideas that involve making trekking across the landscape easier, but I have no idea where to start.
I assume you mean creating your own mods? The Creation Kit wiki has various tutorials. If you have any specific questions, then besides using google, you can try posting them here and maybe someone will have an answer. The Bethesda forums is also a good place to do that.

If you've never done any serious mod-creation before, then the best advice I can think off is to start small. It's fun to dream up grandiose mod ideas, but you're not going to churn out a huge overhaul mod or big new gameworld the first time you boot up the CK. And if you have to spent a lot of time learning how to use the CK and its various systems before you can actually create something, you'll probably burn out and quickly stop having fun.
It's better to take on various smaller projects first that focus on different areas (think "create an item and place it in the gameworld", "modify an existing quest", "create new dialogue", etc) and finish each in turn.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Raygereio posted:

I assume you mean creating your own mods? The Creation Kit wiki has various tutorials. If you have any specific questions, then besides using google, you can try posting them here and maybe someone will have an answer. The Bethesda forums is also a good place to do that.

If you've never done any serious mod-creation before, then the best advice I can think off is to start small. It's fun to dream up grandiose mod ideas, but you're not going to churn out a huge overhaul mod or big new gameworld the first time you boot up the CK. And if you have to spent a lot of time learning how to use the CK and its various systems before you can actually create something, you'll probably burn out and quickly stop having fun.
It's better to take on various smaller projects first that focus on different areas (think "create an item and place it in the gameworld", "modify an existing quest", "create new dialogue", etc) and finish each in turn.

I'm not looking to make a big huge thing, just one or two tools to make hiking across Skyrim more immersive and fun. I'm trying to see if I can make crampons and an alpenstock.

The simplest idea is that by equipping them, they'd let you climb steeper surfaces. Obviously this is most simply done via an enchantment effect, but my "this is gonna take a lot of work" version of the mod would make it so you "plant" (i.e. activate) the alpenstock in your hand into the ground. It would move you upwards, and then you'd plant the alpenstock to move up again.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Gyre posted:

Skyrim more immersive and fun

I'm triggered

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Wyrmstooth is way better than Alexander J. Velicky Presents: Falskaar, an Alexander J. Velicky Presentation. It's Bethesda level stuff, nothing groundbreaking, but definitely worth playing.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Here's hoping EnaiSaidon turns his attention to Dragons and makes them cool again, one day.

Thank you for posting a link to Wyrmstooth. Hopefully it works correctly. Also, Falskaar is fine (just more stuff to do at the end of the day lol).

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Gyre posted:

I'm not looking to make a big huge thing, just one or two tools to make hiking across Skyrim more immersive and fun. I'm trying to see if I can make crampons and an alpenstock.
The simplest idea is that by equipping them, they'd let you climb steeper surfaces. Obviously this is most simply done via an enchantment effect, but my "this is gonna take a lot of work" version of the mod would make it so you "plant" (i.e. activate) the alpenstock in your hand into the ground. It would move you upwards, and then you'd plant the alpenstock to move up again.
I think your biggest task will be figuring out how to let the player actually walk up a steep surface. That's handled by the game's physics and movement mechanics, which (besides perhaps via some SKSE plugin voodoo) aren't open for us to mess around with. Maybe you can accomplish what you want by giving the player a few moments of flight when they use the alpenstock.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Alasyre posted:

Wyrmstooth is way better than Alexander J. Velicky Presents: Falskaar, an Alexander J. Velicky Presentation. It's Bethesda level stuff, nothing groundbreaking, but definitely worth playing.

Yeah I confused them solely because they both have a fancy y use in their names.

Burns posted:

Here's hoping EnaiSaidon turns his attention to Dragons and makes them cool again, one day.

Thank you for posting a link to Wyrmstooth. Hopefully it works correctly. Also, Falskaar is fine (just more stuff to do at the end of the day lol).

I've never played it but the dude is hanging around in the Bannered Mare and talks and looks normal. Isn't it set to be started at like level 30?

ALSO I've got to sing praises about the stability of SSE again. I've shoved all the SSE and SEE compatible Inconsquential/Interesting/Immersive mods that are out there that add people everywhere and it's nice seeing towns somewhat bustle. Even if you walk into in an Inn and there are 40+ people standing around quietly eating bread, with someone that has one leg clipping between frames with having their foot on the floor or the table they are next to. I even added the 'Populated Skyrim: Hell Edition' packaged PLUS the Civil War SE edition. Walking to the first mission for the Imperial Legion from Whiterun had a 100s soldier battle that was righteous and I had no performance issues at all. poo poo just works and works well and man, Special Edition is rad as gently caress.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I have the following stupid problem:

My lovely underwater world

I was using Realistic Water 2 at the time of taking that shot. I disabled it and the problem has not resolved I also use Re-Engaged ENB (enabling/disabling ingame doesnt seem to have any effect either). Not sure what the bloody problem is anymore.

Edit: Nevermind the above. I managed to fix the problem by using BethINI.

