Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

jadarx posted:

FFG sent me two of the Rougarou pack instead of the Carnivale one. :arghfist: :cthulhu: So unless FFG wants me to sent it back to fix my order, I'l have an extra one for someone who wants cheap shipping.

I'd take it an PayPal or steam gift you the postage to Austria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I was looking at this on Amazon and they had 5 copies left, I browsed to the expansions and back, and noticed they had two copies left, so I bought one on impulse.

The Carnival pack looks great, but why do FFG do PoD that is near impossible to get in the rest of the world? Wayland games has Rougarou available to order, but they are not the speediest of shipper.

This is my first LCG, I have no idea what I've let myself in for.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
$20USD to ship the two scenario packs to NZD - I can't get my head around how/why it would cost that much :|

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Grey Hunter posted:

Wayland games has Rougarou available to order, but they are not the speediest of shipper.

Unfortunately "Available to Order" on Wayland Games means that they will order it from their supplier, not that it's in stock. So yeah, could take a while.

For what it's worth, BoardGameGuru is showing that they will be getting it sometime this month.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Just paid $36 USD for two packs of cards to come to my house.

Good grief why do I enjoy this hobby so much.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

COOL CORN posted:

Just paid $36 USD for two packs of cards to come to my house.

Good grief why do I enjoy this hobby so much.

My friend who was making regular trips to the US from Taiwan moved back there a few months after we'd ordered two full sets of Codex. He was planning a trip back here but work kept him from getting out of the US until March so I bugged him to ship it. Cheapest shipping via USPS was $175, that was my Christmas present to myself this year I guess.

I probably would have dropped Star Wars: LCG except that Minature Market started using a FedEx service that has pretty good rates and about a 10-14 delivery time. Only bumps the cost of each individual pack to about $15 total. I recommend you preorder whenever possible though because it takes them 3-5 days for processing and their customer service is not the best.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Oh, I'm in the US, I meant $30 for cards + $6 shipping.

:geno:

I do not envy our international brothers.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
A spoiler for an AH investigator can be found here: https://imgur.com/gallery/pXTGK

Shee seems really interesting, especially the deck building reqs.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Zerf posted:

A spoiler for an AH investigator can be found here: https://imgur.com/gallery/pXTGK

Shee seems really interesting, especially the deck building reqs.

Man I really wish we pre-ordered that book.

Anyway, what's interesting here is that it lays the blueprints for investigors based on certain types of possessions. I could totally see Monterey Jack being similar with Artifacts instead of spells. And probably Seeker, Guardian/Rogue.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Man I really wish we pre-ordered that book.

Is this a book promo?

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

GrandpaPants posted:

Is this a book promo?

Yep, but she'll show up in a later expansion (probably second deluxe box?).

Her 4 will, 4 int, 1 combat, 3 agi seems like perfect stat distribution for a mystic.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Do we have a solid "available for retailer order" date for the first Arkham Horror big box?

Debating whether or not to order it while visiting family for the holidays, since they're already chomping at the bit for the campaign and the two mini adventures.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

PJOmega posted:

Do we have a solid "available for retailer order" date for the first Arkham Horror big box?

Debating whether or not to order it while visiting family for the holidays, since they're already chomping at the bit for the campaign and the two mini adventures.

Nothing printed yet, but I'd put downs stakes in January. It would follow their usual timeframe for an expansion post-initial release.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Zerf posted:

Yep, but she'll show up in a later expansion (probably second deluxe box?).

Her 4 will, 4 int, 1 combat, 3 agi seems like perfect stat distribution for a mystic.

What book is this? Is it still available?

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

BJPaskoff posted:

What book is this? Is it still available?

This: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/11/1/the-investigators-of-arkham-horror/

But all goodies besides the book are pre-order only...

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

I wish I'd known about this before Nov 14th...

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOHQe_b01v8

That last investigator with Duke is crazy good.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

BJPaskoff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOHQe_b01v8

That last investigator with Duke is crazy good.

Haha 42 minute video.

No.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
It's Youtube, turn it on 2x and watch it in 21 minutes

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
Even better, pause it and click on the slider to just jump forward to each new card, the resolution is high enough that you can read them.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Spoilerbs

Guardian
Blackjack
Asset, Cost 1, 0xp
Skill Icons: Combat
Item. Weapon. Melee.
>: Fight. You get +1 Might for this attack. If you perform this attack against an enemy engaged with another investigator and you fail, you deal no damage.
Hand slot

Taunt
Event, Cost 1, 0xp
Skill Icons: Intellect, Combat
Tactic.
Fast. Play only during your turn.
Engage any number of enemies at your location.

