Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A Feast for Odin: Uwe Rosenberg's latest 1-4 player worker-placement game. Send your Vikings to hunt, fish, and trade goods then turn to your board to arrange your polyomino loot to cover bad spaces. Discover Iceland and fight for the English crown. Feed your Vikings beans and saltfish. Drop the seven pound box on the heads of your enemies.

Join the score attack community online and compete with other sad strangers in thrilling solo play!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I think the main issue with X-com is that everything resolves by the same not-that-great-or-exciting push-your-luck dice mechanic.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

al-azad posted:

Join the score attack community online and compete with other sad strangers in thrilling solo play!

There's nothing about playing a solo game of A Feast for Odin that's any more sad than paying a single player game of, say, Civ VI :colbert:

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Fenn the Fool! posted:

No, on paper I agree with you. Maybe, after everyone at the table has a good deal of experience with the game, it's all very calculated and controlled but, then again, maybe it's not. I definitely want to play it more before I make any kind of final judgement, but my first impression is that it seems pretty random.

Do you think that maybe making a little chart that has a listing of all the potential assets, as well as all the potential cards each corporation could potentially play during the negotiation phase, would help to alleviate that?

Unrelated:

Coolstuffinc has copies of Captain Sonar available if any of you were looking to pick it up.
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/227153

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Gloomhaven looks pretty neat and, despite my already being in the middle of a legacy game (Seafall, I like it more than most people seem to?), I'm pretty tempted... anyone get it yet? I think Kickstarters have it by now, right?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Gloomhaven looks pretty neat and, despite my already being in the middle of a legacy game (Seafall, I like it more than most people seem to?), I'm pretty tempted... anyone get it yet? I think Kickstarters have it by now, right?

Probably no one has it yet, I believe the shipping process -just- started.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Now, you only draw 3 cards at a time, and you have to make those last across 4-6 deals, based on the number of players.

Just one nitpick based on my reading of the rules - isn't it supposed to be 3-5 deals, determined by the event card on the previous round?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Late because I was having Christmas Company Dinner: What is Captain Sonar and can I cajole my family into playing boardgames with it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

They kept having problems with production copies, but the final version of the game should (supposedly) be to backers and pre-orderers by the end of Jan. I pre-ordered this and am pretty hype about it, so I'll post some thoughts as I play through the game.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Is there any way to pre-order Gloomhaven now that the Kickstarter is long gone and it's shipping? I couldn't find any up to date info on the cephalofair site.

VVV Sweet, thanks!

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 15, 2016

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Mikey Purp posted:

Is there any way to pre-order Gloomhaven now that the Kickstarter is long gone and it's shipping? I couldn't find any up to date info on the cephalofair site.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/cph0204.html?utm_source=boardgameprices.com&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Product_Feed&utm_term=gloomhaven

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Late because I was having Christmas Company Dinner: What is Captain Sonar and can I cajole my family into playing boardgames with it.

It's sorta like competitive space alert with a battleship theme and I'm jealous if you can

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Saw gloomhaven on man vs meeple and it's throwing off way too many cones of dunshire vibes for me to be interested in it...

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Do you think that maybe making a little chart that has a listing of all the potential assets, as well as all the potential cards each corporation could potentially play during the negotiation phase, would help to alleviate that?

No, because if there is an issue it would be about high powered cards coming up when a player who's already in the lead is in a good position to grab them easily, or a low ranking player consistently having underwhelming cards come up when they're in the same position. A list of "these cards are really powerful and you should watch out for them" could be helpful, but you'd want that list to be written by players with a lot more experience about the game than I have now. The asset effects in general seemed to be pretty universal, I didn't see any that leaned in any real way towards one corporation, strategy, or even being ahead/behind on victory points; the really good assets were universally valuable and the not so good ones universally mediocre.

SilverMike posted:

Just one nitpick based on my reading of the rules - isn't it supposed to be 3-5 deals, determined by the event card on the previous round?

No, you only draw on your turn. There are 3-5 deals in each round, but each player doesn't necessarily get a turn in a given round. I was glossing over stuff because it's confusing to explain, works fine during play though.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Got an email notice, to spam folder of course, that Mechs vs. Minions wave 2 is shipping
Maybe get it before Christmas if you ordered it

I got my shipping notice on Tuesday, and it has been delivered today! I'm eager to crack that bad boy open when I get home.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

w00tmonger posted:

Saw gloomhaven on man vs meeple and it's throwing off way too many cones of dunshire vibes for me to be interested in it...

