Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

isn't there any chance to hope?

you tell me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I said before that elections should be replaced with endurance races. People mocked my ideas at the time, but that was when everyone was sure Clinton would win. I guarantee you Trump wouldn't have won an endurance race

Gary Johnson would have won easily.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hemingway To Go! posted:

A lot can happen in two years and nothing electionwise that happened this year was expected, isn't there any chance to hope?

it's more a matter of what seats are up than anything else, but yea it's not literally impossible to do better than expected.

At this point, though, the bar is so low just holding steady would be a 'win'. Ellison is a smart guy who knows the game, unless the bed is really shat pinning an election everyone expects to be weak for us not being a miracle.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I guess I just don't really see where local/governor stuff becomes important since the order of supremacy becomes feder Al > state > local

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Pomp posted:

i'm going to spend my entire adult life disappointed in left wing leadership for consistently being spineless centrists, aren't i

we can just find common ground if we just try our darndest

[looks to find common interests in corporate greed]

well there it is, what do you say? you can't be petulant and not give it a chance, its our way to champion the people and move forward obviously

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I guess I just don't really see where local/governor stuff becomes important since the order of supremacy becomes feder Al > state > local

It prevents a constitutional convention, allows for non-insignificant progress to be made in individual states, and also creates a base from which politicians for higher office can be chosen.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pollyanna posted:

State governments make state laws, local government makes local laws.

Arkhams Razor posted:

It prevents a constitutional convention, allows for non-insignificant progress to be made in individual states, and also creates a base from which politicians for higher office can be chosen.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

State governments make state laws, local government makes local laws.

But why make local laws if they're superceded anyway?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

A strong party is built from the bottom up, not the top down

Having a lot of Dems in state and local governments means we've got a lot of Dems with resumes and records ready to run for higher offices, as well as a strong base of fundraisers, volunteers, and political operatives all over the country. Also, a lot of things that can potentially affect national elections - like drawing up districts and setting elections rules - are handled at the state level rather than federal

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Constitutional Amendments can be implemented by a vote of 2/3rds of state legislatures, but even barring that outside possibility:

Federal politicians usually start out as successful local/state politicians. (Keith Ellison for example was in the Minnesota House of Representatives for a while.)

State law almost certainly has a bigger effect on your day-to-day life than federal law.

State law can also effect federal elections. (Everything about when and how an election is run, registration/ID requirements, polling locations, etc., may well have to meet federal standards but those decisions are made by the states.) Also state legislatures handle Congressional redistricting in most states. So getting some state houses on side before 2020 is kind of the key to not, you know, getting gerrymandered to hell again.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pollyanna posted:

99.9999% of local laws aren't ever superseded because the state and federal governments have other things to do with their time than interfere in parking regulations in Bumblefuck, MS unless they're Obviously hosed Up.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Main Paineframe posted:

A strong party is built from the bottom up, not the top down

Having a lot of Dems in state and local governments means we've got a lot of Dems with resumes and records ready to run for higher offices, as well as a strong base of fundraisers, volunteers, and political operatives all over the country. Also, a lot of things that can potentially affect national elections - like drawing up districts and setting elections rules - are handled at the state level rather than federal

:same:

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

99.9999% of local laws aren't ever superseded because the state and federal governments have other things to do with their time than interfere in parking regulations in Bumblefuck, MS unless they're Obviously hosed Up.

It's true. Local zoning laws - that the state would never care - gently caress with my life on a daily basis more than pretty much any other law.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
frankly unless a city legislature is mandating that municipal buildings display racial slurs on giant flashing billboards or something of that nature there's no reason for Federal or State supremacy to even enter the discussion

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
The people in your city government have a much greater impact on your daily life than the guys in D.C.

Barring something incredible happening, the easiest way for Democrats to demonstrate that they can actually make things better instead of just talking about it all the time will be via local and state governments.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

I know someone who's going to be paying for close attention to the Arizona seat.

:abuela:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Theyre superceded when they are in conflict, and even then only if the states or feds want to make an issue of it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
"Sorry Madame Ambassador, the President can't meet with you about the crisis in your country, he has to sign off on these Pickens County, Alabama school board regulations first."