Taunt
Event, Cost 1, 2xp
Skill Icons: Intellect, Combat, Agility
Tactic.
Engage any number of enemies at your location. Draw 1 card for each enemy at your location.

Teamwork
Event, 0 Cost, 0xp
Skill Icons: Wild
Tactic.
Investigators at your location may give or trade any number of Item assets, Ally assets, or resources among one another.

Seeker
Laboratory Assistant
Asset, 2 Cost, 0xp
Skill Icons: Intellect
Ally. Miskatonic. Science.
Your maximum handsize is increased by 2 while chekcing your hand size during the upkeep phase.
T: After Laboratory Assistant enters play: Draw 2 cards.
Health 1 Sanity 2
Ally slot.

Strange Solution
Asset, 1 Cost, 0xp
Item. Science.
Skill Icons: Wild
>: Test Intellect (4). If you succeed, discard Strange Solution and draw 2 cards. Record in your Campaign Log that "you have identified the solution."

Shortcut
Event, 0 Cost, 0xp
Skill Icons: Intellect, Agility
Insight. Tactic.
Choose an investigator at your location. Move that investigator to a connecting location.

Seeking Answers
Event, 1 Cost, 0xp
Insight.
Investigate. If you succeed, instead of discovering a clue at your location, discover a clue at a connecting location.

Rogue
Liquid Courage
Asset, 1 Cost, 0xp
Skill Icons: Willpower
Item. Illicit.
Uses (4 supplies)
>:Spend 1 supply: Choose an investigator at you location to heal 1 horror. Then, that investigator tests Willpower (2). If the test succeeds, he or she heals 1 additional horror. If the test fails, he or she discards 1 card at random from his or her hand.

Think On Your Feet
Event, 1 Cost, 0xp
Trick.
Fast. Play when an enemy would spawn at your location.
Immediately move to a connecting location. (The enemy still spawns at your previous location.)

Double or Nothing
Skill, 0xp
Test Icons: Wild
Fortune.
Max 1 committed per skill test.
Double the difficulty of this skill test. If this skill test is successful, resolve the effects of the successful test twice.

Hired Muscle
Asset, 1 Cost, 1xp
Ally. Criminal
You get +1 Comabt.
Forced - At the end of the upkeep phase: You must either pay 1 resource or discard Hired Muscle.
Health 3 Sanity 1
Ally slot.

Mystic
Rite of Seeking
Asset, 4 Cost, 0xp
Skill Icons: Intellect
Spell.
Uses (3 charges).
>: Spend 1 charge: Investigate. Investigate using Willpower instead of Intellect. If you succeed, discover 1 additional clue at this location. If a Skull, Cultist, Broken Tablet, Elder Thing, or Tentacle symbol is revealed during this test, after this test resolves lose all remaining actions and immediately end your turn.
Arcane slot.

Ritual Candles
Asset, 1 Cost, 0xp
Item.
T: After a Skull, Cultist, Broken Tablet, or Elder Thing symbol is revealed during a test you are performing: You get +1 skill value for this test.
Hand slot.

Clarity of Mind
Asset, 2 Cost, 0xp
Spell.
Uses (3 charges).
>: Spend 1 charge: Heal 1 horror from an investigator at your location.
Arcane slot.

Bind Monster
Event, 3 Cost, 2xp
Skill Icons: Willpower, Intellect
Spell.
Evade. This evasion attempt uses Willpower instead of Agility. If you succeed and the enemy is non-Elite, evade it and attach Bind Monster to it.
T: When attacked enemy would ready: Test Willpower. If you succeed, attached enemy does not ready. If you fail, discard Bind Monster.

Survivor
Fire Axe
Asset, 1 Cost, 0xp
Item. Weapon. Melee.
>: Fight. If you have no resources in your resource pool, this attack deals +1 damage.
Free: During an attack using Fire Axe, spend 1 resource: You get +2 combat for this skill test. (Limit three times per attack.)
Hand slot.

Peter Sylvestre (unique)
Asset, 3 Cost, 0xp
Ally. Miskatonic.
You get +1 Agility.
T: After your turn ends: Heal 1 horror from Peter Sylvestre.
Heath: 1 Sanity: 3
Ally slot.

Bait and Switch
Event, 1 Cost, 0xp
Trick.
Evade. If you succeed, if the enemy is non-Elite, evade the enemy and move it to a connecting location.

Peter Sylvestre (unique)
Asset, 3 Cost, 2xp
Ally. Miskatonic.
You get +1 Agility and +1 Willpower
T: After your turn ends: Heal 1 horror from Peter Sylvestre.
Heath: 1 Sanity: 3
Ally slot.

