Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

people saying new doom and wolf TNO suck are blowing my mind, especially when they recommend painkiller whose weapons felt like total rear end

that era of shooters that had painkiller and serious sam was like, people thought they could fix shooter design and conceptually they may have been on the right track but they forgot to put the fun in

e: to elaborate, OG serious sam's concept of sending swarms of enemies at you should be intense but when the weapons feel like poo poo and every level is just one giant courtyard after another, it just becomes dull instead. painkiller's design is a little better but if you wanna talk about linear, that game is just like.. "enemies over here!! oh no enemies over there!! now go down this very narrow hallway--ENEMIES!!"

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah Painkiller and its enemies everywhere rule. Totally agree

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Dewgy posted:

:catstare:

Wolf:TNO was great. I hate to have to be the one to tell you this, but you might not have a soul.

Seriously. Even I have, like, nothing bad to say about it aside from mayyybe being disappointed with the ending. And the fact that you never get to use that :krad: Jewish Iron Man armor yourself.

:madmax::hf::blazkowicz:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I enjoyed both Doom and Wolf TNO but I still think Painkiller is better, the pure gameplay design was incredibly fun and polished and it offered actual challenge for mobility and crowd control. Also the stake gun was more fun and visceral than any weapon in both Doom and Wolf.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mods knew (how good painkiller is)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

It was also weird when they were like "We have the Quakecon footage if you finally wanna show it off" and its like 2 seconds long of a crowd going nuts at something off screen. And they cop to the fact that most of the crowd was people who worked on the game, basically planting their own reception.

They also shared more footage of the canned Doom 4 that I don't think was available before, though maybe I just hadn't seen it around.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
At the very least can we stop pretending you can substitute a 4 for an o

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Looper posted:

At the very least can we stop pretending you can substitute a 4 for an o

What about d2016m

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
DOOIV|

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nice

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I'll allow it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

They also shared more footage of the canned Doom 4 that I don't think was available before, though maybe I just hadn't seen it around.

That was pretty cool. Especially the early glory kill concept footage

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Quest For Glory II posted:

people saying new doom and wolf TNO suck are blowing my mind, especially when they recommend painkiller whose weapons felt like total rear end

that era of shooters that had painkiller and serious sam was like, people thought they could fix shooter design and conceptually they may have been on the right track but they forgot to put the fun in

e: to elaborate, OG serious sam's concept of sending swarms of enemies at you should be intense but when the weapons feel like poo poo and every level is just one giant courtyard after another, it just becomes dull instead. painkiller's design is a little better but if you wanna talk about linear, that game is just like.. "enemies over here!! oh no enemies over there!! now go down this very narrow hallway--ENEMIES!!"

did you play the original second encounter? That game had those awesome physics rooms so you're jumping up and down all over the place and then those bone demons come in and they're bouncing all over the place and you may have a co op partner who is also bouncing everywhere and they were a blast.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hope they call DOOM 5 "DOOMS"

e: DOOM5

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Leper Residue posted:

did you play the original second encounter? That game had those awesome physics rooms so you're jumping up and down all over the place and then those bone demons come in and they're bouncing all over the place and you may have a co op partner who is also bouncing everywhere and they were a blast.
i'm sure that the game is more fun with co-op but man the original 1st/2nd encounter weapons feel like trash and it was disappointing to go back to when I played last year

the one I haven't tried again was Serious Sam 2 because i remember playing the demo a decade ago and thinking "this is just.. off somehow". maybe it got better with age idk

i'm playing slime rancher now and it's a good 'healing' game, can i make that a genre. so far i unlocked the overgrowth

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Finally managed to start the new Shantae tonight after getting my backer code for it last Tuesday. I haven't seen a game with such fluid and lovely animations since Wario Land: Shake It, and I especially like that they ditched the Metroidvania elements and made it a straight platformer. Definitely worth a look imo

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

precision posted:

I hope they call DOOM 5 "DOOMS"

e: DOOM5

D66M6

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Nasgate posted:

Wolfenstein:TNO is about a former neo-nazi realizing real nazis are bad and killing them all with throwing knives.

