Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

comingafteryouall posted:

Decoration Day is a perfect song, wish Isbell would an album of that.

Agreed.

He at least still plays it live and it still rocks hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Random observation: My wife and I have been binge watching Nashville (still on season 1, so if it goes off the rails later, don't tell me), and even though it is largely pop country, I'm pretty goddamned impressed with its soundtrack. More than once, I've been bummed that they "wasted" a song on the show instead of having a real artist do it. Even the pop stuff is still pretty stripped down and good compared to what's currently being farted out by the giant hitmaking apparatus.

For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEzTFCIAfhg

Also, going to see Sturgill Simpson on Friday. Will report back, but I expect it will be awesome, based on his recent setlists.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Saw Sturgill in Ithaca earlier tonight. Probably one of the best experiences I've ever had. Something about the way that he'll nearly go off the stage so that the rest of the band gets to shine really strikes a chord with me.

Tuesday night was Jason Isbell up in Burlington. Nothing new to report on that. It's an amazing show right now (especially the lights). Saw him back in February on this tour and it was just as good the second time.

Listened to the new John Prine on the long drive back tonight and it's super good.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Margo Price was on WTF podcast last week and goddam....I had no idea that each lyric in Hands Of Time actually happened to her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnTzhs0VWzw

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Anybody want to share older alt-country tracks?
I quite like this one by Freakwater.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZOxaBW3Xn8

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

So I'm finally getting around to giving "American Band" a full spin and just a few tracks in, my question is, who the gently caress picked those tracks to release before the album dropped? This is totally solid but I don't even feel bad about the way I was reacting earlier -- it's like they went out of their way to pick the least interesting songs to debut.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

4 songs from Isbell's appearance on Prairie Home Companion.

http://www.rollingstone.com/country/videos/watch-jason-isbells-performance-on-prairie-home-companion-w450622

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Holy gently caress American Band touches on some heavy subjects. Listening through it, there are maybe two songs that haven't left me sitting going "god drat dude..." I kinda like it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Tickets bought for Corb Lund solo show at Hotel Utah in SF December 6th. My wife commutes there every few weeks and that's one week she's there so I'm tagging along for a night and we're going to check it out. I haven't ever seen him without the band.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

If I wanted to start checking out Willie Nelson where should I start?

EDIT: Merle Haggard too while I'm asking

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

plz dont pull out posted:

Willie:
Shotgun Willie
Phases and Stages
Stardust

Merle:
Mama Tried
Sing Me Back Home
Pride in What I Am

All six are near-perfect albums. Some folks will tell you to start with Red Headed Stranger for Willie, but I don't think it's a great representation of what he does so well.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If you're going for Shotgun Willie and Phases & Stages then I would recommend just getting the "Complete Atlantic Sessions" box because it has remastered versions of those two great albums and a fantastic live album that had never been released before and I've always felt like Willie was better live than in studio.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Pancho and Lefty.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

kenny powerzzz posted:

Pancho and Lefty.

And this will help you transition to Townes if you haven't listened to him before.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Teatro is the best Willie Nelson album and spirit is pretty good too

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Wardruna tonight, so loving stoked :whatup:

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Just watched the forever country video and Dolly looks like a zombie at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9gAXwYZtfk

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Sturgill Simpson was just nominated for two Grammys, Best Country album and Album of the Year, after being entirely snubbed by the CMAs. The CMAs have never looked more out of touch.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Happy Hippo posted:

Sturgill Simpson was just nominated for two Grammys, Best Country album and Album of the Year, after being entirely snubbed by the CMAs. The CMAs have never looked more out of touch.

Same for Jason Isbell. I believe I remember Stugil saying on the WTF podcast that Jason submitted his album to the CMAs but they rejected it. This was when Something More Than Free was the #1 Country record on Billboard.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Hey, they gave Chris Stapleton an award, what more do you want?

Look at the bright side, if Nashville didn't solely support big hat and shiny dress country, the awesome crop of current alt country artists might be tempted to temper it a bit and try to get rich with a hit. We get better music since The Machine won't touch them. Yet.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Teatro is taut as a loving razor blade and has Emmylou on backing vocals.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Phanatic posted:

Teatro is taut as a loving razor blade and has Emmylou on backing vocals.

Is there anything where Emmy Lou sings backup/harmony that isn't really good? It hasn't all been amazing, but I can't think of anything she has been a part of that I didn't enjoy.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

How is Blue Rodeo live? I'm familiar with a few of their songs but wanted to know if its worth seeing them.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

El Jebus posted:

Is there anything where Emmy Lou sings backup/harmony that isn't really good? It hasn't all been amazing, but I can't think of anything she has been a part of that I didn't enjoy.

