Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
If you shoot Sony you can get a license for Capture One for forty bucks. It will only work with Sony lens (you can use other lenses fine, you just won't get automatic distortion and CA correction) and camera profiles and only open ARW raw files. The newest version is faster than hell and has all same features as Lightroom. Cheap Capture One is viable if you only shoot with Sony equipment though, its not able to work on the raw files from other systems. Otherwise it will cost you $250 or so and they do the usual thing with charging you for each new major release.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Why is the Sony version so much cheaper?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I guess Phase One and Sony have an arrangement. Instead of making their own crappy RAW converter like most camera manufacturers Sony contracts to them.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Chiming in on the discussion, I'm a cheap bastard, I tried the free things and I tried after shot. I felt lightroom was the best choice and signed up for that one lightroom tutorial site free trial and then canceled as soon as I got the 7.99 a month discount.

Lamhirh
Sep 8, 2012
I'm looking into buying my first nice digital camera, both for my career and for amateur hobbyist nature/street stuff. I do lighting and scenic design for theatre, and occasionally weddings, corporate events, etc. I'm a student for several months yet, but I'm willing to invest in something that will last.

The goal is to accurately capture the lighting on the stage. This is hard, especially when actors start running around. Flash isn't an option, and it's usually low light. On borrowed cameras, I've had trouble getting clear shots. The exposure time ends up longer to compensate for low light, which blurs movement. My understanding is that if I can manually control the aperture and exposure time, this should be less of an issue. Would love if anyone has any experience doing concert or theatre lighting, and can offer advice.

I've been looking around at cameras under a thousand dollars, and despite initially being most interested in DSLRs due to my time playing around with an inherited film SLR, for a bit I've been leaning towards a Sony a6000. I'd love to reuse my old Canon FD lenses on a mirrorless body. I might end up wanting an auto-focus lens anyway when actors are on-stage, but it seems solid all-around. It having a viewfinder is also a sticking point.

Today, though, I saw a listing for a used Canon 5D Mk II. My research hasn't really gone to the higher-end models, and I'm not sure whether I'd benefit from such a nice body. A full frame sensor would help a lot with low light, right? They're saying $850 for the body, and an additional $150 for a Rokinon 85mm 1.4 lens. Seems like it's this? https://www.amazon.com/Rokinon-85M-C-Aspherical-Fixed-Canon/dp/B0025EWXEU 46k shutter count, but condition otherwise looks great. Would hope to bargain down a little, since that's about the limit I can afford.

Basically, is the old, high-end DSLR substantially nicer than a sleek new mirrorless? Broadly, I'm sure the answer is yes, but outside of a studio, and inexperienced, am I likely to notice? I care more about photo quality than video quality. And if so, could I reasonably haggle them down?

VVVV Edit: Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. That's why I like to ask for expert advice before huge purchasing decisions. Thinking about it, though, the movement isn't nearly as dramatic as something like sports photography, and if there are a lot of other advantages I could probably do without autofocus.

Lamhirh fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 6, 2016

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Just so you know Rokinon (It's really a rebranded Samyang) lenses are manual focus, and the 5D Mk II isn't going to have any focus assist features to make it usable for moving subjects.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Lamhirh posted:

I'm looking into buying my first nice digital camera, both for my career and for amateur hobbyist nature/street stuff. I do lighting and scenic design for theatre, and occasionally weddings, corporate events, etc. I'm a student for several months yet, but I'm willing to invest in something that will last.

The goal is to accurately capture the lighting on the stage. This is hard, especially when actors start running around. Flash isn't an option, and it's usually low light. On borrowed cameras, I've had trouble getting clear shots. The exposure time ends up longer to compensate for low light, which blurs movement. My understanding is that if I can manually control the aperture and exposure time, this should be less of an issue. Would love if anyone has any experience doing concert or theatre lighting, and can offer advice.

I've been looking around at cameras under a thousand dollars, and despite initially being most interested in DSLRs due to my time playing around with an inherited film SLR, for a bit I've been leaning towards a Sony a6000. I'd love to reuse my old Canon FD lenses on a mirrorless body. I might end up wanting an auto-focus lens anyway when actors are on-stage, but it seems solid all-around. It having a viewfinder is also a sticking point.

Today, though, I saw a listing for a used Canon 5D Mk II. My research hasn't really gone to the higher-end models, and I'm not sure whether I'd benefit from such a nice body. A full frame sensor would help a lot with low light, right? They're saying $850 for the body, and an additional $150 for a Rokinon 85mm 1.4 lens. Seems like it's this? https://www.amazon.com/Rokinon-85M-C-Aspherical-Fixed-Canon/dp/B0025EWXEU 46k shutter count, but condition otherwise looks great. Would hope to bargain down a little, since that's about the limit I can afford.

