Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Thanks for the recommendations, all. :)

Just tried Lucky's Tale, and I don't understand why so many people here were "meh" about it. It's a pretty bog-standard 3D platformer, sure, and derivative as all get-out, but I feel that VR adds a lot to the experience, and Lucky himself is an appealing character (or maybe I just like foxes). The miniature town scene in Dreamdeck is far and away my favorite of the bunch, and this game looks enough like a miniature set come to life that it presses my "cool!" button in the same way - especially the underground bits. For a free game included with the hardware, it's more than satisfactory.

If you like that kind of VR perspective, and tower defense games, Defense Grid 2 is worth getting.

{edit] Regarding Chronos, I got up to the forest village area recently, and the argument that the game would be the same if it was a regular 2D game just doesn't hold true. The environments are wonderful in VR, and the combination of fixed camera angles and area lighting make the atmosphere perfectly creepy.

Gabby_Jay fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Thanks for the recommendations, all. :)

Just tried Lucky's Tale, and I don't understand why so many people here were "meh" about it. It's a pretty bog-standard 3D platformer, sure, and derivative as all get-out, but I feel that VR adds a lot to the experience, and Lucky himself is an appealing character (or maybe I just like foxes). The miniature town scene in Dreamdeck is far and away my favorite of the bunch, and this game looks enough like a miniature set come to life that it presses my "cool!" button in the same way - especially the underground bits. For a free game included with the hardware, it's more than satisfactory.
Third'ing the Chronos recommendation; it starts out as a pretty but not very inventive game, but once you get into it they have some really awesome environments and they do a few really neat VR tricks.
Also do spend some time in Farlands - the characters are very dorky but the environments and creatures are top-notch, with tons of cool easter eggs to discover.
I also enjoyed Fated as a kind of interactive game-movie thing.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Anyone have any thoughts on Trickster VR or Vanishing Realms? Looking for something that's not a wave based shooter. Both of those seem to have a little meat to them.

Edit: Also looking for that little Tribes style skiing demo but I can't think of the name.

DrBox fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 15, 2016

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

DrBox posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on Trickster VR or Vanishing Realms? Looking for something that's not a wave based shooter. Both of those seem to have a little meat to them.

Edit: Also looking for that little Tribes style skiing demo but I can't think of the name.

Vaniahing Realms part 1 is amazing (if totally populated by Unity Store assets, but whatever). Everything after the first boss is just filler, though. However, the good parts are one of those VR experiences that people play and suddenly "get" VR.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

rage-saq posted:

I've seen a bit from these guys and noticed they had a bunch of different options. Can you link the one you used? Been thinking about their memory foam one

Its on their store page as a set.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Pool Nation just updated to SportsbarVR on Steam.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Its also on sale for like 5 bucks off.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Touch controls showed up today. Only room I have with high ceilings has a Christmas tree setup in it. LED Christmas lights are probably hell on tracking.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't think christmas tree LEDs produce enough IR light to bother the touch cameras. Even if they do pick them up, they won't be blinking at the right rate to be considered part of a rift or touch controller.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Man, Vivecraft is so much more immersive than Minecraft on the GearVR, for some reason. The keyboard+mouse movement scheme for seated mode made even my VR-seasoned stomach lurch a bit, though.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Complete and total novice to this VR thing and I haven't been able to find anything on most forums, so here's my question:

I have a google pixel. Is there a reason to get the Daydream View over your average third party headset that costs a third of the price?

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

joepinetree posted:

Complete and total novice to this VR thing and I haven't been able to find anything on most forums, so here's my question:

I have a google pixel. Is there a reason to get the Daydream View over your average third party headset that costs a third of the price?

It looks stylish and the controller is used a lot for daydream games.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
If any of you guys have a Rift and a Vive and Pool Nation/SportsBar on Steam, would you mind checking if the Steam version uses the Oculus SDK? I've asked around on reddit and the Steam forums and haven't gotten a response from anyone yet, and I want to get this, but I would prefer native Rift support.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Poetic Justice posted:

If any of you guys have a Rift and a Vive and Pool Nation/SportsBar on Steam, would you mind checking if the Steam version uses the Oculus SDK? I've asked around on reddit and the Steam forums and haven't gotten a response from anyone yet, and I want to get this, but I would prefer native Rift support.

I would PM one of the devs. https://www.reddit.com/user/PerilousOrbit

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think christmas tree LEDs produce enough IR light to bother the touch cameras. Even if they do pick them up, they won't be blinking at the right rate to be considered part of a rift or touch controller.

We're going to find out because my basement is too low. I punched the ceiling already. Wife took the kids swimming so while she's gone I'm going to redecorate. :v:

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Good idea, thanks. I just did and I'll let you guys know if he responds.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I just launched it and it opened SteamVR, so I'm guessing it's running in that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hoping to get a demo of the Oculus standalone Rift today!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

Hoping to get a demo of the Oculus standalone Rift today!

the whaaat?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bhodi posted:

the whaaat?

The one Zuck demoed a little while back. Self-contained, no PC, still prototype.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I just launched it and it opened SteamVR, so I'm guessing it's running in that.

Appreciate it, thanks for checking. That makes it the second game that is sold on both Home and Steam that for whatever reason doesn't use native Oculus support on Steam. The other being Arizona Sunshine. Strange :(

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Poetic Justice posted:

Appreciate it, thanks for checking. That makes it the second game that is sold on both Home and Steam that for whatever reason doesn't use native Oculus support on Steam. The other being Arizona Sunshine. Strange :(

Are they the same build, or do they build for each store?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

I have no idea. I just know that before these two games, other games that were on both stores would offer an "Oculus Rift in Other VR mode" option when you started it up that used the native Oculus SDK.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

There has to be two separate builds. One build for the Oculus store which won't have any SteamVR support and then another with SteamVR support and possibly Oculus support as well. It seems like many developers are keeping them separate as people who own a Vive and a Rift is a very small niche in an already small niche. People who own a Rift are expected to buy their games on the Oculus store and people who own a Vive are expected to buy games on Steam, which sucks.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

Subjunctive posted:

The one Zuck demoed a little while back. Self-contained, no PC, still prototype.

