Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yayaka gon' die. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:same:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yayaka gon' die. :ohdear:

I hope she transforms. It's the expected culmination of her arc.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I can't believe they skipped the ED! :mad:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Helter Skelter posted:

I can't believe they skipped the ED! :mad:

Worth it.

"I'm going to save Cocona because I love love love her!" gently caress yes! Go get her, Papika!

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Worth it.

"I'm going to save Cocona because I love love love her!" gently caress yes! Go get her, Papika!

:black101:
Yayaka best wingwoman

Also :stare: thats certainly an outfit on Nyunyu

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I hate everything about this light blue haired chick.

Also this episode made me realize Coconut was really holding the show together, and her barely showing up was really noticeable. Her mom's a way less interesting character, and the actual plot's still too convoluted when the show focuses on that.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Oh there's two more episodes of this?

Also, Emily Rand's articles on this are pretty good. Particularly the recent one on the language of flowers and symbolism in the show.

https://formeinfullbloom.wordpress.com/2016/12/11/pieces-of-yayaka-flower-language-in-flip-flappers/

quote:

The common meaning of the white clover flower is similar to the clover itself — luck and fortune. It also means “think of me” or the promise of a life of leisure.

More importantly, white clover flowers also carry the meaning of revenge for broken promises. The giver gifts the object of their affection with a white clover wreath, asking their potential partner to think of them. Should they break that promise, the white clover promises revenge.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 15, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Something I just realized about the ending sequence.

So, I didn't fully realize at first, but Papika can't use her powers now. Since she's only ever been able to use them while syncing with Mimi. But Yayaka showing up at the end isn't just for a pep-talk and a new surfboard. She brought the fragment Mimi gave Salt before almost killing him - which will presumably grant her some PI powers and also resonate with the one that's still in Papika's anklet. And their feelings are in sync because they both love Cocona. So Yayaka is totally about to go Flip Flapping and be Papika's temporary partner until they rescue Cocona!

I love love love this loving show.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
:( Flip Flappers without ~flip flap flip flap~ is hardly Flip Flappers at all!

Oh but at least Uexkull is okay.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I will say I still have no idea what NyuNyu's role in the story is supposed to be. She was introduced with super-ominous framing and she's creepy as poo poo, but then Yayaka seemingly just clowns her and now she's a friend I guess?

Only serious weak point in the show's writing, IMO.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Well my read is that Nyunyu's role in the story is just to represent Yayaka's sense of inadequacy. Now that she seems to have gotten over that, she can be pretty much sidelined.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
My read is that cat name's role is to fulfill the moeblob quota.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

Well my read is that Nyunyu's role in the story is just to represent Yayaka's sense of inadequacy. Now that she seems to have gotten over that, she can be pretty much sidelined.

That and she kind of represents how little the klan actually gave a poo poo about Yayaka.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I think the staff forgot they put her in the op until the last second

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
So it's obvious Klan leader is Salt's crazy dad right? We saw his eyes in the last couple episodes and it sure looked like them.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

So it's obvious Klan leader is Salt's crazy dad right? We saw his eyes in the last couple episodes and it sure looked like them.

I don't think that's even up for grabs at this point. They have the same voice, rough size, motivations, and if dead Klan leader isn't Salt's dad, who is clearly super evil and didn't seem to die at the end of the flashback, that seems like an odd hanging thread.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Spiritus Nox posted:

I don't think that's even up for grabs at this point. They have the same voice, rough size, motivations, and if dead Klan leader isn't Salt's dad, who is clearly super evil and didn't seem to die at the end of the flashback, that seems like an odd hanging thread.

Top conehead's reactions to Mimi, uh, doing her thing are pointedly the same as those that Salt's dad shows after being in the machine. So yeah I don't see any other explanation.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Apparently people on /a/ and 2ch were calling that as early as ep 1 or 2, same with robogran.

I really wish this show had better ratings though :saddowns: it's really not doing well. At the very least it might become a cult classic.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zeruel posted:

Apparently people on /a/ and 2ch were calling that as early as ep 1 or 2, same with robogran.

