Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Handguns and crossbows gained a bit of active reload back since the beta. Crossbows also gained enough damage to bodyshot clan rats on cataclysm now, so their viability just shot way up, although they are probably still worse on nightmare than before the beta.

Handguns fared a lot worse. Fatshark undid the increased base reload speed they had in the beta, and with the nerfed MC and substantially later active reload they have now, they are ridiculously slow.

On the bright side fatshark did not fix the extremely frequent ragdoll miracles from the beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I mean, it's understandable that they'd walk the rifle back on reload speed, since they need to differentiate it a bit from the crossbow besides "is better than in every way but one". I have Master Crafted crossbows on both the dwarf and WH and they both still reload respectably fast now and work great to thin out clusters of clan and slaverats before they get to you.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There is absolutely no reason to ever use the flaming sword instead of the head-seeking death-dealer longsword.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Unless you want more fire!

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Nearly had a heart attack when I looked at the map and saw every single map flashing "new", as if I'd lost all my map progress.

Luckily mousing over them brings it all back

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

So here's my take on the rebalanced BW ranged weapons, for what it's worth:

- Bolt Staff: big nerf, but then it needed it. Still works as a special-killer which is what it's (presumably) designed for, lost pretty much all of its trash-clearing power because you have to charge the bolt quite a bit to get it to hit more than one rat. The auto-aim is a lot more intuitive but still a bit janky on occasion - once or twice I've had the bolt pass right through a rat directly in front of me without damaging it. Lock-on is supposedly faster but if so it's only by a bit. Heat build-up is supposedly lower too, but again it doesn't feel like much.

- Fireball Staff: Still sucks at killing specials because the fireball doesn't do all that much damage and you have to aim it with drop-off, no zoom and Sienna's glowy hand in your face. It's OK at disrupting trash, but kinda bad in tight maps because most trash will get to melee really quickly, so you may as well just melee it too. If you insist on burning it you'll spend a lot of time AOE'ing your friends. Still feels like the fireball itself doesn't do much damage.

- Conflag Staff: I think the changes to this are a bit schizophrenic, really. They may have rebalanced FF but testing it on NM bots it seems like the charged attack will take off a bit less than a bar of health if you include the fire-patch damage. That's a lot if you plan to use it regularly. Also the fire patch can sometimes work against the design of the rest of the weapon. In open ground the initial explosion blasts rats away, so you risk blasting them out of the fire patch. It's probably better not to fully charge it most of the time.

- Beam staff: Been ages since I tried using one so my memory may be faulty but: beam damage may ramp up faster but it's not that noticeable. The beam still sucks at actually killing specials quickly but is still good at staggering them repeatedly. Primary fire is still good for thinning out trash at close range. Doesn't feel all that different from pre-patch really?

The Beam Staff feels like it's probably the best overall choice, since you have some trash-clearing power, FF is reasonably easy to avoid, you can lock down specials and it's decent against Roger. Bolt Staff is probably second thanks to its special-killing power. Conflag staff is OK. Fireball staff still feel sub-par, mainly because it just doesn't do much damage but still has FF. Maybe I'll get better with it with practise but it doesn't feel much more viable it was pre-patch. Maybe I'm just bad because people in the beta were saying Fireball was really good?

edit: also the patch is a yuuuge performance boost, I get >100 fps most of the time now. Thanks Fatshark!

Zephro fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Dec 15, 2016

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I haven't played much because pubs are even dumber now. I knock a gutter off the dwarf and the buckshot spreads weird I guess and it doesn't die after two charged sword hits on top of that so it jumps me. Roger had spawned so the witch hunter and wizard just plink away at him while my entire health pool drains and the dwarf bleeds out. Amazing.

Fireball was kicking rear end for me. Actually deletes rats now. I have distraction on it so I just plant those babies on downed people and clear out the riff raff.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

New player here: What's the best thing to do for someone pinned by the assassin? Do you push the rat off (which seems to result in them smoke bombing away) or try and one shot with a powerful ranged weapon? If I don't have a one-shot ranged weapon I generally just slash away at the thing until it dies.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

If you're close, either shoot it off with a weapon that'll kill it, or push it off and keep meleeing it afterwards. If it's stunned it can't vanish. If you're far away, try and snipe it off with something like the handgun. You can even bomb it off, even with FF on they'll take less damage from the bomb than they will from the assassin, though you want to keep bombs for the Rat Ogre if you can.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Dec 15, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gunder posted:

New player here: What's the best thing to do for someone pinned by the assassin? Do you push the rat off (which seems to result in them smoke bombing away) or try and one shot with a powerful ranged weapon? If I don't have a one-shot ranged weapon I generally just slash away at the thing until it dies.