I hope that's at least a year out, or I'm gonna feel pretty stupid having just dropped $600 on a CV1. :homebrew:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

I hope that's at least a year out, or I'm gonna feel pretty stupid having just dropped $600 on a CV1. :homebrew:

Let's be honest, we should all feel a little bit stupid for buying into first generation no matter what :v:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I'd already had a good PC so as long as the specs aren't stupendously better (and they will be, at some point) then I'm fine with having this dumb thing. Just get me an Alien game, for christ's sake

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

It doesn't run off the pc so it won't be as powerful, plus I'm pretty sure it's an addon for the rift.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Got my extra rift cameras in today. I'm having an issue where I'm losing cameras during guardian setup.

I have to admit, the more I play with these things the more I think the Vive got tracking tech right, even if the headset has to be a little larger.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Poetic Justice posted:

If a user has chosen to start a game on Steam rather than Oculus Home that's a good sign that they prefer to use the Steam ecosystem, so they would want and expect to be able to bring up the SteamVR overlay.

Putting in some mechanism for the user to choose an API is an option, but at that point the developer is doing work for something that perhaps a dozen users care about.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

NRVNQSR posted:

If a user has chosen to start a game on Steam rather than Oculus Home that's a good sign that they prefer to use the Steam ecosystem, so they would want and expect to be able to bring up the SteamVR overlay.

Putting in some mechanism for the user to choose an API is an option, but at that point the developer is doing work for something that perhaps a dozen users care about.

It makes sense to deploy a single executable across multiple platforms for a whole bunch of reasons, one of which is cutting down on extra work. There are games that have both native OVR and SteamVR support in the same executable already and the mechanism to choose between them is built into the Steam platform itself.

It's probably a good idea for developers to do this.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

Ciaphas posted:

Let's be honest, we should all feel a little bit stupid for buying into first generation no matter what :v:

Oh, sure, that's pretty much a given. In a few years when you can get an all-in-one VR headset with foveated rendering, inside out tracking, and facial mapping for $400, the CV1 and Vive are going to look like the Atari 2600 did when the NES came out. Although, given how good this 1st generation stuff is, if what we're seeing right now is equivalent of late-70s gaming, holy poo poo are we in for a wild ride. (Just hope we can skip the crash)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Oh, sure, that's pretty much a given. In a few years when you can get an all-in-one VR headset with foveated rendering, inside out tracking, and facial mapping for $400, the CV1 and Vive are going to look like the Atari 2600 did when the NES came out. Although, given how good this 1st generation stuff is, if what we're seeing right now is equivalent of late-70s gaming, holy poo poo are we in for a wild ride.

Yeah buddy. Glimpses is what VR is right now. The VCR or Nintendo or iPhone equivalent hasn't hit yet.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

SwissCM posted:

It makes sense to deploy a single executable across multiple platforms for a whole bunch of reasons, one of which is cutting down on extra work.

It would be wonderful if this were possible. Unfortunately, unless a developer is able and willing to release a DRM-free version on all of those platforms then separate executables are already needed because the platform integration libraries generally can't coexist. :(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

NRVNQSR posted:

I haven't released a game on steam so I don't know the exact details, but there is already a mechanism for launching a game in desktop mode, SteamVR, or Oculus.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Not a ton of content for the headset, but it was as comfortable as a CV1, and not having to worry about cables when moving around was great. I didn't have any controllers, so I don't know how that tracking would work. Tracking was excellent as far as I could tell, and I was trying to break it.

Definitely nowhere near the capabilities of a full PC, so no photorealism, but it's amazing to me that you can have smooth VR on a headset powered by a battery pack the size of two AAs. If they hit their price target a lot of people are going to be joining the VR family.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

BabelFish posted:

Got my extra rift cameras in today. I'm having an issue where I'm losing cameras during guardian setup.

I have to admit, the more I play with these things the more I think the Vive got tracking tech right, even if the headset has to be a little larger.

:same:

Though in terms of an actual product decision I think it depends on if just the two desk sensor setup is actually what most normal people want. For what WE want - super nerds willing to shell out thousands of dollars and clear out space in our home - the lighthouse tech is probably better.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Not a ton of content for the headset, but it was as comfortable as a CV1, and not having to worry about cables when moving around was great. I didn't have any controllers, so I don't know how that tracking would work. Tracking was excellent as far as I could tell, and I was trying to break it.

Definitely nowhere near the capabilities of a full PC, so no photorealism, but it's amazing to me that you can have smooth VR on a headset powered by a battery pack the size of two AAs. If they hit their price target a lot of people are going to be joining the VR family.

Can you say what kind of experience it was? Was it just watching an interactive VR video or something? I'm wondering what could be done with no controllers.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cojawfee posted:

Can you say what kind of experience it was? Was it just watching an interactive VR video or something? I'm wondering what could be done with no controllers.

It was like the CV1 demo reel, walking around constructed spaces (Papertown, if you saw that). Early days, mostly showing what the hardware can do on its own. A Gear VR touchpad is likely not too hard to do, but my money is on them getting Touch going. It doesn't use Constellation, so the tracking model would need to be rebuilt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Tracked controllers on inside-out tracked VR setups is going to be a reeeeeaaall problem.