Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
It looks like there is maintenance scheduled for the 20th. Do we know what all that entails?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

My guess:

Shoring up Multiplayer services in prep for non-Beta.
Adding the weird roulette mechanics that go along with Gold Fest.

Anybody else got anything that happened around this time that might need adding?

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Also future events to datamine out probably, but that's a lot of maintenances

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Alxprit posted:

My guess:

Shoring up Multiplayer services in prep for non-Beta.
Adding the weird roulette mechanics that go along with Gold Fest.

Anybody else got anything that happened around this time that might need adding?

I'm hoping we get the imperil update, as well.

Edit: dear Santa please give us the OSBfest banners for someone to data mine.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Crisis Core had some terrible music if the stuff we hear in the event is anything to go by

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Adel posted:

I'm hoping we get the imperil update, as well.

Edit: dear Santa please give us the OSBfest banners for someone to data mine.

Japan doesn't even have the imperil update, there's a 0% chance global gets it on the same day. Look for it in 3-4 months.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Zurai posted:

Japan doesn't even have the imperil update, there's a 0% chance global gets it on the same day. Look for it in 3-4 months.

Let me pretend :(

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I haven't played in almost a year, I think Kefka had just come out and maybe the first nightmare dungeon.

I started playing again about two weeks ago, earned enough mithril to pull twice from the half price pulls + pick an item, and I got a couple of decent items to start up this newer wave of game play.

I have a couple of quick questions I'm hoping the thread can help me with so I can be a happy, well adjusted FFRK player again.

-I have 50 mithril again. Should I cash those in at the half price pulls ( which say they expired a few months ago but are still up ) , should i save them for pulls coming up for the holiday season, or should I save them for refreshes of whatever holiday dungeons we are going to get?

-What is the strategy for Nightmare dungeons??? I could usually master most content in full, but often struggled with the last +++ missions and mastering them. Now there are a couple more tiers, and I'm not making any progress at all. I read a strategy for the first nightmare dungeon from the Squall event, and it stated that it was easy with Ninja skills, and I don't remember there even being viable ninjas! What kind of strategies do I need to break thru to these higher tiers?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
OSBFest banners will almost certainly be datamined, since they start to drop two days later.

Grevlek posted:

-I have 50 mithril again. Should I cash those in at the half price pulls ( which say they expired a few months ago but are still up ) , should i save them for pulls coming up for the holiday season, or should I save them for refreshes of whatever holiday dungeons we are going to get?

-What is the strategy for Nightmare dungeons??? I could usually master most content in full, but often struggled with the last +++ missions and mastering them. Now there are a couple more tiers, and I'm not making any progress at all. I read a strategy for the first nightmare dungeon from the Squall event, and it stated that it was easy with Ninja skills, and I don't remember there even being viable ninjas! What kind of strategies do I need to break thru to these higher tiers?

Save - most players are going pretty heavily on either XIV or OSBfest, which are both in right around 1-2 weeks time.

Nightmare bosses are basically puzzle bosses - you do need some sort of hone check (especially since all but two are immune to Breaks), but they're going to vary. Some are cakewalks, some are absolutely headaches even for some well geared teams.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Was trying to save up for osbfest/orbfest, but the latest nightmare banner was too tempting when I saw it was ssb or better. I was prepared to be disappointed.

That was not only surprising, but I think I now have all of both Lightning and Zidane's SBs. This makes 6 bsbs in a month (one was a dupe Lightbringer IX).
Also, time to make an ice team and a wind team?

Who do I drop on the wind team for a white mage?

Alpine Mustache fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 15, 2016

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Alpine Mustache posted:

Also, time to make an ice team and a wind team?

Who do I drop on the wind team for a white mage?

Celes, I'd say.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Alxprit posted:

Celes, I'd say.

Make celes the white mage. She gets 4* white magic.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Schwartzcough posted:

I hate you all. My 100 gem pull luck is so loving bad, Jesus Christ.