Push it if you don't have a weapon that will one-shot it, kill it if you do. Your priority is to get it off your ally as fast as possible because not only does the Runner do a lot of damage on his own, they still take damage from the rats around them until they're rescued. A handgun shot will be just as fast as a push, though, and make sure the little bastard can't come back for more.

Also, that orange sword and dagger on the quest board looks pretty goddamn good if someone doesn't have one already.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Dec 15, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The new rescue icon/outline does not work. If someone respawns on the other side of an open level (waterfront/wheat and chaff/etc) you will have absolutely no idea where they are.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Guys oh my god

The flags actually exist from behind now

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
in the snow enviroment, the skaven that most stands out... is the gutter runner

youd think they'd wear white ala simo hayha but i guess they're too weeaboo to consider such a thing. meanwhile the stormvermin just blend right in with crowds in snowy daylight, the fuckers.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Fun fact with the new conflagration staff: If you fully-charge it and target it on a wall that rats are climbing up or down, then there will be an (either invisible or very hard to see at a distance) fire patch on the wall itself. Every rat will climb through the patch and burn to death.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

OK I've played around with the Fireball staff a bit more and maybe it's a little better than I thought. The damage still feels a bit on the weak side, and the constant auto-bitching from teammates about friendly fire is a bit annoying, but it's better than I first gave it credit for. Not sure what traits to go for, though. Channelling Rune, Regrowth and Stability maybe?

Also, a quick question about the new Hail of Doom - apparently it now adds heat / consumes ammo if it procs. Does that mean you can blow yourself up unintentionally by overheating if Hail procs at the wrong moment?

Zephro fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 15, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I got the new dorf pick on my first run in the DLC. :smug:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I joined the Fatshark Dev Stream and wall jumped out of the last area in the map they chose.

"I'm going to the carriage now GG"

I feel so good about myself today.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Zephro posted:

Also, a quick question about the new Hail of Doom - apparently it now adds heat / consumes ammo if it procs. Does that mean you can blow yourself up unintentionally by overheating if Hail procs at the wrong moment?

No, Hail of Doom used to work by not only firing two shots, it made both shots free, so you didn't consume ammo or accumulate heat for either. Now Hail of Doom just makes you fire two shots, and still costs you 1 ammo and the usual amount of heat. It doesn't cost double ammo or double heat.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

They are talking about a new character in the Vermintide VR game which is a standalone title featuring its own character. A wizard who wants to join the original 5 heroes and has a special staff that fires the Flaming Skull thing that Bright Wizards can do.

What this means I have no idea, probably just for the sake of the VR Launch.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Mzbundifund posted:

No, Hail of Doom used to work by not only firing two shots, it made both shots free, so you didn't consume ammo or accumulate heat for either. Now Hail of Doom just makes you fire two shots, and still costs you 1 ammo and the usual amount of heat. It doesn't cost double ammo or double heat.
Ah, OK. Thanks.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Man, I had great luck last night with the elf using the single sword that I didn't have before the patch. The strong overhead chop really seems to do a number to stormvermins now that I never had in the past, I assume that's the extra headshot damage at work. Improved longbow also does work, though it's basically always been fairly good if you got annoyed by how the trueflight picked targets.

I understand now why the fireball staff's strong attack now penetrates one rat before exploding: If they are closing in on you, it's actually a fair spot more usable when you can huck the charged fireball, have it pierce through a rat that's in your face, and explode on the cluster that's running to you so as to not friendly fire yourself and your team. It's actually shockingly good now, Mind that the Bolt staff is probably still the safest bet for the wizards ranged weapon as far as it's ability to kill specials on demand, it's just not the automatic IWIN button like it use to be. I just wish I could get the regular longsword for the BW now because I'm really not happy with the flaming longsword and unless they made the first swing of the battle scepter hit more than one enemy I kind of still dislike that as well.

The Dwarf hammer w/o shield is now shockingly effective. The first two swings of the regular attack combo hitting unlimited rats gives it kind of a similar style to the 2h hammer on a faster, lighter basis.

There are so many stormvermins now, I can't imagine using weapons that don't have a good armor-piercing presence or charge attack. Angering a stormvermin partrol in nightmare with pubs has unequivocally been the the death of the group without fail so far.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Holy christ for once Lune wasn't being hyperbolic, this dorf pick is insanity.