She is the greatest backup vocalist of all time.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
This thread appears to have died of lead poisoning? Or were the chicken farmers reassigned to missile production?

Tias
May 25, 2008

I lurk, but absolutely detest mainstream country, so I don't feel compelled to post so often.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My wife commutes SEA-SF every couple weeks so I joined her last week to catch Corb.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I used to listen to quite a bit of country when I was younger but then drifted away from it for quite some time. Recently began listening again and hoping to maybe can grab some recommendations. I've found myself gravitating to a darker sounding songs but preferably something still with a little kick to it. Things that are country but with that bit of swamp blues that is heavy and maybe some of it electric.

Not quite all of that, but really been digging Colter Wall the past few weeks - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmBbkkt-LIs

There was also a band called The Gracious Few who comprised members of Candlebox and Live, they've only done one album but they did a few of their songs "front porch" style and loved that sound they got - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUagm8Sowgk

Tias
May 25, 2008

It's pretty dumb to complain about music and then not offer something I like, sorry:

I'm really into Hank 3( though he appears not to like flying, and so he probably won't come to scandinavia soon) and Joe Buck Yourself, whom I had the pleasure of listening to last year. He just rapped off his poo poo playing really fast, and using a drum pedal on his guitarcase for percussion, that owned.

Also, I grew up on Hank Williams I, which is probably the best thing ever :allears:

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Tias posted:

It's pretty dumb to complain about music and then not offer something I like, sorry:

I'm really into Hank 3( though he appears not to like flying, and so he probably won't come to scandinavia soon) and Joe Buck Yourself, whom I had the pleasure of listening to last year. He just rapped off his poo poo playing really fast, and using a drum pedal on his guitarcase for percussion, that owned.

Also, I grew up on Hank Williams I, which is probably the best thing ever :allears:

I live a few hours from him and haven't caught a Hank 3 show in a long time. He has had to relocate and has been on a break for almost 2 years I think. I like all his stuff but the last two albums aren't my favorite, brotherhood being the worst for me.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Has anyone picked up the new Gillian Welch? I didn't even know it came out. Guess I haven't been listening to NPR enough. Just wondering if there's anything amazing on it. I think I have most of those songs already.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Been really enjoying Margo Price's debut album recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKj5uQ5WcFs

Tias
May 25, 2008

kenny powerzzz posted:

I live a few hours from him and haven't caught a Hank 3 show in a long time. He has had to relocate and has been on a break for almost 2 years I think. I like all his stuff but the last two albums aren't my favorite, brotherhood being the worst for me.

If you ever see him, could you tell him there's a bunch of goons in Denmark who really, really love his poo poo and he should come play?

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Tias posted:

If you ever see him, could you tell him there's a bunch of goons in Denmark who really, really love his poo poo and he should come play?

Haha I'm sure I'll see him when he starts doing shows again and actually he's surprisingly easy to talk to. Pretty much if you wait around after the show you can get a picture and autograph and a few words in.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Tias posted:

Joe Buck is awesome. I saw him open for Wayne Hancock. Same deal. Rapped his set turbo speed but he actually had a bass drum up there for rhythm.

Incidentally if you like Hank 1 or 3, or western swing, check out Wayne - "A-town Blues" is a good place to start. "Viper of Melody" is good too. Hank 3 covered Wayne's songs "87 Southbound" and "Thunderstorms & Neon Signs".

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 14, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

Joe Buck is awesome. I saw him open for Wayne Hancock. Same deal. Rapped his set turbo speed but he actually had a bass drum up there for rhythm.

Incidentally if you like Hank 1 or 3, or western swing, check out Wayne - "A-town Blues" is a good place to start. "Viper of Melody" is good too. Hank 3 covered Wayne's songs "87 Southbound" and "Thunderstorms & Neon Signs".

This is good, thanks!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Burning Rain posted:

Been really enjoying Margo Price's debut album recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKj5uQ5WcFs

That album is one of those rare ones and I can listen to without skipping tracks.

Also check her band Buffalo Clover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhU3eMdPwy0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwVH4r-ixmI

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Thanks for the link to her band. I'm only so-so on her solo, since I think she's trying a bit to hard to be Tammy Wynette. Her band, OTOH, sounds pretty great!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
They definitely qualify as psych folk, any Cult of Youth fans here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
oops

TasmanianX fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 20, 2016