I stopped doing dollar pulls when I lost count in the mid-high 50s for my streak of not getting a 5* from them.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
JP FFV banners have been revealed. Looks like Gogo is not only our mimic, but also the missing Water elemental mage. Krile gets her OSB, Lenna gets a USB, and Bartz has also jumped ship from Wind to Water with a new Enwater BSB? I suppose with Zidane, Cloud and Luneth all taking Wind they're shoving him over to water now.

Also there's a multiplayer battle against Omniscient so have fun redoing the battle over and over and over. Don't do it with random groups or at least be very careful, it'll be living a nightmare when someone spams physical attacks. Not looking forward to when this hits Global.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

pichupal posted:

JP FFV banners have been revealed. Looks like Gogo is not only our mimic, but also the missing Water elemental mage. Krile gets her OSB, Lenna gets a USB, and Bartz has also jumped ship from Wind to Water with a new Enwater BSB? I suppose with Zidane, Cloud and Luneth all taking Wind they're shoving him over to water now.

Also there's a multiplayer battle against Omniscient so have fun redoing the battle over and over and over. Don't do it with random groups or at least be very careful, it'll be living a nightmare when someone spams physical attacks. Not looking forward to when this hits Global.

I can't wait for Omniscient to have some kind of confuse attack :toot:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Is there a good guide to beating Nightmare bosses? The only one I've beat to date is Ultima Buster, and that was down to luckiness with the RNG and a reraise RW. I can't beat any of the others despite being able to clear 180-level content.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

1st AD posted:

Is there a good guide to beating Nightmare bosses? The only one I've beat to date is Ultima Buster, and that was down to luckiness with the RNG and a reraise RW. I can't beat any of the others despite being able to clear 180-level content.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/5hdj76/dervish_record_celerity_2_nightmare_dungeon/

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I'm saving up for XIV and OSBFest like everyone else on earth, but why haven't I heard anyone talking about the XIII banner and comes right after XIV? It looks pretty drat good but there's like zero hype for it. Is it just because it's sandwiched between two insanely good ones?

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

It's in a similar position to the current VII banner; It's actually a decent set of banners, but its timing is pretty atrocious coming right after OSBFest and the XIV Godbanner. People are likely to be completely dry going into it.

The second banner is basically 'build your own mage meta' with Cid Raines BSB being one of the most absurdly overpowered pure damage BSBs ever created. Stacking buffs upon stacking buffs translate into 9999 x infinity.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Uncle Ulty posted:

Which of the Chain -aga spells should I shoot for once Orbfest gears up next week? Is there a consensus on which is the best?

The relevant skills that I own that may sway the decision are:
Edgar's Chainsaw SSB with Imperil Poison,
Terra's Circlet SSB with EnFire,
and Laguna's Vega SSB with Imperil Ice.

And is there anything else that I'm forgetting that should factor into the decision?

I know a lot of people honed Chain Blizzard because Mote Ifrit is a bully. Beyond that hone a spell that synergizes well with your other SSB/BSBs element damage besides the imperil one.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I'm saving up for XIV and OSBFest like everyone else on earth, but why haven't I heard anyone talking about the XIII banner and comes right after XIV? It looks pretty drat good but there's like zero hype for it. Is it just because it's sandwiched between two insanely good ones?

For me I'll pull on banner 2 of the XIII event depending on how OSB and XIV go. Cid Raines' BSB is supposed to be one of the best ones. I have Hope's Ninurta already though, and enough stuff to field a good XIII mage team already. So I'm not hurting for stuff in that realm like I used to be. I'd rather save it for later if I can. I always am saving for later.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Now that we're almost finished with (this years?) Nightmare bosses I wonder which one is everyone's most hated.

My vote is Curada guardian. Even cheesing it with piercing attacks was a huge pain.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

My most hated is easily Kaiser Dragon. Masochistic medal requirements and a gently caress you deathcry which you will always walk right into if you're actually doing the fight blind as intended.