I think you played a different TNO than the rest of us.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For the record, ammo/armor/etc in Wolfenstein TNO is even weirder than just having to manually pick it up. If you're looking at it when you walk over it, you have to E on it to pick it up. If you aren't looking, it collects automatically.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hello i like titanfall 2

https://twitter.com/oddiummm/status/809612955285393408

https://twitter.com/oddiummm/status/809613451224027137

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Wolfenstein: TNO had some of the best video game shotguns ever

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I was always disappointed that you only get to use the sweet double-barrel for the hospital level and then never again. The Old Blood brought it back, but you get it far too late and after the barrel gets cut down it's just nowhere near as cool imo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The mega man x2 final boss was cool, just a wireframe andross looking floating head that spawns random enemy sprites and barfs lasers

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://a.pomf.cat/dehdpp.mp4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Quest For Glory II posted:

i'm sure that the game is more fun with co-op but man the original 1st/2nd encounter weapons feel like trash and it was disappointing to go back to when I played last year

the one I haven't tried again was Serious Sam 2 because i remember playing the demo a decade ago and thinking "this is just.. off somehow". maybe it got better with age idk

if you don't like serious sam tfe or tse, stay far, far, far, far away from serious sam 2. the guns in it feel infinitely worse, as someone who enjoys the first two, and where most of the humor in the originals was just in goofy easter eggs you could stumble onto, serious sam 2 has HILARIOUS VIDEO GAME JOKES ABOUT DUKE NUKEM FOREVER and terrible cutscenes that aren't even good if you like the goofy cutscenes in serious sam 3

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Real hurthling! posted:

its always trendy to tell the truth.

Don't be a fuckhead.

In Training posted:

It was also weird when they were like "We have the Quakecon footage if you finally wanna show it off" and its like 2 seconds long of a crowd going nuts at something off screen. And they cop to the fact that most of the crowd was people who worked on the game, basically planting their own reception.
They said some of the audience, not most of.
History in the making folks, a good guy mann post

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

let's talk about the Hunter slime.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Diet: Meat

Don't wanna watch that guy eat

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

My god that thing is cute! Where do you find it?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

My god that thing is cute! Where do you find it?
There's an area behind a slime key door that has hunter slimes, honey slimes, and puddle slimes. You have to feed a pink or phosphor gordo until they explode into little slimes and leave behind a key to pick up

There's one area I ended up missing that has "rad slimes" because I don't know where the third key-toting gordo is. i found two tabby gordos but the one i fed just left a teleporter.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Have to echo the sentiment earlier in the thread that Doom was a deeply ok game.

I only played it a couple of weeks ago and I was was sort of underwhelmed by it. The last third is tedious as gently caress because monster arenas are past boring at that stage and the story is so garbage they just shouldn't have bothered with one at all.

I struggled to finish it even though I only played a level or two a night. It definitely was not worth the €20 I paid for it, maybe worth a fiver. So over rated.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm skimming through the Steam thread since I haven't read it in like 12 days and actually just saw your awful complaining about ~flawed games~ when a bunch of them that were listed are great, then proceeded to put skyrim on your list of games you recommend, so I'm not sure you should continue being so aggressive with your opinions. Or at least, understand that the people who didn't enjoy it or found it middling are a significant minority to the people who loved the poo poo out of new doom.

Rdit: I'd love to know what difficulty people who disliked it played it on. I did ultraviolence and had a blast. It was like a ballet of death. I enjoyed the ending levels a lot because the major fight arenas were just packed with demon after demon, the fights were intense with some arenas throwing almost every type of demon at you.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Dec 16, 2016

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm skimming through the Steam thread since I haven't read it in like 12 days and actually just saw your awful complaining about ~flawed games~ when a bunch of them that were listed are great, then proceeded to put skyrim on your list of games you recommend, so I'm not sure you should continue being so aggressive with your opinions. Or at least, understand that the people who didn't enjoy it or found it middling are a significant minority to the people who loved the poo poo out of new doom.

Posting about someone's posting in another thread....not chill man

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Captain Invictus posted:

I vaguely remember my list and I think it was more a list of things I had played recently rather than a list of recommendations.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Right, it was a list of stuff you currently had installed, instead of what people asked you for, that being a list of games you considered flawless if you're claiming all these games many people enjoy are flawed or terrible. Like what you think is perfect if stardew valley, Witcher 3, etc don't do it for you.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I think it was a list of 'perfect, best in the genre games' that somebody asked him to post in order to explain the argument about how people shouldn't recommend games that aren't absolutely perfect 10/10 AAA+ experiences.

However, I don't think it's wise to use somebody's previous post from another thread as a dismissive argument in another discussion. I don't see spudsbuckley saying he doesn't allow others to like Doom here or something like that, he only wrote which side he personally agrees with and that's it. Sure that 'I'd pay maybe $5 for it' is obvious bait and ripe for tearing apart but with different arguments.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
You know what's annoying? Ordering something and getting absolutely zero feedback on if and when it has been shipped :|

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

On the inverse I hate it when people don't leave feedback when they receive something I've posted on eBay so I spend a couple of weeks wondering if they actually got it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sakurazuka posted:

On the inverse I hate it when people don't leave feedback when they receive something I've posted on eBay so I spend a couple of weeks wondering if they actually got it.
Do you print the labels through Ebay? It comes with built in tracking and a discount sometimes, too. Easy way to see if it's been delivered or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nah I'm more of a scratch it on the outside of an old envelope with a marker sort of seller.

• Locked thread