Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

lol if you have a server rack in your house

lol if u don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
job searching is not that hard if you're good and white and male and straight and young

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

also who wants to hire me to do poo poo in boston/new York/dc I'm good at touching computers thanks in advance this job search poo poo's gettin me worn out

come to dc so i can enable your alcoholism bloody

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

but actually don't because it's terrible here

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

mishaq posted:

come to dc so i can enable your alcoholism bloody

oh hellll yeah

mishaq posted:

actually, its good (my brother lives there and my brother is awesome & fun & whenever I visit dc it is super mega fun)

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

actually, its good (my brother lives there and my brother is awesome & fun & whenever I visit dc it is super mega fun)

it's very bad and will soon be filled with neoconservative shitlords in addition to the just normal terrible people

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hire me anyways, boston is bad too

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Bloody posted:

what the hell fantasy world is this from

the federal government of america

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Uncle Enzo posted:

the federal government of america

federal government it is actually surprisingly not terrible in the better funded departments from what ive heard/observed from friends

every private company ive worked for has godawful it

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Bloody posted:

also who wants to hire me to do poo poo in boston/new York/dc I'm good at touching computers thanks in advance this job search poo poo's gettin me worn out

i was super happy with the nyc recruiter who eventually got me an offer, pm me if you want me to refer you to them

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
So, aside from being really unethical, couldn't you have your friend pose as some major employer "following up on a reference" in order to scare your boss into giving you a raise?

"what? google said they wouldn't consult my references until I told them I was interested, this is so unprofessional."

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

give it a shot, couldnt hurt

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
if only I had someone to pose as the employer

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

recruiter spam this morning

--4+month contract (bestill my beating heart) doing "devops things" for intel in portland
"We'll fly you in on mondays and out thursdays"

lmao gently caress off

intel has like 18,000 people in Portland. get a real job there if you want it, should be totes possible.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

:toot: company wants to send me off to sunny Chicago for a week and pay week-by-week. In the meantime wait for other interview responses and freelancing contracts.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

just get paid to work on open source all day

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

bloody come to detroit

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

triple sulk posted:

just get paid to work on open source all day

lamo at dealing with that community for a living

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Management posted:

lamo at dealing with that community for a living

agreed

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

So, aside from being really unethical, couldn't you have your friend pose as some major employer "following up on a reference" in order to scare your boss into giving you a raise?

"what? google said they wouldn't consult my references until I told them I was interested, this is so unprofessional."

counteroffers are always bullshit. if you make a credible threat of leaving, but you don't, you will always be marked

setting up the credible threat, but not actually being able to leave, seems like the worst of both worlds

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Cat Face Joe posted:

bloody come to detroit

absolutely not

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

absolutely not

u could work with tusen tahahahhahahahahhaha

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Bloody posted:

absolutely not

lmao.

yeah wtf.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Uncle Enzo posted:

i was offered my position on the basis of my resume and a single 45 minute multi party audio-only telephone interview. it occurred to me as i showed up at the front desk my first day that no one had even seen a picture of me. i relocated my family 800 miles to a town i'd never heard of.

was nervous the first day, but they had everything ready for me. spent 2 hours filling out new-hire paperwork, then they showed me to my cube that a few of my co-workers had stocked with office supplies. the logins they gave me worked and i was able to get started training immediately. they handed me a 3-ring full of specifications and told me where to start.

yeah this was mine too but with the caveat that my resume was conveyed to the department on an internal recommendation so there's some good old networking involved

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cat Face Joe posted:

bloody come to detroit

If I had a job offer in Detroit I'd totally do it, and buy a badass stately mansion and the place next door. I'd buy a warehouse and get a city-use noise permit and turn it into a badass venue that would be immune from the normal NIMBY "too-loud" bullshit.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Bloody posted:

absolutely not

no come on you'll hate being here and knowing me irl

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

If I had a job offer in Detroit I'd totally do it, and buy a badass stately mansion and the place next door. I'd buy a warehouse and get a city-use noise permit and turn it into a badass venue that would be immune from the normal NIMBY "too-loud" bullshit.

there's a huge 3,300 sq ft one in the university district for $230,000

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cat Face Joe posted:

there's a huge 3,300 sq ft one in the university district for $230,000

brb, moving now.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

detroit loving sucks and is not actually a city but rather a big suburb

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

philly ftw

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

hell yeah #1 again

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

This

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

philly owns

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
don't you do embedded computer touching? is that what you still want to do

mishaq posted:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

idk I do a lotta random poo poo. I do fpga and microcontroller stuff by jobtitle but most of my job enjoyment happens in c# development or tooling work (c#/Haskell lmao) I don't really know what I want to do and that's kind of been loving over my job search for the past year+

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
why do people always say to bring a copy of your resumay to the interview

also why do they never say why

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i always bring some copies just in case someone interviewing me hasn't actually seen my resume or if they want to confirm something on it i guess??
only once have i been asked by someone for a copy during an interview

edit: its also for me since maybe i forget some stuff on there

Shaman Linavi fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 17, 2016

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

WINNINGHARD fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 17, 2016

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Gazpacho posted:

why do people always say to bring a copy of your resumay to the interview

also why do they never say why

last "interview" I did the hiring manager hadn't read my resume and would have looked like an idiot in front of HR if I hadn't handed them one so

but lol if anybody needs to see your resume to hire you, they should have heard of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
the way i get jobs these days is companies send an hr manager to stack piles of cash outside my closed office door. they come back every day and add more, if the pile eventually vanishes then they know i've accepted their offering

• Locked thread