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Penisaurus Sex posted:

The people in your city government have a much greater impact on your daily life than the guys in D.C.

Barring something incredible happening, the easiest way for Democrats to demonstrate that they can actually make things better instead of just talking about it all the time will be via local and state governments.

Which is probably going to involve primarying complacent democratic officials in urban centers.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
State/local races are super important and there's a lot of them that the Democrats can win in 2018. The whole reason we're in this mess right now is because the DNC let state parties wither on the vine, allowing Republicans to scoop up all those seats and consolidate power

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pollyanna posted:

because despite the republicans invoking it in the worst ways, the separation of powers is super important to how this country works

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

because despite the republicans invoking it in the worst ways, the separation of powers is super important to how this country works

people like to bitch about the system being broken, but thats because the system doesnt correct for soul-crushing incompetence and apathy. get involved

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
like seriously I'm surprised someone in C-SPAM didn't know how the whole local < state < federal thing works, although the fact it was a poster in the Dem thread is a perfect summary of How We Got So hosed in the first place really

did you think it took an Act of Congress to fund trash collection in your city or what?

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Democratic governors can also capitalize on things like shifting away from coal, which is where the market is already trending due to natural gas. It's not much, but we need to keep momentum rolling there and on other progressive issues with popular support (minimum wage). Indiana is even moving in that direction, despite the state government trying to ignore alternative energy to the best of their ability. The rest of the midwest, including Wisconsin and Michigan, have governor's seats open, and that will be important to figuring out how our appeal is shaping up come 2018.

Stauch the senate bleeding, try to position for a house takeover for 2020, attend utilties commissions and demand as a ratepayer that inefficient coal be phased out in favor of cheaper alternatives. Governors and attorneys general can also sue the Trump Administration to gum up their regulatory rollbacks, like the GOP did to Obama. It's gonna suck, but we can't give up.

http://midwestenergynews.com/2016/12/13/experts-with-trump-in-white-house-states-and-cities-must-lead-on-energy/

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
listen, Pollyanna, I'm actually not trying to mock you, I'm seriously confused and rather stunned that you weren't taught this by some person somewhere

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The Kingfish posted:

Which is probably going to involv[/img]e primarying complacent democratic officials in urban centers.

I got a few suggestions.
[timg]http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/districts/StatewideOverview_Legal[1].gif[/timg]

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

There's also poo poo like what the North Carolina legislature is trying to do now, to effectively outlaw the Democratic Party there, that needs attention paid.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Be careful, if you say New Jersey three times Fishmech shows up to talk to you about bus routes.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Agean90 posted:

people like to bitch about the system being broken, but thats because the system doesnt correct for soul-crushing incompetence and apathy. get involved

yeah democracy assumes that on some level the people involved actually give a poo poo about anything going on

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

*stands in front of bathroom mirror*

New Jersey New Jersey New Jersey

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
just gonna post a reminder post that all politics are local and if ur whining about perez or whatever itt then u better be going to local meetings or are otherwise involved in ur local dem party otherwiese :getout:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I think we're done here.

See you guys on the otherside.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

bump_fn posted:

just gonna post a reminder post that all politics are local and if ur whining about perez or whatever itt then u better be going to local meetings or are otherwise involved in ur local dem party otherwiese :getout:

surely I can primary rahm Emanuel without getting a shiv in the back

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

MizPiz posted:

I think we're done here.

See you guys on the otherside.

Democratic spite is going to doom our country, not Trump's idiocy.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Democratic spite is going to doom our country, not Trump's idiocy.

isn't trump's idiocy literally the reason for this

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Yinlock posted:

Hillary Clinton's incompetence.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Yinlock posted:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

frankly unless a city legislature is mandating that municipal buildings display racial slurs on giant flashing billboards or something of that nature there's no reason for Federal or State supremacy to even enter the discussion

the opposite has happened in Texas, where city regulations prohibiting discrimination by businesses against minority groups in places like Austin were nulled by state legislation

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The Kingfish posted:

Hillary Clinton's incompetence.

is her incompetence somehow responsible for donald trump being a loving idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

am i not allowed to criticize donald j trump without prefacing it with 20 disclaimers about how this is all hillary clinton's fault

• Locked thread