I really wish this show had better ratings though :saddowns: it's really not doing well. At the very least it might become a cult classic.

I really hope. I feel like it's practically the Platonic Ideal of cult classics.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I think it's a show that will get a lot of recommendations over time from cool anime fans like us who know what's good

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
I mean this show should never get a sequel unless they somehow screw up the finale so the lousy blu-ray sales don't really bother me.

The show is good and fun. Yayaka kicking Papika out of her funk was great.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lestaki posted:

I mean this show should never get a sequel unless they somehow screw up the finale

I agree, but I would ABSOLUTELY be down for a spiritual successor.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

I just hope yayaka finds her own cocona :saddowns:

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Cocona is her Cocona, she just has a completely different mindset.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Weird BIAS posted:

Cocona is her Cocona, she just has a completely different mindset.

...harsh.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, I didn't fully realize at first, but Papika can't use her powers now. Since she's only ever been able to use them while syncing with Mimi.

She can't use her powers because she's not in Pure Illusion. They've never had powers outside. That's it's leaking IRL might change that, but it seems too unstable just yet, which is why they aimed for a nice round looking one to get in.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Man this show is great. I don't want it to end, but I'm looking forward to the finale anyway.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ranzear posted:

She can't use her powers because she's not in Pure Illusion. They've never had powers outside. That's it's leaking IRL might change that, but it seems too unstable just yet, which is why they aimed for a nice round looking one to get in.

Yeah, well without a partner I'm not sure if she'd be able to use her powers even IN Pure Illusion.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, well without a partner I'm not sure if she'd be able to use her powers even IN Pure Illusion.

I think she just needs a reason to. Just getting in was/is the hard part.

I think anyone is capable of having powers in there (Yayaka), you just have to ʙᴇʟɪᴇᴠᴇ.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

:vince:

a kitten posted:

Man this show is great. I don't want it to end, but I'm looking forward to the finale anyway.

I know the feeling, I really want to see how it ends but at the same time I don't want it to be over so soon.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

well, guess my fears about the direction of the show after last episode were unwarranted.

i will say, i was a lot more interested in mimi until the last like, third of this episode. there's no way her insane, world-melding dedication to cocona doesn't end with cocona dramatically rejecting her and setting off the last big conflict.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/bisexualrobot/status/809639047794565124

Nice.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Aw, all 3 of them got to be in a shot together, that's nice. :unsmith:

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Ranzear posted:

It's certainly a different flavor from Madoka.

Episode 78? I might have numbered the last ones wrong.

Now entering Kevin Flynn. Enjoy your stay!

I'm trying to come up with a pun for a burly pigeon but I'm coming up short.

Goddamit. I know that voice. I think it's Teru from Mob Psycho but I can't find the character anywhere.

ᴀ ᴇ s ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ᴛ ɪ ᴄ

It should be obvious!

GATTAI

This entire series was worth that moment.

Boop.

Oooooh, that's who we incepted this time. Duh.

And yeah, I saw there's a post-credits on this one. Yikes.

Episode 9 is recent enough that I'm gonna just watch and then go back through the thread now. The Brobot and Brobun PV at the end was super informative though.

Episode 10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed5Bh_DbHPU

Hah! Someone did name them!

actually the different names are in the credits. if you'll notice Papika's VA is listed a bunch in that episode.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Xinder posted:

actually the different names are in the credits. if you'll notice Papika's VA is listed a bunch in that episode.

Ah that's what that was. I should have stopped and read the kana.

Also, I suspected Cocona's glasses were actually Salt's, to go with speculating he was her father, but they were careful not to show them until now. They fall out of his pocket when Papikana pushes them into the lake.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 16, 2016

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Yayaka was amazing in this episode. It would have been really easy for them to just push her aside or even get rid of her after the last couple of episodes, so I'm really happy that the opposite is happening.

I noticed that Salt's dad and Cocona's robot grandmother looked very similar to each other, like they based her design off of him.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It' been a few episodes so I forget, did they ever explain who that guy with the laptop was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

It' been a few episodes so I forget, did they ever explain who that guy with the laptop was

...Salt?

• Locked thread