Burns fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 15, 2016

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Isn't the water looking like that caused by having Depth of Field off? At least, that's how it worked in Fallout 4 if I remember correctly.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Awww poo poo bros a real-deal Mod Organizer release for Skyrim Special Edition.
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/6194/

Going to finish up my Orc-as-Imperial play-through then nuke my directory to start clean, fresh.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Going to finish up my Orc-as-Imperial play-through then nuke my directory to start clean, fresh.

gently caress you I was coming here to post this :mad:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

no bones about it posted:

gently caress you I was coming here to post this :mad:

Make no bones about it friend, the glory is mine :getin:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

KakerMix posted:

Oh man oh boy

I'm gonna have to reinstall all my mods and I don't even care

Good thing I never got around to actually playing the game! :suicide:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

enais mods are loving amazing, I've gone from not knowing about it to realising my life without it is a hollow dusty shell within about 9 seconds, it's p shattering

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Yeah, enai and MO rock. This is a good week.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Goddamn it I just uninstalled because I thought I was done with skyrim again. :negative:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

CascadeBeta posted:

Goddamn it I just uninstalled because I thought I was done with skyrim again. :negative:

We're never done with Skyrim.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Agents are GO! posted:

We're never done with Skyrim.

Don't suppose you know of a way to copy one NPC's appearance to another? Like if I wanted to change Mjoll to look and fight like Lamashtu from the Clockwork mod? I know my way around XEdit and am wondering if you simply can't do this without cracking open the Creation Kit.

There are a couple scripts that people made for TES5Edit but wouldn't you know it they don't 'get' SSEEdit and instead are hardcoded to look for Skyrim and not SSE.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Raygereio posted:

I think your biggest task will be figuring out how to let the player actually walk up a steep surface. That's handled by the game's physics and movement mechanics, which (besides perhaps via some SKSE plugin voodoo) aren't open for us to mess around with. Maybe you can accomplish what you want by giving the player a few moments of flight when they use the alpenstock.

Yep, I've found this to be extremely hard, and I'm not even sure SKSE voodoo can solve it that way. Potentially you could make it so that using the alpenstock creates an invisible cube X feet away for the player to jump up on, which might work. Once you use the alpenstock again, it deletes the previous cube and makes a new one.

Mind you, I'm more messing around. If I can't make this work it's no big deal, I just want to have fun and see if I can make something that would be useful in the game world.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

KakerMix posted:

I don't get how you guys can replay this game over and over.. I'm 80 hours deep in my Orc Warrior Wildcat with Stormcloaks play through and about halfway through the main quest and I'm losing the will to play the game again..

Combat is trivial.. a full orcish armor that's legendary, enchanted to +50 hp on items and 80 heavy armor, 70 block and such just makes the game so easy again. It started off perfectly hard and now it's the same old boring skyrim.

Bethsoft really makes great stories/settings but such terrible combat system.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I don't get how you guys can replay this game over and over.. I'm 80 hours deep in my Orc Warrior Wildcat with Stormcloaks play through and about halfway through the main quest and I'm losing the will to play the game again..

Combat is trivial.. a full orcish armor that's legendary, enchanted to +50 hp on items and 80 heavy armor, 70 block and such just makes the game so easy again. It started off perfectly hard and now it's the same old boring skyrim.

So stop playing and try something else?

There is something about having control over the game with the degree that we have that just grabs me, I dunno. Usually I do ~role playing~ things and play to the character rather than what makes sense as a person playing a game.
I just LOVE mods, the same reason I got so into Minecraft for so long was the same sort of hook that Skyrim (and Oblivion and Morrowind before that) has.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I just enjoy relaxing/walking around in a world. I'd say expectations are a big part of enjoyment as well. I expect a ES game to have a bad story, bad combat and probably a somewhat interesting world to explore. And, with mods, interesting choices for building a character. It'll be easy, but not necessarily boring because I wasn't expecting difficulty going in anyway--I just want to relax and build a character.

On the other hand, I couldn't get into Witcher 3 because I expected more and it frequently disappointed me by being just as bad as a bethesda game or actually worse in other areas, like exploration. Similarly, I haven't bought FO4 yet because my expectations for FO as a series increased unfairly after NV. I'd have a hard time lowering them enough to enjoy FO4 since the entire time I'd just be comparing to NV.

So long as they don't let a better developer touch ES my expectations will forever be low, I'll forever assume all pre-release stuff is lies and I'll continue enjoying the games. I'll sometimes think "man, I wish this played like dragon's dogma" but because I don't expect it to play like dragon's dogma it's fine. Perhaps you expected Wildcat to make and keep combat non-trivial?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Mod Organizer owns.

lmao

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

KakerMix posted:

Arthmoor weighed in - and pretty much how you'd expect.

:munch:

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Agreed on the combat system but I also think the standard warrior build is boring as hell anyway so that doesn't help. Mages get cool toys and Thieves get to have fun sneaking around but all a Warrior can do is the bog-standard click-click bethesda combat.