Guardian was easy in both Japan (where I did it properly) and Global (where I ninja cheesed it).

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Necrophobe was a pain in the dick and Kaiser Dragon was infuriating to get mastery on

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

1st AD posted:

Atomos, the new Celerity one, should be easy if you can clear Ultimates and poo poo. Load up your four best synergy attackers and a healer with a medica+shellga, prioritize slowing him, have somebody without a BSB on Dismissal duty, and you should kill him before he even really gets to do much.

Several of them are easier than really any modern Ultimates and poo poo like mote bosses, because they have stupid gimmicks or require you to break into your stash of 3* and 4* orbs to hone up some additional redundant spells, but the incoming damage is much more manageable.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Thundercracker posted:

Now that we're almost finished with (this years?) Nightmare bosses I wonder which one is everyone's most hated.

My vote is Curada guardian. Even cheesing it with piercing attacks was a huge pain.
Curada guardian was slightly annoying, but nowhere near as butt-clenchingly terrifying (and RNG! the horrible mastery RNG!) as kaiser dragon imo.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

kaiser dragon was a fun fight ruined by completely retarded medal conditions

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Just do what I did and don't lose any other medals on Kaiser Dragon and you can afford to miss one of the weakness requirements

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Kaiser was probably the biggest pain in the rear end with the medal requirements and the damage output.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
The hot potato Curada one was my least favorite. God did I hate that fight.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Neo Bahamut is the only boss I have not defeated since Parade Float. Kaiser Dragon does get an honourable mention though.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I wonder what the likelhood of this maintenance rolling out the greens daily dungeon is. It didn't come out in JP until after the Zidane OSB event which will hit global in mid-January, but stuff like that has been one of the few areas where they've broken significantly from the schedule.

But mostly I just want those drat OSB festival banners. Gotta make a spending plan, plus decide if it's worth taking a chance on the Celerity Nightmare banner for Orichalcum Dirk XII before it closes.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

oh gently caress off dena, ifrit's Hellfire is 50% gravity?

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

I've had Ramza's Hail of Stones SB for a couple of months now, but I only just realised why he has an SB where he repeatedly throws stones at his enemies :golfclap:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It still irks me that last stone doesn't do extra damage.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Dropped 50 on a whim and had probably my best pull in a long time. Cloud's overstrike, two pairs of Cid's goggles, Cid's shout clone and Angeal's sword.

I already have Zidane's burst and Luneth's Swordshower so my wind team is ridiculous.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Kaiser Dragon is the one thing I still haven't mastered, because fuuuuck that RNG to even have a chance of doing it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

What the hell, the mech boss in FF6 ult is brutal :psyduck:

With full break, power/magic break, attack+magic debuff, wall, protect/shell, and full party mag/phys blink it still annihilates my party once it gets low. Feels like if any of the buffs/debuffs wear off its gg.

Think I need to figure out how to cram more offense in so it just dies faster.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

victrix posted:

What the hell, the mech boss in FF6 ult is brutal :psyduck:

With full break, power/magic break, attack+magic debuff, wall, protect/shell, and full party mag/phys blink it still annihilates my party once it gets low. Feels like if any of the buffs/debuffs wear off its gg.

Think I need to figure out how to cram more offense in so it just dies faster.

Are you talking about guardian? A lot of its damage potential are % attacks, equip some instant KO resist accessories and see if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
JP Update: Latest FF5 event is very watery. Lots of water-based soul breaks, plus Chain Waterga.

Gogo is Black/White/Bard 5 and has caster stats, so he's only well-suited for mimicking magic/support abilities.

New soul breaks:

Krile parks her meteor wherever she wants: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb8mFE6fWyA
Gogo teaches Strago how to do Aqua Breath properly, then mimics stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MZyOQUSjnE
.... and his SSB is Onion Knight BSB without the burst commands: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9ZnSGaSI1s
Bartz's drowns things with his second BSB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYiEeOW7Hb8

Varance fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 16, 2016

• Locked thread