What does this mean?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Xelkelvos posted:

What does this mean?

Cones of Dunshire is a fictitious game - a caricature of needlessly complicated opaque nerd games. Apparently some nerds went and made a real version of it which is (from what I understand) completely opaque and ridiculous to the extent of being unplayable.

e.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

w00tmonger posted:

I have the same feeling. Just looks like it is pretty inelegant because it tries to do ALL THE THINGS. I hope I am proven wrong.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Cones of Dunshire is a fictitious game - a caricature of needlessly complicated opaque nerd games. Apparently some nerds went and made a real version of it which is (from what I understand) completely opaque and ridiculous to the extent of being unplayable.

e.

Not just "some nerds" it was Mayfair games.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

al-azad posted:

Not just "some nerds" it was Mayfair games.

:colbert: And who works at Mayfair games? Some fashionable, cool, and completely not-autistic people?

e. I should be nice they sent me a free purple stable when my copy of Agricola only had 3.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

CommonShore posted:

that's how i feel about every game from america (except resistance i guess)

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Thinking about it, I want to run a low effort Deception: Murder in Honk Kong pbp. I want to see if maybe it is the group I'm playing with, or the player count.

Quote this post and add your name at the bottom if you want to play some Deception. PMs preferable, but not mandatory. I'm going to cap the game at 5 players for a few games to check out some things.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cones of Dunshire is what stupid people think modern boardgames are. Unsurprising from a show as aggressively unfunny and middlebrow as Parks and Rec.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I really love the name "Cones of Dunshire" and I think that alone is a brilliant euro parody, but the game itself (even just as the joke) is really lame and overdone

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

sector_corrector posted:

Cones of Dunshire is what stupid people think modern boardgames are.

I dunno it's easy to just say "stupid people," but the average normal person has no idea about modern boardgames. I'm always hyper aware of this fact, and it's why I'm very afraid to suddenly spring a complicated boardgame onto a normal person. It doesn't really have anything to do with being stupid or not, it's more just that if you say, "Want to play a boardgame?" 95% of the population will get a certain idea in their head. When you then open up a euro and start pulling out 100 chits and covering the entire table with pieces of cardboard, the first reaction most people will have is probably going to be that they thought they agreed to play a board game, not whatever it is you are piling onto the table.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yes, please use the thread approved nomenclature "filthy normie" when referring to such people rather than the crass "stupid people".

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It took 10 years of movie adaptions to stop seeing headlines like "POW! BIFF! ZAM! Comics aren't just for kids!"

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I told my mom I wanted to bring over some board games and she said "as long as it's not too complicated like that Risk game your dad plays" but I got her play and understand a deck building game so I think there's hope there. Next up is Viticulture and I think the high production values in a game like that can help dispel the "games are for nerdz!" view that some people may have.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Video gamers are usually the easiest converts to board gaming for probably obvious reasons.

I took two guys who had never played a real board game before but had video game experience and just dumped em straight into Twilight Imperium as their first game and they did fine.

Although this may just apply to strategy gamers, which is something both of them were.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

al-azad posted:

It took 10 years of movie adaptions to stop seeing headlines like "POW! BIFF! ZAM! Comics aren't just for kids!"

Comic book movies are also things that aren't more nuanced or difficult to experience than their pulpy parents, whereas modern board games that aren't Codenames and its ilk are at least a bit more complex than Taboo. Not necessarily a lot more complex, like especially when you include games like Poker or Bridge, but probably a bit. At the very least it involves learning something new and by and large people just don't want to learn stuff during leisure, especially like parents which is what most people mean in this thread when they say "family" rather than kids or spouses.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
If I know someone well enough I can usually just be like "This looks complicated but it's fun if you give it a chance," but a lot of times my wife will be like "Do you want to try to play a boardgame with (names of two people I barely know) when they come over?" And I usually just say, "No, let's just have beers or something."

Even if I pick out something that I feel is a good "gateway game," I don't want people looking bored and feeling like I'm making them play this involved game at gunpoint. I just feel that there is an inherent "bait and switch" in the question "Anyone want to play a boardgame?" when you have a very different definition of the word compared to most people. Usually I will do something like, "It's more complicated than most games, so let me know if you still want to play..."