As an aside I'm doing a rune-focused mage build and it's a lot of fun. Having to think a little more tactically then just putting the cursor on a bad guy and clicking the button has spiced things up a bit.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

KakerMix posted:

Arthmoor Whining Again

:allears:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
MO! Oh man, I don't even know what I'm waiting on at this point. We have Ordinator and no ETA on SPERG, and we have Morrowloot, and MO... I should just do it, right?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

:laffo:

He's going to be real upset later.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
"Hand loaded guns to clueless losers users"

:magical:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
To be fair: He's not entirely wrong in that reply. Your average mod user probably doesn't need an installation order to manage, in addition to the loadorder. Especially when your average mod user actually is clueless. I mean, we're talking about the sort of person who needs a 30 minute "how to install SKSE" video and even then they screw it up because the actions of unpacking an archive and moving a handful of files are too complex for them. And in certain cases not paying attention to the installation order can screw things up. For example dragons not giving souls was common problem that could be caused by people having sorted the unofficial patches' plugin correctly, but having the UDBP's files be overwritten by the USKP ones.

I don't know what the current plans are for NMM2.0. But Tannin talked about the main thing being a basic mod manager and for things like MO-like features to be optional plugins. That's probably the best way to handle things.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Raygereio posted:

To be fair: He's not entirely wrong in that reply. Your average mod user probably doesn't need an installation order to manage, in addition to the loadorder. Especially when your average mod user actually is clueless. I mean, we're talking about the sort of person who needs a 30 minute "how to install SKSE" video and even then they screw it up because the actions of unpacking an archive and moving a handful of files are too complex for them. And in certain cases not paying attention to the installation order can screw things up. For example dragons not giving souls was common problem that could be caused by people having sorted the unofficial patches' plugin correctly, but having the UDBP's files be overwritten by the USKP ones.

I don't doubt his expertise, the beef I has is how hostile he is to users, the very reason that anyone pays attention to him at all. He couldn't be more of a stereotype if he tried, dude's peak is Skyrim modding and he will never do anything else that people respect him for. He just doesn't want you to know that.
Also motherfuckin CHESKO says 'Mod Organizer is rad as gently caress' before Art even waddles in the discussion and speaking for ~SSE modders~.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 16, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
What is the general "average user" experience for picking up MO? My gut feeling is that you either can't make heads or tails of it and quickly go back to whatever you were using before, or you actually figure it out, in which case how install order works is no longer some baffling mystery to you. Plus MO has a thing to help you make sure install and load order match.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
As a pretty clueless user I will attest that MO is super easy to use and if you can't figure out how to run a modded game through MO then I don't know what to say beyond you're unintelligent and/or severely lacking in ability and/or willingness to read simple instructions.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mod Organizer is so good that I can't go back to using anything other than maybe Wrye Bash/Flash for managing mods and am waiting for NMM 2.0 before delving into Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE modding as Mod Organizer 2 is unfinished and I'm to stubborn to use anything else at this point.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

KakerMix posted:

I don't doubt his expertise, the beef I has is how hostile he is to users, the very reason that anyone pays attention to him at all. He couldn't be more of a stereotype if he tried, dude's peak is Skyrim modding and he will never do anything else that people respect him for. He just doesn't want you to know that.
Also motherfuckin CHESKO says 'Mod Organizer is rad as gently caress' before Art even waddles in the discussion and speaking for ~SSE modders~.

Now, now, Arthmoor is also know for his Furry RPG with two failed kickstarters that's on steam greenlight now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P-10t-Xuvk

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Agents are GO! posted:

Now, now, Arthmoor is also know for his Furry RPG with two failed kickstarters that's on steam greenlight now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P-10t-Xuvk

I know about but haven't ever looked at the game ever. I have an idea in my head of what this is going to look like, let's see if I'm right after I watch it:

Going to be very similar to Skyrim since Art doesn't have any new ideas at all and will do what Minecraft modders tried to do: Make Minecraft but BETTER
Going to have poo poo art and design
Bad voices and dialog
"sweeping" music

brb

LMAO goddamn did I not expect that bear dude that talks to you to be doing an impression of Link from those CDI games

Skyrim but with 100% more shmultzy graphic effects akin to someone that just found Photoshop and flips all the filters on, floating seedling things all up in your face, the lack of transition animations from moving one way to the next, the total lack of any change in movement when walking up a thin log.
Total lack of originality, oh boy let's showcase two bear people in the woods with giant glowing green balls with lifebar billboards right over everyone's heads what the gently caress.
The voices and faces lmao
And the music, gently caress man I didn't expect to have a 'you have a very pretty voice will you sing for my EPIC VIDEOGAME'-friend singing cameo for ~Dreamtime~.

Like I said, dude has peaked with Live Another Life and Unoffical Patches for Oblvion and Skyrim.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 16, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
Stand tall my son, stand brave
As you answer, sword in hand
To the calling of the drums

Don't quit your... whatever it is your do, Arthmoor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

There once was a hero named Arthmoor the Red
Who put an Oblivion Gate in old Rorikstead
...something something an orc shows up something something loose BSA...I haven't done the bard quest yet what do you want?