Neutral
Kukri
Asset, 2 Cost, 0xp
Item. Weapon. Melee.
>: Fight. You get +1 Combat for this attack. If you succeed, you may spend 1 additional action to deal +1 damage for this attack.
Hand slot.

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010
So I picked up a binder and some BCW pages to sort sleeved Arkham player cards. Is there a recommended sorting method anyone has? I noticed i can fit two cards in a slot but only on one side of a page. If I do it on the other they start to bow.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

DonnyTrump posted:

So I picked up a binder and some BCW pages to sort sleeved Arkham player cards. Is there a recommended sorting method anyone has? I noticed i can fit two cards in a slot but only on one side of a page. If I do it on the other they start to bow.

Get one of those fancy binders with the side-loading black pages and sort them by player class. They work great, I use them for Game of Thrones and that's three cards on each side and they fit fine. Leave enough space between classes that you won't need to shift cards around for a good long while. There are only four new player cards in each class in the first big box set coming out, so probably only one or two in each of the upcoming smaller expansion packs since they also need room for campaign stuff, so you should be good with leaving about a page or maybe two between classes.

The encounter deck cards I'd just sleeve up and store in deckboxes for each scenario if possible - with two core sets you can make the first three scenarios without having to move cards between encounter decks. I'm guessing the upcoming big box + small pack campaign will end up using a mixture of cards for each scenario so I don't know what that will entail, but at least the standalone scenarios never mix cards from other sets. Either way I wouldn't store them in binders because taking them in and out whenever you want to play a campaign would be a chore.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
So, some thoughts on the Dunwich Legacy cards:

Ritual Candles - Seems good, gives you +1 to about 25% of your draws from the chaos bag. More importantly, it adds +1 to the results that are usually the worst. A hand slot in Mystic isn't that big of a deal, so you could even have two at the same time.

Rite of seeking - mystics seem to gain a lot of key abilities fast - they can now combat, run away and investigate using willpower. This with DttF could probably be enough to be quite good at investigating. 4 cost shouldn't make that much of an impact, mystics have quite cheap cards.

Seeking answers - Seems awesome, can save you a whole turn from saved moves, avoid enemies and make investigations much easier since it uses local shroud. Can be combined with Deduction to suck up two clues.

Shortcut - good card that can save your bacon but can also act as a free movement action.

Think on your feet - Elusive just seems to be better for most scenarios.

Double or nothing - Seems really good. Also gives has a wild icon, so really it's test difficulty * 2 - 1.

Bait and switch - a good card to get rid of enemies, but requires that you have good agi to begin with.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Zerf posted:

So, some thoughts on the Dunwich Legacy cards:

Double or nothing - Seems really good. Also gives has a wild icon, so really it's test difficulty * 2 - 1.

I don't think you get to count icons on cards when you play them, only when you commit them. I'd love to be wrong here though, that would be awesome.

Still really good. I love cards like that, Drawn to the Flame, and Delve Too Deep that really let you gamble.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Skill cards specifically let you, no other card does. I had the biggest headache figuring that out, and crippled my first game because I actually thought they didn't help you with their icons.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Oh jeez I missed that it was a skill. Awesome. I want to marry that card.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Ghosts of Harrenhal has been spoiled: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/41894/game-thrones-second-edition-lcg-spoilers

I don't really get Craster's flavor.

Joffrey, though. drat.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

GrandpaPants posted:

Ghosts of Harrenhal has been spoiled: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/41894/game-thrones-second-edition-lcg-spoilers

I don't really get Craster's flavor.

Joffrey, though. drat.

Joffrey seems good, but not sure if he'll actually fit into any deck. Although at the very least he's 7G-kill a 6G or less character. Harrenhal was spoiled before but I still think that'll be a very powerful card-marshalling that is such a big threat. I could also see some sort of Bara/Lanni deck making good use of Ritual of R'hllor, as that gives you a great outlet for Tyrion gold (if any more were actually needed).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

So in a post Valar world, I take it decks based on characters with power on them aren't that good anymore? I'm trying to figure out how to make a Stark power rush deck using the Tully cards work, but Valar seems to be a pretty easy (and common?) solution to that if I can't find my dupes/Jory/Bodyguards.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I just got an Arkham Horror core set for Christmas, can someone give me the "FFG is poor at explaining rules" primer?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Kai Tave posted:

I just got an Arkham Horror core set for Christmas, can someone give me the "FFG is poor at explaining rules" primer?

Card 117 looks like a player card, not an enemy card. You'll be hunting for it for an hour if you don't know that.

The final result of any skill check cannot be lower than zero. Makes certain Treachery cards less scary.