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What are some good games for 5 players? I've got friends coming over for most of an afternoon and we've already played 7 wonders and dominions to death. Games like Mafia and Werewolf are popular with only half the group, so I'm leaning away from Avalon.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Everyone say Kemet.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Countblanc posted:

Comic book movies are also things that aren't more nuanced or difficult to experience than their pulpy parents, whereas modern board games that aren't Codenames and its ilk are at least a bit more complex than Taboo. Not necessarily a lot more complex, like especially when you include games like Poker or Bridge, but probably a bit. At the very least it involves learning something new and by and large people just don't want to learn stuff during leisure, especially like parents which is what most people mean in this thread when they say "family" rather than kids or spouses.

Bridge is a great example, because the rules are pretty simple but there's a great deal of depth. If you play against experienced Bridge players they are just going to dunk on you all day.

I have many memories from being a tiny kid at my Grandma's house for Christmas or Thanksgiving where my grandparents, parents, and my aunts/uncles all busted out the card tables and played Rook, Bridge, or Pinochle into the wee hours of the morning. I'm pretty sure enjoying board games is in my DNA.

The hard part about introducing games to people isn't necessarily that the game is complex, but when there are a lot of rules they have to understand and learn up front and the final objective of "how to win" isn't clear.
And it depends on experience too. Anyone can pick up Ticket to Ride or Dominion right away, because the rules are pretty simple and there are few mechanical things they need to do on their turn.
I'd never dare try to teach Lord of the Rings LCG to my mom, but she'd probably pick up Tichu in a single hand because she's played so many similar games before. Anyone who's played Magic more than a few times would probably do just fine with LOTR LCG right away though.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
It's weird to me that for most countries its abnormal to play boardgames. In Germany its considered weird if you never played a designer boardgame. Only 15% of people under 50 play board- or cardgames games less than once a year, and both genders play them equally. I could imagine that france is similar, but i dont know.

That said, it looks like the American Mainstream is slowly catching up. Maybe.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

LLSix posted:

What are some good games for 5 players? I've got friends coming over for most of an afternoon and we've already played 7 wonders and dominions to death. Games like Mafia and Werewolf are popular with only half the group, so I'm leaning away from Avalon.

Archipelago
Dominant Species
Fury of Dracula
Game of thrones
Kemet
Scythe
Terra Mystica

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

discount cathouse posted:

It's weird to me that for most countries its abnormal to play boardgames. In Germany its considered weird if you never played a designer boardgame. Only 15% of people under 50 play board- or cardgames games less than once a year, and both genders play them equally. I could imagine that france is similar, but i dont know.

It's because monopoly and risk are extremely boring and terrible but that's all that's pushed at walmart and target until very recently. That's what happens when Hasbro has such a stranglehold on the toy industry. Now you can get good designer games at major retailers but you'd also have to be looking for them too.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

LLSix posted:

Looking at my game shelf:
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective (not much of a gamey game, but good at any player count)
Dixit is good as a lighter game
I've been really diggin' on Fuji Flush recently as another fast and light game

Chomp8645 posted:

Everyone say Kemet.

Battlestar Galactica :v:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

discount cathouse posted:

It's weird to me that for most countries its abnormal to play boardgames. In Germany its considered weird if you never played a designer boardgame. Only 15% of people under 50
play board- or cardgames games less than once a year, and both genders play them equally. I could imagine that france is similar, but i dont know.

It's a much heavier youth scene here. I used to think it was just because I lived in a college town but now that I attend meetups further away from universities I still mostly see people who are like 18-34. There's always a few lifer old dudes but for the most part it's younger people playing social games. I know very, very few people who game with their parents unless again you include things like Poker or other American Classics of Game - Gaming isn't really a family activity here, it's something you do with relative strangers at meet-ups or with your gamer friends. The exception here is older people who are having kids and teaching them games like a few people I know, but that hasn't really caught on too much yet just because family friendly designer games (read: most people don't want to teach their kids wargaming) are as Chill la Chill said only just now starting to hit the store shelves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

LLSix posted:

From my collection, roughly in order of complexity:

Ticket to Ride
Sushi Go Party
Camel Up
Loony Quest
Between Two Cities
Colt Express
Libertalia
Roll for the Galaxy
Eminent Domain + Escalation
Lords of Waterdeep
Kemet
Keyflower
Fury of Dracula
Food Chain Magnate

Things I haven't gotten to play yet but support 5:
Forbidden Desert
Argent
Viticulture
Steampunk Rally
Istanbul

I can give small write ups on anything specifically if you, or anyone else, would like.