Basically, is the old, high-end DSLR substantially nicer than a sleek new mirrorless? Broadly, I'm sure the answer is yes, but outside of a studio, and inexperienced, am I likely to notice? I care more about photo quality than video quality. And if so, could I reasonably haggle them down?

VVVV Edit: Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. That's why I like to ask for expert advice before huge purchasing decisions. Thinking about it, though, the movement isn't nearly as dramatic as something like sports photography, and if there are a lot of other advantages I could probably do without autofocus.

I shoot on a Nikon d40 which retails for like <$80 now. If you can find a body that'll do ISO 6400 or above you can spend more money on good glass. You might not have the latest bells and whistles but the d40 is like a 15 year old camera and it does fine, once you understand the limitations

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

If you want to judge the a6000 in low light searching flickr helps.
https://www.flickr.com/search/?view_all=1&text=a6000%20lowlight

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Manual focussing in low light is hard as gently caress even with focus assist features. Autofocus in lowlight is often not terribly reliable depending on the lens and body you have. I shoot a few things similar to what you are describing and mostly what you want is something that can shoot at high ISO with the least possible noise. That 5D2 will be fine for that but so will many other options. Basically if you can get usable pictures at ~6400 ISO then you'll be fine.

The reason for that is because ISO is the trade-off you're going to have to make for having reasonably fast shots (1/125 or faster) at the sort of apertures you'll have on long lenses. If you can be right up against the stage, you can use a shorter lens which generally have wider apertures available, but if you aren't then you'll need something in the 70-200mm range and, unless you can drop a couple of grand on a single lens, you'll be shooting at much narrower apertures so you'll be cranking up the ISO to compensate. In general full frame cameras like the 5D have better lowlight capability (less noise at equivalent ISO) than cameras with smaller sensors.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I used to play around with a Canon T4i or something and some cheap lenses, entry level hobbyist equipment, but got out of the hobby for a while and sold my gear. Looking to get back in because I'm going on safari next year. Need something reasonably priced and good for handheld shooting. Thinking used T6S + Tamron 70-300 VC. Any better suggestions?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
What's "reasonably priced" to you? What's your budget?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

ExecuDork posted:

What's "reasonably priced" to you? What's your budget?

Well under a grand preferably, closer to a grand in reality, but I can be flexible if it's worth it to spend more.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I am thinking about getting my wife her first DSLR for christmas... Years back I got her an s110 and she likes it but obviously there are certain limitations on it..

She is really great at taking pictures and editing them but I think she would love a dslr... I really wanted it to be a surprise but after reading the OP about ergonomics and handling being such a big deal I am not sure how I would go about surprising her. She has pretty small hands and I would imagine being able to reach the controls would potentially be an issue with some of the cameras.

I was thinking about a Canon 60D used from KEH with a grade of EX+ with battery and charger for $528

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have girl sized hands and crop sensor bodies fit me fine, but it might be worth spoiling the surprise and have her try a few models out for size and see what suits her best.

The other thing is to make sure she actually wants to shoot a dslr. Does she shoot everything on auto or scene modes, or does she genuinely want more control over the results. It's one of those jumps that's less 'getting better pictures by default' (although it is true to a degree) and more 'learning how different shutters and apertures affect the result and knowing which lens is right for each situation'. That step isn't always right for everyone.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Maybe get her a mirrorless instead of a dslr if you are concerned about size. What is your budget?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Just get whatever you like and that also fits your hands, so when she gets tired of it you'll be good to go.

Or maybe you don't buy family members gifts the same way I do. . . .

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

fyallm posted:

I was thinking about a Canon 60D used from KEH with a grade of EX+ with battery and charger for $528

Nothing says "I love you" like a used DSLR.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

EL BROMANCE posted:

I have girl sized hands and crop sensor bodies fit me fine, but it might be worth spoiling the surprise and have her try a few models out for size and see what suits her best.

The other thing is to make sure she actually wants to shoot a dslr. Does she shoot everything on auto or scene modes, or does she genuinely want more control over the results. It's one of those jumps that's less 'getting better pictures by default' (although it is true to a degree) and more 'learning how different shutters and apertures affect the result and knowing which lens is right for each situation'. That step isn't always right for everyone.

I believe she uses manual setup, and does a ton of editing once it is on the computer. I know she isn't using adobe or anything but her pictures come out really good. She has mentioned off handidly that she wants to sell her photos some day but knows she is limited because of the camera...

quote:

Maybe get her a mirrorless instead of a dslr if you are concerned about size. What is your budget?

I know not alot about this? Maybe?

quote:

Just get whatever you like and that also fits your hands, so when she gets tired of it you'll be good to go.