You can only include a single copy of an investigators special card, like Daisy's tote bag, in your deck.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

GrandpaPants posted:

So in a post Valar world, I take it decks based on characters with power on them aren't that good anymore? I'm trying to figure out how to make a Stark power rush deck using the Tully cards work, but Valar seems to be a pretty easy (and common?) solution to that if I can't find my dupes/Jory/Bodyguards.

I don't think you'll be able to get through tournaments if your plan is to leave 5-8 power on your characters for more than a couple of turns, but I don't think the style is entirely dead. Valar's not being ran nearly as much as it was in 1.0 from what I can see, which means you may not even run into it. But even if they do have it, if you can time when they play it correctly you can really punish them. The big thing is to make sure you don't over commit to the board and still have a couple decent recovery pieces so when they drop Valar, you can immediately put down a key character and be off to the races again. That's of course not even considering Jory, Bodyguards, and Dupes (which it should be rare you get shut out entirely on all of those).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ConfusedUs posted:

Card 117 looks like a player card, not an enemy card. You'll be hunting for it for an hour if you don't know that.

The final result of any skill check cannot be lower than zero. Makes certain Treachery cards less scary.

You can only include a single copy of an investigators special card, like Daisy's tote bag, in your deck.

Yeah, I had a fun hunt for that card along with the others in the introductory encounter.

Trip report: played through the intro encounter as a Roland and barely succeeded by the skin of my teeth on Normal. Spoilers I guess?

I got frozen with fear after entering the hallway and spent a bit too long accumulating resources while trying to shake off the debility. Eventually I got it and started gathering clues, wiped out the cellar in a single go when I got to kill a ghoul there for +1 clue on top of investigating normally, then once I was in the attic I got enough clues to move the act forward and oh hey, ghoul priest. I had Dodge in hand luckily and avoided his first attack, then on my next turn I played another .45 while I shot the priest twice with my .38 special which was down to 2 bullets.

I critically missed one shot, hit the other. Then the doom counter rolled over and I added another ghoul to the location, and then added another during the Mythos Phase. So basically if I didn't kill the priest on that next turn I would be dead. I had to hit two out of three shots with the .45 to kill it and I managed to do so by blowing every combat-icon in my hand to ensure the kill. I then elected to burn my house down. So I have a new ally, 4 experience which got spent on Extra Ammo and an Elder Sign Amulet, and some brand new mental trauma.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Possible rules cockup in above spoiler:

Did you remember to take an attack of opportunity when you played the asset while engaged with the priest?

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Kai Tave posted:

YMMV, but my first few plays I totally cocked up the enemy engagement rules. Some things I missed:

-Enemies can be in either a ready or exhausted state. During the Enemy Phase, exhausted enemies don't attack anyone.

-When you successfully evade an enemy, they become exhausted. This is a great way to punt instead of trying to kill them before they attack you.

-If a ready enemy is EVER, AT ANY TIME in the same location as at least one investigator, they will automatically engage. They never just stand around on the other side of the room waiting politely (unless they have the keyword Aloof).

-If you are engaged with one or more enemies they will take an automatic Attack of Opportunity EVERY TIME you take any action other than to Fight, Evade, Parley, or Resign. If you get double-teamed by two ghouls and you take an action to equip your .45, they will both get a free attack on you. If you play an action off a card like Book of Shadows to recharge a spell or Medical Texts to try and heal yourself, enemies will rip the poo poo out of you for it.

-Oh, and Attacks of Opportunity don't exhaust enemies, so they will KEEP ripping the poo poo out of you for each and every action you take that isn't fighting back or running away. It's super important that you have your spells/weapons equipped before you get into a fight.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Do the cellar and attic do damage every time you enter them?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Do the cellar and attic do damage every time you enter them?

That's what the card seems to imply. Basically get it done in one and leave.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Obama 2012 posted:

-If you are engaged with one or more enemies they will take an automatic Attack of Opportunity EVERY TIME you take any action other than to Fight, Evade, Parley, or Resign. If you get double-teamed by two ghouls and you take an action to equip your .45, they will both get a free attack on you. If you play an action off a card like Book of Shadows to recharge a spell or Medical Texts to try and heal yourself, enemies will rip the poo poo out of you for it.

Correct, I'd add that cards with "Fast" keyword (Elusive, for example) do not take an action to play, thus you don't take the punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Obama 2012 posted:

Technically correct but adding this for clarity: Fast cards like Mind Over Matter and free activations (the squiggly line) like on Beat Cop don't use an action so they don't trigger AoO.

Another nuance: if you are engaged with 2 enemies, and spend an action to attack/evade/parley enemy A, enemy B will not AoO you.

E: ahhh beaten

theroachman fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 21, 2016