It's like my light attack is a hammer charge attack and my charge attack is a hammer light attack, with option to charge it up further to make it a super-heavy overhead swing that not only explodes a stormvermin's head but slams him into the ground so hard his model does a hilarious ragdoll sometimes.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 15, 2016

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Holy christ for once Lune wasn't being hyperbolic, this dorf pick is insanity.

It's like my light attack is a hammer charge attack and my charge attack is a hammer light attack, with option to charge it up further to make it a super-heavy overhead swing that not only explodes a stormvermin's head but slams him into the ground so hard his model does a hilarious ragdoll sometimes.

Welcome to the family.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm ready to do some prospecting

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Bardin's hosting the latest minecraft LPs

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

After all this time of telling players there is no reason to overcharge their melee attacks because it does nothing, Fatshark puts in an actual chargeable heavy attack.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Night10194 posted:

After all this time of telling players there is no reason to overcharge their melee attacks because it does nothing, Fatshark puts in an actual chargeable heavy attack.

Is there really no point in holding down the attack button until the charged attack comes out on its own? Is there no damage difference at all?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Gunder posted:

Is there really no point in holding down the attack button until the charged attack comes out on its own? Is there no damage difference at all?

none, the only thing holding it for any extra time gets you is the timing you want

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Was BW's longsword always so insanely better than flaming or what

I used to use it back in the day but then I got a flaming sword that had like PERFECT affixes so I used that. Now I got a pretty good set on longsword and holy poo poo it does everything I want so much better.

Also I'm back to axe and shield because holy poo poo making 2h Hammers a one-dodge weapon straight up killed it for me.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Got a falchion on my third map, seen plenty of picks but never rolled one.
Still have yet to roll 7 successes with 160 hours into this loving game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The flaming sword was always worse than the normal longsword, but the normal longsword got buffed to the nines and the flaming sword only got a few scraps, so yeah, the flaming sword is kinda terrible now.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I'm surprised nobody's said this yet but you dudes should get on Vermintide today if for no other reason than the Orange Globadier trinket is on the board.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I saw a sword and board get constantly owned by slave rats. I know it's not intuitive how to use it but it was still surreal

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Finished the three Dwarf missions. I approve of Rat killmans Skyrim Edition. Can you imagine what Skyrim would be like with Vermintide's melee system?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Finished the three Dwarf missions. I approve of Rat killmans Skyrim Edition. Can you imagine what Skyrim would be like with Vermintide's melee system?

Loudly complained about, I expect.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Slightly less boring but not fun enough to redeem everything else about it?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mzbundifund posted:

Loudly complained about, I expect.

Oh right, how silly of me. I forgot that with the DUEL mod, Skyrim has the most amazing combat system in video game history.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A mod shoots to the top of the nexus claiming to completely rewrite the skyrimtide combat, since everyone knows how badly bethesda dropped the ball on it. Someone opens up the mod and finds nothing but a couple of scripts based on oblivion code that don't actually do almost anything in practice, in spite of countless accolades for the mod. They point out this fact and the modder flies into a tearful rage, posting paragraph upon paragraph of wrath about how all his hard work isn't appreciated because he doesn't get enough patreon donations every month, and that he's not going to bless the community with his flawless vision any longer if no one understands the sacrifices he makes. When he inevitably takes down the mod, negative responses from downloaders provoke increasingly incoherent rants that finally devolve into full-blown neo-nazi screeds that finally lead to the nexus banning him. Days later, similar pre-existing mods on the steam workshop start arbitrarily getting flagged for plagiarism.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Is that based off a true story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Digirat posted:

A mod shoots to the top of the nexus claiming to completely rewrite the skyrimtide combat, since everyone knows how badly bethesda dropped the ball on it. Someone opens up the mod and finds nothing but a couple of scripts based on oblivion code that don't actually do almost anything in practice, in spite of countless accolades for the mod. They point out this fact and the modder flies into a tearful rage, posting paragraph upon paragraph of wrath about how all his hard work isn't appreciated because he doesn't get enough patreon donations every month, and that he's not going to bless the community with his flawless vision any longer if no one understands the sacrifices he makes. When he inevitably takes down the mod, negative responses from downloaders provoke increasingly incoherent rants that finally devolve into full-blown neo-nazi screeds that finally lead to the nexus banning him. Days later, similar pre-existing mods on the steam workshop start arbitrarily getting flagged for plagiarism.

Too real, man, too real.

• Locked thread