She loves taking pictures and I highly doubt she will ever get tired of it.

quote:

Maybe I misread the OP? Seemed like the smart decision on most DSLR's is to buy a used one because they hold up so well over time and you can get a better camera for your budget? Sure I could always buy her a brand new lesser quality camera, but I thought after reading the OP a very nice used means you can get a better camera for the same $$$.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

akadajet posted:

I wouldn't mind a used camera over new, no point in spending more cash or, going down levels because it HAS to be new if it's a gift.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
As a married man, I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, please do not buy your wife a used camera for Christmas.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Mightaswell posted:

As a married man, I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, please do not buy your wife a used camera for Christmas.

Why? I believe my wife wants to get into the field, read the OP and it seems for the budget we have set for gifts it would make more sense to get used and better equipment than new and not as good.

We love thrift shopping and repurposing items. I am not seeing the problem unless your S/O requires new things.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

fyallm posted:

Why? I believe my wife wants to get into the field, read the OP and it seems for the budget we have set for gifts it would make more sense to get used and better equipment than new and not as good.

We love thrift shopping and repurposing items. I am not seeing the problem unless your S/O requires new things.

60d is a good crop body that has the higher end controls and you won't be out a ton of money if the dSLR is too much camera (size/weight wise) for her to want to carry around. If your wife is cool with used (it should look pretty good at that rating, only tell should be shutter count) then get it. I'm guessing that based on her background she will likely expect a lens that zooms as opposed to a prime, so if she really gets into it anf wants primes later you can be a hero with a 50mm f1.8 or 24mm pancake for her birthday/anniversary for not that much in photo dollars.

What did you budget for lens wise?

Hokkaido Anxiety fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 15, 2016

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

fyallm posted:

Keh's become quite lovely so try adorama.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Go used. Ignore the prima-donna hypochondriacs deluding themselves about ridiculous nonsense.

From what you've written here and nothing else, I'd say a used DSLR is an ideal present for your wife. I think the gamble on KEH is worth it - if their quality has declined, it's from a very high peak - and that's a reasonable budget you've mentioned ($550).

EDIT to avoid doublepost

my summer at fat camp posted:

Well under a grand preferably, closer to a grand in reality, but I can be flexible if it's worth it to spend more.
This kinda got left behind. Yeah, a grand is a good budget top-end, to get seriously better than a (for example) $800 setup you'd need to jump to the $2000 range or higher.

I'm not a Canon-shooter so I'm not familiar with the T6S but I haven't seen anybody say anything really bad about it. Nobody makes a bad camera these days anyways, so if it fits with what you're willing to spend I'd say go for it. Likewise, the Tamron 70-300 has a very good reputation around here. The basic kit zoom that probably comes with the T6S is also not likely to suck, you won't outgrow it immediately and it's handy to have a wide-angle zoom for basic walkin' around stuff.

So, if you can get it for a price you're happy with, T6S + kit zoom + Tamron 70-300 is a good idea.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 15, 2016

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

fyallm posted:

Do what you do for your relationship and don't let goons with only a snowflake of context tell you what you can and can't get for your partner

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I once through it was a good idea to give an electric can opener as a Christmas gift to my SO, so a used DSLR sounds like a dream gift in comparison.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

yeah why would your partner be upset that you got a nicer camera for cheaper rather than a brand new crappier one? Unless there's massive cosmetic damage I think they would be pumped

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Some people are REALLY WEIRD about things that aren't absolutely brand new untouched out of the package. They probably also get excited about unboxing videos

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I'd buy a used camera, just wouldn't give one as a gift unless it was a nice film camera or something. But if it's something you think she'd enjoy then go for it.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Maybe refurb would be a good compromise. A little cheaper, but still cleaned, inspected and with a bit of warranty.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Mightaswell posted:

sounds like you're married to a real jewel

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I'm personally very offended if I've been given a thoughtful gift that was touched by anything other than the hands of workers at the assembly plant

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ansel autisms posted:

I'm personally very offended if I've been given a thoughtful gift that was touched by anything other than the hands of workers at the assembly plant

:yossame:

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

ansel autisms posted:

:frogc00l:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
You people and your relationships, dump your wife and buy yourself two cameras OP.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

8th-snype posted:

You people and your relationships, dump your wife and buy yourself two cameras OP.

Then you can dual wield. :whoa:

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

akadajet posted:

Then you can dual wield. :whoa:

No Wife, No Fucks

But for reals there's nothing wrong with gifting used things if you know the person well enough to know they'd be cool with it. Just don't do it if they think that human-touched things are trash for poors

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 16, 2016

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Dog Case posted:

Just don't do it if they think that human-touched things are trash for poors

In which case you should break up with them and find someone less entitled.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Some people just really love peeling off that transparent sticker over easy to scratch parts of an electronic device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

xzzy posted:

Some people just really love peeling off that transparent sticker over easy to scratch parts of an electronic device.

You mean you take that off?

• Locked thread