Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grem posted:

Schadenfreude is on the normal people who don't give a gently caress about mass transit yet still try to read this thread.

I disagree. I enjoy seeing presumed functional adults have a conniption when faced with the idea of numbered transit lines.

e: The schadenfreude is on anyone who clicked “›” to read this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Random Stranger posted:

Miami has one of those as well.

It's just as comically useless as you'd expect.

I suspect that someone was offering giant government grants in the 1980's to build these things...

We'll they did put Brockway, Ogdenville and North Haverbrook on the map...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/paigebrittany/status/809563991315980289

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh are we talking about "why even bother" transit projects?

here is the phoenix light-rail line

here is the above map area overlaid on a map of phoenix

(note: the basic phoenix street grid, which is obvious in the satellite image to the west and south of the light rail, is made up of 1-mile squares. so you have a sense of scale)

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 05:38 on Dec 16, 2016

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Once again Detroit wins with their 3 mile long Q Line down Woodward Ave: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QLine

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
All public transport systems are shameful compared to the perfection that the Swiss have achieved.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

oh are we talking about "why even bother" transit projects?

here is the phoenix light-rail line

here is the above map area overlaid on a map of phoenix

(note: the basic phoenix street grid, which is obvious in the satellite image to the west and south of the light rail, is made up of 1-mile squares. so you have a sense of scale)

And it stops running after like 11pm. Our it used to I think. Really is just lovely.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Solice Kirsk posted:

And it stops running after like 11pm. Our it used to I think. Really is just lovely.

Show some respect. That light rail gave us the Light Rail Ninja video

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Grem posted:

Schadenfreude is on the normal people who don't give a gently caress about mass transit yet still try to read this thread.

Here in Minnesota we only have bike trails, mass transit is for the weak.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://fat.gfycat.com/DeliciousAfraidHerculesbeetle.mp4

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

How tragic is it to have a hobby as harmless as train watching and having even that get hosed over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su-DMP_z_rs

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
http://i.imgur.com/8crZTil.mp4
http://i.imgur.com/wWMMkNA.mp4
http://i.imgur.com/wLgHo8B.mp4

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUm2Im3SvtU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhVSgsu2FiA

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

This reminds me of a whale watching trip I did earlier this year. We were expecting this humpback to come up in this spot for a breach and I was primed with burst shot. Well some other rear end-gently caress of a boat decided to cut in front of us right at that moment.

Assholes.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I love the physics of this. This guy is a professional too.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop
Did someone say public transport?
Meet Tuffi!

She was fine

The elephant falling is unfortunately a composite done after the fact. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuffi

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I like to think this guy was committing some crime and this was how he was apprehended.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Henchman of Santa posted:

I like to think this guy was committing some crime and this was how he was apprehended.

I like to imagine its like the go-to prank down at the Christmas tree lot. Like the equivalent of the hot foot in baseball. Its probably true actually, I bet they pull that one someone once a day.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

The crime was letting quality trees like those go for clearance like prices!

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

I love the hands-on-hips at the end when he finally gives up chasing after it.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

xergm posted:

They cut off the ending where it rolls into Chekhov.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

xergm posted:

Reposting for classic hands-on-hips reaction.

Pardon the meme, it was far and away the best version I could find.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Bigger signs :shrug:

It's. Really. Not. That. Hard.

Neither is learning where the gently caress the train goes by looking at a map. Let's hope you never change where your train terminals are because then you get to change every sign on the entire route.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Bird in a Blender posted:

Neither is learning where the gently caress the train goes by looking at a map. Let's hope you never change where your train terminals are because then you get to change every sign on the entire route.

You mean like you already do every time the transit authority decides to gently caress with routing? :v:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
No, you see, just because every other country in the world does it like that is no reason for New York to start. Naming things by where they actually go? Insanity!

Remember, this whole thing was started off by New Yorkers coming in and posting about how bad their subway lines are.

It reminds me of that Onion article "‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens"

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

That slip completely saved her (his?) life. She would have gotten creamed by that car otherwise.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gorilla Salad posted:

Bigger signs :shrug:

It's. Really. Not. That. Hard.

Times Square-42nd Street is a transit nexus where a single sign showing which way to go can have 9 services on it. You gonna put 9 full names on a sign hanging over everyone's heads and still be readable?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Keep going guys I'm sure we'll finally crack this mass transit nut.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

chitoryu12 posted:

Times Square-42nd Street is a transit nexus where a single sign showing which way to go can have 9 services on it. You gonna put 9 full names on a sign hanging over everyone's heads and still be readable?

...Have smaller hubs?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Aerdan posted:

...Have smaller hubs?

It's a multitude of combined stations that stretch 3 or 4 blocks thanks to connecting tunnels between them. It's more convenient for people to walk under the street and buildings without having to deal with crosswalks, so all the stations around there are connected in some way. Every station also has more than enough signage to point the way toward each and every train you can reach from any point in the station, so for big hubs like that you end up with as many as 9 services listed on one sign. As you travel, they split off down different corridors and staircases.

The red, blue, and purple services up there are divided between two different stations several city blocks apart. There's just a huge tunnel you can use.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

TRAINS

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
the ghost of brother johnathan smiles upon this thread today

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dex posted:

the ghost of brother johnathan smiles upon this thread today

What exactly happened to him?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Gorilla Salad posted:

No, you see, just because every other country in the world does it like that is no reason for New York to start. Naming things by where they actually go? Insanity!

Remember, this whole thing was started off by New Yorkers coming in and posting about how bad their subway lines are.

It reminds me of that Onion article "‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens"

You should tell London to change the Picadilly line to the Heathrow Terminal 5 - Cockfosters line, it's funnier that way.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

AFewBricksShy posted:

That slip completely saved her (his?) life. She would have gotten creamed by that car otherwise.

Good call, I almost missed that.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

Here's a jellyfish less than 2cm long, completely invisible in the water, whose sting you can't even feel, but will make your heart explode.

Also, a side effect of the venom is extreme dread.

Irukandji scare the poo poo out of me.

Look how small this fucker is:

well that's a whole lot of nope concentrated into something small. This is why I avoid the ocean

:smithfrog:

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

marshmallow creep posted:

thought of hand beezies and died

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

marshmallow creep posted:

He was made mod of PYF and then melted down slowly over the course of a few months, then blew up at the admins, who demodded him and made fun of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bird in a Blender posted:

You should tell London to change the Picadilly line to the Heathrow Terminal 5 - Cockfosters line, it's funnier that way.

I wish they would. The world needs more ridiculous naming conventions.